Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

girl dick energy posted:

I'm in 4.X now and taking my time with stuff, including finally messing with gpose instead of just turning off the UI and blindly screenshotting.

Scroll Lock + PrtScn is all you need :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Every Lala I've ever met has been beyond thrilled to receive hugs and pets so ymmv :shrug:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

I'm not seeing a DoH/DoL list where everything's at least 10 levels over MSQ, so honestly, you could be doing much worse

Every expansion I've capped crafters/gatherers before getting anywhere near even one combat job finished :shobon:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I was teaching my sprout friend about gearing and where to buy Poetics and stuff, and some jackass lunatic barges in and legitimately suggests using pentamelded IL115 crafted instead of Ironworks???
Even if that is stronger, it'd have to be by like, what, 1%? Not to mention if you get level-synced down it just ignores your materia entirely and gives you stats based off the duty's max item level instead, which would be everything until Snowcloak when they'll have outleveled it all anyway!
Needless to say I chewed him out and shut down any notion that you should go and spend hundreds of thousands of gil on crafted gear and materia melding instead of using the effectively free tomestone gear that's better in at least 99.99% of all situations :nallears:

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 2, 2022

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

girl dick energy posted:

KPW is a good person who gives away absurd amounts of gear and materials and help and information to any sprout with even a modicum of interest in getting better and learning more about the game. I am fully ready to believe they were having this conversation in front of the Limsa market board/aetheryte and some dipshit chimed in to remind everyone why you don't get advice from the people who hang out around the Limsa marketboard and aetheryte.

While it was in Limsa, it was actually off in a secluded corner where it was literally just me, my sprout friend, and this weirdo who thought he'd interrupt our conversation with this great advice. But yeah, as mentioned upthread: if you can meld materia, great! But over-/penta-melding is strictly for the most cutting-edge content and absolutely not something you're expected to do otherwise, especially not for leveling :negative:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

That's why you go as a healer so you can AOE the bombs out of range.

You should go healer anyway because Scholar is flagrantly OP in ARR: your fairy does all the healing for you and Art of War has an astonishing 150 potency, which is better than actual DPS jobs and I think the highest flat-out in LV50 content.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Loops posted:

I originally took to this game so much because the community events are unlike anything else. I have to vent about this though because I've been at quite a few of those "twitch dj + ingame club" parties by now, they can be fun, but I'm honestly shocked by how unabashedly corrupt the event organisers are and how no one apparently minds?
Any kinds of contests and giveaways are usually won by staff in my experience, of course /random based giveaways can't be rigged but stuff like glam contests or "first x people to trade me" or other things you can't verify are unfailingly "won" by staff, organisers and even the venue owners (if you're lucky it'll be an owner of an affiliate club winning).
For example, I was at a high-ticket glam contest yesterday which was advertised for days and had incredible turnout because of the high (150mil+) prizes. The first prize was "won" by the owner of the community who organised the event :what: and most of the other prizes went to staff, including the event photographer. It wasn't a public vote, the photographer just announced the winners including herself.
It just seems like tons of people show up to these things expecting a contest and instead get a rigged game that outsiders have no chance of winning. It's frustrating, and no one calls it out.

I'll give you free things if you want :shobon:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

susan b buffering posted:

after ARR they also started working with a different voice acting studio and basically every character gets re-cast aside from some later-introduced characters. so you can look forward to a pretty abrupt and significant improvement in the VA

Read: they hired actual British people instead of people putting on silly accents

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Offkorn posted:

Unless you're doing current-tier Savage raids, the convenience of combat macros far exceeds any efficiency loss. Especially for classes with 20 instants like Bard, Mech, and Drg; just toss them all on a macro and weave with a single button.

Of course, some classes don't gain as much from macros. RDM, BLM, Sam, and Nin being the obvious ones.

:siren:DO NOT USE MACROS FOR COMBAT SKILLS:siren:
Not only are they liable to break horribly mid-fight and leave you standing idle/using the wrong skills for however long, but most skills are in intervals of 1.5s or 2.5s by design while macros can only queue up skills on whole seconds, meaning you're losing at least 20% DPS just by using them at all. Macros are for crafting and funny UI stuff ONLY :siren:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Crafting leves are stupid busted OP now(?) so I wrote up a guide on which ones to spam your way up to 90 with ease, since certain leves are disproportionately good for no good reason. May I post it here?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

https://pastebin.com/ZQypnWXD
It's a little haphazard and thrown together, but I've done my best to go through all the leves for every crafter and highlight the best/most efficient ones at any point... if they're not on here they're probably not worth doing, especially since leves are time-restricted!

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

reversefungi posted:

Does anyone have any resources for getting better at PVP? I've hated PVP until recently, having just discovered how much fun MCH can be.

It depends on if you're playing CC or Frontline; MCH always boils down to 'stand behind your team and be a jerk-rear end picking folks off and racking up damage/kills', but the intricacies change a lot based on either mode. Basically, although it's rather obvious, you want to be thinking at all times what you can do to *not die*, considering you're made of tissue paper and a prime target. CC survival becomes about total understanding of the map and when/where to back off, while in Frontline, it's about not dying so you don't lose your Battle High. MCH in Frontline is basically worthless until it gets a few ranks of BH, when it turns into a golden god that mulches people with no recourse.

MCH is really really hard to pull off well, but I can say as someone on the receiving end that a skilled MCH is the most terrifying job in the game by far. If anything I might actually recommend picking a different, simple job like WAR (it's just dives, AOEs, and a pull) and focusing MCHs down so you can understand their weaknesses from the other side.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jun 20, 2023

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

FeatherFloat posted:

Another fun benefit that I realized when I ran an alt of mine through Coils not long ago is that with the dungeon drop updates, all of the Coils drop gear coffers now. If your level 90 friends running you through let you have 'em, you'll also finish your run with a full set of some sweet gear for glamours!

The final four Turns also drop IL130-135 gear, which is just as good as/better than Ironworks. These days you can nuke the last two bosses down in like 5 seconds with a 90 friend, so it might be worth clearing them just for essentially free tomestone gear on-tap. Plus they look sick as gently caress :krad:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

You can also buy gear to turn in for GC seals which can be used for a ton of stuff. They have essentially loot boxes for Stormblood mounts/minions for sale there even if you have everything else there you want.

Do this with Poetics if you want, but do NOT waste your Causalities on 620 gear. 1500 tomes gets you a relic stage, and crafting materials (usually Thavnairian Flux or Deinosuchus Skins sell the best) are an easy 1-2m+ gil for a stack.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 1, 2023

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Woodywoo01 posted:

Do Limsa and Gridania get similar focus later on?

Having just started Heavensward, the voice acting change has surprised me. Alphinaud's voice got far deeper all of a sudden.

I got Lancer/Dragoon to lvl 50 after starting as Arcanist, to go through Heavensward, it seems like the job most thematically appropriate, but I might change to Machinist or Astrologian later. I plan on saving Dark Knight for Shadowbringers, is that a good idea, or should I start it earlier?

Yes and no? They get some focus/scenes but nothing to quite that level.

Yes! They could finally afford to hire actual British people instead of just randos off the street putting on silly voices. They're by and large a substantial improvement (oh god ARR Alisaie)

Dark Knight is by far the best job storyline in the game and worth doing just for that (specifically right now, even). Also it's probably a good idea to level it sooner than later considering it'll be 40 levels to gain by the time SHB starts, and I guarantee going back to jank-rear end ARR content will be very low on your list of priorities by then.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

FuturePastNow posted:

It's that cartoon lalafell laugh that gets me

BLEUGH

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

AndrewP posted:

I'm not actually going to buy a skip, these late 20s quests were just the first time I wondered if I could because boy what a slog

I don't think I've soured on the ARR story, it doesn't even feel like it's really started yet. I'm too busy doing a dance for three sylphs. C'mon Square, that's sidequest filler, don't make me do that.

Fighting Ifrit with a party of real people was cool though.

Try to fall down the crafting/gathering hole for no reason. It's a terrible idea to do pre-flying but it will get you absurdly motivated to access new zones and their new materials if you have the same brainworms as me :unsmigghh:
At least the Weaver questline is really funny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

IIRC the entire desynth system is just a relic from the hell days of ARR where you could only have a total amount of desynthesis levels across all jobs and there were desynth-only items and aaaaaaa
These days it's just 'will the desynth item be HQ or not' as far as I can tell. I think any of the rare stuff is/was only up to LV50/60 or so which you will blitz past in seconds these days, so none of it really matters anymore.