Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Flair posted:

The Heavensward Trailer seems to say otherwise

So do the stormblood and shadowbringers trailers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I want duty support savage raids, where Alphinaud pastes a macro, Urianger suggests an alternate strat nobody can understand, and then Alisaie repeatedly wipes the party by greeding her melee phase

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

I have completed 10 of the masked carnivale missions. Looking at list of other missions, they seem doable but goodness gracious these things can be a beating. Fingers crossed siegfried is easier than the blue mage man previous. He probably isn't.

I think he is easier, but #31 makes up for it by being harder

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

In any case you'll do much better with a class you click with than one which you read on the internet has the biggest dps when played perfectly

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Shows up pretty clearly on the graph there, the gap between a good and bad player is much bigger than the gap between a "good" and "bad" job

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I had someone get upset at me for leaving once, it was a p4s loot party that was actually an act 2 prog party

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I'm willing to spend a long time helping bad players in a dungeon or whatever. In savage PF though if it's listed as a clear/loot/late prog party I'm bailing once it's obvious the goal isn't happening, and the nine year old can join a practice from start party if they don't like that.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I've only reported one person and they were trying to scam me with a fake link to the official forums

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

orcane posted:

The actual level of you as a tank will influence how well these pulls will go. Due to the unlocking feature of role skills it's very possible to go into the initial dungeons with only a single defensive cooldown (rampart) which is a huge difference to syncing down to two or three (reprisal, arm's length).

It's kind of weird how you don't lose role actions when you sync down. (And then it's more or less irrelevant except for tanks, since everyone else's role actions are pretty niche, although having Peloton in early dungeons is nice)

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Ninja is total poo poo at 50 because you don't have Armour Crush so you have to waste a mudra on huton every time

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Basically install the app, get the emote then uninstall the app

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

It's wild that something like DRG doesn't get an AOE skill until level 40 but DNC has two right from the start

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

When two paladins meet, their job stones glow and then the dominant paladin's job stone absorbs the glow from the submissive paladin's job stone. No coherent explanation is given for why this is, why anyone should care or why it wasn't widely known to happen before these quests. But everyone, especially the 60-70 quest writers, agrees that the whole thing should be quietly forgotten.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I'd say it's harder than doing a dungeon in a party but it's very doable and often surprisingly quick.

Basic Instinct doubles your damage, and a fully operational blue mage is rather strong even before you count their instant-kill spells (especially when synced down as you don't lose your spells).

On the other hand you have to tank AND heal, and you can die surprisingly quickly. And some boss mechanics are a pain to do solo.

(I generally use Pom Cure with healer mimickry rather than White Wind. WW is great at healing the rest of the party when you're at full health but if you're solo and get chunked down, it won't save you)

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I find Moon Flute a bit awkward for soloing - if you don't get the kill then you can't heal for 15 seconds. I guess the pro play is diamondback just before it expires if final sting isn't an option.

Dareon posted:

Just in general when soloing, how are you supposed to deal with that? Just be so overpowered that you one-shot the boss before they can hit that phase?

I'm at high 60s on my SCH/SMN, figured "I can just unsync the few ARR dungeons I haven't done. Let's try Lost City." Spent the next fifteen minutes getting eaten by the first boss. I didn't want to give up after the first attempt, maybe it could be avoided. All Signs Point To No.

Pretty much, yes be powerful enough. Also, often staying in the jail isn't actually an instant-kill it's just a ton damage so sometimes you can level up some more and be able to wait it out. The other thing is being a bit careful with phase transitions. If the boss uses its jail skill in phase 2 which it enters at 50% HP, you can plink it down to 51% then unleash your burst to kill it as quickly as possible.

Qwertycoatl fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 26, 2022

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Mesadoram posted:

I always loved blue mages in game, hearing how broken blue mages are makes me :allears:.

My friend got me all the expansions as "an early Christmas gift" so I can totally try it out now.

Just be aware that blue mage isn't an "I win" button and early on before you get the good spells you're plinking away with a range of 200 potency spells which apply some crowd control effect.

But, it's really cool when it comes together and eg someone manages to pull together an alliance raid party finder and do all the crystal tower raids in half the normal time

Qwertycoatl fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 26, 2022

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

If you craft La Hee at 100% quality you get the Otamatone version

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

girl dick energy posted:

If you wanna know WHAT they're used for, you can just google the item and the official wiki will tell you. (Though not how useful or pointless that something it's used for is.)

You can also right click it and select "Show recipes using this"

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

If they were coded to use AoE, their abilities would also be adjusted to make them do less damage so it would balance out, since "slower than real players" is a design goal

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The thing about retainer levels being limited to your level is important - if you haven't levelled botanist/miner then you shouldn't use it on your retainer either.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The wine quest is the high point of that alliance raid story

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I think I found "sorry, the corrupted crystal is in another castle" more annoying

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Uganda Loves Me posted:

I'm trying this out for the first time, and I'm really enjoying crafting. I've taken 7 crafting classes to 50+ before my main combat class (paladin) reached 40 lol. It's probably not practical to continue with all of them, but I like being able to equip my character with a full set of high quality gear that I made myself.

Time to actually finish the realm reborn main quest. Or maybe I'll try out leatherworking.

Continuing with all of them is entirely practical - it's very common for people who craft to level them all. Crafters all share gear except for tool/offhand and it's nice to be able to make all the intermediate parts of a craft without having to rely on the marketboard.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Dareon posted:

I would like all classes to have a Shirk so if something punches us we can aim at the tank and slap it.

If you run onto the tank then unless they're asleep their next aoe will pick up the mob (and until they do, that galaxy brain meme from above "mobs having aggro on other players is mitigation" is unironically true)

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Doomykins posted:

standing shoulder to shoulder with the second tank in 8 man roulettes and pumping as much damage as possible to see who is the dominant Tank, glam

I'm convinced this is what the HW PLD quests are about

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The only cutscenes I've skipped have been in the stormblood alliance raids, because they're boring cutscenes about unlikeable characters

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

barclayed posted:

i beat endwalker so i'm killing time by leveling LNC, just got to DRG questlines, oh man estinien is here

DRG is high on the list of job quests that come out weird if you do them later, beaten out only by doing ARR CUL in early HW.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Still, at least no ARR voice is worse than Japanese Tataru

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue4IS3DseyM

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Unless it has "Savage", "Extreme", "The Minstrel's Ballad" (or "The Binding Coils") in the name, you can queue into it on duty finder without knowing anything about it and you'll be basically fine.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah definitely do the raids (find some people to do Coils with unsynced for the story, everything else you can do legit)

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

It gets much better once you get to the next zone, which won't be long after finishing that dungeon

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Saying this will mark me as a boring fun-hater, but it's worth noting that since Endwalker, Engagement does the same damage as Displacement and won't make you accidentally backflip off the arena

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The interface is a bit janky but Teamcraft lets you see crafting rotations other people have made, and experiment with making your own https://ffxivteamcraft.com/community-rotations

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I've never fanta'd but I frequently change my hair between the style I like best and a style that doesn't clip into big collars

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The only vital skill in the game is not caring when you die. Everything else you can just wing it.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

They're rarer now but older trains do still happen. It was post-EW that I happened to kill a random A rank in La Noscea just before a hunt train came in looking for it, and I hurriedly teleported away before they got to the exact location and found me standing over the monster's corpse

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

BurningBeard posted:

Lol. This would be me. I'm just low key stressed about doing group content and didn't want the responsibility of healer or tank. But positional skills stress me out too because of my bad eyesight. Sounds like it's really no big to miss these so that's good to know.

Or play as a ranged or caster DPS with no positionals and no responsibilities the responsibilities of healers and tanks are less than they look, and in normal raids/trials a tank is frequently just a dps who's harder to kill

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

Honestly the Ivalice raid series falls flat for me because they expect me to believe Delita was anything other than a scum sucking snake piece of poo poo.

All that time wasted and your big reveal is that in XIV the dickhead was actually not a dickhead....that blows.

As someone who hasn't played FFT, Ivalice falls flat for me because the big reveal is that someone I've never heard of was actually not a dickhead (also this reveal is conveyed by me sitting in an airship while someone who is a dickhead tries to summarize the plot of an entire game at me)

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The great thing about E11N is that there are no birds, portals, or birds flying through portals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

God Hole posted:

oh I am doing all that stuff too!

btw do the early level side quests eventually go away as you get deeper into the game? or am I going to be playing through like endwalker and still staring at oceans of level 1 50 exp side quest exclamation points in the major cities

The early sidequest markers will be there forever, silently judging you