Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Is there a point to this NPC squadron stuff in the Grand Companies? I feel like it's just making some numbers bigger for some NPC's and a sink for my GC space bucks for no gain to my character himself.

If you have classes remaining under level 50 once they are maxed out they are probably the fastest way to level until 50 outside of roulettes, they do crazy damage and will melt bosses for you much faster than players can. 50+ it falls off to useless because they are very very stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

nullEntityRNG posted:

Is there any etiquette about the party finder? I picked up Blue Mage and have been having fun collecting the spells (mostly). I noticed there are occasional groups in party finder going for the higher level dungeons to get spells, but I don't know if it's considered rude to just drop in to one with no fanfare.

I'd recommend getting aetheric mimicry early if you haven't nabbed it yet, along with ram's voice/ultravibration. People will usually expect you to get those before tackling much content post-Heavensward because of how massively it speeds up runs.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Attack on Princess posted:

Is Aurum Vale supposed to be a difficulty spike?

My White Mage is level 62 and i126, wrapping up ARR. Blind "Leveling Roulette" runs have gone well, but Aurum Vale was rough. I never had that many wipes before. It destroyed my confidence. We were off to a rocky start from the first pull, where in hindsight I should have stuck to the tank to not lose line of sight. That put me on edge for the whole run.

I barely understand the fruit mechanic. Should I eat fruit when I recognize the debuff thing, or is it a stacking debuff that it's best to clear later? Does the fruit go to inventory or is it automatically eaten on interaction? I was too flustered to check.

And for trash, the tank got chipped hard through regen while mass pulling. I felt I had to Cure 2 before Holy, which spiraled into Cure 2 spam. I didn't dare swiftcast Holy because I wanted instant ress available.

Hopefully it was just first time anxiety, but cliff notes are welcome if you have them.

As a White Mage specifically, imo Aurum Vale is the hardest dungeon in the game to heal by a mile. It is just before you have access to any oGCD heals, with huge groups of mobs and with a lot of poison and damage over time on players with boss rooms that encourage standing too far apart for Medica 2 to hit.

The debuffs in the boss fight do stack and are better to clear later. First boss eat at 2 stacks of the debuffs, third boss at 3, and you'll be able to do that for the entire fight safely. On the last boss if someone hits 5 stacks they also explode. Interacting with the fruit instantly cleanses all stacks.

gay devil fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 24, 2024

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Trash Ops posted:

absolutely deranged take, it is completely irrelevant if you miss the first 20 seconds of a boss fight

Ruins the vibe

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Dragoon can be a bit of a struggle on controller until you get a grasp of using expanded controls + WXHBs.

If you haven't enabled expanded hotbars + WXHB yet, it makes a huge difference. Akhmorning has a good guide on setup:

https://www.akhmorning.com/resources/controller-guide/the-cross-hotbar/#expanded--wxhb

Once you set up, you can access more buttons by holding LT->RT or RT->LT (expanded controls), or yet another set by double tapping LT or RT (WXHB). A common use of WXHB is putting duplicates of abilities that are also on the expanded bars so I can also keep track of their cooldowns regardless of which bar is currently visible.

So as an example I'll have one part of my dragoon combo from just holding left trigger, then with it still held down holding right trigger will show more of the same combo.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

kaesarsosei posted:

How playable is this game with a controller? It seems a bizarre idea to me.

The way soft targeting works makes it super intuitive as all roles once you pick it up. I actually find healing on controller to be much easier than on keyboard+mouse.

Another good comprehensive controller guide https://www.akhmorning.com/resources/controller-guide/ (click the "Pages In This Guide" button to swap sections)

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Tapping down twice will always target the first tank in the party. To cycle from the bottom of the party list up, hit up on d-pad instead. You will never need more than four taps to target a specific party member. Taken from that Akhmorning guide:

If it is just one quick heal in-between throwing rocks at enemies, do not hit A to "confirm" the selection, leave them "soft targeted" where they have a partial circle around them without the actual selection reticle, the moment the cast goes off you will automatically be back on your previous target.

As an example screenshot also from that guide:

The ladybug here is soft targeted, while the ground squirrel is hard targeted. The moment one spell/ability is used on the ladybug, it will automatically revert back to the squirrel, unless you hit A to confirm the new target. This lets you get a quick single-target heal off and revert back to attacking without any delay, or weave an oGCD heal inbetween casts.

It can seem like a lot at first but I find it way more natural than scroll wheel/F-key solutions once you adjust to it.

The only place healing with a controller struggles is rezzing people outside your party. Rezzing a healer or tank from the first alliance you have listed is no problem by holding L1+d-pad right, but whatever alliance is displayed second takes way more button presses to reach the tanks and healers. Rezzing people out in the open world or in areas like Eureka/Bozja also often requires zooming in really close in weird ways.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Yeah in Frontlines I'm not gonna bother healing outside my party unless I happen to have a mouse nearby while playing on controller. But healers are also barely healers in Frontlines outside of AoE LBs, their single target heals are way more suited for Crystalline Conflict where you can target just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

manjimutt is the most important minion in the game