Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

This is super helpful, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Unlocked Summoner, Scholar and a mount today.

I didn't try scholar at all yet, but summoner is essentially the arcanist but with upgraded pets? Not sure why but I was expecting more, but I do enjoy the arcanist so it's all good.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Awesome, sounds like it would be an easy transition into scholar.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Alxprit posted:

On controller or keyboard?

Summoner is fun so far, but I noticed there is a constant lack of tanks in the duty finder so I decided to start leveling up a marauder. It seems pretty good so far. From what I hear it's upgraded class is pretty great as well. Any tips and tricks for tanking in this game? (For reference I was the main tank in a WoW guild for many years)

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Awesome, thank you for the advice all! Seems like I picked the "right" class to start off with.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I thought I wanted to be a summoner, but after tanking an instance I think I want to be a tank again :smith:. Marauder is a lot of fun!

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Stupid question, how do you like praise people when a dungeon is over? I tanked 2 or 3 this morning before work and everyone was so positive. I remember seeing a tutorial tip for it but I forget how to do it :smith:.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Thank you everyone for the information! I will try to be quicker to give people the thumbs up.

Also, another random point, I've been getting /pet a lot as well. Not sure if that is because I am a sprout and did a good job or because I am the tiny people race :thunk:.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Bruceski posted:

People get weird about lalas. If anyone goes further than /petting feel free to fight back.

:hmmyes:

I normally play Dwarves so this was the closest to that.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Do I have to unlock dungeons with quests? Feels like after I unlock Warrior I will need to run around and do that if that is a thing.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Doomykins posted:

Many unlock through msq progression, many are optional blue checkmarks. Doing every blue you see will mostly serve you well to get at all the content. I think in Stormblood on they start tricking me with food rewards under blues...

Before I started leveling the Maurader I was doing that. Unlocked a ball dance which is :krad:.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Nearly everything in the game is unlocked through quests, most of which will be tied to MSQ progression as well. Most dungeons, especially post-ARR, are directly in the main story. There are a handful of optional ones, especially once you hit level 50, so keep an eye open for blue + quests that aren't jobs, etc.

Awesome thank you! After I unlock warrior I will keep trucking on the main story

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Mainwaring posted:

The game doesn't make this clear but unlocking your job upgrade (like warrior) is also locked behind msq progression. The msq quest that you need to complete to unlock jobs is a lvl 22 quest but because of newbie experience boosts a lot of people hit 30 before completing it.

The quest in question (very minor msq spoilers) is called Sylph management and occurs shortly after you join a grand company

Good to know, gotta check later to see if I did that. I am 1/8th of the bar away from level 30. Excited to see what new tools the Warrior class will unlock. Marauder has been a blast so far.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Just unlocked the warrior class, but I was hit with this creeping feeling when I did. Is my skill bar going to be filled with abilities eventually? One of the things I loved about Guild Wars 2 was how few abilities there were, made it easy for me to easily get muscle memory on which abilities to use and when.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Well it's good to hear they are working on the ability bloat, that seems to always be a problem for MMOs to deal with.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Just unlocked Inner Beast on my warrior and uh yeah; this is loving rad.

Berserk + Combo Storm's Path + 2 Inner Beast is a metric fuckton of damage in a very short period of time.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

DelphiAegis posted:

It gets better. :getin:

Mainwaring posted:

Buddy you have no idea

Sounds amazing :unsmith:.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

S.J. posted:

Oh I can't wait until you get higher up. Warrior is a loving blast.

:allears:

Can't wait either now lol

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I hit level 48 on my warrior and I am still having a lot of fun. A helpful person suggested that I use my defensive cooldowns more freely instead of just on bosses and it has helped out a ton with clearing trash. I see a move coming up soon that puts that damage buff on me, but is the 3rd in the combo chain where as the overpower combo only requires 2 button pushes instead. Not sure I will be using that much, I suppose I just gotta use it first.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

iPodschun posted:

Something that isn't always obvious to newer players: Trash pulls are the hardest part of the dungeon, damage-wise. Using your defensive cooldowns proactively on them is the way to go as you found out. On bosses you'll want to use defensive cooldowns on tankbusters (red swirly circle around you, or the boss is casting something that sounds painful like Skull Crusher) but their auto attacks are not a major threat.

As far as Warrior's damage buff goes, on trash pulls you'll want to use Overpower -> Mythril Tempest still but on bosses you can use the single-target combo instead.

Red swirl is a tank buster? Good to know, I never realized what that was.

Thank you for the tips!

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

DelphiAegis posted:

Note that "arms length" is a defensive cool down for trash packs. It slows any enemy that hits you while it's up. For bosses it doesn't work (you use it for knock back immunity) but for trash, that plus a reprisal can do well when rampart or your 30% mit are on cool down.

Just remember to try not to stack mitigation. Rampart, wait for it to expire, then 30%, then arms lenth/reprisal. Hopefully before those 3 run out the pack is dead. You'll also as a war get options to survive packs better later as you progress through 50s.

Does damage mitigation not stack or is it just not optimal to do that?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

DelphiAegis posted:

It stacks, but multiplicatively, not additively. So 20% from rampart + 30% from your class cool down != 50% mitigation. So yeah, it's better to have lesser mit for longer than somewhat better mit for a very short time.

That is good to know, thank you!

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

SettingSun posted:

Literally just throw out or sell stuff you don't imminently need or use. This is true at cap but ESPECIALLY true when you are leveling. Hoarding is a path to madness.

Ohh...

Well now, guess I have a purge I can do when I get home.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

CodfishCartographer posted:

A few caveats imo:

1. Rather than throwing them away or selling them, any green or blue equipment can be traded in to your grand company for company seals. You can trade these in for ventures to send out your retainers to bring you poo poo back for free gil. Once you reach max rank, you can also trade seals in for loot boxes containing random minions / mounts from early expansions, which can sell for decent gil
  2. Once you complete ARR you'll be able to trade in a currency for role-specific armor that is quite good and can often last until completing the next expansion, when you can get another set with the same currency. This currency can be a little annoying to grind out, so it's worth holding o to these armorsets for future jobs of the same roll - I just store mine in a retainer.

That's wild, thank you for the heads up! I have not touched the auction house, is it easy to use?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Hit 50 on my warrior and I was met with a message essentially saying "If you want more abilities, you need to buy the expansions". Sooooo yeah. Is it worth continue leveling at this point or should I start to level my alt classes?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I was not eligible for the free trial as I played FF14 when it was in beta :smith:.

I bought the $20 version of the game to give it a try again. In hindsight I should have just bought the deluxe edition, but I didn't want to put that much money in a game I didn't know I really wanted to play. I am still lukewarm on the game, but I have been enjoying my time.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Thank you for the suggestions everyone!

I will probably just continue the story as far as I can go. My friend told me it gets much better once I get out of the vanilla game, so I will keep pushing on.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Hearing that raids are not as toxic like WoW has me like:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I always loved blue mages in game, hearing how broken blue mages are makes me :allears:.

My friend got me all the expansions as "an early Christmas gift" so I can totally try it out now.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Qwertycoatl posted:

Just be aware that blue mage isn't an "I win" button and early on before you get the good spells you're plinking away with a range of 200 potency spells which apply some crowd control effect.

But, it's really cool when it comes together and eg someone manages to pull together an alliance raid party finder and do all the crystal tower raids in half the normal time

Sounds time consuming but worth it. Gotta check it out at some point :unsmith:.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

SuperKlaus posted:

You should probably drink while fishing like you would do IRL

:hmmyes:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I am still a pretty new player in the scheme of things (max level is 54 right now) and after taking a 5 month hiatus I decided to re-sub. Came across this randomly last night and it made me fall in love with this game a little:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucKeO_QNU2E

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

flatluigi posted:

it's genuinely great how much the midi bands add to the sense of community of the game

Totally, I feel like that kind of community interaction is so seldomly seen in games today.

On a side note (this took much longer than expected lol):

My favorite kind of chocobo!

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
There is a card game?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Relyssa posted:

Triple Triad?

Also they forgot to mention Mahjong! This game somehow has one of the best online clients for it and you can happily play it on the free trial!

They have triple triad in game?

Welp, I know what I am doing later.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Bruceski posted:

One of us, one of us...

What keeps me staying with FF14, ironically, is that I'm allowed to leave. There's no massive daily quests required to stay current with raids, nothing aside from my house will decay if I ever decide to take a few months off. I don't have a need to do things as soon as they come out or nobody will be around to do them at all (aside from Bozja, Criterion dungeons, and some Savages) and even if I do have issues those aren't locking me out of doing whatever's current.

I can play as much or as little as I want and the only compulsions to get into a grind are the ones I give myself.

I totally agree! I jumped back in like I never left, and it felt natural and easy to get back into it.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I do love fishing in games, so that does sound fun! How would I start it?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Assuming you've unlocked fishing already, there's a short intro quest in Limsa that unlocked it - All the Fish in the Sea. Once unlocked, just queue up with the NPC on the lower level docks, X3.0, Y12.7.

The expedition leaves every 2 hours, and you can queue up for 15 minutes before it starts.

Awesome! I will unlock fishing later and do that! Is fishing kind of like another job where I have to have specific gear for it?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Thank you for all the help! I look forward to fishing and card games :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Arzaac posted:

Do a round of ocean fishing so you can get this lil dude

best minion I've found so far and it's easy to get as long as you kinda understand ocean fishing

:allears: Mr. Sharky looks perfect