Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Hello thread, I have semi-recently started playing this-here video game. I'm an Arcanist who just hit level 30 and am trying to decide whether to primary level Summoner or Scholar. I'm leaning towards the latter for shorter duty queues, how soloable are healers? I don't have a regular party to play with and want to make sure I'm not signing up for getting my rear end kicked by big monsters that need more than my pithy Ruin can provide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

iPodschun posted:

As Orcs mentioned, overworld soloing is not a big thing in this game. There are occasional collect bear asses quests but using a healer for them just means it'll take a minute longer than it would with a DPS job. Same for solo instanced quests.

Arcanist does not do a hard branch into Scholar or Summoner though; you will be leveling both simultaneously by playing one of them. This is the only set of jobs that does this. You will be free to switch between them as you please as long as you keep up your gearing for both. So if there are quests that require you to kill stuff and you want to do it faster, you can switch over to Summoner.

Oh, rad. Weird, but rad. Thanks!

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Oh that reminds me, I got a Glamour Prism or w/e from a quest earlier. How does the glamour system work, exactly?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Hey hey, finally got my first bit of player toxicity after ~30h. Pretty impressed it took that long, tbh. Story itself is pretty unexciting though, was running the leveling roulette and the tank pulled one too many mobs, I was leveling Conjurer and am still pretty new and wasn't able to save it. Someone ended up going off on the tank, probably wasted more time being mad than we lost by wiping.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Oh yeah I don't particularly care, was just kind of astonishing to suddenly see Dota-tier toxicity in my chill anime MMO

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

WHM is... weirdly fun? Am I... am I a healer?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

So talk to me about buying the game instead of using the free trial. I know there's a lot of features blocked off in the free trial, especially around social interactions. Is there any reason to buy the Standard Edition (ARR+Heavensward) instead of the Complete Edition (all expansions)? Will I be on the hook for the subscription fee even while still doing free trial content if I buy now while I'm in late ARR? I'm enjoying the game and will probably buy it to play all the story content, but also I'd rather not pay for a subscription to continue playing the content I'm already playing for free.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Jonny 290 posted:

Where are you at in the ARR/HW story? If you've got a way to go you can probably hold off another month. on the other hand you should subscribe so you can accept trades and i can hand you this 500k gil i got from levelskipping DRG that i don't need.

e: you do get a free month when you buy the game. And i strongly recommend buying the whole thing, but beware - there will be minor spoilers on the title screen when it starts playing movies if you buy the whole buffet; don't let them run forever.

Uh I'm currently up to the ARR MSQ quest The Black Wolf's Ultimatum, which is a level 46 quest. This being said I wasn't enjoying either Scholar or Summoner much so I decided to try out Conjurer, and am now grinding White Mage up to that level so I can continue the MSQ with that class instead--I think my WHM is up to 38, as of logging off last night. I have no idea how far that is from the end of ARR/HW content, although I assume it's still a ways to go.

Really the issue here is there's a guild Free Company on my server I wanna see about joining, but obvs can't do that while I'm still a sprout. I'm down for buying the game now to let me join, but I'm cheap and want to pay as few subscription months as possible :v:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Ice Fist posted:

Just did a run of the Great Gubal Library with two sprouts in the leveling roulette. They struggled with the mechanics, but we got through it after I explained how everything worked. Our BLM rage quit after a wipe on the last boss. We eventually got through it though and I was feeling super good about teaching the new guys the mechanics and getting through it in spite of 3-4 wipes.

Not a single commend. :(

Just play a healer, I pretty much always get at least one commend per dungeon :eng101:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I just finished ARR last night and to be honest I ended up really liking it by the end, the story starts slow and it's definitely simple but it gave me enough motivation to enjoy the final sequences. Some of those end challenges are pretty interesting and tough, too!

So now that I'm onto 2.x content and then HW, mind explaining raiding in FFXIV to me? The only game I've raided in before is Destiny, where the raid teams are much smaller but basically require voice chat to survive. Is the Raid Finder a good way to do that? Are people generally chill towards healers who are new to the game and still learning? Should I just skip the ARR raiding scene and go straight to HW?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Jonny 290 posted:

quigs, you should (and eventually, Must) do the Crystal Tower raids. They are notoriously hilarious shitshows. A mix of sprouts running it their first time who don't know the mechanics, and vets doing it for roulettes who don't care about them. You will die. Others will die. poo poo will be going off everywhere. But it's tremendous fun and you'll ooh and aah at the dungeons.

How long on average do raids take? Need to know so I can block off IRL time accordingly

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I tend to drop a Regen on the tank if I think a trash pull is gonna be dicey but I'll only spend the time dropping actual heals if they get below half, and I'm still a mega-sprout WHM. I have to imagine good healers can go way further before they start dedicating time to healing the tank.

e: this is assuming the leveling roulette hasn't given me loving Satasha again, in which case I only get access to Cure I and I probably won't heal you the entire dungeon :v:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Super informative post, thank you! So it sounds like I should be safe to queue any normal difficulty raid (except Coils) with the same kind of IRL commitment as a dungeon?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Alright, cool. That's definitely a relief coming from my days raiding King's Fall :negative:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Thanks for all the raid advice, ran the first two sections of the first raid tonight and had a blast. Everyone was super nice even as I did dumb poo poo and got half the party killed too :v:

e: actually one more question regarding Coils specifically, is there any reason I need to actually play it myself (barring like specific drops and whatnot) or am I good to just find a youtube video with all the cutscenes and experience its story that way?

quiggy fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 10, 2022

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Roach Warehouse posted:

Love the concept of the warrior of light as a chill craftsman who is called in to kick magical butt against their better inclination.

I mean as far as I can tell every white mage in ARR is canonically a tree-hugging stoner who gets called up every so often to fling rocks at whatever the current threat to the realm is, so this isn't that far off

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I just checked the MSQ list and oh my god I'm not even halfway through the ARR patch content yet :negative:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

One thing I will absolutely give the 2.x patch content is that the instanced content is just so, so good. I just did Shiva last night and it was incredible, plus the plot attached to that was really compelling too. Shame all the rest of the content is so grindy!

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I'm so close to Ishgard :negative:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

WrightOfWay posted:

It's mostly this but also partially that WHM's MP economy is pretty dire before Assize. It mostly doesn't matter for stuff of that level but you really feel it when you have an undergeared tank pulling all of Snowcloak or you have more than two deaths on the final boss of ARR.

I've found WHM's MP works fine so long as you're hitting your Lucid Dreaming cooldowns and only using Cure II when it's absolutely necessary. It's really easy to run out if all you're doing is standing in the middle of the group spamming Medica, which is why you should not be doing that.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Arist posted:

I agree with that quoted statement if you replace "only using Cure II" with "only using GCD heals"

I would imagine there's more later but for a sprout in the early stages of Heavensward my oGCD heals are... Benediction and Assize, the first of which has a 3min cooldown and the latter of which has a 90s cooldown :negative:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Alxprit posted:

Regen is good. Use Regen. Especially now that it doesn't continually peel off aggro anymore. A good Regen will keep a tank alive through a pull almost completely by itself at lower levels if everyone's on the ball.

Regen is very good, and the fact that it's an instant cast means you can stick it on the tank right before they pull so your GCD can be spent getting into position! I love that spell :swoon:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I'm sorry, the companion app costs an additional fee? :psyduck:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Vitamean posted:

tying the companion app to your account is free and grants the emote.

for an additional fee you get a retainer, an additional favorite teleport, and some stuff in the app I've never actually heard anyone use

e: the additional teleport is also free. my bad. subbing does get you a second chocobo saddlebag though.

ah yeah that makes more sense

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Out of curiosity, what makes it so bad? I wasn't a big fan of the HW WHM plotline but I definitely wouldn't dunk on it as hard as y'all do the PLD one.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

wow yeah that sounds p bad, thanks

e: :synpa:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Mainwaring posted:

I found whm Heavensward quests fine, but a lot of that was the whole taint thing being really funny

I just finished this plotline last night and the final battle has a mechanical twist I haven't seen before, so that was neat. Other than that though... eh I just had no attachment to the plot and didn't care about it outside of unlocking new abilities.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Alright how am I supposed to get a party together for the Singularity Reactor :negative:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Bruceski posted:

queue up for it and let the servers do the work?

I eventually got a duty pop, after 45 minutes :/

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

It was just now, so I guess the pop was around 1:20 PM ET. I'm playing as WHM too which made it especially frustrating.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I just unlocked Eureka. What... what is this, what am I supposed to be doing, and is it worth doing in TYOOL 2022.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Shinjobi posted:

It's beautiful. A wonderful blend of monotony, brutality and redundancy. Poetry.

There is a neat wheel of elements, at least

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Eureka is more akin to old-school, pre-WoW MMO games. FFXI being the big example, especially so considering the entire game mode is basically one gigantic FFXI reference. If you're the type to enjoy needing to carefully sneak around much-higher-level enemies to get to where you need to go, quests not providing markers and relying on you paying attention to dialogue (or looking up how to progress), needing to think about the map in three dimensions in order to find hidden routes, heavy punishment for dying, and good ol' fashioned grinding off of enemies, then you'll probably enjoy Eureka.

If those things sound like hell to you, then yeah I wouldn't recommend it. If you enjoy those things, then I also recommend trying out FFXI cus it rules and is somehow still alive and supported by SE.

This is probably the most useful post, thanks. I might spend some time checking it out when I'm bored of MSQ grinding, but also not about to drop everything to power through it either.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

As someone working my way through the MSQ for the first time, having recently finished Stormblood, ARR is leagues behind the rest of the game in terms of drudgery. Even when HW or StB makes you go back and forth to do something, there's at least an interesting story behind it, and the greatly improved zone design helps a lot. I think the worst bit of the post-ARR MSQ so far is probably the Loth ast Gnath section of the Dravanian Forelands, and even that's way better than its equivalent sections in ARR.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Dareon posted:

Having a good supply of gil can mitigate this once you get deep into HW because there's a vendor in a late town that sells every crafting ingredient.

Wait, what? I must've missed this NPC, where are they?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

The Scrap Salvager in Idyllshire, same NPC that you buy custom delivery parts from. The "Purchase Items III" menu is what you're looking for.

Edit: There's a similar NPC for Stormblood. ShB/EW don't have one, but instead have ways to purchase monster drops in exchange for a special currency.

Rad, thanks.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I've been playing WHM exclusively for the MSQ since like level 35 or so and I'm currently deep in the Shadowbringers patch content and have had very little friction from playing the story as a healer. Play the jobs you find interesting and fun, they're all viable.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Paperhouse posted:

I guess something I was getting at that I didn't actually ask was, what kind of weapons and skills do healers have for dealing damage? I'm so used to regular JRPGs where healers are just rod wielding cure bots that my tiny brain can't even imagine a different situation

It's different for each of the Healer classes but WHM is the simplest: you get a single-target damage spell, a single-target damage-over-time spell, and an AOE with a stun effect attached. At higher levels WHM also gets a spell called Afflatus Misery that's one of the highest damage spells in the game, although you can cast it at most once per minute and requires a little setup. It's definitely not the most interesting kit in the game for solo play, but it's still engaging enough when doing like single player boss fights and whatnot, especially when you figure you'll still have to heal yourself and cast buffs and debuffs and such.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

So I just hit Endwalker (:toot:) and think I'm going to switch to Sage as my main class since my previous main class, White Mage, is now at max level. I did the intro quests last night but I still feel very unsure about how to use the class in group content, does anyone have any good guides or tutorials or what have you for helping someone get the basics of Sage? I don't need like a "how to clear Savage content" guide or whatever, just something so I can not make an rear end of myself in a dungeon/trial/raid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Hey thanks for all the Sage tips yesterday, played a goodly amount of Sage last night and did mostly fine--a few snags here and there but hey, that's what learning is for. Only wiped once and that was Aurum Vale with a sprout tank sooo