Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

sassassin posted:

I basically disagree with all this unless you're trying to burn through the game to level cap as fast as possible (I did this and don't recommend it). Sidequests are story and lore. There's loads of fun content in the game that will be missed if you're focused on MSQ progress. Leves are mildly useful as a new/free trial player for gear and materials - they're quick (timed "kill as many as you can" one excepted) and offer a bit of variety.

The Hall of Novices might as well be ignored, the gear is obselete by the time you even get to a dungeon these days, and the xp ring is worth similarly little. The lessons themselves aren't very good either.

At best, the gear you get IN the first couple dungeons is equal to the HoN stuff, so you might as well get a full set before doing the dungeons rather than hoping to piece together a set while doing the dungeons (it also looks better than anything you'd otherwise have). And if you plan to level a bunch of jobs, it's absolutely worth having the 30% EXP ring. But yes, some of the actual lessons you can take with a grain of salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

I get being able to run away, but all I'm doing is hitting them, backing up a little, stopping, and hitting them again, repeat; in theory they should be at a fairly constant distance and me not getting too far from them, but the weird thing is some monsters you can stay further away from than others, and some have very short leashes(?) before they reset. For some it seems more to do with how far they get from their original spawn point?

:corsair:

How well does a chocobo do for being a psuedo-tank like that but for the open world? I heard you can get a chocobo to join in fights at some point?

Generally yes, monsters can wander around a bit, but have a "home point" that they'll be pulled back to. They don't want you kiting them all over the map, nor "cheesing" enemies by being able to slowly pick away at their HP by repeated hit-and-run tactics. So they go invincible and get their HP back if you pull them too far. It rarely is an issue once you're aware of how it works.

For Chocobos, you can "spec" them with healer/tank/dps skill trees, but even specced for tank they will pretty much never be able to hold aggro over you. You'll have better luck giving them a lot of healer stuff if you want them to support you and help keep you alive.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Seems like Eureka has very little incentive to do it outside of, I guess, the Stormblood legendary weapon stuff, and a few minions or whatever. You don't get carry-over EXP for all the work you put in.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Alxprit posted:

Some glamour restrictions include:
You can't put on anything you aren't high enough level to equip if it were normal. (EG: I have a level 86 hood on my glamour that I can't use unless I'm 86 or higher.)
You can't put on anything that's exclusive to a class you currently aren't. (EG: the fancy Blue Mage outfits can't be worn by classes other than Blue Mage.)

I think the restriction is actually that you can't use something as a glamour if it has a higher level requirement to equip than what you're glamouring over. So that immediately rules out glamouring with equipment that you can't equip yet, since it'll have a higher equip level than what you're wearing.

However, a less common problem can come up when you're wearing Tomestone equipment around the x0 levels (50/60/etc)- that stuff usually has a higher iLVL than equipment at the next couple equipment levels. So for example, the tomestone armor for level 60 might have an item level of 270, while armor for level 61 might only have an item level of 260. You cannot use the level 61 armor to glamour your level 60 tomestone armor, even if you can equip both.

Edit: crap, I didn't update the thread before posting this, and it was already covered. Sorry!

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 29, 2022

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

hopeandjoy posted:

Most jobs have a rough cap of 32 actions, including role actions, because that’s the number a controller player can easily use. Some slam right up against it, some don’t even come close to it. Warrior is in the middle iirc.

That said you can access a maximum of 48 actions easily on controller, though no job has that many.

I play controller and can fit everything into 32 actions normally, though I did have to exclude one kinda pointless Paladin action from my hotbars. The use case for the action is “very, very rarely, in high end content” though and I never play Paladin in high end content.

At level 80 (excluding one of the two fairy summon buttons you get), Scholar already has like 34 buttons. And I know there's at least two more coming between 80-90. Some classes are definitely more button-bloaty than others. I pretty much refuse to use more than 32 for combat on controller, as I do not trust using the RT-->LT and LT-->RT options in the heat of combat (also that's where I put my teleporting and mount/minion summoning and aether compass stuff).

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 30, 2022

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Alxprit posted:

Hint - make both RT-->LT and LT-->RT go to the same hotbar.

I do (or rather I configure both hotbars with the same abilities; not even sure how to make them both literally access the same hotbar), but I still reserve it for commonly-used non-combat stuff. I have a hard enough time juggling 32 abilities during combat, so some stuff just has to go.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Overpulling is a much bigger problems at lower levels, since:

A) the levels aren't designed with "wall-to-wall" pulling in mind, so you can bite off way more than you can chew
B) tanks don't have as many mitigation options
C) healers often have virtually no fast, powerful healing options
D) jobs sometimes don't have much good AoE damage options to burn down packs very fast.

So I wouldn't stress about something like that happening (but people shouldn't be toxic about it).

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

GloomMouse posted:

Bake yourself a cake to celebrate

It will require 9 ingredients costing approximately 780,000 gil on the market board.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Xerophyte posted:

Second, the invuln ends when the target dies,

Are you sure that's still the case? I thought the invulnerability had been disconnected from the bind effect.

Edit: Seems like it is still the case, based on word of mouth on the internet. Huh.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 4, 2022

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

PRO TIP: White Mages get HOLY at level 45, which is an AoE attack that STUNS all enemies. If you have a WHM healer, maybe DON'T pop mitigation right away, because if your healer spams holy then enemies will barely get any attacks off until a good ways into the fight when they eventually become immune to stun.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

SettingSun posted:

Be careful with this! The Holy stun is only 3 seconds and has severe diminishing returns. Personally I don't think that level of micro is necessary for pulls. Also there's a chance your whm is inattentive and doesn't get all the mobs with the Holy.

Yeah, but even if they don't get all the mobs, they'll probably get enough that you're not in danger of dropping dead if you don't have a mitigation on.

Or you can pop your mitigation like normal anyways; it doesn't really matter. But a team at level 56+ with both a Warrior and White Mage should basically never need to use heals during trash pulls.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

And this is probably obvious, but if you're hoping for commends from a first-time player, you have to wait around while they watch the end-of-dungeon cutscenes.

There's been many a time where I finish my cutscene all ready to commend somebody only to find there's no one left to commend.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

iPodschun posted:

You don't have to do the Carnivale fights in order if that's what you were doing. You can skip straight to 25, 30, and 31 to complete the job quests. The last spell you don't have is probably Angel Whisper, the resurrection spell, which is unlocked by completing 30 Carnivale stages.

Yeah, I did all of them except 29 which I heard was a serious pain. And since the achievements and such were for doing thirty total, which I've done, the incentive to go back and do 29 is very low.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

bewilderment posted:

- Decide if you want to do one of the 'Relic Weapon' or 'Primal Weapon' subjects and grinds! You don't actually want to do this, trust me. But you could.

If you insist on doing an ARR relic weapon, please wait until the class is 70+.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

girl dick energy posted:

You know what, that's fair. 'Shield healer' vs 'regen healer' is a dumb dichotomy and they don't even stick with it themselves.

I'm not an expert on the jobs, but it seems like the "regen healers" have both single target and AoE regen options they can apply at will (as in, not on long cooldowns), while "shield healers" likewise have shields they can apply at will, while the converse is not true.

Although both shield healers are kinda better identified as "passive healers", since both have ways to heal while focusing on DPS.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

orcane posted:

I think the issue is that people in different houses/rooms are still accessing it from the same server (housing) instance at the same time.

But the inn rooms, which are reportedly shared by everyone except the game isn't loading other players, those work somehow? I don't know, it's just super wonky and badly implemented overall.

What I heard is that the problem with player housing is that if someone is accessing the dresser and someone else moves it, it would cause the world to implode. The dressers in Inns are nailed to the floor so it's not a problem.

Now you CAN have a Free Company chest is housing, which you'd think would generally work the same way, but :shrug:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Honestly I think it's a mistake to tell new players "you're almost to [X expansion/story point], the one everyone says is so great! Stick with it just a bit longer!" That creates the expectation that there will be a sudden and noticeable change in quality. The quality of a part of the story, as rated by the player base, is often evaluated in the aggregate, rather than in the micro-scale- you're not likely to "suddenly" start enjoying the game when reaching any particular point if you weren't enjoying it before. If you're struggling terribly to get to something like Heavensward, my suggestion is either:
1. You're focusing too much on the MSQ and burning out. Go do other stuff. At any point in the story, there's a lot of "go here, talk to this person. Now go across the world and talk to someone else. Beat a trivial fight. Now the Scions stand around and talk about what to do." I think mainlining that sort of things is a recipe for not enjoying it. But this game has a ton of side content and different types of stuff to do, so it's easy to take a break from the main story and check out other things. Really, do not feel like you're in a race to get to any particular point in the story.
2. If you're really not having fun, the game may not be the game for you! That's OK! The core gameplay loop does not really change, even if the overall plot and characterization may have higher and lower points throughout the game.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Doomykins posted:

Maybe everybody says "it gets better at X" should say "if you follow the story and invest in the coming expansions the payoff is worth it if you enjoyed ARR, even roughly."

Yeah, that's kind of the other point- people being told "it gets good at Heavensward" or "at Shadowbringers" may be more inclined to rush through the story and not pay attention before then, which means they miss out on all the foundation building and will end up enjoying HW and ShB less. I have at least one friend that skipped cutscenes up to Shadowbringers, and then didn't really get what the praise was about. They've started a new character and are actually watching the story now, but it'd be better if people didn't get the impression that the early stuff just has to be slogged through and ignored to get to the good stuff- the good stuff is good partly because of the world and character building that came before.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Arist posted:

Aurum Vale at least goes pretty quick these days. It used to be way worse even if the first room is still annoying.

Probably worth doing a run each of Sastasha, tot-rak, and AV to see if any of them is in a "bonus period". It can cut your grind time in half.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

S.J. posted:

How long do bonus periods for light tend to last?

2 hours, is what I've read.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I've run into quite a few dungeons where it's just not feasible to solo them as a synced Blue Mage, even with Might Guard/Basic Instinct/Aetherial Mimicry (healer) going on- you still tend to just melt in about four hits from the bosses. I think people like to exaggerate how powerful Blue Mages are.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Sanguina on the boards here did a full Heavensward LP, and is now doing one for Stormblood, but before that they did a "newbie journal" in the old masterthread. It's not quite a full LP, but they covered things in pretty good depth, so it could probably work as a refresher. Here's their post history:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3892748&userid=183048

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

Weapons are good for leveling, reduces your TTK by a few seconds per enemy when you're soloing or dungeon delving with a party. Basically it really depends on how you're leveling your 50s. If you're doing a lot of Duties then Ironworks weapons are a nice upgrade from whatever trash you had before that. If you're doing weird poo poo like PoD or guildhests then no you won't need them.

I think Roach meant that beating the Coils of Bahamut boss gets you iLvl 130 gear or whatever, the same as Ironworks. Except you don't need to spend a bunch of poetics on them.

So no, I think the raid drops are just as good as Ironworks and you don't need to get those.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Clearly they need to take Bards in a more Tenacious D direction with songs that cause peoples' heads to explode.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

As someone said, set your retainers to jobs you focus on, because the retainer level is limited by YOUR job level. If you set them to Botanist but your Botanist level is 10, the retainer won't be able to level past 10.

Max Wilco posted:

glamours, and so on.

If you haven't unlocked glamours, I think the quest is in Vesper Bay. You might have to do a quest about dyeing first? At any rate, once you've unlocked the feature, the best way to do it is to spend one glamour prism to put an item into your glamour chest at any Inn room. From the glamour chest interface, you can create "glamour plates", allowing you to create entire outfit glamours out of any items you've put in the chest (or any items in your Armoire, where you can store stuff like seasonal event outfits or veteran rewards for free). You can create up to 20 glamour plates, and applying them does not cost you any glamour prisms. You can just apply the glamour plates on the fly in any "town" type area (where there's a crescent moon symbol next to your Exp bar), or you can "link" glamour plates to jobs, by going to your job list and bringing up the menu. Linked plates are applied whenever you switch to that job (if you're not in a town area, it can't newly apply a glamour, but any glamour successfully applied to that equipment previously will still be active).

The main thing to be aware of is that you can only apply a glamour using items that particular job can wear (so no glaming a physical job with equipment exclusive to mages), and the item you're glamouring over has to have an equal or higher EQUIP LEVEL (not iLvl) to the item your using as the glamour. That can be a problem where your level 50 tomestone gear has better stats and iLVL than a level 51 dungeon drop- you can't glamour over the 50 tomestone gear because the 51 dungeon drop has a higher equip level.

Roach Warehouse posted:

I’ve heard you can destroy your ARR relic to progress your HW relic. If I do that, do I need to put it toward’s the same job’s HW relic or can I mix and match?

You can mix and match. I ground out the spear ARR relic, and turned it in to start the Summoner HW relic.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Nov 4, 2022

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Some of the Squadron dungeons (particularly the Hard mode versions with actual mechanics) are basically unplayable if you're in certain roles, because you have to handle all the mechanics yourself, potentially while also juggling their engage/disengage mechanics for targeting certain things. It's probably fine if you're in a DPS role, but sometimes doing them on tank or healer is awful.

It's left a bad taste in my mouth, so at this point I don't even care if they can do things a bit faster if you grind them up to have their max offense passives.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Selachian posted:

Yeah, the final battle in Brayflox (Hard) when you have three teammates who won't try to push the bombs away is ... challenging.

Yeah, I went into that as a ninja... took me like 10 tries.

Or Copperbell (Hard) where you have to pick up the rock and drop it so you don't get killed by a sandworm- when you're the tank and everything keeps hitting you and interrupting your pickup action.

Or the Sohm Al dungeon or whichever it is where you need to target and kill the wings- trying to do that while you're a WHM and the only one getting targeted by constant chasing damage puddles, so you can't cast or stand still to try and retarget your idiot teammates.

I think there were other problematic ones, but those are the ones I recall off the top of my head.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I wouldn't bother with it unless you want dyable Stormblood artifact armour, or really want the Ozma mount. That'll be a trip though. Even with all the streamlining, getting through all the content to get there is an uninteresting grind.

You grind mobs for the challenge log, and then you grind fates or the mobs needed to spawn them.
Then repeat until you can get to the next zone.

Don't you need to engage with it on some level to get any of the Stormblood relic weapons? It's basically the only kind of pre-EW content I haven't touched, because it sounds Not Fun.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

One of my retainers actually brought back a glowing trashcan one time, but even as my only piece of glowing armor, I still couldn't bring myself to use it.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

For anyone using the starter edition of FFXIV (with ARR + Heavensward), they're giving Stormblood away for free for a while:

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/cdb92d5c9805f1c50721f3c03a16d7ccef049f79

Edit: Er, I mean,

Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award-winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime. PLUS you get the entirety of the blockbuster expansion STORMBLOOD absolutely free!

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 27, 2023

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

So I've seen seemingly contradictory advice for tanks:

1. Tanks should hit sprint and run past packs to pick them up; and
2. Tanks should hit each pack with at least two AoEs before moving on to make sure they don't lose aggro to a DPS.

So which is correct?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Like Clockwork posted:

Knowing that there is a big thing coming can defang the impact, I think, though imo it helps sell things if you read the journals with and without the DRK crystal equipped.

Wait, they change?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Once you know how they work, I find Palace of the Dead/ Heaven on High runs pretty mindless, and they give decent XP in the right level ranges.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

The little scrap pieces are kinda better, since you can SELECT what item you want instead of having to hope you randomly get the thing you want. Also, the extra step of exchanging the bots and bits mean most people pass on them for older raids instead of bidding, so you can often get ALL the bits and gear up pretty quickly.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I didn't even realize that favorite food thing existed (I've never stabled and trained my bird). How long does the buff last?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Also, pay attention to the warning you get when trying to put an item in your glam chest- most of the time it's just stuff about losing item bond level or whatever, but it will tell you if you already have the same item in your chest.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

More people also meant seeing more goofy costumes. I do kind of miss it too.

Not 8-man meridium though. Between Cid being buggy, people forgetting to interact with the shinies, and the real terrible bosses 8-man meridium is definitely trash.

I dunno, I appreciated the feeling of chaos as 8 people dash around loving things up, causing big explosions, pulling absurd numbers of enemies (and sometimes dying for it). It was a very unique experience and the remade Castrum Meridium feels kinda lifeless. Also, now we never get to fight (or even see?) Livia on her iconic white Reaper mech, which was, like, her "thing."

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I got Miner and Botanist to 90 basically from GC turn-ins alone. At higher levels, the crafting turn-ins from the MB can get really expensive, but a stack of 10 ores or whatever you can still usually get for 1-2k.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Bruceski posted:

At-level dungeons give 1/3 or so of a bar of XP (once things stabilize, at ARR levels it's gonna be more). It's not THAT much less than doing a leveling roulette.

Note that this doesn't apply to level 50/60/etc dungeons, which give minimal xp. You can also do combat beast tribe dailies from ShB and EW at the appropriate level range, which give decent XP. Doing a Wondrous Tails book, once that unlocks, is a good chunk of XP too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

For the Angra Mainyu fight, do you also get killed from standing on the same color half of the arena twice in a row, or just take damage? I forget.