Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

I basically disagree with all this unless you're trying to burn through the game to level cap as fast as possible (I did this and don't recommend it). Sidequests are story and lore. There's loads of fun content in the game that will be missed if you're focused on MSQ progress. Leves are mildly useful as a new/free trial player for gear and materials - they're quick (timed "kill as many as you can" one excepted) and offer a bit of variety.

The Hall of Novices might as well be ignored, the gear is obselete by the time you even get to a dungeon these days, and the xp ring is worth similarly little. The lessons themselves aren't very good either.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Schwartzcough posted:

At best, the gear you get IN the first couple dungeons is equal to the HoN stuff, so you might as well get a full set before doing the dungeons rather than hoping to piece together a set while doing the dungeons (it also looks better than anything you'd otherwise have). And if you plan to level a bunch of jobs, it's absolutely worth having the 30% EXP ring. But yes, some of the actual lessons you can take with a grain of salt.

That 30% is pocket change compared to the armoury bonus on second jobs. On a preferred/new server you're getting +406% xp (rested with food) and the ring knocks that up to +466%. Hit level 30 in the blink of an eye.

At modern levelling rates you're not going to be wearing anything that drops from early ARR dungeons on your main job, unless you never visit a vendor and are saving all your gil for...? It's not worth spending 30 minutes for high quality level 15 gear when you've got two classes at 25+ by that point.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

VostokProgram posted:

Did they fix the weird gaps in leveling in ARR? I distinctly remember a few times where the next MSQ was a higher level than I could do and I had to pause questing to go gently caress around with other xp stuff

Several times over. After the last rebalance the MSQ alone gives enough XP to keep one job on level for it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

gtrmp posted:

Most people aren't on a preferred or new server, and the armory bonus isn't relevant when you're on your main job. 30% bonus XP is still pretty tangible when you're just starting out, especially if your sessions run long enough to burn through your rested XP bonus.

A 30% bonus from 15 to 30 on your main class, which will be drowning in MSQ xp, is not worth going out of your way for. The ring is not a bad item because the stats are actually good for <lv50 jewellery, but the xp bonus probably saves you less time in levelling than it takes to do the lessons (healer is quickest because it's only 5 stages). Should new players do the Hall of Novices? Sure, why not. But it's far from the "asap do this now" thing it might have been a couple of years ago before multiple xp revamps turbo-boosted low level progress.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Oneiros posted:

tam-tara had its map streamlined a bit but no mechanical changes iirc; it was and remains baby's second dungeon. copperbell actually did have the first two bosses completely reworked but more because they were awful and boring than because of any complexity that the npc ai couldn't handle (tho the second one was weird)

Thousand Maws of Toto Rak was changed. Tam Tara Deepcroft is the same as it's ever been.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

1stGear posted:

The Hall of the Novice advice is fine when viewed in the context of someone completely new to playing MMOs, which is who its aimed at. If you're brand new to tanking and don't know what Rampart does, you should not be wall-to-walling Satasha.

The Hall of the Novice should tell you what Rampart does then, instead of teaching players to use their 1-2-3 to build enmity.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Raenir Salazar posted:

There are some oil wells around Thanalan, but the one in the picture was explained by NPC dialogue as them hardening the ground for new construction. (Maybe solving the crippling housing crisis?)

They're building luxury housing for the super rich. If it wasn't for that meddling Kikipu the cartels would own that whole strip by now, and make a huge profit when construction is complete.

I hope all you WoLs helped her out instead of ignoring sidequests.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

S.J. posted:

She's my favorite Scion and she's just great.

She's so good I wouldn't even call her a Scion.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bruceski posted:

Most professions 1-50: "Mastering your craft is about caring for your customers, listening to their needs, and avoiding jerks. Also giving this guy nice wood when he gets depressed."

Helping jerks until they recognise your talent and (mostly) stop is a far more common theme. Weaver is an exception in its nice customer focus.

Beatin is a belligerent and abusive rear end in a top hat. But his name is a funny joke, you see (and the kids like him to be fair).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mesadoram posted:

I thought I wanted to be a summoner, but after tanking an instance I think I want to be a tank again :smith:. Marauder is a lot of fun!

The tank is the hero of the story. Other roles aren't appropriate for Warriors of Light.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

girl dick energy posted:

The only reason Coils hasn't been made mandatory despite having just as much of a legitimate claim as Crystal Tower, if not moreso, is because then they'd have to actually redesign the raids to be beatable by normal casual players MSQing in their brand new ilvl90 job gear or doing roulette while drunk and stoned at 3 AM.

What I'm saying is that if Squeenix expected people to do Coils legitimately, they'd be making it happen already.

How many of them actually need redesigning rather than simply turning down the strength of the enemies? The majority are very quick and easy when overlevelled.

Hopefully they'll get to it eventually. Copperbell got more substantial work than most of the turns need.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mesadoram posted:

Also, another random point, I've been getting /pet a lot as well. Not sure if that is because I am a sprout and did a good job or because I am the tiny people race :thunk:.

Consent is assumed if you play as a potato, unfortunately. You get a fantasia at the end of ARR so you can change your character if you don't like being felt up by randoms.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Vermain posted:

IIRC, there's still a quest in Revenant's Toll that'll unlock it at 15, which can be handy if you started in Gridania and can't reach Thanalan yet due to MSQ gating. It's admittedly a bit of a harrowing jaunt to Mor Dhona, but it's worth it if it means fewer subligar hours.

99% sure you can walk between East Thanalan and the South Shroud at any time, which would be safer than getting to Mor Dhona.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Raenir Salazar posted:

Gotcha, thanks!

Is it just me, revisiting the waking sands for just before the visit to Gridania to see to the Sylphs; but does Thancred have a spoilery bugged line? End of ARR Spoilers: He talks about Raubahn having a traitor under his command, but that hasn't happened yet? Other than giving him the message from Kan-E-Senna I've not interacted with him yet in the MSQ!

A Flame was working with Ungust and the Amaljaa. No shortage of traitors in Raubahn's commands.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Like Clockwork posted:

I think of the ARR jobs the only job stones that aren't super rare in-universe are for Dragoon, and even then it's more a single city-state's highly specialized fighting force than something any rando can get. I could be wrong, I haven't unlocked every job, but I'm pretty sure that's the case. Even later jobs are still fairly scarce—Dancer is a fighting style taught by a single troupe that's still mostly non-combatants, for instance.

Paladins are on an open recruitment drive because not enough people want to join the club, not super rare items.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Raenir Salazar posted:

Canonically how long if it were "in real life" would it take to walk from Gridania to Ul'Dah? They're like on different parts of the continent right?

A round trip by land of all three city states is said to take "weeks" and you can rent a chocobo to ride from Camp Drybone to Camp Tranquil so it's not presented as impossibly far to walk from city to city. Comparisons with real world continents are misleading when it comes to actual scale. Armies move around the map pretty rapidly during Operation Archon, we're not getting significant timeskips every time we hit an area transition.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I won't commend someone who used Rescue even if they're the only person left.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

euphronius posted:

I can do dungeons at my own pace ! It’s a miracle .

It's great, yeah.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

DelphiAegis posted:

For any class (currently) you will basically fill about 3 hotbars (36 actions) by the time you get to 90, yes.

Buttons-to-press-bloat is a thing they're working on, but often you'll find an ability will change into another via a trait you get later, so it's not as bad as it seems when you first look at your abilities page when unlocking a job.

War isn't too bad with this, most times you're still going to be pressing your same 1-2-3 combo.

They've been working on keeping the overall number of buttons the same from the start. Every expansion has seen abilities stripped out of the lower end of the level scale so they can add flashy new ones on top. It's actually made most of the game relatively boring to play. Hundreds of hours of work before you unlock your real rotation (and then lose it again when you sync down to 90% of the dungeons available).

Although tbf I prefer a lot of the DPS roles before they get so complicated.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Schwartzcough posted:

I do not trust using the RT-->LT and LT-->RT options in the heat of combat (also that's where I put my teleporting and mount/minion summoning and aether compass stuff).

The simplest trick is to place your buttons so you're always going from RT to RT>LT, and from LT to LT>RT. Even something like putting the various 2-3s of your 1-2-3 combos on the RT>LT bar can find you a lot of extra space. Can't accidentally pull LT>RT if you're not letting go of RT.

I stick all the shared non-combat stuff on RB+X (cross hotbar 4?), very quick and easy to switch between that and hotbar 1 (RB+Y) without getting too confused. I keep mounts on my combat hotbar for some reason, but when you have RT>LT and LT>RT there's plenty of wiggle room.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Flair posted:

I manage to defeat Ultima with duty support. I died once because I was conditioned for the NPCs to generally follow the mechanics of the fight, but when the marker was placed on me to be stacked on, the NPCs got stuck on the boss's body, unable to path to me. Nonetheless, the NPCs generally seem okay.

But now I am stuck on Thornmarch (Hard). There is no duty support for it, and thus it seems my singleplayer run has met its end.

Original Thornmarch was very beatable with a level 60 class that can heal itself (WAR, RDM) as an unsync solo party. Not tried the new version yet. Crystal Tower is the first mandatory content that maybe isn't soloable and would be a ballache to level high enough if it is.

Before they added duty support Titan was the end of reasonable solo runs.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The vast majority of 8 man trials are very easy (if slow) to solo and don't even require much grinding of levels given how much xp is flying around. A level 60 Warrior can probably beat everything ARR can throw at you outside CT and Coils.

On a free trial roll on a preferred/new server, spend your silver chocobo feathers on a level 60 Shire weapon and armour, and see how far it gets you.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ice Fist posted:

I tried to use NPCs at the beginning of SHB thinking that I'd clear them faster without waiting in queue and discovered that I finished them faster - even considering the queue wait for a DPS - if I just used the duty finder. The NPCs were slowwww. I abandoned the duty and just queued it up.

Maybe I was doing something wrong but that was my experience.

It's definitely a lot slower but that's not a bad thing for a lot of people. If I'm going through a story I don't want to Sastasha-sprint every piece of new content and skip boss phases because everyone's dps is outrageous.

It's fantastic that they're catering for a range of playstyles.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The Crystal Tower raids have basically been joke content for as long as anyone can remember. It's funny watching everyone wipe on the stupid stuff but there's no good reason anyone should mourn if they were to redesign it all the same way they've just done Thornmarch and Steps of Faith.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Squadrons are cool because their raw numbers are insane and they use legendary techniques lost to time. Duty support/trust healers will stop healing if they're in *do mechanic* mode, squadron ones eat whatever is coming their way with a tank-sized hp pool and keep working.

Would love if more optional dungeons let us use squadrons. Don't care if it works properly, drop those monsters in and see what happens.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

orcane posted:

The outlier in squadrons is the healer, it's the one role that's generally worse than having a player do it. Their raw healing numbers and DPS are fine but the AI seems to wait until someone is below ~50% health before they even start casting a heal. This works in single trash packs or against a boss, but they don't care about how fast damage is coming in, so the squishy player will melt while the healer finishes another cast of Break (an old single target DPS role ability for healers, which the squad healers use a lot) first. And the squadron tank is pretty sturdy, but might still die while you tried to pull the entire Brayflox swamp area (RIP) at once.

I've seen guides recommend putting healers on Offensive for bigger heals but that always makes it feel like they're running late. Big difference in when they'll heal between that, Independent and Defensive.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Once you get to Stormblood dungeons tanking is the least stressful role. Dungeons are gated and streamlined, and you're so tough you can blunder through most fights with barely any idea what's happening.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It will last until Square Enix bankrupt themselves, have to sell their only profitable property to pay off the debt collectors/various lawsuits, and the new owners run it into the ground and themselves go bankrupt.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

quiggy posted:

Uh I'm currently up to the ARR MSQ quest The Black Wolf's Ultimatum, which is a level 46 quest. This being said I wasn't enjoying either Scholar or Summoner much so I decided to try out Conjurer, and am now grinding White Mage up to that level so I can continue the MSQ with that class instead--I think my WHM is up to 38, as of logging off last night. I have no idea how far that is from the end of ARR/HW content, although I assume it's still a ways to go.

Really the issue here is there's a guild Free Company on my server I wanna see about joining, but obvs can't do that while I'm still a sprout. I'm down for buying the game now to let me join, but I'm cheap and want to pay as few subscription months as possible :v:

Your free trial ends as soon as you activate any paid copy of the game, and there's no going back afterwards. You're a long way from the end of the free content. There's a long stretch between ARR end credits and HW title screen, HW is similar length to ARR, and then there's also substantial HW postgame leading up to Stormblood.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
WHM is a bit much for flashing lights on its own, forget what other players are doing.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Learn desynthesis from a bloke in the Ul'dah markets once you have a level 30 crafter. Break down every piece of normal gear you're not imminently going to use. Not only can this provide useful materials for crafting later (very useful if crafting on a free trial with no market access), it also makes a number go up.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ice Fist posted:

So... The 30% mitigation doesn't pair with making enemies do 10% less damage? I paired these abilities because their effects weren't the same and I thought I didn't have to worry about the stacking penalty.

Reducing 90% of enemy damage by 30% is cancelling out slightly less damage than reducing 100% of damage by 30%.

Honestly it doesn't matter, and doubling up is fine if you have enough buttons to push and aren't getting caught short going into big pulls.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm still not convinced normal Sheltron actually does anything but play an animation.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mesadoram posted:

I was not eligible for the free trial as I played FF14 when it was in beta :smith:.

I bought the $20 version of the game to give it a try again. In hindsight I should have just bought the deluxe edition, but I didn't want to put that much money in a game I didn't know I really wanted to play. I am still lukewarm on the game, but I have been enjoying my time.

You could have just signed up for the trial on a new email address.

edit: Unless you're on a console idk.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ice Fist posted:

I sort of feel for you because the post ARR/pre-HW stuff was my absolute least favorite content when I went from 1-90 over the last 6 months.

The ARR postgame MSQ is better than ARR proper, which is honestly pretty dire even in the modern trimmed-down format. The problem is people try to rush through trying to get to "the good stuff" in HW when 2.x is an episodic thing where a lot of in-story time passes between most of the patches. The lack of character progression for hours and hours makes it frustrating even though the narrative/dungeons/trials are way better.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Many of the ARR class/job questlines are pretty weird, either because they were copy-pasted from 1.0 into post-Calamity Eorzea with little revision, or because the lore stuff they introduce is expanded on greatly in later expansions.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Relyssa posted:

Ah yeah I forgot about that whole thing.

Easy to forget since it's a momentarily shocking reveal with no actual consequences.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kwyndig posted:

Oh yeah, it's not as good as it used to be (they've changed spiritbinding several times since 2.X) but slapping materia into your gear, maybe downing a spiritbond potion (available at your GC) and the materia will come as long as you're doing at level content for your gear.

The GCs also have gear you can wear that increases your spiritbond rate.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
2.55 is stupid. It's the WoL at their dumbest and most passive (until Stormblood I suppose) and I hate it.

I like 2.2 through 2.5 though. The main ARR story should have been Alphinaud building the Crystal Braves not the rushed Scions stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

quiggy posted:

I mean as far as I can tell every white mage in ARR is canonically a tree-hugging stoner who gets called up every so often to fling rocks at whatever the current threat to the realm is, so this isn't that far off

Conjurers are in an authoritarian cult centred around forest spirits who like to send trees to kill everyone. Maybe they help you, maybe they let you die, forest law is fickle.

There aren't many White Mages.