Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

A friend of mine kept bouncing off the game because of how the 1-50 content is basically handholding you the entire time. So we got him back into it when they made the Crystal Tower series a requirement to get into Heavensward.

There's such an incredible jump in "yeah, things will just loving murder you" there that he started to enjoy the game right then and there.

Anyways I last played all the way through 6.0 when it came out then stopped playing for a while and decided to roll a new character a few months back. Absolutely loving it just as much as I did the first time around. Finishing up 6.0 tonight then finally getting to go onto the patch content! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Autisanal Cheese posted:

my main problem as a BLM is trying to remember all this poo poo while trying not to die to mechanics

This is why I main DRG. I can die to mechanics because I’ve spammed five cooldowns that all immobilize me through their animations and the healers will just sigh and go “loving dragoon” while hitting their rez macro, but sometimes I remember to hit ctrl+1 to jump backwards… only to still get hit by the AoE for 300,000 damage.

The jumping animations and aerial cartwheels with a poleaxe make it worth it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

It occurs to me that I've finished Endwalker and never bothered to do the chocobo companion quest.

Probably ought to do that for the extra inventory slots since my armoury chest is constantly overflowing.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

aegof posted:

thats too much money

Or in my case:

"help me with my budget my bird is dying"
"spend less on glams"
"no"

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

That's one thing I do miss about being in the goon FC, having full access to kitted out houses. My current FC is my IRL friends group and we've been trying to grab a medium plot of Behemoth for months now even with multiple bids per plot at times :smith:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Been playing a bit of sage and while it's fun to shoot lasers at enemies to feed the tank handfuls of aspirin I think I find it a bit more stressful than I remember WHM being. Doesn't seem to have as many consistently big "press this to do large heals" buttons.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

Hell, Primal's economy is hosed enough that even just world-travel is often enough to get a massive discount on expensive crafting materials or what-have-you.

Last week someone on Excalibur was selling multiple stacks of thousands of Ice Crystals for 6 gil per crystal. :psyduck:

For a few brief glorious hours last month, general-purpose metallic silver dye was 90k on Behemoth and 15-20k on all the other worlds in Primal.

Made a cool two million off that.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

While i'd trust her with my life I would not trust Nashu with explosives. Despite this fact she gets her hands on them quite often and easily.

Considering we have the power to resurrect ourselves at our preferred aetheryte to hug and kiss, I'd trust her with anything just to see what happens.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

the funniest part is the fact that he knows enough english to recognise the question before it's translated and he just breaks down laughing

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's fluent, he just sticks to Japanese with the occasional English answer for fun.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Runa posted:

cutscenes were one of the things 1.0 splurged on, much like flower pots

which they overcompensated for with the 16-triangle ShB grapes

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

Or turn your battle effects down and main WHM without constantly flashbanging yourself.

That's like half the fun of playing WHM though

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

I have an FC friend who was playing BLM with full effects on, and we only realized that when he said he didn't notice the flare marker during Emanation. That one's real hard to miss, so I figured that had to be what was going on, and his reaction was an instant "oh my god this is so much better, my eyes don't hurt any more".

I wish there were a more granular level of configuration for what exactly constitutes "limited" effects. Like, I was in an instance the other day and the despite being on limited, the MCH in the party's effects were all invisible. Not a huge issue, but it looked kinda stupid.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I found a plugin that lets me turn full effects on for 4 and 8 player parties and down to limited for alliance raids. Now I can see the pretty lights in roulettes and also be able to not stand in the bad accidentally in crystal tower (because I swear to god that's the only raid series in the alliance roulette pool)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Ruzihm posted:

EVERY TUESDAY MORNING I WAKE UP AND ART OF WAR SLAM INTO THE LEVELING ROULETTE. ITS AURUM VALE AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE TANK, METEOR SURVIVOR. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME AETHERFLOW OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP MITIGATION. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE STAR'S MOST DANGEROUS DUNGEON. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY ALLIANCE RAIDS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN ALLIANCE RAIDS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE MECHS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY CARBUNCLE BETTER GEARED BY DOING EM ALL. 2 PULLS INCLUDING FIRST ROOM MEME EVERY TUESDAY MORNIng.

Can we get Luke Allen-Gale to do this one as well?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The WoL realizes that they’re a white mage and not a conjurer anymore and Holy-izes the rest of their attack magic

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I feel like I need to go back and NG+ the whole Heavensward experience now.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Ojjeorago posted:

How clean is your taint though?

Bidet Mage

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Apart from the Zenos fight in Rhalgar's Reach the whole first three levels of the StB MSQ just feel like a series of side stories that got promoted to MSQ to set up recurring plotlines for the next five years.

But it definitely actually gets good once you're in the Far East and have an actual plan to reach your goal of stickin' it to the empire.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

i pop pots on every dungeon boss > lv50 just to establish the habit. make em and i'll buy em

Time for me to level ALC

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

BeneG has a really good skit about that scene.

(ShB spoilers, obviously, but it should be just up to what you've already seen as long as you don't read the comments.)

This one makes me bust out laughing every time.

(89 trial post-cutscene spoilers)

(raha is my good boy)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

It looks like you can switch class/job anytime you want? If I'm reading this right? You just have to do a few quests for the guild or whatever to get familiar with its mechanics?

That sounds appealing since I also never had a burning desire to replay through content to get another class as an alt.

Yep! Your active class/job is determined by what main hand equipment you have on. To make life easier you can create gear sets that automatically equip all of the equipment saved to that gear set when you activate it, which will switch your job, equipment, and hotbars on command.

FFXIV really incentivizes playing what you want when you feel like it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

"Mom, Dad, please stop fighting" is a joke one of my FC friends made during the Nero/Cid cutscene and I've stolen it a few times.

"SAY THE LINE, GAIUS" is one I tend to use in Porta Decumana.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I've been doing the 80-90 MIN grind through custom deliveries and tribal dailies, and so far I've gotten to 87 through only a week's worth of dailies and two cycles of custom delivery turn-ins.

poo poo is quiiiiiick. And the story is fun.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

For some reason I always feel bad burning rested XP on DoH/DoL jobs when I have so many combat jobs still either not at 90 or not even unlocked yet. I really need to get over that considering how easy it is to cheese your way through most levels these days.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

You just made my day.

Is there any way to macro adjusting the framerate cap? I don't need 144 fps idling in limsa and my computer just sits there roasting

No, but there's a checkbox for "limit FPS when client inactive" and if you alt-tab it changes your FPS limit temporarily to 15.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Maybe. You might get some success out of /gpresets You can swap around in different graphics presets, but I don't know if those are default or if you can change the settings of each preset, or if fps is even in those settings.

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/text_command/43a3cfdb7fb/

As far as I know those are the defaults, so if you have anything changed in your graphics settings, /gpresets will clobber them.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Professor Beetus posted:

:eyepop:

good lord, and I did it long before those even existed. what the gently caress, how did I manage

For me, it was because Warlords of Draenor was so horribly poo poo of a disappointment that I picked up ARR, and I was committed to getting all the way through it just out of sheer spite.

Ended up being my favourite MMO. Go figure.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Reminds me, I probably oughta level all crafters and gatherers to 90 before Dawntrail starts.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Speaking of WHM tools, I'm ashamed to say it, but I've mained WHM since ARR and yet I've spent all of Endwalker not knowing what the hell I'm supposed to do with Liturgy of the Bell. It feels like one of those "pop it right before a raidwide and hope you can mitigate another couple raidwides with it" spells.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Aurum Vale is definitely a dungeon that trips folks up a lot. It's unusually obtuse at points. It syncs to i49 I think as well.

Eat the fruit at two stacks, it's an automatic cleanse when you use the world object. The tank overpulling on it is something the tank should probably recognize -- it's one of two dungeons from that era that you just can not wallpull on because the amount of damage coming in from 2-3 packs is way higher than the output of an ilvl synced healer can counter (the other being Stone Vigil Hard).

Plus people will just step in the golden goop and eat poo poo and not recognize cause and effect.

Don't sweat it too much. That instance sucks.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Stone Vigil Hard is one that annoys me specifically because, as a healer main, tanks will wallpull, we wipe, and the tank goes "heals???????" in party chat, and if I queue in as a tank and get it, and I take it slow, I get bitched at for not wallpulling (because I know wallpulling will wipe us).

loving Stone Vigil.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

When I think "interesting level geometry", Sea of Clouds does not come to mind ever.

I will straight up ignore a weekly hunt mark if it happens to be in Sea of Clouds. I don't need the 20 aetheryte tickets that badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

In-lore, the Minstrel's Ballad is your slightly psychotic parasocial superfan with bard inclinations making up additional details about fights you've told him about, and the EX fights are you "reliving" story fights through the several layers of bullshit he's concocted.