Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
This was brought up in the steam thread so I decided to take on the challenge and provide updates here. I will be on the free trial trying to advance the story as much as I can while interacting with no other player i.e. relying soley on duty support. I just finished the third dungeon, and so far so good. Though it was not clear that the NPCs would not go into elevators with you; you have to take the lift down or up, and after getting of the lift, they teleport to you. Also, seems like the second and third dungeon has some simplified mechanics to make up for the NPCs probably unable to handle the slightly more complex mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

sassassin posted:

The Hall of Novices might as well be ignored, the gear is obselete by the time you even get to a dungeon these days, and the xp ring is worth similarly little. The lessons themselves aren't very good either.

I have to qualify what you said on the Hall of Novices in terms of gear. Having started from scratch recently, the gear holds up for the first few initial dungeons, and the ring is still worth the exp boost under level 30.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Alxprit posted:

Technical Help for Newbies

This post is for advice for newbies regarding technical matters.

Some allusion to the targeting settings should be included. I don't think the default targeting is the most intuitive to new players who come from the modern video game era where autotarget is usually on point.

As an aside, I have some optional, preferential sound settings:
pre:
System Configuration >  Sound Settings > Toggle off "Play music when mounted"
I prefer the area music instead of the mount music.
pre:
System Configuration >  Other Settings > Language Settings > Cutscene Audio
It is counterintuitive that setting is under "Other Settings" instead of "Sound Settings" but you have a selection of "English", "Japanese", "German", and "French" cutscene audio. (The written text is still only a localization available to your client rather than a straight translation in case you are multilingual and/or this bothers you.)

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Alxprit posted:

On controller or keyboard?

Both

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

sassassin posted:

The tank is the hero of the story. Other roles aren't appropriate for Warriors of Light.

The Heavensward Trailer seems to say otherwise

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Mainwaring posted:

The game doesn't make this clear but unlocking your job upgrade (like warrior) is also locked behind msq progression. The msq quest that you need to complete to unlock jobs is a lvl 22 quest but because of newbie experience boosts a lot of people hit 30 before completing it.

The quest in question (very minor msq spoilers) is called Sylph management and occurs shortly after you join a grand company

I tested this out last week. It's actually the quest before that one, or at the very least, you can unlock the job while having that quest in progression.

Flair fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 29, 2022

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I just made it to the Stone Vigil on my singleplayer only run. I do find it strange that the NPCs in duty support forgo the job upgrade and soul crystal. They stay as Marauder, Lancer, Thaumaturge, and Conjurer. (Also, they don't let you double up on a job even if it is DPS i.e. if I am a Lancer or Dragoon, I cannot bring the NPC lancer.)

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I manage to defeat Ultima with duty support. I died once because I was conditioned for the NPCs to generally follow the mechanics of the fight, but when the marker was placed on me to be stacked on, the NPCs got stuck on the boss's body, unable to path to me. Nonetheless, the NPCs generally seem okay.

But now I am stuck on Thornmarch (Hard). There is no duty support for it, and thus it seems my singleplayer run has met its end.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Ice Fist posted:

By singleplayer run do you mean playing through without using duty finder?

By singleplayer, I mean on a free trial, not talking to anyone or forming parties with any human player.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

hopeandjoy posted:

I mean that’s what Duty Finder is for. You can’t make a premade party on the Free Trial, but you can still hop into Duty Finder for the required 8 man trials and 24 man Alliance Raids.

But that would be against the "singleplayer" aspect of the run.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Alxprit posted:

Then have fun waiting for like 3 years at least for them to add duty-support to 8-person fights.

Yeah, I will reappear in this or similar thread in 3 years then

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Ice Fist posted:

Is it just because you don't want to deal with other people in dungeons/raids? I'm not judging I'm just curious. Is it a challenge run?

Flair posted:

This was brought up in the steam thread so I decided to take on the challenge and provide updates here. I will be on the free trial trying to advance the story as much as I can while interacting with no other player i.e. relying soley on duty support. I just finished the third dungeon, and so far so good. Though it was not clear that the NPCs would not go into elevators with you; you have to take the lift down or up, and after getting of the lift, they teleport to you. Also, seems like the second and third dungeon has some simplified mechanics to make up for the NPCs probably unable to handle the slightly more complex mechanics.

It started in the steam thread. To skip over the context, someone there said that FFXIV only had one expansion left that was not soloable and that 1-60 was soloable. That's right in line with the free trial, and I decided to see how much was that true.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

cheetah7071 posted:

they were exaggerating on multiple counts

as you discovered, 8- and 24-person content is not soloable and isn't even on the roadmap

the 4-person content has a roadmap to all be soloable by the time the next expansion drops, but is currently only up to level 57

That's part of the point of doing this -- to validate or invalidate the exaggeration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

cheetah7071 posted:

you could have saved a lot of effort by just asking but at least you (presumably) had fun in the process

It was alright. I decided to go with the Japanese cutscene audio to change it up; it was decent, though there is one scene at the end where the music was louder than the voice actor. (And this is with the default sound settings.)

Veotax posted:

Yeah, there are both 8-man Trials and 24-man raids that are required for the MSQ.

The MSQ will likely never be fully singleplayer, but the vast majority of it can. Eventually all 4-man dungeons required by the MSQ will be, patch 6.3 (December/January) will likely cover all MSQ dungeons up to Stormblood.

I think it is possible. Of course, it is a matter of putting the resources for making NPC companions to handle all the mechanics. Even the early 4-man dungeons were redesigned and simplified in such that the current NPC capability could handle it. Based on my experience, seems like the NPCs can handle focusing down on something or getting out of danger puddles, but they are not smart enough to coordinate or handle multiple targeted mechanics. For instance, there are some early dungeon that used to have multiple lamps/cannons to toggle; now those bosses just do evil eye and more danger puddles respectively.