Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Game is fun and still worth playing. Thanks for new thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Having been tanking for a week now I'm *mostly* over my tankxiety. The only times I'm in trouble are where I forget tank stance or I've forgotten how something works in an alliance raid. I got yelled at in crystal tower labyrinth for not knowing what I was doing, but it was cool we made it through anyways. I'm now in the habit it just googling fights just to see if there's anything special for tanks to be doing.

Oh, and that one other time where I accidentally used lb. I was doing a main scenario roulette and fighting ultima. Right at the end someone was like 'get ready to use lb'. Internally I panicked. First was because I hadn't rebound lb to my hotbar. Second was because although I had done this fight a dozen times it'd been a while and I didn't remember the players requiring a lb. Third was because I'm someone who recently made it through the MSQ and there were a couple of boss fights that required a tank lb. So I was like oh poo poo I'm going to gently caress this up. super quickly I tossed lb on my horbar. Someone in chat was like "NOW" and I spammed it. I was not supposed to lb and got scolded. We made it through anyways.

People are 90% very cool with how I've been playing. I can absolutely tell though when there's a veteran player who is impatient. I mostly do wall to wall pulls now that I'm out of ARR content, but sometimes I'll forget exactly how far the walls are and I'll pull one less mob or something and the impatient healer/dps will run ahead and pull it themselves. Which is annoying, but I somewhat get it.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 26, 2022

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

I always say at the very least "hi" and "gg". As a newish tank, if something goes wrong - normally with large pulls - I immediately cuss out the healer blame myself by saying something like "damnit" or "welp" or "mb".

As DPS, the comm always goes to the tank unless a healer had to work extra hard because I was a bad BLM standing in to many shiny circles. As a tank I'm 100% always giving the comm to the healer. I haven't been a healer yet, but to complete the triangle I'd probably give it to the dps that didn't make me work the hard.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Flair posted:

I manage to defeat Ultima with duty support. I died once because I was conditioned for the NPCs to generally follow the mechanics of the fight, but when the marker was placed on me to be stacked on, the NPCs got stuck on the boss's body, unable to path to me. Nonetheless, the NPCs generally seem okay.

But now I am stuck on Thornmarch (Hard). There is no duty support for it, and thus it seems my singleplayer run has met its end.

By singleplayer run do you mean playing through without using duty finder?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Flair posted:

Yeah, I will reappear in this or similar thread in 3 years then

Is it just because you don't want to deal with other people in dungeons/raids? I'm not judging I'm just curious. Is it a challenge run?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

I tried to use NPCs at the beginning of SHB thinking that I'd clear them faster without waiting in queue and discovered that I finished them faster - even considering the queue wait for a DPS - if I just used the duty finder. The NPCs were slowwww. I abandoned the duty and just queued it up.

Maybe I was doing something wrong but that was my experience.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

the only dungeon where I'd say to go in with NPCs even if you generally prefer playing with humans is the level 87 one. You'll know why when you get there.

Oh man. I’ve done it already but nice my DRK hits 87 I’ll do that because it sounds awesome.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Like Clockwork posted:

Yeah, it's nice to be able to just gently caress around and take my time rather than having to hustle through a dungeon that either I'm unfamiliar with or am doing with a new class.

Yeah this makes perfect sense. I just get impatient.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

I've been pretty successful with grouping my cooldowns into groups and I'll try my best to use one "group" per wall to wall pull although it sometimes doesn't work out that way. In any case, I'll do something like the 30% mitigation and reprisal. Or Rampart and Arms length. Obviously with DRK I'm using TBN on cooldown in that as well. If the fight goes longer I'll pop another group and that usually sees me through. I'll also usually save abyssal drain in case I'm in a bind.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

S.J. posted:

Just as a heads up there are diminishing returns on using multiple mitigation abilities at the same time. You're usually better off just staggering them so you have one active at a time.

Arms Length goes very well with reprisal, though.

That being said since TBN isn't actually mitigation its great to stack it with mitigation in big pulls to get a little more out of the shield since mobs will break it anyways.

So... The 30% mitigation doesn't pair with making enemies do 10% less damage? I paired these abilities because their effects weren't the same and I thought I didn't have to worry about the stacking penalty.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Alxprit posted:

I guess it's not intuitive that something that makes you take less damage and something that makes enemies deal less damage occupy the same level of "mitigation".

It's this. But the math makes perfect sense and Xerophytes explanation is pretty great.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Just did a run of the Great Gubal Library with two sprouts in the leveling roulette. They struggled with the mechanics, but we got through it after I explained how everything worked. Our BLM rage quit after a wipe on the last boss. We eventually got through it though and I was feeling super good about teaching the new guys the mechanics and getting through it in spite of 3-4 wipes.

Not a single commend. :(

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

I was 90% sarcastic. When I hit the exit portal I was like "boy at least 2 easy commends in the bag". But if I'm being honest, I gave my comm to the healer (I was the tank) for being incredibly :shobon: and I would just as soon assume that they comm'd each other.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

Hit 50 on my warrior and I was met with a message essentially saying "If you want more abilities, you need to buy the expansions". Sooooo yeah. Is it worth continue leveling at this point or should I start to level my alt classes?

There's quite a large chunk of story between hitting level 50 and ending the ARR MSQ and the start of Heavensward. Just FYI. Those quests don't give a ton of exp, so you're going to be at 50ish for a while until you hit HW proper. Also IIRC you're going to be forced to do the crystal tower if you haven't done so already.

I sort of feel for you because the post ARR/pre-HW stuff was my absolute least favorite content when I went from 1-90 over the last 6 months.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

euphronius posted:

Does this get better soon ?

Soon is a relative term. You're in the doldrums right now, but after you slog through it and blitz the MSQ you'll be out of them and it'll be clear sailing from then on.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Also, personal experience, tanking at those low levels is tough for someone whose only previous experience of tanking is watching people to wall to walls of post ARR dengeons, which doesn’t really translate to the satasha’s of the game. It’s easy to overpull, and also be overconfident of the heals because you don’t understand how healing works.

Basically don’t sweat it.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Tekopo posted:

In other words, play Black Mage, it's an extremely fun job, and the leveling experience is pretty good now compared to pre-EW!

Black mage best mage.

When I fired up the game for the first time I, without having any idea what any of the words on the screen really meant gameplay wise, thought conjurer would be a good class because I thought I would be summoning monsters and stuff. I only a little later discovered it was a healer class and swapped to THM when I could and then stuck with THM/BLM for the next 6 months.

It's very fun and the basics of the class are easy to pick up. You'll understand very quickly why BLMs greed cast fight mechanics so often.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

BLM has glowy orbs that float around you. Clearly the best class.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

You should note that there are several levels of them and you can basically get the initial phase for free if you like the look of it. The grind comes after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

re; tank chat - when I picked up tanking in this game after having been a dps, if I noticed a dps pulling extra mobs all it did was convince me to move faster and pull more. Hey I mean, this guys thinks we can handle it let's goooo.

Learning to tank was indeed a very chill experience and 99.9% of people were incredibly understanding of wipes. I'd sometimes get into a "Sorry! No, I'M sorry!" argument with healers over whose fault it was. It was very fun.