Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I am gonna play this game now that it's on Xbox.

something about the flat skin textures mixed with beautiful lighting and high resolution makes it look like like OG Playstation pre-rendered cut scene graphics and that rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The MSQ and Job quests have been a breeze… until this Trial of Water lvl 15 Conjurer quest. I am suddenly stuck. These Antelope keep owning me and my healing doesn’t do much for these NPCs.

The instance indicated it would scale me back to lvl 19 - should I assume that’s the level I oughta be to do the fight?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks for the advice, I actually just got it done after trying again. I switched to a KB+M and zoomed my camera out some and all of a sudden the fight was more manageable, imagine that. I still think it was harder than the previous quests up to this point though

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks.

Targeting with a controller is weird, I haven't really gotten the hang of it yet. I'd LIKE to, because it's easier to use a controller on the couch instead of having to pull out the KB+M. The zoom out was a big help though. Can you tell I don't have much experience with MMORPGs?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

parasyte posted:

by default with your weapon drawn you can't do this and it makes the pre-EW healer quests really loving annoying because the NPCs also don't count as part of your party

yeah I figured that out the first time I tried the quest, what a very stupid default setting

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Alright, I think I've got my targeting poo poo figured out for the controller - up/down to soft target allies to heal, left right to cycle through enemies to attack.

I'm kind of fascinated with this game's popularity - it feels really old school, like a much older Final Fantasy game got remastered or something. The quests (so far) are extremely basic and simple to complete, the animations are rudimentary, voice acting is rare. But, like, the lighting is really nice and you can play it in 4K.

That said I'm enjoying my time with it. The quests don't wear out their welcome and the numbers go up at a satisfying pace. It's a generally relaxing game and the vibes are good. But yeah, sorta feeling like a spruced up JRPG circa ~2009 in the early game.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Doomykins posted:

FF14 is carried by word of mouth from a devoted player base with ARR being a sort of toll paid to see the devs knock it out of the park later, especially if you consider they were in full panic mode for all of ARR and HW dev to save a sinking ship.

I mean word of mouth is why I'm trying it so that makes sense.

One thing I like is that the locations are BIG - buildings, areas, the scale is big in a way you don't see from single player games. I think that's just an MMO thing to fit lots of players but it also lends the cities a surprising sense of scale

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Level 27, getting antsy with this MSQ.

I understand the story is a Slow Burn and I'm not necessarily opposed to that, but the quests of this slow burn story are just... nothing. A general "interaction" button press at the glowing thing, a fight that is just mashing attack spell until they are dead, reading some dialogue. Nice job, go back and report to the quest giver. Over and over.

I think my biggest problem is that the battles are straight up boring right now. Fun combat can sustain a game and early game FFXIV combat ain't it. The dialogue isn't badly written, but it's so entirely forgettable so far and it's not like I have any dialogue choices to make to spice the interactions up.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Xerophyte posted:

If at that (or any!) point you think "this fundamentally sucks and I will never vibe with the core mechanics of this game or the structure of this narrative", well, you're probably right. If instead you think "this is kinda plodding, I wish the story had more punch and the pace of gameplay was faster" then there's reason to think those things will happen.

I'm not sure which one of these I'm at. I do think the quests suck but I think I'm willing to stick it out to get to some fun dungeons. fun/hectic/difficult co op dungeon runs are really the draw for me I think

Xerophyte posted:

I wouldn't suggest anyone level as primarily Lancer/Dragoon or, worse, Conjurer/White Mage in ARR.

lol welp

I picked White Mage because I don't mind being a healer and I thought it'd give me shorter dungeon queues. So far the fights are Stone II > Stone II > Stone II > Stone II >>... and occasionally topping off my tank's health if I'm in a dungeon.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I was powering through but these Sylphs quests finally made me google “how to buy a level skip”

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'm not actually going to buy a skip, these late 20s quests were just the first time I wondered if I could because boy what a slog

gtrmp posted:

Depending on how much you've outleveled the MSQ, if you're really soured on the ARR story, it might be tempting to buy the story skip that starts you directly in Heavensward and then manually level up to 50 by doing daily roulettes and other side activities.

I don't think I've soured on the ARR story, it doesn't even feel like it's really started yet. I'm too busy doing a dance for three sylphs. C'mon Square, that's sidequest filler, don't make me do that.

Fighting Ifrit with a party of real people was cool though.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

who even needs to buy a skip? I just watched a cut scene in a duty, and when it was over the boss was already dead and the duty was complete.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Infected posted:

I think with ARR there is also a disconnect of expectation. You come into the game that is generally considered to be the best or atleast in direct contention of being the best MMO on offer currently and what you get with ARR is a very basic by the numbers MMO experience.

people talk about it being the best Final Fantasy full stop, which floors me. even if the story gets great (and so far it's extremely typical JRPG), the way it's presented is so lacking that I'm kind of shocked a million people pushed through it. Just quest after quest of unvoiced dialogue (seriously, an RPG MSQ should be voiced, come on) and doing the same thing; every time I go to Minfilia and she has "a new lead for me to look into" I groan because I know exactly what it's going to be. I feel like I've done dozens of hours of filler sidequests, punctuated by the very occasional dungeon.

despite my criticisms I haven't quit yet because the high level dungeons seem fun, and I'm not really sure where else to get that specific brand of co-op class based dungeon crawling (especially on console).

sooo anyway, that's how I'm feeling about FFXIV at level 35. maybe picking up a new class would break up the monotony, I dunno.

btw these posts are just for anyone curious about my specific new player experience as someone who isn't an experienced MMORPG player, if you're having fun please don't let me stop you!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

it's tempting, but I actually don't even know if the ARR skip is possible for me since I'm on the Xbox free trial beta thing.

Anyway, I picked up Lancer to level up just to try something different and take a break from the MSQ. I think running and around hunting FATEs to level this job is probably the most fun I've had in this game so far. Just cannot get down with absolute brain-dead questing of the MSQ

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

GilliamYaeger posted:

Putting together a seperate team to focus on a complete rewrite of ARR would be a very good investment. Just need to do 2.0 to 2.3. 2.4 and 2.5 are fine.

Looking back in this thread, there seems to be a cycle of people like me coming to the game and asking "hey why does this kinda suck?" and veterans going "no its good you just have to power through this sucky poo poo".

making the first thing new players do more fun, or at least SHORTER, would probably help their mega popular game get even more mega popular

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

there's SO MANY quests that I'm just skimming dialogue at this point (unless it seems legit important) because I know I still have another 100+ to go and I'm just gathering ingredients for a feast or some poo poo. they should cut like a third of these.

just because the quest structure is simple enough that you can add hundreds of them in the name of Story and content, doesn't make it a better game imo. everyone needs an editor.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 5, 2024

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Ha. I tried Duty Support for one dungeon to figure out my controls, and I don't want to use it again.

There's something about playing with real people, even if we're a team of randos with no communication, that makes it fun

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

please tell me these Titan banquet quests are going pay off at some point

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

weirdly I don't mind this questline, it feels very deliberately low stakes and relaxed and I'm willing to see where they're going with it

this turned into the "Sideshow Bob stepping on rakes" of FFXIV questlines - it's so boring that it's become interesting again

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 6, 2024

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

Also the whole (Lv 30)Waking Sands massacre business.

Yeah how about that? Pretty clever of them to spend 30 hours lulling me into thinking nothing interesting was going to happen

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Yeeah, starting to feel like this just ain't my kind of game. I wish it was, but I'm still getting zero joy out of the MSQ, and I'm not really sure more expansions are gonna fix that. I'm just skimming and skipping way too much dialogue to the point where I'm wondering why I'm playing anymore.

It's the unvoiced dialogue, it's the dated (though often pretty) graphics, it's the sheer number of quests that are often just you getting the runaround from a half a dozen people. All that in service of a very slow burn of a story. If it were more social, maybe these things would be tolerable, but it's basically felt like a single player game aside from a few dungeons.

Anyway, I do appreciate how good and helpful everyone in this thread is.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Ojjeorago posted:

Are you doing all the yellow quests? You might have more fun if you mainline through ARR.

Oh I am. It probably isn’t helping that I am just doggedly focused on the MSQ and class quests, but when there are so drat many of them and you need to level up to get your abilities, I didn’t want to waste any more time to get to the better stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

BlazetheInferno posted:

They're very different approaches, but FF14 is definitely the one that values story, and presents it well. FF14 may be an MMO, but frankly, it's a Final Fantasy game first, and an MMO second.

about that...

After I took a break from ARR I still had an itch to play a Final Fantasy, so I picked up FFX.

Man, being (almost) fully voiced adds SO MUCH. And animations that aren't just basic gestures. Even though FFX is a decade+ older than ARR, is still extremely linear, and probably has mechanically similar quests (go to a place, listen to dialogue, fight people), I'm just way more engaged in the narrative because of the presentation.

I know FFX isn't an MMO and it's maybe not a fair comparison, but I really think they should go back and add voice acting to the ARR MSQ. Especially if it's really that important to the rest of the FFXIV story.