Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

That's wild, thank you for the heads up! I have not touched the auction house, is it easy to use?

I've never found it particularly difficult, and I'm not a heavy market player.

Note that if you want to sell stuff on the market, you have to have a retainer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, I like watching the ending cutscene in dungeons -- especially since it gives me a chance to appreciate folks' glams without having to run along and focus on monsters and mechanics.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Well, I finally started Endwalker and lost my sprout.

I enjoyed Shadowbringers quite a bit, especially spending the back half of the game anticipating finally getting to punch Emet-Selch in the face and then doing it. The environments were great, the new characters were fun, the story was outstanding, and I enjoyed the opportunity to run dungeons solo with the Scions.

Things haven't improved much on the villain front though. Zenos hasn't gotten any more interesting in one and a half expansions, but at least he's not wearing that hideous armor anymore. And Fandaniel isn't impressing me either -- Asahi was more interesting by himself than serving as a vessel for a poncy Joker wannabe.

Also, I am so. very. tired. of cutscenes that are just the various Scions standing around discussing where they're going to go next.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

And for my part, I pretty much let materia pile up in my inventory and have my retainers sell them when they start taking up too much space.

Regarding relic weapons, most of them are just too gaudy for my taste, which is probably good since it spares me the temptation of going after them. Although I did grind all the way to Canopus Lux for my Astrologian, and I'm never doing that again. Probably.

It's worth noting that if you just want a cool glowy weapon, there are many models that can be crafted using the Master Crafting books, or bought on the market for not too much money, without having to go through the relic grind. I just got a neat staff with lightning effects for my Black Mage for only 40,000 gil on the market.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

Some of the Squadron dungeons (particularly the Hard mode versions with actual mechanics) are basically unplayable if you're in certain roles, because you have to handle all the mechanics yourself, potentially while also juggling their engage/disengage mechanics for targeting certain things. It's probably fine if you're in a DPS role, but sometimes doing them on tank or healer is awful.

It's left a bad taste in my mouth, so at this point I don't even care if they can do things a bit faster if you grind them up to have their max offense passives.

Yeah, the final battle in Brayflox (Hard) when you have three teammates who won't try to push the bombs away is ... challenging.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

The important thing about that boss is that the Zu doesn't care about the hatchlings, just the eggs, and it's pretty manageable to just kill the hatchlings as they show up, so just let the eggs hatch and deal with the adds as they come. The real issue is errant AOE, especially on classes like DNC where it's core to the rotation. Having a DNC on that boss sounds like the nightmare scenario, really.

For the adds, the pullets, which hatch from white eggs, can be herded by the tank and are usually just a minor annoyance. The cockerels, which hatch from spotted eggs, tether themselves to a target (which almost always seems to be the healer) and start doing big damage pulses to them, and so need to die quickly. They can't be pulled off by the tank, but I believe you can get them to switch targets by running through their tether.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I'm currently playing through the Elpis section of Endwalker and I'm already thoroughly sick of "go here, look at/watch this thing, go there, watch this guy agonize over whether to take a job" quests.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

FuturePastNow posted:

After a month straight of Dun Scaiths, I didn't see a single wipe. Deathgaze was only killing 2-3 people in most runs and sometimes not even that many. Diabolos on the other hand still turns into chaos when people put the gaze stacks in bad places, run a ball into the crowd, or run into the red orbs

Plus the non-tanks who think they're helping when they run into the center meteor circle. (Only tanks can catch that one, everyone else who tries it dies instantly.)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Any advice to someone who's brand new to Bozja? I headed over there because I eventually want to get one of the Resistance weapons 'cause it looks cool. Is there anything I should do other than run around and bash enemies until the good stuff drops?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Arist posted:

Oh, they're all terrible. Hancock is legitimately the least trash person to show up (which, lmao), and iirc they might have cut him out of that questline when they made Ridorana less of a pain to unlock?

e: Mikoto's fine too I guess

Oh, speaking of slogs. Unlocking Orbonne was actively painful dragging myself through cutscene after cutscene featuring characters I barely remembered or understood, when I just wanted to go to some ruins and punch critters.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

radintorov posted:

Something I've been doing and I highly recommend getting in the habit of when playing healer is setting either the NPC in the solo instance or your Tank in a dungeon as Focus Target: it will provide a separate and larger healthbar that can also be clicked on to instantly target them. It also adds a targeting arrow over the focused target so it's easier to keep track of where exactly the tank is when the screen is filled with mobs during a wall-to-wall pull.

If you're playing with a keyboard, you can also bind a key to instantly switch to your focus target, which I find quite useful when playing healer.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I was disappointed after I crafted the Adventure Basket minion only to find that it was immobile. Is it too much to ask for a picnic basket that follows me around?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mainwaring posted:

There's a bunch of lore relevant restrictions which the player happens to be able to ignore. I think a lot of people simply can't teleport for example.

I thought it was established somewhere that ordinary people can't use aetherytes because they don't have enough aether or whatever.

Anyway, I've been doing a lot of roulettes to level up lately and there are way too many tanks out there who don't use their cooldowns at all or appear to think they're only to be used as emergency buttons.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Poppers posted:

Anyone play on a new Mac? I don't really want to get a PC to play but my home computer is due for an upgrade at some point.

Only new-ish, but I play on a 2021 Mac mini with Ventura (haven't upgraded to Sonoma yet) and it works just fine. You'll want to look for XIV on Mac, which I've found more stable and easier to use than the official Mac client.

Also, (StB and EW spoilers related to the discussion in the last few posts) my main objection to Zenos is not that he's stronger than the WoL, but that he's so goddamn boring as an antagonist. He's got no personality beyond "me strong, fight me WoL." My favorite Zenos scene is the one in EW where Jullus calls him out for being completely useless as Emperor and Zenos just stares at him like a golden retriever being scolded.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

Watch the tank's buff bar if you can, and if they're not using at least 2, maybe 3 cooldowns for a multi-pull, get on their rear end about it. They can contribute as much as you can. Mitigation kits are largely complete by level 70 regardless of job.

Just going to echo this one. I see a lot of tanks who seem to think that Rampart and Vengeance/Sentinel/Shadow Wall/Nebula are stuff they should save for emergencies instead of routinely using, and it does make the healer's job a lot harder if the tank isn't using their mitigations properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Kongming posted:

I definitely have memories of people complaining sometimes when the "A player is new to this duty" message appeared with the tomestone bonus. People called it the "noob bonus" or something. This was also a long time ago, maybe even pre-Heavensward, so I don't know if anyone like that still plays this game.

Last night in a run of The Tower at Paradigm's Breach, there were a couple of vocal sorts bitching about how long it was taking because some new folks were struggling with the mechanics, and they rushed ahead to start the final boss without waiting for the cutscene watchers. But fortunately people like that are pretty rare.

Anyway, on tank topics, watching the cast bar can also be useful since it'll show you which enemy casts can be stopped by stun or interrupt abilities (flashing cast bar = can be interrupted). While it doesn't often make a major difference, knowing when and how to use stuns can be very handy on some bosses, e.g. Hermes in Ktisis Hyperboreia.