Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
new thread yay! I am a sprout sage and love this game. Let's go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i forgot about levequests for 55 levels and when i was like 79.9, msq capped and not feeling roulettes or fates i went and picked a couple up and then started raging WHERE ARE THE MOBS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

(You have to go in and click the 'Initiate' button for things to Happen. it's not like a FATE or whatever)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i think if you're into one or the other or both of smn/sch that it's the absolute best first job to level up, because you can blow the living poo poo out of things on smn when you're on msq solo stuff, and if you need to join a duty or raid with others, you'll get picked up instantly on sch. i had a very easy time of it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, more or less. They do some pretty intense blowy uppy stuff later on.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
scholar is a ton of fun and cured my 20 year old allergy to playing MMO healers. I ended up liking SGE more, but scholar is competent and you can do some pretty awesome stuff with it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
or you could go the other wasteful, computationally intensive way like me, always have streamlabs up with the rolling recorder running, and when you see a shot or frame you like, hit the 'save' button and go back and framecap it

don't do this. i am ill.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
marauders turn into warriors which, from everything i've ever heard (i've never played one myself) are one of the most straightforward and most bulletproof jobs in the game. Jokes about "why is there a healer in this party? tank is a warrior" abound. Good pick.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
wtf how have i never heard of Eureka before. this looks rad

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I love dumb bullshit pointless side things right now, as i've promised my friends that im gonna stream my MSQ progress and that's on hold till i sort out my stream setup next week. Gonna check it out this week, thanks!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I never did coils at the level one was supposed to do them at because everybody said either OH ITS REALLY HARD MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN A GREAT PARTY or SUP FAM HMU AND I'LL UNSYNC YOU THROUGH EM

wanna say around the low 70s? i tried unsyncing them on sge and blew the poo poo out of everything and got to see the cuts. that was pretty cool

they're still near the top of my list for Tails second chance farming

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i am disgustingly sugary in DF and do a nice "hi lets rock this!" greeting and then usually do a chat thank-you to anybody that busted it in addition to giving a comm. Life's too short to be a shitbag in duty finder

i also have an "eat the fruit! it's delicious!" macro

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
's why i quit GNB. tanxiety was too high and i wasn't learning how to get better, i was just learning how to play conservatively enough that nobody would yell, but i'd also never get commendations. i'm now having fun with DRG as my bullshit gently caress-around job

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Dareon posted:

Whenever I want to zone out and relax, I swap to healer and put on MSQ roulette. It's absolutely the weirdest thing.

lol i do the same poo poo.

of course i tried to get cocky last night and of course got AV first try. Ugh.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

quiggy posted:

So talk to me about buying the game instead of using the free trial. I know there's a lot of features blocked off in the free trial, especially around social interactions. Is there any reason to buy the Standard Edition (ARR+Heavensward) instead of the Complete Edition (all expansions)? Will I be on the hook for the subscription fee even while still doing free trial content if I buy now while I'm in late ARR? I'm enjoying the game and will probably buy it to play all the story content, but also I'd rather not pay for a subscription to continue playing the content I'm already playing for free.

Where are you at in the ARR/HW story? If you've got a way to go you can probably hold off another month. on the other hand you should subscribe so you can accept trades and i can hand you this 500k gil i got from levelskipping DRG that i don't need.

e: you do get a free month when you buy the game. And i strongly recommend buying the whole thing, but beware - there will be minor spoilers on the title screen when it starts playing movies if you buy the whole buffet; don't let them run forever.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
sge has entered the chat

(though tbf we're not just strobe lights)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

euphronius posted:

I am keeping the waking sands teleports tho. Those things are awesome.

Protip once you burn em up tho: Limsa, aetheryte to Arcanists' Guild, walk five steps, ferry to Vesper Bay

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Not a fan of the library! Still kind of amusing how they got past the book but still wiped, though. god i hate the book.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
quigs, you should (and eventually, Must) do the Crystal Tower raids. They are notoriously hilarious shitshows. A mix of sprouts running it their first time who don't know the mechanics, and vets doing it for roulettes who don't care about them. You will die. Others will die. poo poo will be going off everywhere. But it's tremendous fun and you'll ooh and aah at the dungeons. IMO i would suggest going in blind for the Adventure, and then reading/watching a guide for them to figure out what the big busters are, then you'll be pro.

e: just say "hi! first time run here" and ppl should help you with the big risky spots, and the second rule is: always. stay. with. your. group. (alliance raids are split into A, B, and C 8-person groups - figure out which one you're in and stick to them like glue)

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 8, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'd say hour and a half to two hours from the first quest acceptance to complete. There are some cutscenes you'll want to watch, and sometimes it takes a few minutes to get a Duty Finder started up just due to the sheer raid size. Strongly recommend trying it primetime when more players will be signing up for it.

e: thats for 3 raids and all the quests and cutscenes. a single one is going to be like 15-25 minutes but i suggest doing the series of 3 all in one session for max story feels

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Raenir Salazar posted:

Sometimes my health bar gets dangerously low and I'm just nervously looking at the healer :sweatdrop:

We see you. And we're laughing.

No, for real, yeah that's the healer minigame in dungeons. my official orders from the Sage Cabal are: "see how much dps you can do while keeping an eye on the tank's health and laser-light-show bombing them with heals if it gets dicey, then go back to dps"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

FuturePastNow posted:

I notice far too many healers try to keep my health topped up :(

Nooo let me use Bloodwhetting

Yeah, learning about the 'low health -> big payoff' actions really drilled the healer role into my brain. you're supposed to let them dip a bit!

also ppl that waste a bunch of time adlo'ing or whatever the tank to full after a fight. ugh

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

quiggy posted:

e: this is assuming the leveling roulette hasn't given me loving Satasha again, in which case I only get access to Cure I and I probably won't heal you the entire dungeon :v:

lmao, the first time i rouletted sastasha as a ~50 scholar, we started and i was all "uhhh i can do faerie heals but none of my other buttons work down here, sorryyyyy"

"you idiot, put physick on your bar"

so i keep all my super lowbie spells that don't upgrade on a little trash bar over in the corner of the UI, and if i get dragged down to a low level dungeon i swap a couple in to my real hotbar real quick

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

blatman posted:

if its just 1 adlo they're probably doing it to pre-shield for the next pull so they can slack a bit more though

some people say the trick is to land it right when the last mob dies but I disagree, I think the trick is to swiftcast adlo after the tank takes off running

yeah i did SCH to 74-ish before i hopped to SGE, i'd usually try to finesse a swift adlo for that. Now it's not a problem of course with insta euk diag

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
so, started playing again in the past couple weeks. Finished SHB, now i'm going through patch quests, and i'm sittin on the balcony in Eulmore and watching these Seat Of Sacrifice guides, and, uh, man this is where poo poo gets real huh

I'm studying but man this is a lot more mechanics in one fight than im used to

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
All right, you've built my confidence up. Thanks all. Gonna wail on this poo poo after work

Mister Olympus posted:

never look up mechanics for story content. it's not built for it. it's built for jumping in blind and you're probably getting guides to the harder version of the fight anyway

To be honest, the video i watched last night was at 60% and he said "ok and NOW the real fight starts" and i stopped it there, so there'll be a little bit of adventure in my attempt at least!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
played for 8 hours tonight lol oops

anyways i stopped pooping my pants over the Seat of Sacrifice guide, fired up DF and lo and behold we got it no problemo after a 15 min wait. i only died twice and second time was at 3% so who cares. Fun fight!

and then i went ahead and finished 5.3 and did 5.4 too.

tomorrow are the 5.5's and if i'm feeling froggy i may fire up my stream/record my absolutely blind entry into eeeend waaaaaaaalk eeeeerrrrrrr.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Playing SGE in XIV has objectively improved my gaming abilities and I now main a healer with a little bit of side damage in my other MMO and people are like "how did you get so viciously good overnight" in that one

and i say

ALWAYS
BE
CASTING

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Finished the 5.x quests. Time to walk the end.

(think im gonna give myself a day or two and run through the niers and otherwise gently caress around a bit)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Theris posted:

but I don't think I'd tell someone who just finished 5.55 to take a lot of time to go back and do everything before they start EW.

No this is all actually great advice and i'm gonna breathe a bit. I started on EW release weekend without realizing it (and thought this game was run like dogshit with 4000 person queues all the time lol) and i'm trying to pace myself so that I don't have too much thumb twiddling time between when I finish and when 7.0 comes out. Plus i've got a new gpu coming for my streambox today and i promised all my slack buddies i'd stream myself going thru the first few hours of EW knowing absolutely nothing about it, so i gotta get that set up first

Plenty of time.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
did the first nier raid, TONS of fun. i enjoy the followup questy stuff and will be doing the other two this week. Hell yeah.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
correct me if i'm wrong, but if i only sge my only relic option is the EW one right

Been thinking about trying to eventually get a little blinged out idk

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
So far my favorite nouliths are the coat hooks from the 80 crafted set but the 84's are growing on me. I like how they're not identical and would love to see more weird setups like that

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

That Little Demon posted:

Minions that sit on your shoulder = mega win. just got puff of darkness from world of darkness. awesome

ive been running puff for like a year and a half until i got wind-up mystel. Big agree

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Antivehicular posted:

The Gaelikitten also has a very intense "never talk to me or my WoL again" stare on the shoulder, which is really good

i saw my first weatherproof gaelikitten or w/e the other day and i must have it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Apropos of nothing, man i love SGE. Back at EW release i rolled blm, got it to the low 40s, started hating life and quit. Then i came back and started with sch/smn, and i don't care about either now. I actually bought an 80skip for dragoon bc i thought Estinien was cool, and just immediately noped out. Even manually leveled gnb to high 70s but then realized i was not having fun. But sage. sage, man. God drat it's fun and good. And i'm becoming somewhat decent at it!

It's also been so much interest and fun that I switched to playing healer classes in the other mmo i play (daoc). And i'm like one of the top druids on the server now and always get a group and i've pulled off some amazing poo poo, because i've kind of internalized that "the only hit point that matters is the last one" so i can plan my heals so much better there, even though that game runs completely mechanically different. FFXIV is really good at teaching you how to pull off that 3% health to full Hail Mary play right when it's needed.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jul 29, 2023

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ding 89 so close! (and i havent started ew yet)

the 88 crafted sge gear is sick2nasty. those gats

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I've been grinding roulettes to finish out 90 and boy loving howdy it's impressive how blatant no tank stance is, i go in with some phlegma balls and why do i have seven red dots on my screen, tank where are you, stop running your style chain on that one mob, help

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i compulsively re-kardia in dungeons because ive gotten loving owned by it before and there's really no downside to spamming it a bit if you're a little frazzled and some people may have died

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if i move kardia i always keep an ogcd up for the tank in case i Critically Mis-Assessed The Situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
picked up MRD from 1 , did potd 1-10, did some fates and class quests and hellll yeah this rules. Maybe i misstepped by going straight into gnb as a side piece and then getting overwhelmed