Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Are any of the tribal factions particularly worth levelling? I only looked at the Sylph vendor so far, but seems like it's just crafting mats?

There's a small glamour item for completing all the ARR ones, and an emote for completing all of HW or SB. Stormblood tribal quests are where they also become a good source of additional daily EXP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Plus a lot of people don't actually understand the nuances of most mechanics, they just understand the resolution. This is doubly true for a lot of dungeon stuff where there's a lot of weird one-off quirks that don't really matter.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I timed a lot of my Shadowbringer dungeon times to see what it was like with trusts and they were in the range of 24-27 minutes per run. I did it with all three roles and even forced big pulls to see if the trusts could handle it (they could, but it got really dicey with some tanks). The level 77 dungeon in particular was shorter than the other dungeons. I haven't done much trust leveling in EW though, so I'm not sure if it's changed much but I can't imagine it has.

With a real party for those same dungeons, it was around 18-20 minutes for what I would consider "normal" runs. However, there's always the risk of getting a run with an absolutely horrible player which extends the run time to around half an hour. From an exp/time perspective, the queue times for dungeons is buoyed by the fact that you could be doing daily hunts requests, beast tribe dailies, or any other number of things that you'd want to be doing anyway (island sanctuary too). However, the biggest advantage to the above is that if you run a dungeon with NPC support or Trusts, all the loot is yours. Even though the loot is cut in half, the rare orchestrion rolls or minions can still drop from the final chest which is more than worth the extended run time of the dungeon IMO if you're farming for something like that.

As an extra note, expert roulette dungeons clock in at around 15 minutes.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
One example of they turn buttons into fancier buttons but in differing ways is how they handled removing Largesse and Rouse on healers. They just baked the healing potency buff into other temporary buffs on the jobs, but with some additional job specific flavor. Temperance and Neutral Sect for WHM/AST basically replaced Largesse in ShB and had some extra stuff too.

Rouse used to be a pet buff, but that was essentially replaced with Summon Seraph. Mechanically they work a little bit differently, but functionally it's still the same idea (temporary buff to pet).

But besides that, there's also a whole slew of buttons that most people probably don't really miss except for maybe some of the nifty animations on them. The execute abilities (Misery's End, Mercy Stroke, Ageha) are one set for example.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Roluth posted:

MNK optimizers are just special in that way.

Insert cursed FPS lock optimization strats here. For those unaware, there's some really crazy stuff where your FPS affects how quickly you can press your GCDs without drifting fractions of a second which leads to extremely cursed optimization strategies that involve locking FPS.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
One of the boss's attacks leaves behind an ice puddle that ticks for a reasonable amount and tends to blend into the background so it's not uncommon to see people not move out of them until they've taken a ton of damage. IIRC, one of the puddles spawns with the tankbuster so if the tank doesn't move, they're going to eat a lot of damage.

And depending on how awake the party is, there's a good chance multiple people are going to be hit by the asterisk aoe and get frozen too.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Blue Mage can solo Lakshmi Extreme synched. Pretty sure no other class can even come close to soloing an extreme trial synched.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Mister Olympus posted:

warrior was able to solo ravana on-level when the cap was 60 because of the uniquely large gear gap between start and end of HW compared to future expansion item level pacing. no idea if it's still possible with everything shuffled around

Do you have a video link to this? I can find a 1 Warrior/7 Scholar video and an 8 Warrior video on YouTube, but nothing for solo Warrior. I can't imagine Warrior being able to survive the sword dives in the second phase solo with Holmgang's 6 second duration even at max ilvl compared to the beginning of the expansion.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Some do have AoE baked into their rotations, but when testing was done back in ShB, it all seemed to split damage evenly among targets so there was no net potency gain.

Y'shtola does it the most often, a lot of her spells are AoE but since the damage will get split among all targets hit so it only makes things goes faster in the sense that you get to make full use of your AoE abilities for longer.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I think the weird "this XXX does not share a recast time with any other XXX" language is a relic of Empyreal Arrow from Bard when it was first introduced in Heavensward where it was a Weaponskill but acted like an Ability in terms of GCD/oGCD. There might have been some MCH skills back then too with the same language, but I didn't play MCH back then.

What this meant was that you could press Empyreal Arrow like an oGCD in between your other weaponskills so it was basically an ability but Wanderer's Minuet made it have a cast bar like the rest of your GCDs so it was this weird mix of the two. Stormblood removed the cast bar from Minuet so it was basically an ability then even though it was classified as a weaponskill so there probably were small individual edge cases where that exact distinction mattered as well. This language got repurposed when they introduced weaponskills that were actually on the GCD that had longer independent CDs as well.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Mouseover the job stones for an interesting difference in description as well.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
ARR dungeon big pulls sometimes even have sack strats if there's no wall between the mobs and the boss room. The tank grabs every mob on the way to the boss, no one presses any buttons except for sprint, and then you let the tank die in the boss room. All the mobs leash and return, healer presses rez and you've skipped all the mobs. Usually only sees use during repeated moogle tomestone farms when the party isn't doing blue mage stuff.

An alternative version is grabbing packs and killing them in such a way that only one or two stragglers remain before the boss room, engaging the boss, then letting the 15 second wall timer expire with the tank sitting on the edge so the straggling mobs get locked out. Brayflox hard did this due to how some mobs dropped keys, but I don't think boss lockout was used much elsewhere.

Thankfully, neither of these have become the norm for standard dungeon runs because they are a lot more unintuitive than wall to wall.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Stone Vigil had a reputation in ARR in being the 2nd of the two tank damage spikes (the first being Brayflox normal). Not sure if that's still true after all the stat changes, revamps, and potency changes, but I don't think it's unusual to have that happen in Stone Vigil when attempting to double pull and not having the exact mob layout memorized.

There's even a room in that dungeon that people skipped even when mobs gave EXP to give you an idea of how much people were unwilling to deal with the mob damage in that dungeon.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
If you're a DPS and accidentally (or purposefully) grab aggro while running, don't forget that physical DPS have Arm's Length too so you can even contribute to mitigation after the tank takes it back.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Raenir Salazar posted:

Blue Mage is weirdly fun. I wish it was less limited and could do Duties.

When the FFXV crossover event was going on, you could do the instance against Garuda as a Blue Mage. That was fun.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
There's an old video back from the HW days that had a party do a dungeon and literally time the amount of time a healer had just sitting AFK and doing absolutely nothing during fights. It was something like 73% of the time spent in combat the healer could just press no buttons and dodge AoEs and the party wouldn't need healing. Not to mention the actual time that could be saved if the healer actually pressed DPS buttons instead of standing doing nothing.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
One neat thing about the weddings, you can trade the bond rings for in-game gil so its one of the few sanctioned ways to turn real life money into gil. Don't see it very often nowadays but there was a lot of gil being traded around when it released.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Qwertycoatl posted:

I don't think you can any more?

How much gil did you get? Normal vendor prices make it sound like it would be an extremely not worth it method of getting gil (also you get a ring even on the free tier so I don't know why you'd pay real money if you were doing this a gil-making scheme)

I meant trading the higher tier bands to other players for gil, not through like an in-game vendor or something. I didn't buy the ring with money, I was the one buying it with gil. I think it cost me like 20 million gil for the platinum ring?

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Blue Mage can one shot all the ARR bosses at level 80 now, so that's the easiest way to unsync most of ARR. The spells needed aren't too hard to get either, nothing that requires doing synched extreme trials.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
It used to back when Inner Beast/Steel Cyclone vamped and Bloodbath was a MRD skill (and Mercy Stroke existed).

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
SCH and SGE "shield" heal is more Sacred Soil and Kerachole than Adloquium and Eukrasian Diagnosis. The yellow HP shields you get from Adlo/Succor/Eukrasian Diagnosis/Prognosis are all supplanted by a wide variety of other oGCDs and the fact that Soil and Kerachole 10% mit+regen is so strong.

WHM and AST probably have more uptime on yellow HP on single targets than SCH/SGE because of Benison and Intersection.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
If you're not doing savage, no one cares enough about maintaining buff windows consistently enough to worry about fitting your GCDs into those windows. You'll get a little bit in extreme trials but that's still pretty hit or miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The very first trial for Hildibrand had the budget for voice acting which is a shame that none of the others got it.