Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Qwertycoatl posted:

If you craft La Hee at 100% quality you get the Otamatone version

I have this mod permanently active https://www.xivmodarchive.com/modid/35096

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

SuperKlaus posted:

The samurai stuff from those raids is fully sick in the abstract but I just couldn't tolerate the clipping on the big shoulders on the chest for DRK. Maybe I'll go back to it...it's so cool to be more samurai than SAM.

I want the Anemos versions of some job 70 gear, because those are the dyable versions. Can I get those with a quick trip in Eureka or am I in for a long haul? Never even unlocked Eureka.

Just the Anemos stuff isn't too bad. It's still a grind, for a full set you need 3000 Protean crystals and 750 Anemos crystals. Those come from regular enemies and fates respectively, and you'll have to grind up elemental level. But you don't have to mess around with the other areas of Eureka and you don't need to push the relic weapon like you do for Elemental armor.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Max Wilco posted:

Maybe continuing with the MSQ and getting into Heavensward will open doors to make things easier, but there's so many things that I have no clue about, like scrip exchange,

Collectables/Scrip exchange don't get unlocked until you're in Heavensward in an extremely early quest, so you won't even be able to do that until then. From here out there's a main city for each expansion and a endgame city, and each endgame city has a scrip exchange vendor to unlock.

The basic thing there is there are Collectibles you can gather or craft, FSH ones are random but BTN/MIN have a bit of a minigame to get quality up and the crafting classes depend on the HQ bar when crafting them. There are generic turn-ins always available at the Collectable Appraisers, and later on some Custom Delivery NPCs that want certain specific things each week that are usually trivial to craft. You get a certain amount of white scrip that depends on just how high the HQ/collectable meter goes, there's 3 tiers and below that they're worthless.

At max level, custom deliveries and the max-level collectables give purple scrip which is useful for some endgame stuff.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

girl dick energy posted:

My suspicion would be that the easiest DPS to play on controller would be the ones that can move freely without needing to worry about positionals or interrupting casts, since you can’t use your thumbs to hit both the left stick and the left buttons at the same time.

That’s just a suspicion, though, because I didn’t vibe with ARC/BRD, haven’t gotten around to leveling MCH, and still haven’t even unlocked DNC.

At least on asymmetric layouts (xbox-style) I learned how to stretch my right hand to hit the d-pad when I'm moving. hosed me up for a bit when I started using my Steam Deck since it's not exactly practical to stretch a thumb across the screen.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Bruceski posted:

IF it's Leap of Faith it's Sylphstep. It can also be Slice is Right or Air Force One.

they gotta take out an air force one at 00 or 40, it shows up too dang much. give us another any way the wind blows.

i am never getting that achievement for completing x number of awwb

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

I've been right the way through the to the end of the MSQ and never touched the raid stuff beyond the mandatory one because I just always figured it would be too stressful/hard/not for me but reading through this thread you've convinced me they're not actually that at all (well, not including Savage, etc) so I'm gonna get them done if for nothing else to see how punchable Ramza is

I remember a few years back hearing about a series of raids in FFXIV that were a love letter to FFVIII, which has always been one of my favorites. I thought wistfully about it because I figured I'd never make it there before it's obsolete content and I'd have to convince a bunch of friends to play to get there.

Few years later we picked the game up and it turns out FFXIV is not designed like that at all! Normal raids are always able to be run, the whole story's there, everything like that is tuned to be completed within one instance timer by a group of random people who don't know each other and haven't seen it before. It's a breath of fresh air that very little of the content is obsolete and not done any more.

Anyway all the normal raid storylines are good and you should do them. Plus, 4 out of the 5 alliance raid storylines are good and the one that isn't at least has fun fights. But always skip Ivalice cutscenes, always.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

I macro Mount Roulette, Sprint, and Peloton at once and stick it on R3. Sprint doesn't queue and the other two don't work in combat so it's fine.

e: the only other macros i use in combat are shirk <2> and holmgang <me> for tanking and warrioring

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

I did a stormblood A-rank solo at 90 once, which was enough for me to decide I never want to do one without a group again. Even though it was only somewhat a threat, the amount of HP just takes so long to blow through.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

In my experience hunt trains are only run for one server at a time.

There's probably a hunt linkshell you'd need an invite to in-game on your server, perhaps a datacenter-wide one. I'm in a hunt discord but I only have it for S-rank pops. The linkshell I'm in has people calling out their own trains, and a guy who notifies us about trains on other servers.

Anyway the hunt requires a certain amount of rank with your grand company to unlock, and then there are marks you can hunt. They're divided into unranked, B, A, S, and kind-of-SS.

Unranked hunts are there mostly for XP, normal overworld enemies give you some and a couple seals or nutsacks when you defeat 1-3 of them.
B-rank hunts are weekly targets and can spawn in a large number of locations. When you defeat one it'll respawn 5 seconds later at a different random location in the same zone.
A-ranks are what the hunt trains are for, they spawn on a timer and give a good amount of seals/nutsacks and some tomestones.

S-ranks have long spawn timers and also random spawn requirements, like traveling across a zone in a rented chocobo or mining a specific thing or bringing a lot of a specific minion to the spawn point, or often just killing a lot of a certain kind of enemy. They have to be intentionally spawned and it is rude to start attacking one before everyone shows up for it.

SS-ranks aren't a "real" rank but in the last two expansions, defeating an S-rank has a chance at starting the SS-spawn process. They're worth a shitload of nutsacks.

e: the unranked and B-rank hunts get picked up at the relevant expansion's hunt board, there aren't any ingame marks for A or S ranks that I know of, other than the S-rank "You sense the presence of a powerful mark." chat notification if you're in a zone when it spawns, or enter a zone where one has spawned.

parasyte fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 16, 2023

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

BurningBeard posted:

I think I’ll be able to solve almost all of my interface quibbles, but I have one huge complaint, and I wonder if there’s a solution I haven’t found yet.

I hate the loving map. Every developer that thinks it’s immersive to have sepia toned maps needs, at the least, to offer an alternative color scheme. It’s so loving hard for me to read it because everything blends. I despise it. All I want is a black background with white outlining, maybe grayscale shading for elevation? But as far as I can tell, there’s no alternative map view. Maybe I’m overlooking something? The settings are loving labyrinthine enough. I’m on PS4, so I doubt there’s a solution. It’s really frustrating to struggle just to see quest markers, even worse when you don’t get one on the border of the minimap unless your’e in the correct zone, and even more frustrating that icons which indicate quest progress are different depending on the activity. I have to try to memorize different blobs, commit them to memory so I can pick them out of the clutter on the map. Something so core to the game shouldn’t be so annoying, but here we are.

If there’s a way to recolor the map on PC via mods, I could snag my partner’s laptop and play on that, but I don’t want to hog it with this game if I can avoid it. Thoughts?

I don't think there's an in-game way to do it, unfortunately. There is a mod you can install with TexTools or Penumbra on PC that will use grayscale maps: https://www.xivmodarchive.com/modid/57235#info

There was a change made in 6.2 to recolor the large filled circle area markers "to improve support for color blindness" but it's not a big change and you'd need to use SimpleTweaks to change those. The icons didn't change though. There is a list of all of them here https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Dictionary_of_Icons, at least.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

it's that or wait for several months for it not to be at rear end in the morning, at which point you might be at work

i haven't started on it myself but i'm told there's a fun camaraderie to be had from seeing people show up at the rare spot during the rare time and seeing who does or doesn't get it. and the super rares are up for such a short window that it's not that frustrating if you don't get it

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

quiggy posted:

Unfortunately in order to do the moogle tribals you need to unlock the moogle tribals

and then you have to do them

christ i'm so glad to be done with that godforsaken tribe, let them all perish

you'll get 3 quests that send you to the other side of the zone, far from any aetherytes, and then once you're there you have to go across the zone again. maybe drop something off at another spot far from any aetheryte then go back across the zone yet again to talk to 3 lovely fuckers with poms in their ears

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

1glitch0 posted:

I'm a brand new player on xbox and I'm coming over from ESO. I'm only level 8 and still in the starting city, but I'm finding it hard to navigate with the map, as in finding where quests are and my location relative to them. Is this just a me problem? It's possible because I'm bad at games. There doesn't seem to be any way to make a waypoint or anything like that or am I missing something? It's not a giant problem now since I'm just a dumb baby so "go east" works well enough now, but feels like it will not work well enough once the game expands in scope.

Otherwise it's kinda cool!

When you have the map active, LB+RB will set down a flag that also shows up on the minimap. If you're on the same map as a quest objective, your minimap will have an orange arrow at the edge pointing to where the objective is, as well. And don't forget when you look at a quest in the journal, there's a map button that will open the map at your objective (mostly), though this may be less helpful if it's in a different zone.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

If you keep running Command missions with squad members, they unlock Battle Tactics randomly (and might randomly not unlock one) after each. There are four kinds and the only important one is Offensive. At rank 5 it gives +60% damage for the squad member who has it, so they can match or possibly beat roulettes with players and will be faster than duty support.

Main downsides here are:
* as with many XIV legacy systems, it's a pain in the rear end to get up there
* there's a very limited selection of dungeons available
* they cost GC seals to run, though the gear you get from it helps with that

It's hard to recommend really. I have a squad full of lv60 offense 5 guys and I have no classes under level 70 so I never run with them any more.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

you can... i say "right-click" all the time even though I primarily use a controller but it's the left face button, X Y or Square depending on your controller, and select Focus Target from the menu to set a focus target.

there are controller options so you can bind left-stick or right-stick click to "assist target" which will select your target-of-target.
there isn't one for focus target, so you'd need to make a macro at #99 or #100 shared and have it /target <ft>, and set that macro to a stick click or otherwise put it on your XHB somewhere to press

for just left/right dpad targeting in healer quests specifically you have to make sure you have a filter to allow you to target NPCs/Objects:

by default with your weapon drawn you can't do this and it makes the pre-EW healer quests really loving annoying because the NPCs also don't count as part of your party

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

Minigames: There seem like there's basically 2-3 ones with various reskins. They aren't very interesting, and I wouldn't really do them outside the weekly, but at least the weekly has really mild requirements.

Here's something fun about two of them:
In 1.0, gathering was the Finer Miner and Out on a Limb games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbFHBCP7oXE&t=86s
The UI looks extremely laggy because UI happened server-side.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

la noscea > thanalan > gridania for leap of faith imo

gridania has some actual difficulty to it. not a lot compared to community jump puzzles or that tower but still it's the only one of them to be terribly hard on its own
thanalan is kind of boring tan and brown and also having one structure to climb is neat but means you're crowding together with everyone in the instance and it almost never clears out. the jumps mostly aren't difficult at least
la noscea is open, looks nice, and thins out nice and easy. i can coast to an easy 4k mgp in this one almost every time

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Each expansion gets even more voiced scenes in MSQ, but the actual MSQ quest mechanics don't progress too much. The writing tends to better justify what you're doing but the moment-to-moment MSQ gameplay stays largely the same.

By Shadowbringers essentially every important scene has full voice acting, and the English-version voice direction and how the VAs get their characters dramatically improves starting with 3.0 (along with switching out every 2.0 voice actor). Side stuff, job/class quests, and raids never do get voiced though, other than raid bosses sometimes getting voices for their fights.

Ultimately we're all well aware of the weaknesses in the format of the game overall and particularly ARR, which has those two long sloggy sections in 2.0 and 2.x, and if you can't get along with it, that's understandable.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

Man, I want that eggshell hat.

The good news is you can get it.

The bad news is it's $3 in the online store https://store.finalfantasyxiv.com/ffxivstore/en-us/product/69

CBU3 rarely or never re-runs event items, so event stuff from previous years goes into the online store starting the next year. Those hats are from early in the life, the wiki says Hatching-tide 2011 which was 1.0, and it did actually re-run in 2.0 during the 2014 Hatching-tide.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Only if you want to. They can be useful for getting actually rare materials like desynthing weapons from EX fights, but mostly don't give you much. Stuff over level 50 (desynth skill 130) can get you the 5k gil demimateria. Some big fish from ARR/HW can desynth into fashion.

Other than that almost all the time you're getting some elemental shards/crystals/clusters and one crafting item (or a cheap allagan coin).

I'm sort of idly increasing my desynth skills by desynthing quick venture returns, but only if they'll give me skill. And I'm still getting less out of them on average than if I just traded them to my GC for seals.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

the normal number is two

if enough players are doing good damage and (crucially) enough of them believe, you can skip the 2nd one

i have definitely died several times because not enough people believed when we clearly had enough to make it

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

you can usually tell if you're supposed to do something else instead of sit with the boss because the boss will stand still while poo poo happens

also positioning isn't super important even before bosses start moving to the center for big attacks, people will adjust, and as tank you can live through poo poo that'll kill all kinds of other people. just look and see if you have any melee in the party, if you do just keep the boss's back to the largest part of the arena so they can hit positionals, and stay still. if there are no melee the positioning almost doesn't matter at all

if you stick to leveling roulette you'll be pretty familiar with most bosses in my experience. with numbers, trials, and raid roulette much less so. just try to figure out what the boss is doing and if you guess wrong, oh well. as tank you'll probably live and keep going, and if you don't nbd, the other people probably know it about as well as you do

essentially this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcsYWWyn-rQ

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

other expansions do verticality but generally much better and less annoying. stormblood still has a bit of lovely-aether-crystal-location-itis but nothing is as bad as every heavensward zone is

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Kwyndig posted:

If you accept a duty finder during a cutscene it resets the cutscene so you can watch it later after you do your dungeon or whatever.

in addition to what orcane said, if you're a different job then you just have a useless duty finder popup you either have to reject, timeout, or actually skip the cutscene

which is annoying when you go do quests for a different job after queuing for expert roulette or whatever

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

yeah targeting alliance members sucks always on controller, if i'm a healer in frontlines i just pretend my healing only works on me because 90% of the time most of my party is out of range and it's impossible to precisely target any specific player quickly enough to help

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

i don't bother to keep much if it's worth less than like 100-150 gil on the market board, i just vendor it and don't worry about whatever i'd be losing

mob drops are basically only useful for crafting, and if you're limited on space not worth keeping around unless it's particularly valuable which mob drops generally aren't

if you do need something later when crafting, basically:
  • buy with gil, if you have a bunch
  • send a (combat) retainer to get it for you, if you don't want to pay
  • farm it yourself, if you're impatient and broke

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

404notfound posted:

I'm trying to clear out some of the random quests I've picked up while playing that I don't really intend to do. I have a few quests now for extreme trials, but I don't think I'm ready to dive into those just yet. If I've progressed the quest and unlocked the trial in the duty finder, can I abandon the quest, do the trial, and still get credit? Or does it have to be an active quest at that step before I enter?

you don't get credit if you don't have the quest active. if you want to clear out the log like people said unsync. if you don't care if you complete the quest, just drop it, the duties won't re-lock themselves. also in general the quests aren't pre-requisites for any other quests so it's unlikely to matter

thok ast thok is the last extreme unlock quest that requires you to return after finishing the trial; from the next ex on the extreme unlock quests complete as you talk to the npc that unlocks them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

Level 45.

It's been just cringy "oh I'm so dark and brooding *holds hand over right eye* oh I can hear the dark voices within me struggling to get out!"

please be sure to read the quest log after every step in the DRK quests

like a lot of quests have some fun info in the journal updates so read them when the fancy strikes, but DRK quests really make them Part Of It