Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Tbh the brand new gear is also just nice to have when eventually leveling other jobs. It's got solid stats that last until like 25ish at least. Granted that doesn't take particularly long to get to on secondary play-throughs, but it's still convenient and saves on space in your armory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah I had the exact opposite problem - I was like lv 60 before I even finished ARR, and it made learning the 50-60 rotation changes pretty hard cus I never had a chance to really use them until HW. Through HW and StB I would swap between several different jobs to keep the exp even - it wasn't until ShB that I actually had to just dedicate to one job or risk falling behind.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Are there any YouTube guides that just give the tldr on important poo poo in fights? MTQ is pretty good but she also explains EVERY attack, even when it just boils down to "avoid aoes" or "stack up on the stack up marker" I feel like a video that's just "you need to do X or you die" or "move back in after avoiding this aoe" would be useful. Explaining JUST the not-obvious mechanics of a dungeon / raid.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

S.J. posted:

It is entirely self contained, so yeah, unless you're looking for specific glams, mounts, etc, there isn't.

It's fun! Also the elemental +1 gear is quite good for blue mage, if that's your thing.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Anyone thst actually uses limit break gets my commend.

I also say "hey this is my first time running this dungeon, I'll try not to gently caress everything up!!" when appropriate, and almost always get 3 commends from it regardless of my performance either way lol

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Even as miqote number 79475427839596 I still get weirdo comments from time to time. Some people are just creepy

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

WrightOfWay posted:

There are definitely times you want to be stacking cooldowns, like Savage tankbusters which deal more than your maximum HP in damage, but for trash pulls you will want to space them out, since you will be taking sustained damage over a long period of time.

I'd say it's worth stacking cooldown in trash pulls if your healer (or your gear) just isn't up to snuff. Popping a second one is technically inefficient, but it DOES give you more survivability and could keep you alive in a trash pull that otherwise would have killed you. After that pull just grab fewer packs.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Shinjobi posted:

I will use LB as monk if it becomes clear no one's going to bother. This is typically for dungeon roulette though; not going to touch it on alliance raids.

Had some screw ups on Diabolos in ampador where on 2nd attempt I popped LB to move things along.

Alliance raids it's a race to see who gets to waste the LB first

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Mesadoram posted:

Ohh...

Well now, guess I have a purge I can do when I get home.

A few caveats imo:

1. Rather than throwing them away or selling them, any green or blue equipment can be traded in to your grand company for company seals. You can trade these in for ventures to send out your retainers to bring you poo poo back for free gil. Once you reach max rank, you can also trade seals in for loot boxes containing random minions / mounts from early expansions, which can sell for decent gil
  2. Once you complete ARR you'll be able to trade in a currency for role-specific armor that is quite good and can often last until completing the next expansion, when you can get another set with the same currency. This currency can be a little annoying to grind out, so it's worth holding onto these armorsets for future jobs of the same role - I just store mine in a retainer.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 4, 2022

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Ice Fist posted:

So... The 30% mitigation doesn't pair with making enemies do 10% less damage? I paired these abilities because their effects weren't the same and I thought I didn't have to worry about the stacking penalty.

The effects are multiplicative. Using 30% and 10% as an example, first you'll reduce by 30%, then reduce by 10%. That means rather than reducing damage by 40%, you're actually reducing it by 37%. Thus, you get "more" mitigation by spreading out the effects - a full 30%, and then a full 10%. This also makes damage reduction last longer, which can be important if the DPS can't kill all the mobs before the mitigations wear off. If you blow everything and then have no cooldowns but the mobs are still at half health, you'll probably die before the DPS can finish them off - but if you spread the cooldowns around, then you'll likely live long enough for the mobs to die.

However, this comes with a caveat that most people (including S.J.) leave out - it's better to spread out mitigation rather than stacking it, if you will survive using just one form of mitigation.
If your healer / equipment isn't up to par with the amount of enemies you've pulled, then pop multiple mitigation in order to not die. Honestly, in pretty much EVERY dungeon post around 50-60, you can pop 2 mitigations per pull and still not run out of cooldowns before hitting the next boss, so who cares? As long as you're not dying then you're golden.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 4, 2022

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

sassassin posted:

Honestly it doesn't matter, and doubling up is fine if you have enough buttons to push and aren't getting caught short going into big pulls.

Yeah this. If you're not dying and aren't compromising pull sizes then who gives a poo poo.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Feldegast42 posted:

MSQ patch quests generally don't give xp or give very little.

To clarify what this means for newbies confused by terminology, like I was when starting out:

When someone refers to "X.0" quests / MSQ (4.0, 6.0, etc) they are referring to the expansion's quests proper. 1.0 was the initial release of the game that is no longer available. 2.0 is the ARR story. 3.0 is Heavensward, 4.0 is Stormblood, 5.0 is Shadowbringers, and 6.0 is Endwalker.

"Patch quests" refers to the stories / MSQ quests in-between the major expansions. Post-ARR stuff (the quests after first seeing ARR credits and before starting HW) is "2.X", Post-HW quests before starting StB is "3.X" etc. You can tell which specific part you're in by paying attention to achievements, and because major story beats tend to ebb and flow with these patches. You'll get an achievement after completing the first few post-ARR quests - thus marking you as done with 2.1 and headed into 2.2.

How do you tell what specific patch quest you're on if you haven't been paying attention to achievements or forget? Or if you're looking back and forget which specific part of the story is 4.2 vs 4.3? lmao good luck, you don't, just google it or ask for help.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The super big-brain (and confusing) play for MNK, once you get Riddle of Fire and Brotherhood, is to do two solar PBs in a row in your opener. One of these is "wasted" of course, but then it makes sure that your final big blammo wammo is aligned with BOTH RoF and BH, and always will be. If you do the intuitive thing (solar, lunar, then big boom) then the final hit always aligns with ONLY RoF and never with both it and brotherhood.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Ice Fist posted:

Black mage best mage.

When I fired up the game for the first time I, without having any idea what any of the words on the screen really meant gameplay wise, thought conjurer would be a good class because I thought I would be summoning monsters and stuff. I only a little later discovered it was a healer class and swapped to THM when I could and then stuck with THM/BLM for the next 6 months.

It's very fun and the basics of the class are easy to pick up. You'll understand very quickly why BLMs greed cast fight mechanics so often.

Seconding Black Mage being fuckin' awesome.

Also, there's a LOOOOT of misinformation around it - or at least misleading information. Two of the big things I see people talk about with the job is that 1) it doesn't get "good" or "make sense" until 60-70, and 2) the rotation is confusing / complicated / difficult. Both of these are pretty blatantly false imo.

The gameplay for the job, from level 2 all the way to level 90, is "Spend mana with fire spells, then recover mana with ice spells, repeat" - that's it. The nuances change of course, but the core rotation is fairly simple compared to something like a melee DPS, even at 90. The rotation / openers make sense at all levels of the job, imo, and don't take much research or outside knowledge unless you want to learn how to optimize things.

Admittedly, BLM pre-60 and post-60 are almost two entirely different jobs that happen to share the fire/ice phase thing. Before 60, the gameplay is almost entirely waiting on procs and using them ASAP for damage. As soon as you hit 60 and get Fire 4, suddenly the job becomes about spamming as may Fire 4s as humanly possible, and using the procs either for movement or to create weaving windows (to use abilities to let you spam more Fire 4s). After 60 it starts giving you more and more things to weave too, to play up this aspect.

Post 60 BLM fuckin' owns, but pre-60 BLM is real fun too and it's a shame that so many people go "just wait until 60, then it gets fun!!" because no, it's fun pre-60, it's just a different playstyle.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 11, 2022

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Tekopo posted:

Do you mean Fire IV? Fire III should only be used to change from ice to fire.

Oops yeah, Fire 4

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Not to mention it gives an avenue for toxicity. If your team keeps wiping it'd be easy to point the blame on the party member who only has 2/3 of their toolkit.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

quiggy posted:

I would imagine there's more later but for a sprout in the early stages of Heavensward my oGCD heals are... Benediction and Assize, the first of which has a 3min cooldown and the latter of which has a 90s cooldown :negative:

This is a problem I have with how much the community shouts DON'T USE GCD HEALS. This is good advice at like, lv 70+, where each job has a ton of OGCD healing tools and, with proper spacing and usage, only need to use GCD heals in big emergencies. Before then, healers often don't have enough OGCD tools to rely on them entirely, and the community harping about how "using GCD heals is bad" makes it feel like you're doing something wrong. If you need to use GCD heals to save someone from dying, use them! It's okay!! You do want to try to minimize their usage so you can deal more damage, but they're tools that should be used.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Honestly once you get Taurochole, that and Druochole are pretty strong "someone needs healing now" buttons, and Ixochole + Pepsis works great for the whole party. I'm only at 80 so maybe this changes at the endgame, but it feels a bit weird calling sage a "shield healer" when it has tons of options to heal people and I rarely feel like I actually am putting out that many shields outside of (pan)haima.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Schwartzcough posted:

I'm not an expert on the jobs, but it seems like the "regen healers" have both single target and AoE regen options they can apply at will (as in, not on long cooldowns), while "shield healers" likewise have shields they can apply at will, while the converse is not true.

Although both shield healers are kinda better identified as "passive healers", since both have ways to heal while focusing on DPS.

Yeah this is true. That being said, "shield healers" gave me the impression that the majority of their tools are based around applying / upkeeping shields, when it actuality its a relatively small part of their toolkit.

Arist posted:

Toxikon is a straight-up DPS loss in single-target unless you have to move.

Yeah this, it's main use is to keep dps up when movement is required. When you have downtime make sure to apply shields to refill stacks, but otherwise save stacks for when you can't stand still.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Jinnigan posted:

There actually is an immediately noticeable raise in story quality the second you get to Ishgard, though. The story goes from a slog to a shining beacon to look forward to.

It depends on WHY you don't like the story, imo. I didn't find Ishgard to be particularly better storytelling than ARR / 2.x quests personally. I found the overall big-picture story to be much better, but the moment-to-moment storytelling didn't noticeably change to me. The dialogue is still way too wordy, character decisions sometimes don't really make sense in context, quests mostly boil down to "run back and forth talking to a lot of NPCs", and the story to gameplay ratio is still overwhelmingly skewed toward story with several-hour-chunks of story before any meaningful gameplay happens (which is often just a 15m dungeon or 5m trial).

And honestly? Most of those problems never get solved. I would say the only time I noticed moment-to-moment storytelling improving was in fuckin Shadowbringers, and even then many of the problems were still present (overly wordy writing, poor pacing, boring quests, skewed story/gameplay ratio, etc). That's not to say the story in FFXIV is BAD, just that there's a lot to dislike about it that does NOT get improved.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

euphronius posted:

It’s true it may not be for me. I may need a little bit more action between the story scenes

I personally found it much easier to handle the story by just taking it slow and doing plenty of other stuff. Leveling other jobs, crafting, gathering, fishing, chocobo racing, triple triad, deep dungeons, blue mage, etc. There's a lot more the farther you go, but even just once you're done with ARR there's plenty of stuff to distract you. The story REALLY relies on you policing the action/story ratio yourself. As mentioned in my last post, if you JUST focus on MSQ then you'll be spending several hours going through story for every hour of "real" gameplay - so instead you'll need to adjust that balance to your own tastes manually. Totally understandable if that's not for you, of course.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Antivehicular posted:

Maybe learn PvP -- I'm told Rival Wings is a pretty robust MOBA mode?

I haven't tried Rival Wings but that's basically Crystaline Conflict, and it owns hard. It's legit impressive how they made each job feel so distinct and unique.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Shinjobi posted:

:pwn: is basic instinct really that broken?

With the right setup of spells, a solo blue mage can beat almost every accessible dungeon or trial synced. Savage / Extremes I don't think are possible, but otherwise it's almost all fair game. The only exceptions are times when you run into a "parry member gets put into jail and other people need to save them" which is usually a death sentence.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The secret is to muscle through until you get to Pyros, at which point you can reflect farm to shoot up in levels absurdly quickly

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Even ignoring RP stuff, the change from archer to bars is likely jarring for many. "Bard" in rpgs tends to be more of a support role, especially so in the Final Fantasy series. People familiar with the series might assume Archer would turn into Ranger, but then when they hit 30 and get Bard it feels like you're going from "ranged damage dealer" to "party support" which is a wildly different experience.

Obviously that is NOT the case, you're still a ranged damage dealer, but new players likely won't know that. Furthermore the lv 30 ability is a song called "Mage's Ballad" - yes it buffs dmg, but the name gives the impression that you'll be in a support role. So you swap to bard, which you're primed to think of as a support, then get a mage song that's a party buff, and I bet a lot of people just think "oh I guess I'm a party support now, that sucks"

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Some of the tanks have a ton of buttons, particularly Paladin - though it has a few borderline-useless skills that could be shaved off and might be able to fit. Its core rotation is also not a shitton of buttons, so I imagine most of the important tools could be placed on comfortable hotbar spots.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

It never ceases to amuse me how utterly necessary macros were in FFXI, and how utterly useless they are (in combat) in FFXIV.

Though to be fair that's because most FFXI macros involved changing multiple gear pieces around mid-combat to get the most out of specific skills, so everyone would be constantly blinking in and out while their character models updated.

I wish FFXIV macros had more utility in combat but I like the accessibility. Especially since it's still controller-friendly.

Must make a macro to go thorugh your entire rotation, and hit it every 2 minutes!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

cheetah7071 posted:

This problem is almost entirely solved by putting gcds on face buttons and ogcds on the d pad

I actually find it easiest to put OGCDs on nested hotbars, since many jobs have more than just four OGCDs you'll wanna use. So say you're holding down R2 for your main rotation or whatever, you can hit X, hold L2, hit whatever OGCDs then release it, hit Square, hold L2 for the next OGCDs, etc.

SuperKlaus posted:

Macros have some use in combat if you accept their inability to queue and perhaps are OK with being a bit suboptimal. Example 1: I macro Spirits Within with Circle of Scorn on PLD. They're both 30s oGCD damage moves. So long as I'm careful to wait a heartbeat to hit the button after doing a GCD (and accepting that some GCD animations make this tough) my macro auto weaves in the two moves for me and I save a hotbar spot. Example 2: I macro Lucid Dreaming to Combust on AST. There's a risk that I have to scoot immediately after the Combust cast and lose the Lucid, and this method won't be using Lucid on cooldown, but generally it works smooth as butter to throw out Lucid every second Combust and save me a hotbar spot. Lucid isn't something I find myself needing to do right on CD anyway.

I have about 2 or 3 combat macros per job along those general lines, matching up moves with shared cooldown timers.

You can also use macros to automatically drop placeable AOEs on targets, or to use spells via mouse-over instead of targeting.

Much easier to do these with illegal addons, but still

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah if they used aoes then there's be very little reason to NOT use them, and it could have a negative impact on queue population

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Eureka is more akin to old-school, pre-WoW MMO games. FFXI being the big example, especially so considering the entire game mode is basically one gigantic FFXI reference. If you're the type to enjoy needing to carefully sneak around much-higher-level enemies to get to where you need to go, quests not providing markers and relying on you paying attention to dialogue (or looking up how to progress), needing to think about the map in three dimensions in order to find hidden routes, heavy punishment for dying, and good ol' fashioned grinding off of enemies, then you'll probably enjoy Eureka.

If those things sound like hell to you, then yeah I wouldn't recommend it. If you enjoy those things, then I also recommend trying out FFXI cus it rules and is somehow still alive and supported by SE.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Shinjobi posted:

What's the general gist to quickly leveling the gathering jobs

Is that Heavensward place the way to go?

Imo the heavensward place is the most brain off way to level gatherers. If you just wanna watch a Netflix show or a 5 hour YouTube video essay or something while doing muscle memory grinding, it's the best way to go. Don't think it's as fast as doing the higher-effort methods, though.