Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Trip report. I played two hours in Gridania and it was an information overload. I didn't even fight anything. So so many vendors, guilds, and just general things you could do that the town quests and tutorial wants you to know from the start. And there was an Undertale tribute band consisting exclusively of oompa loompas.

So yeah, a pretty fun experience that felt close to what all the isekai shows are doing these days.

I went in expecting to bounce off because everyone says it's a story focused MMO, and WoW broke my ability to enjoy RPG dialogue ages ago. Through some wizardry they've found a way to make MMO lore palatable and engaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Does the game have traditional dungeons?

I tried going to the blue dungeon icons on the map, but the NPCs won't let me in at 30. I assumed that's where the Duty Finder was sending people, but that seems to be its own thing then? Which makes sense since those instances barely last minutes and don't need me to heal at all yet.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

I was thinking something that'd take 10 to 30 minutes, with a series of isolated encounters. Maybe with a couple of mini bosses before the final fight.

I guess I just miss a way to socialize as a group. It's how I got to know people in old MMOs. It makes sense if that's outdated design though, and it's more about getting in there and blasting fools now.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

I just did Sastasha in the level 15 ARR MQ "It's Probably Pirates", and that was exactly what I was looking for when I asked about dungeons. Sorry for the confusion.

My conjurer is 31 and I'd previously been doing Guildhests up to "More Than A Feeler", mistaking Guildhests for dungeons. So yeah, I lacked the knowledge to ask what I was trying to ask in a way that would make sense to the thread.

I'm super relived that there's stuff like Sastasha though. That was fun!

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

I need directions on how to go from Steam free trial to Steam complete edition. I'm worried it'll mess up somehow, and I definitely don't want to re-download the entire game through the launcher because that took forever.

I just bought complete edition, but haven't installed the new launcher that Steam wanted to add. Should I remove the trial launcher first or will that remove the whole game?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the quick reply!

Trip report. I wouldn't call the process foolproof, because it assumes you're familiar with the archaic ritual of MMO account management, but it was straight forward other than that. Posting my steps in case someone else needs this later:

I removed the trial launcher from Steam, and let Steam install the full game launcher. The new launcher had a Steam pop up window with a CD key that it said I'd need to enter somewhere. It didn't specify where.

The new launcher was identical to the trial launcher and still assumed I was on trial. I went to the Square-E account management and entered the CD key from the launcher's account button. It recognized that this was happening from the Steam version, and defaulted all the options to such. I restarted the launcher, and it recognized I had the full game.

It started a 80GB download on login. I had checked my steamapps FF14 folder earlier, and it was ~50GB before while afterwards it was starting from 0. Either the new download wiped it clean, or changing launchers removed it. It's unfortunate that it doesn't tack on the new stuff, but at least it doesn't make two different copies. It remembered all my settings.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 17, 2024

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

The emote menu really should specify that not displaying emotes to chat includes hiding your emote text from everyone. That's a huge courtesy feature hidden by poor verbiage. I assumed it was only client-side.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Vitamean posted:

It's very likely that there's at least one veteran in an duty finder party that can clarify anything, though. Like, I dunno when the very first stack marker appears now (brayflox?) but if someone's too far they'd be able to bring up "hey, we want everyone in this". The tankbuster thing I think works because if a newbie healer is still getting used to their kit they don't want to feel like the party cascading into a wipe is solely their fault just because they didn't manage to prevent the tank from dying just before the boss queued up a tb. There is a ramp up, though, so I think if you keep making those same mistakes as a new player move further along into ARR's mandatory content they'll see the consequences of messing them up start to build.

The first stack marker I'm aware of is with Nero.

I assumed it was a fancy danger marker and wiped with NPCs a few times until the RNG centered it on someone other than me. People explained it to me later when I was causing party wipes.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Is Aurum Vale supposed to be a difficulty spike?

My White Mage is level 62 and i126, wrapping up ARR. Blind "Leveling Roulette" runs have gone well, but Aurum Vale was rough. I never had that many wipes before. It destroyed my confidence. We were off to a rocky start from the first pull, where in hindsight I should have stuck to the tank to not lose line of sight. That put me on edge for the whole run.

I barely understand the fruit mechanic. Should I eat fruit when I recognize the debuff thing, or is it a stacking debuff that it's best to clear later? Does the fruit go to inventory or is it automatically eaten on interaction? I was too flustered to check.

And for trash, the tank got chipped hard through regen while mass pulling. I felt I had to Cure 2 before Holy, which spiraled into Cure 2 spam. I didn't dare swiftcast Holy because I wanted instant ress available.

Hopefully it was just first time anxiety, but cliff notes are welcome if you have them.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Mar 24, 2024

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Alright, thank you. That's a relief.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

I learned there's sit-up and push-up emotes.

How can I pass that up? They would dramatically increase my ability to crush Golden Saucer Gates!

Just have to do some hunting missions to level up my grand company rank, get access to squadrons and do some of those.

That doesn't sound too hard!

What's that you say, do a dungeon to rank up? Okay...

:shepface:

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 25, 2024

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Oh that trick changes everything! Thanks!

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

I've arrived in Heavensward, and can't get over how they made the most vertical zones possible AND removed the ability to fly.

I'm guessing this happened cause flying wasn't in classic ARR, but still... Really adds insult to injury.

Is there anything I can do to regain flight fast, or is it locked to the main quest?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Alright, good to hear the over-commitment to vertical design is a HW thing at least.

I kinda like the Anarchy Online Shadowlands vibes from Sea of Clouds though. So I'm not hating too much on it.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Just unlocked Sage. I have like 10 buttons with the same aoe heal.

I'll look up a guide and figure it, but they really could intro these new classes better, or consolidate some buttons.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

I went into FF14 thinking I'd like big rotations, but I've ended up playing White Mage exclusively. Something about it just felt really good to play.

Sage looks so cool though! Gonna buckle down and learn it.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Chillgamesh posted:

Forgive me if I'm saying something you already know but you know the difference between spells and abilities right? A lot of the AoE heals you're looking at are either spells (on global cooldown with cast time), instant spells (on global cooldown with no cast time), or abilities (off global cooldown with no cast time). All the healers have abilities which seem redundant until you realize some have a cast time, some are instant, and some can be used instantly even while your global cooldown isn't ready.

Fair question. I'm aware, but I'm like 54 in the MSQ, so I only recently started getting story quests and Duty Dungeons where I actually have access to my heal abilities. I weave Lucid Dreaming and Presence of Mind, but it's a work in progress breaking the habit of muscle memory Cure 2 heals.

Duodecimal posted:

I main a 90 whm and got Sage and Sch to 80 so far and have the button assignments set up so that it's somewhat painless to switch between them.

I've gotten Astrologian up to 76 and have no loving idea where to put these buttons. AST just does not map as easily.

Oh yeah, I gave up on AST. I like using hotkeys instead of mouseclicking, and that wasn't happening.

I haven't unlocked all the White Mage buttons yet, but this is the layout I've been using since I gave up on manually switching hotbar 1 for 2 on demand. Was pretty happy that I managed to fit it all without more bars.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 2, 2024

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

NachtSieger posted:

Rumor has it if you play Let It Go, one of Disney's lawyers logs into their FF14 account and then forcibly PvPs you to death to stop you from finishing it.

And it turns out weirdos that craft near bards are actually just trying to stop Metallica from recognizing Enter Sandman on harps.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Qwezz posted:

some kind of minion event starting 24th to Dawntrail release.

That looks absolutely horrifying.

I want it!

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

When you think about it, a person doing blind Extremes in Duty Finder is just one clear away from becoming a jaded veteran repeating Extremes in Duty Finder.

We're not so different, you and I! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

I do want to experience the mechanics as intended at least once. So I don't just want some max level to carry me through.

Same. There's so much content that I'm already breezing through from being over-leveled. I appreciate learning how to scale the occasional wall in Extremes.

This isn't a complaint about being over-leveled either btw. It's convenient not being bothered by mobs in the overworld. :v: