Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

That Little Demon posted:

its also strange raiding in FF14 because its like bite size pieces of a raid. I'm used to a raid being a big thing but this feels oddly like, these raids don't exist in the world? in EQ, Classic WoW ect these raids existed in the world, yes there was trash and busy work ect instead of just bosses but this distilled form of raiding feels weirdly disjointed from the world ect. Things like that help the world feel more real, whereas in FF14 the overworld is dead and exists as an afterthought, you get barely any attachment to zones besides the 3 major cities.... its not bad and its different but there is something lost there

It's my least favorite aspect of FFXIV and it's why I never end up caring about endgame. The fights are there for the first time spectacle for me. The rewards for clearing fights are generally not impressive either, just a small stat bump that doesn't even make you feel significantly more powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Alexander Gordias sucking so bad made me quit the game until Stormblood came out.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Antivehicular posted:

My understanding is that the capstone level 50 content used to have skippable cutscenes, but this led to people constantly charging forward while newbies were in cutscenes, so your choice was "watch cutscenes" or "play any of the content" and the devs decided this was a pretty lovely experience for new players hitting the action climax of 2.0 and shut it down

Not only that but at launch spamming CM and Prae was the go to method to farm tomestones as you got 100 a run and they were super fast with cutscene skipping. You did not receive the capped currency from them, but that wasn't that big of a deal when you were trying to get out of i50 gear.

So at 2.0 launch period watching cutscenes was actually impossible if you wanted to actually do the dungeons since people were entering them purely for tomestones.

Also remember that the only other level cap dungeons at the time were Wanderer's Palace and Amdapor Keep, and Wanderer's Palace had less tomestones drop per run and Amdapor was actually considered somewhat challenging by the playerbase at the time. So there was no reason to run Wanderer's at all and Amdapor was purely for capping for the week. At some point I think they boosted Wanderer's Palace to drop the same amount as Amdapor, and everyone just speed ran that instead.

Kongming fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 25, 2023

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

iirc back in the day there were no ! marks and you had to see how much the tip of your rod jiggled? (hence the light option for night fishing)

When I saw the ! change in the patch notes I thought why the gently caress would they do this, that's so lame. But it's actually a drat necessity for ocean fishing (which they added in the same patch) since fishing near other players before the ! was added was actually super obnoxious. I would go mostly by audio cue so hearing other people's bites would throw me off.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Regalingualius posted:

…wait, the exclamation marks weren’t in until mid-ShB?

Yep. I actually made this video in Shadowbringers for a friend. No exclamation points to be seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di8kBdDj6nc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I definitely have memories of people complaining sometimes when the "A player is new to this duty" message appeared with the tomestone bonus. People called it the "noob bonus" or something. This was also a long time ago, maybe even pre-Heavensward, so I don't know if anyone like that still plays this game.