Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
The real benefit of the gear you get from the Hall of the Novice is that it looks nice. At the time you can pick it up you are probably wearing a rainbow newbie clownsuit of unfashionable quest reward handouts. The coordinated set that you end up with is very snazzy-looking in comparison!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
FFXIV will always be wordy as gently caress and I personally enjoy it a lot because of that. I was that child that read the manual end to end and talked to every single villager, possibly repeatedly. Reading! gently caress YEAH READING! I like the world and the characters and I generally do not mind lingering a little longer with them all, all the more so the longer I've played.

I think it's hard to trust at first that ARR's plain vanilla story and crusty English VA are going to give you anything very promising. I'm sure we've all dealt with plenty of games where all the yammering is pretty pointless. I think it was somewhere in the 2.x patch section, about around where we were dealing with the newly-arrived Domans, that it hit me that even if some of this was dry and crunchy they seemed to actually be building something and taking it seriously. The real trick is not to go "it gets better in Heavensward!" but to let people know that all this is going somewhere.

Also seriously go do some side content, there's a surprising amount of stuff to screw around with even when you're not max level.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
Unlocking older master recipes isn't too hard, past a certain point. I believe anything past 3 you can just exchange white scrips for the token that you then exchange for the books, or just exchange for the books directly in some cases. The master recipes 1 and 2 require messing around with old ARR crafting and mats and were a little more annoying to do, but not by much.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
Yup, the single-player versions of the maps can still be reasonably profitable!

Also with ARR maps, the ones that suggest 8 players won't plunk you into a synced dungeon, they'll just barf out really nasty monsters. If you're over level 50 you can beat them down easily. Even those level 50 range ARR maps can have surprisingly profitable things within them, a nice fact if you're still getting your gatherers levelled.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

iPodschun posted:

From what I've been told, when the third SB alliance raid released there were groups that could not beat the third boss within the instance time limit. That fight has since been nerfed and we get an Echo bonus for the whole alliance raid.

Can confirm, Ivalice's third raid third boss was a right fucker. One of my proudest FFXIV moments at the time was making it through that fight at launch, having JUST made it to level cap and caught up with content. It was terrifying and exhilarating for a newbie!

They've since toned down the mechanics so that one or two people not getting on the spot/getting off the spot will kill the poo poo out of everyone, which is probably for the best. It's still a very exciting fight, just not as rear end-clenching as it once was.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
Another fun benefit that I realized when I ran an alt of mine through Coils not long ago is that with the dungeon drop updates, all of the Coils drop gear coffers now. If your level 90 friends running you through let you have 'em, you'll also finish your run with a full set of some sweet gear for glamours!

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

Kwyndig posted:

Perhaps like me they're tired of "ironic"racism even against fantasy people and think calls for the extermination of a people to be beyond the pale.

I mean yeah, that's where it is for me. Yes ARR is slow and kind of sucky, we've all been there, but it feels different coming from someone whose sense of humor is calibrated at the "wanna kill the cute/small things in this game, hate them so much, amirite guys?" level. I think I've gotten too used to most of the forum's population having gone on an irony detox and not needing to prop up their enjoyment of an anime weeb video game with defensive/derisive making GBS threads on the parts that are insufficiently manly/macho/western/normal/something.

ARR is fuckin' rough, though. I am the target audience for boxes and boxes and boxes of text about menial chores for regular citizens and even I was getting a bit exasperated some of the busywork 2.x had me doing. 2.5 made it all worthwhile and things generally improve steadily, but yeah yeah yeah it's been said before and there's nothing they can do to fix ARR other than deleting it entirely and that'd take WAY more dev time and resources than anyone's gonna wanna commit, so welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
Yeah, grizzled highlanders are cool and good! And if you're happy with your choice of character, it is your girlfriend's problem to get over that she only seems to want to be seen around "pretty" characters. That's kind of shallow and weird, y'know?

I could give hair/fashion/makeup advice that might look a little 'nicer' but man, gently caress that, your dude is perfectly fine, especially if you like him the way he is.