Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
When I am in a non-rested area I always get a 'could not apply glamours here' message when I switch to a different glamour plate.

But the glamour seems to apply just fine from what I can see so...what's the error about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Okay I see, thanks. Another two random questions:

1) is there really no way to bind chat log position to hud template?

2) why do some dungeons scale your ilvl while others do not? for example Hullbreaker isle or Stone Vigil (hard) do but Sastasha(hard) does not.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
You know how this thread always warns people about the post ARR slog?

You ought to be warning them about Stormblood instead.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Ibblebibble posted:

I genuinely think that Stormblood was better than Heavensward, storywise.

The expansion was boring as hell and nothing surprising or unexpected happened. I really hope it was all an elaborate setup for great stuff to come. The post-patches have already been a marked improvement so far...altough nobody ever stays truly dead in this story, do they? At this point I am 100% convinced Papalymo is just chilling on a island somewhere...

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Yeah I am (nearly) entirely unspoiled about the whole game. The only two things I know are that in Shadowbringers there is a Nier: Automata inspired raid which I am VERY much looking foward to and that in Endwalker you apparently end up going to the Moon :stare:

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Well, from what I've seen of Shadowbringers so far, it seems the devs are big fans of FF13-3 and Bayonetta :v:

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
If you queue for a specific dungeon/raid, do you get matched with people who are queuing for roulette? Cause it's EU prime time now and I've been waiting for over 30 minutes as a tank which doesn't seem right....

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Which are you queued for?

The Puppet's Bunker, the second Nier: Automata raid.

Xerophyte posted:

- If it's an alliance raid then tank queues are sometimes quite long. Tanks are 1/8th of an alliance raid, instead of the 1/4th they are everywhere else.

I suppose this must be why then :(

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Xerophyte posted:

There are a couple of other things that can contribute. As mentioned there is a bias in the roulette to the lower level raids: partly because of people intentionally tanking their ilvl before queueing, mostly because if you take 20 random people from the front of the roulette queue and try to find a viable raid then the odds are pretty high that at least one of them will be queued on a job <L60 which then forces Crystal Tower for everyone.

Ah, I never thought of that but yeah, that makes perfect sense.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Alliance raids also have the problem that a lot of players either don’t unlock the optional ones, or will take gear off to make sure they can’t queue into the latter ones.

:stare: Never thought of that either. Reminds me of WoW at one time when it would count gear in your bags for ilvl, even for different roles but...inverted :v:

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

radintorov posted:

Here is something important to remember about the QTE sections: first off, since they are not all that common, the game does the nice thing of providing ample warning that they are coming with a big on-screen warning, and you should honestly start hitting buttons as soon as you see it.
The second, more important thing is that (as far as I can tell) there is No cap to the inputs: each button/key you hit counts, so even the QTEs that are designed to look like you are barely holding on can be kept near full by just hitting more keys; so if you find yourself struggling with some of them and keep ending up dead after a phase transition, just pretend you are a b-movie hacker and hit all of the keys on your keyboard at random as fast as you can and you will never have to worry about a QTE

But in the end you are still defending QTEs in a game made after 2010.

(I was not sure whether to laugh or cry when I first encountered them)

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Bruceski posted:

If I remember right the official response after that was "we've got an item that's tied to [then 400] different pieces of equipment that a player actively cares about. Do you want to risk something worse going wrong? I don't."

GilliamYaeger posted:

Yeah Glamour Dressers are infamously not housing items because when they tried to implement it they actually managed to crash the entire test server they were using by IIRC removing it while someone was using it.

I suppose if they tried to implement the ability to queue in duty finder as multiple jobs the servers would probably outright explode then.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
They really ran out of ideas for red mage at level 50 huh? Not that I am complaining, most of the jobs in the game are so insanely bloated something like red mage or summoner are really welcome but it is kinda funny how it doesn't gain anything substantial for nearly 40 levels.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

quiggy posted:

Check your HUD settings too, it's possible the job gauge is set to hidden for some reason.

For better or worse, job gauges can't actually be hidden.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Jonny 290 posted:

Finished the 5.x quests. Time to walk the end.

(think im gonna give myself a day or two and run through the niers and otherwise gently caress around a bit)

Absolutely do that. The Nier raids are amazing (even though I have no loving clue what the story was about and yes I read all the dialogue and watched the cutscenes. I still don't.)

They are only beaten by the Endwalker alliance raids which are even better.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

GilliamYaeger posted:

The grind is also soul-destroying. If you want a glowy weapon, either go buy one off the Marketboard or beat Heavensward so you can do the level 60 relics (which are much better, but one step wants you to have a crafter levelled...which is easy enough with the Ishgard Restoration).

You don't need to be a crafter yourself for that step, the materials can be bough either on trading post or with company seals.

If you want a glowy weapon then the second stage of the Shadowbringers relic is also an option but the 60 memories you are asked to grind is way worse than HW relics.

I suppose ther is also Stormblood/Eureka but I have no clue how that even works, I have never even been there.

Also, re: ARR relics: if you unlock the base one on all classes, you get a title!

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
How long on average would it take to get the first shiny stage of the Eureka relic weapon starting from scratch?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

That Little Demon posted:

They’ve really thought of everything….

Not funerals.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Do they ever do any XP events? Perhaps for the upcoming anniversary? My Road to 80 just ran out and still have a bunch of classes I'd like to level.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
What does 'bring macros and markers mean'?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Is there any setting anywhere that makes player overhead HP bars not get obscured by NPCs? This is probably the dumbest UI design decision ever and makes then completely useless when tanking since I can't see mine half the time.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I was in your situation about 3 months ago and yes, the base game story is utter garbage and yes, it does get much better later on. Heavensward especially was a legit good story. Shadowbringers I thought was a bit overrated but the premise was definitely intriguing, Stormblood was boring and at times nearly ARR level of insufferable mainly the part with the NOBLE WARRIORS OF STEPPES, ugh and Endwalker tried it's best to tie up every loose end and provide a somewhat coherent ending and, baring one asspull of a concept dynamis, mostly succeeded.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Music was nice and I like that you can get the music to play at your house.

Oh and this is also something that only gets better with every expansion. Not that the base game soundtrack is bad but compared to what comes after...

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
What do I do with the uncapped tomestones? 620 gear is useless when Aetherfont drops 625 and the 630 upgrades require a run of both 24mans per piece. Relics I guess?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

its cool when the developers of the game know their own premise of quests is bullshit

From what I recall this sort of lampshade hanging happens about four or five more times in the MSQ alone.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
They really should make cross-datacenter play possible.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Mister Olympus posted:

Yeah but when I hear “cross dc play” i think of “all regional dcs merged so that you can queue in aether and get matched with people in crystal”

Which is basically what would fix the current issue with how dc travel works

It's pretty wild this is not a thing a decade in. I understand cross-region play is challenging to make work but this?

(although, didn't they talk about how cross-region is totally possible at the fan fest? Odd they'd be working on that before even linking all the regional datacenters into a single pool...)

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Not sure if spoiler or not but every subsequent raid will also have 12 sections.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

girl dick energy posted:

One of my friends reminded me the other day that I'm gonna need to make SO MUCH room in my glamour dresser for all the cool new gear that's gonna drop in Dawntrail and I'm already dreading it.

Certainly they will have to increase the limit? I am at nearly 700 myself with nothing but alliance raid and job armor....

Veotax posted:

If you brought anything from the cash shop, then all of that is going to be able to be put in armoire in 6.5 (or 7.0, I forget which). So that can free up some dresser slots.

I've always wondered - why can you put the level 50 job armor into it but not any of the subsequent ones? What's the difference?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
How do you even unlock the mentor roulette? It's not mentioned anywhere in the UI as far as I can see.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Well, how do you become a mentor then? Again, not mentioned anywhere :v: Is it supposed to be like a hidden feature or something?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Ah. Well, turns out I already qualify. I hear they have somewhat of a bad rep though?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Pryce posted:

If you talk to The Smith (the NPC with the giant sprout over their head), they'll show you a window with a checklist and how close you are to qualifying. You can find them throughout the ARR zones (but most likely in the starting cities' Adventurers' Guilds).

When I last talked to that NPC (granted, that was about 300 hours ago) there wasn't any such option. Just the solo learning instances. I don't remember anything directing me to go and talk to him again either. That's why I wondered why it was seemingly a semi-hidden feature.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Xerophyte posted:

6.5 ilvl stuff

Thanks, that was quite helpful. Any guess as to what ilvl is the new dungeon going to drop? Is it going to be 635?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Yeah the ability to queue macros feels a bit like cheating which the launcher authors said they wouldn't allow in plugins but hey I'll keep (ab)using it as long as it's there.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
The only downside to Orchestrion is that after a while, as you learn the song titles, it spoils early what you got in a roulette.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I play exclusively on controller and I only use hold (and extended bars) on healers. On dps and tanks I use mixed (to still have access to RT+LT bar) since gently caress holding down RT all the time. The downside is, it does require the combo and queable macro addons on all jobs except for summoner.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
It absolutely is Reaper, yeah.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

FuturePastNow posted:

The only circumstance where I wouldn't make a new account after 10 years away is if you'd get the cool legacy tattoo

I returned after 10 years too but I didn't make a new account, just a new character. Did I miss out on anything?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'd thought that GW2 had a decent controller setup with its action cam and player made control maps in steam, but FFXIV has been leaps and bounds better just by virtue of not having to use mouse emulation for selecting in windows or managing items.

That's because even though FF14's tab target combat is utterly unsuitable to controllers, the game was nevertheless designed with them in mind and they made sure it works, while GW2 is the complete opposite - action combat well suited to a controller - but never designed around supporting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I am not a huge Hildibrand fan either as it's not quite my preffered brand of humor but

Relyssa posted:

Nashu is the best character in the entire game and I will die on this hill

This 1000%