Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

So I just finished Stormblood and figured I'd take on the raid quests as I'm going through the patch quests except, woops, my ilvl isn't high enough to start the raids. I don't have enough poetics to buy the augmented gear, should I just buy the highest lvl gil set available to me or do I have other options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Thanks everyone. I'll try to scrape together enough poetics to get started. Is there an easy way to get enough to buy the whole set? Is that even worth doing? I went through StB with the augmented HW set and it was enough to last me through the end of the expansion so I figure I can just do that again. But getting enough tomestones to buy everything could take a while and I'm curious if it's even worth it

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

It's nice to have the extra healing but honestly Choco Regen has terrible potency, it's easily outdone by auto attacks in my experience. You can splash a little bit of healing but I would just focus on DPS personally. I also just keep my bird on Free stance more often then not, cause then it'll focus on DPS while casting Regen as needed.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Zanael posted:

There were some pretty fun shenanigans with streamers that started XIV during the late ShadowBringers WoW exodus, it quickly became mandatory for twitch chat and ingame friendos to hype the fight as super hard, some went as far as providing a 130 pages guide by copying the UCOB strat. As some were hardcore WoW raiders they became super interested and preparing for the fight, only for it to last 10 seconds because of the ilvl 130 scaling
"I even put my raiders pants on and bought energy drinks, wtf !!"
Good times

All in all, Castrum is a way better experience than it was before, Praetorium is still kinda boring but at least they tried with some boss mechanics. Ultima Weapon fight is fine overall but the first part is waaaay too long after the first time you go through.
Still better than the late ARR version speedrun when you were 3 cutscenes behind everyone as a sprout. I don't remember when they made cutscenes mandatory but that was a good move. They could give us a vote skip when rolling with 4 non first timers though...
Nah, if they let you vote skip the cutscenes people would just leave if they entered with someone doing it for the first time. I think having a multiplayer dungeon with long unskippable cutscenes is just kind of a bad idea in general but if you're gonna do it the way it's implemented is about the only way to make it work

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I didn't care for much of Stormblood as I was playing it but once I got to the post expansion content I warmed up to it a bit. Still don't really care for the azim steppe content but it's fine overall

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

It's in a similar vein to how doing the menial tasks in 2.x content is kind of frustrating as you're going through it but it makes sense in retrospect because people don't see you as a hero yet, you're just a guy acting like one in their eyes. Doing the "fetch us cheese and wine" questline makes a little more sense when the guy straight up admits he's taking the piss because he doesn't think you're capable of doing the things you say you're gonna do

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

AndrewP posted:

I picked White Mage because I don't mind being a healer and I thought it'd give me shorter dungeon queues. So far the fights are Stone II > Stone II > Stone II > Stone II >>... and occasionally topping off my tank's health if I'm in a dungeon.

As another WHM main the early game dungeons won't be much more complicated than this but it doesn't take too long before your healing kit starts to diversify. Your DPS won't evolve much beyond "keep aero up, spam stone" but when you get to content that requires a lot of proactive and reactive healing (sooner than you might think!) you'll be glad for the simplicity. During an intense fight even making sure Aero is up can be a lot for me to handle

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

If you skip ARR then you miss the tragic life and death of Moenbryda

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I'm going through the SHB leveling dungeons for the first time, and I'm finding it difficult to keep up heals on the tank when they're doing big pulls. While they rarely die, I usually have to focus all of my attention and abilities on keeping the tank alive and can't really do any kind of DPS to help take down the many mobs they pull. Is there anything I should be doing to help keep the Tank in a better position? I'm a WHM and up til now I've been fine just keeping Regen up and using lilies as necessary but it almost feels like my lillies are falling off in potency and they barely do anything to restore health. I could be doing more to upgrade my iLevel but I was under the impression that it doesn't really matter until you hit max level content for that expansion anyways

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Mister Olympus posted:

On your end, remember that starting with Holy until the cumulative stun resistance wears off is a good 10 seconds of the tank not getting hit AND you contributing damage.

So what do you mean by this? Do you mean spamming Holy, or just using it once at the start of the encounter? I have been using it during pulls but I don't feel like the stun has always been that strong in mitigating damage, maybe I just need to be more intelligent in how I use it?

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

As someone who has rushed through content to try to catch up to current content and story, don't do it it's absolutely not worth the grind and burnout that'll follow

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Like I wouldn't recommend it otherwise under normal circumstances but I would say someone would be better off buying a story skip rather than trying to rush through it if that was their goal, at least then you'd enter dawntrail without all the weight of the sheer grind on your back

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

It's just silly because their new moveset boils down to a 1-2-3 combo that's consolidated to 1 button, an oGCD that you weave every 10 seconds or so, and a self heal. I get that they don't want to overwhelm you by throwing you into the deep end of a level 70 class you've never seen, but if you want me to feel powerful playing as this character you need to give me a few more options than that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Bad how? Because for me the story ramps up heavily at the end of ARR and that section of the game is one of the most memorable parts of the whole experience (no story spoilers, just impressions)