Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I just past that point on an alt, and unless you are going out of your way to get gear, the hall of the novice gear is going to still be good for a long while.

While the hints it gives are dubious, the rewards are better than what you're getting from quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's probably an underserved audience for a few reasons. Ask 5 different people what an obvious mechanic is and you'll get 5 different answers. And the truly anxious probably want to side with more information than less.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Well the Shadowbringers trailer ends as a Dark Knight being victorious.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Healers can easily solo everything. Quests as you've seen don't have a ton of combat, and healers don't deal an insignificant amount of damage.

If anything they're a bit boring solo, but they're quite capable.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Nothing was noticeably wrong last time I viewed them.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Nearly everything in the game is unlocked through quests, most of which will be tied to MSQ progression as well. Most dungeons, especially post-ARR, are directly in the main story. There are a handful of optional ones, especially once you hit level 50, so keep an eye open for blue + quests that aren't jobs, etc.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The class / job restrictions are pretty story-based. Most job stones are exceedingly rare and controlled, especially things like White Mage or Black Mage.

Mechanically the npc squad doesn't care, but lore-wise the WoL having access to any of them at all really is a big deal.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I want to say you're going to have about 30 buttons. Most jobs are right around that number.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah they trim abilities pretty aggressively. A level 50 dragoon now looks nothing like a level 50 dragoon from ARR. They have the upper bound ability count for controller users, and they try to stay in that window.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

euphronius posted:

When should I start worrying about gear and items in my bags. I’m someone in the mid 30s in the msq.

Don’t worry about gear until max level or the first time you don’t meet the ilvl requirements for a duty. Quests and dungeons will keep you at the right gear level for the most part, and at the level caps - 50/60/70 etc you can earn currencies that give you the highest level gear for the expansion.

As far as the random crafting items go, just sell them unless you plan on using them immediately. They’re easy to replace, and probably from a vendor at your level.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
At level 50 it's mostly just let the fairy do the most of it, and use your aetherflow on lustrates. Especially do not forget about whispering dawn. Sacred soil is generally less mitigation than a lustrate heals, at this point. Shields are a trap so don't use them unless you need them. Toss an adlo between pulls or whatever but it's not like you want to keep high shield uptime or anything like that. If you do need to get into GCD spam, physic heals more than adlo if the shield isn't being refreshed.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
WeskAlber is generally the go to guy for rotation videos at various level ranges. Never seen his stuff but he’s recommended a lot.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
If you're on the free trial you should be able to go to 60, but it really depends on everything else. Are you done the story and don't want to play? Don't level anything else. Are you still doing the story and would want to level something else out to continue it? Yeah, go ahead.

It sure would not be worth the trouble for me to level a new class to your point just to continue with the level-based story, and wasting exp has never been a concern because they just shower it on you.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah in that case it'll be really up to whether you care about "wasting" exp or not. You can either grind something up to your Warrior level, or keep going because exp is an infinite resource.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Another big thing they do is just cull skills. Every expansion some transform, and some get outright deleted.

At certain points jobs will need to be overhauled again to make them more cohesive, but they don't just add skills ad infinitum.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
That's the theory, but Ninja has better personal DPS than both Reaper and Dragoon, despite coming in with Mug.

Reaper also has less support than arguably any melee except Samurai.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's less egregious in dungeons because there's so much downtime it's easy to refresh.

Trials or raids low level is worse.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Shields are mostly a trap to depend on. They're absolutely vital in things like savage or higher, but anything less they're just kinda there because I'm using free things like Seraph or one of the Haimas.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

DalaranJ posted:

Sage incentivizes using Eukrasian Diagnosis with Addersting though. Is it best to optimize Toxikon usage or ignore it?

If you have to use an E. Diagnosis because you can literally do nothing else, go ahead and use it. It's not worth using it just to proc the Toxikon, because they're only as strong as a single Dosis, but takes two casts to deal that damage.

Plus you'll burn through your MP by using E. Diag too often.

Go into each fight assuming you'll have 3 Toxikons to ration, unless there's downtime.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 17, 2022

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There is a lot of damage in general, and it has a nice one-two of tankbuster into bleed damage that can flatten a tank in quick order if not prepared. It's definitely an outlier as far as dungeon bosses go.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Arzaac posted:

So what's the etiquette with running Extremes in Duty Finder? For context, I was running with 6 of my friends and we just needed a DPS for Garuda Extreme. We managed to finish it on our second try but the DPS with us seemed pretty upset that we did this through Duty Finder instead of Party Finder. My gut reaction was, why are you queuing up for Mentor Roulette if you don't want to do extremes, but maybe there's something I'm missing there.

Do what you want, but typically people will set up a party finder and advertise they're looking to do it synced or whatever. I don't know if you'll have much luck with legacy extremes, but it might work. Unfortunately old content above normal difficulty is just harder to run if you're trying to do it synced / at level / etc. due to the lack of interest. This will probably get you the best groups for it, if someone that's interested sees the listing.

You can try it in duty finder, but that's dependent on one of two things - other people are queuing for Garuda extreme (they aren't) or mentor roulette (which queues basically everything) will fill you in.

The mentor will be unhappy with you, but that's the risk they took for queuing it, and they're going to bitch and moan until you kick them and let them get on with their grind, and then they're going to tell you to just do it unsynced in pf like it's the same thing.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 25, 2022

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Master recipes will have stat requirements much higher than regular recipes, so you'll either need to be higher level or well-melded / fed. Being level 70 in 70 gear would be trivial.

That said, orchestrion rolls don't require quality, and are thus much easier to make since you can just hammer the progress bar.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Trial roulette isn't great when it isn't mid prime time. It's a low experience roulette and some of the story trials are questionable experiences.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Anyone that recommends pentamelding outside of early savage prog or max level crafting/gathering needs to be examined.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
ARR relics chew through a ton of them.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's one of the rewards they give out for the weapon design contests and the like.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Astrologian and Scholar would be worse on controller. Both have more buttons than their counterparts, and Astrologian has a lot more target switching and weaving going on. Both are feasible and usable, but those two definitely have their issues.

Conjurer/White Mage is your only option at the start anyways, unless you went Arcanist/Scholar(and Summoner).

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I wouldn't bother with it unless you want dyable Stormblood artifact armour, or really want the Ozma mount. That'll be a trip though. Even with all the streamlining, getting through all the content to get there is an uninteresting grind.

You grind mobs for the challenge log, and then you grind fates or the mobs needed to spawn them.
Then repeat until you can get to the next zone.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Schwartzcough posted:

Don't you need to engage with it on some level to get any of the Stormblood relic weapons? It's basically the only kind of pre-EW content I haven't touched, because it sounds Not Fun.

Yeah, forgot about them. You need to go through most of it to get the relic as well.

They look like rear end though.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
If using your level 70 kit against trash mobs and running around terrain that's obtrusive and cumbersome is engaging gameplay, then yeah I guess.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I didn't mind the Company of Heroes quests back in 2.X when I did it. The crystals was egregiously bad though.

The Titan questline at least has interesting characters and a bit of humour. The crystals do not.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Less than you might think. Extreme trials will often drop rolls you need to rebuild, and those are master, but the majority are usable on drop.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Picayune posted:

If, as a tank, I have a choice between two lv. 90 weapons:

- A blue weapon with +2 base damage which cannot be overmelded
- A green weapon which can, in theory, hold five materia

... which one should I pick? Okay, specifically I should wait for 6.3 to find out if a better weapon is coming, but in general? I've been prioritizing base damage so far but if I'm going to settle into a weapon that doesn't need to be replaced every two levels, I suppose the answer might be different.

Weapon damage beats everything. Barring that, higher weapon damage also aligns with higher main stats (str and vit) which beat secondary stats you get from materia.

There's an extremely rare edge case where this isn't the case, and it's because healer substats are hot loving garbage.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The key to completing the Paladin quests is to just silently nod and/or punch your palm and go along with whatever they say.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
DRK was a cop but took the Chris Dorner approach.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Selachian posted:

Any advice to someone who's brand new to Bozja? I headed over there because I eventually want to get one of the Resistance weapons 'cause it looks cool. Is there anything I should do other than run around and bash enemies until the good stuff drops?

You're going to get fragments and stuff from the enemies, that can be exchanged for lost actions. These are generally consumable abilities, although some have no limit, and can be extremely powerful. Use them. There's no point in holding on to them.

Other than that, yeah, farm fates, join CEs, get mettle.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
ARR probably isn't 100 hours. 40 maybe, unless you're really taking your time or doing side content. 10-20 more for the pre Heavensward patches.

If it's the walking around, talking to NPCs and watching cutscenes that you don't like, that never changes. That's the story delivery for the entire game. The writing, pacing, et al. gets better on all fronts but the structure is still that. The actual combat content - raids, etc., kinda start around level 50, but really hit their stride as each expansion passes. It really depends what you're looking for though.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 22, 2023

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Paperhouse posted:

at the moment i'm mainly interested in the plot, it's felt pretty much like a single player game to me so far and that's fine. I may be interested in more multiplayer stuff later but for now I just want to play through the story. I don't mind the way the MSQ works, I was just worried that I still had like 90 hours of fetch/kill quests to do before it got interesting

Heavensward (first expansion) is definitely a cut above. The story starts to come together in the 45-50 range, but Heavensward is really where it starts showing its quality.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Nothing that happened in FFT had any relation to what happened in the raid line. The names are the same but the stories are different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

I've been right the way through the to the end of the MSQ and never touched the raid stuff beyond the mandatory one because I just always figured it would be too stressful/hard/not for me but reading through this thread you've convinced me they're not actually that at all (well, not including Savage, etc) so I'm gonna get them done if for nothing else to see how punchable Ramza is

Heavensward settles on a good naming convention - anything normal or hard are considered story-level content, and you can freely queue into them and expect a decent time. They're pretty much all in roulettes so queuing is painless. Some of them are clownshows, but they're good for casual content. The occasional fight might have some traps and you might die a bit, but that shouldn't be an issue.

Extreme is where it takes a bit of prep, and prog time is the norm. Only the mentor roulette hits these and that'll be a bad time for everyone.

Savage is just the next tier up, and Ultimate is the top.

However, there are some holdovers from ARR that don't fit the pattern - the Ultima Weapon trial and Odin trial are kinda extremes. They're not in the normal roulettes in any case. And the entire Binding Coils of Bahamut raids is before the story/hard split, and tend on the hard side. You probably won't find groups for there outside of having some high level players steamrolling it for you for the bonus tomes.