Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I saw some hubbub about TLD and wtf are people getting so aggro at him for posting that the ARR and post ARR quests are a loving slog because they were and still are a loving slog. The real hosed up part is that they used to be worse.

ARR's story has it's high points. Coils, the CT story, and Hildibrand are all top notch. I think the beast tribe captstone is pretty good, as well. A lot of the rest of it is really bad, and TLD is right that it's silly that the WoL is handing out uniforms to scrubs. There is so much filler in ARR and post ARR because they were still scrambling to recover from how lovely 1.0 was and save the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

A little while back someone asked about leveling crafters, and one HUGE thing is to make sure you're doing your daily grand company supply and provisioning turn ins. You can press ctrl+u to bring up your timers menu and then click on your GC to see what today's deliveries are. They reset daily at 4pm est. At low levels, a high quality starred turn in will get you multiple levels. Often times the turn in item is available on the marketboard, and you can actually turn the seals you generate into more gil than you spend on the item.

You can level all of your crafters to max level from nothing in 4 months or so just by logging in daily, buying your turn in items, and turning them in.

Beyond that, check out levequests at your current level. You probably have 99 leve allowances stacked. You can just buy these items off the mb and vendors and turn them in for quick experience.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

quiggy posted:

Leveling crafters is easy, right up until you get to the Heavensward crafting quests, which suck.

(Guess what part of the crafting leveling experience I'm on right now)

I didn't do some of the heavensward crafting quests until I already had everything at 90 because I needed to unlock some skills. It's perfectly ok to use GC turn ins and levequests to really outgear the crafting storyline and make it much easier.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah. ARR has a lot of problems, and even the "streamlined" version is still not great. It's a testament to how bad 1.0 was that ARR with it's problems was still a massive triumph.

The story line is going to get much better from where you are, and the music in the game is about to really step it up a notch.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Even synced, coils are way easier now than they were in ARR or even HW due to how skills have changed at level 50 and overall dps inflation. T13 was cleared without too much extra gear. At i130 even in ARR you overgeared T13 and trivialized some of the mechanics.

My guess is the parties collected via DF were mostly people doing mentor roulette, so they're more likely to be familiar enough with the fights. That plus stat and skill changes since then make them perfectly doable.

Min-ilevel is where the real challenge lies. You definitely need a party that knows the fight well for that.

TLD: one thing to take into context - a lot of the story you're powering through originally took years to fully play out. There were months between chunks of the story, and they had a lot of filler to stretch that out as much as possible. This isn't to justify it, but rather to present a logic to it. It's terrible to consume all at once because it wasn't designed and didn't initially exist all at once. This was a game that originally had a decreasing experience gains the more you played. During 1.0, you were literally limited to playing a small number of hours a day if you wanted to maximize experience gains. 1.0 was an insane mess, and it's crazy that they were able to salvage the game.

I'm not certain, but I think that a full revamp of ARR is eventually planned. They've done a lot already with dungeons and instances as everything the story touches now uses standardized markers and they changed the terrible 1.0 holdover dungeons. I just think that the early story rewrite is backburner work.

That Little Demon posted:

very, very hard to tell what is and isn't sincere with this text if we are being honest. I read it as sincere because so far, there is no indication the writers don't think highly of him. They made him a commander of an entire new Grand Company.....

The flavor text for quests and things are often very tongue in check. I'm excited for you to finish the next few parts of the story.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah I get all that, and I love MMOs and have played most of them (outside of F2P and a majority of Korean ones) so I’m coming at this and my opinion is being formed as a new player experiencing all this at once. It truly leaves a sour taste in my mouth and if I was a normal person trying to get into this I could only imagine how many simply give up

Totally. We've talked countless players though the ARR doldrums. You're rounding third, though.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jonny 290 posted:

I reasoned that as I have F1-F8 bound to target party member (for SGE) and as I will never need to target myself as i can just ESC-untarget to heal myself on SGE that i could open up F1. So on BLM i set up Aetherial Manipulation on F1, and now i can F2 F1 and yeet myself to the tank to get out of yuck. I'm flying the gently caress around these maps now boiiii. I like it.

Another thing to remember is if you're targeting an enemy, all healing spells will automatically target you. Rather than escape to drop target, you can just hit tab to target the boss.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I like really like how they made sage heal by doing dps. It really hammers home that your job, even as a healer, is to be hitting the boss.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

One thing to also remember, melding and overmelding doesn’t really matter except for top end difficulty content and even then is not completely necessary. Also melding priority will probably adjust a bit in the next expansion.

For general melding thoughts across all jobs:

Crit: top meld for everyone everywhere. Best stat you can stack.

Det/DH: generally equal if you have equal amounts of the stat. Support roles do not get DH naturally and will generally prefer DH over Det. DPS it depends on which stat your gear gives you more of.

Speed: you want as close to the exact amount you need for your breakpoint. There are a lot of calculators which can give you the breakpoint goal.

That’s basically it for melding. You’re probably never going to meld tenacity or piety for EW content.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

reversefungi posted:

Thanks friends! Sticking with AoE was my assumption but wasn’t ever 100% sure. Also feel like I constantly see tanks when I’m healing that only use the occasional aoe. Always thought that was weird and maybe I was missing some detail :shrug:

It is weird and bad. The name of the game is kill the mobs as fast as possible. You do that by everyone maximizing their personal DPS. Once you're 3+ enemies, everyone's AOE skills outpace their single target skills. There is very little reason to ever do anything other than your AOE rotation when there are 3+ enemies on any job.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Some jobs actually do benefit form aoe at 2+ enemies. It can be useful to do on two enemies for faster gauge charging for GNB.

From a pure numbers standpoint it is slower even if not massively slower. It is noticeable when the jobs that have only 3+ aoe rotations do them at 2 mobs. It is not hard and fast to switch to single target from aoe and just depends on the job and circumstances.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

reversefungi posted:

Retainer question: I have two level 90 retainers, both RDM. I usually just send them on quick explorations to see if they bring me anything neat throughout the day, occasionally will get a really expensive glam item or something and sell it on the MB for a nice chunk of gil. Is there anything better I should using my ventures/retainers on?

If you send them out on the max level field ex (18 hours), they will have a random chance to bring in a rare minion. These rare minions used to be worth more, but grand company loot boxes reduced this number quite a bit.

A lot of people prefer to have gathering minions because you can send them out constantly to bring in mats to sell on the MB.

e: you can also check and see if various skins or animal parts they can gather are selling for much on the MB and send them out to get those.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 23, 2023

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Your chocobro is also super helpful in all overworld content.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jonny 290 posted:

level 10 choco slaps pretty decent and will keep a little regen on your idiot rear end. Strongly recommended. it's at least as much damage as a dot ticking

You can go to level 20. Once you hit 10 and every subsequent level after, give your bird a thavnarian onion to break the level cap. At level 20 you can have all three specs fully capped.

If you’re in a goon FC there are probably available onions in the FC chest.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also, check in your goon FC as there may be free onions available. That's one of the perks to playing with goons.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Make sure you are also using the FC stables to feed your bird when you're not online, and also feed other people's birds too.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

orcane posted:

For people in PBC, the last time I checked we had 70+ onions stashed. Just ask and receive free onions. For feeding the birds you don't even have to ask anyone, food and brooms (to clean the stables if they're not sparkling - clean stables give more bird XP) are freely available in the first FC chest tab.

I think this is the case in all goon FCs, and I'd be shocked if it isn't. If you're not playing with goons, I hope you have a good reason!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

❄︎⍓︎◻︎♏︎ ⍓︎□︎◆︎❒︎ ⧫︎♏︎⌧︎⧫︎ ♒︎♏︎❒︎♏︎📬︎ 🕆︎⬧︎♏︎ ✌︎☹︎☹︎ 👍︎✌︎🏱︎💧︎ ♐︎□︎❒︎ 🕈︎ 👎︎ ☝︎♋︎⬧︎⧫︎♏︎❒︎🕯︎⬧︎ ●︎♋︎■︎♑︎◆︎♋︎♑︎♏︎ 🖳︎✆︎ has requested your attention to walk around like a toddler in the desert for a 1 hour questline

Looks like someone's mammet is broken again.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dr Pepper posted:

Please unsubscribe from this game and delete your sa account

Why you gotta be hostile to a newbie that hadn't yet read the naming conventions for the different types of people in the game? Please be nice to sprouts.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Maxwell Lord posted:

PVP is a thing you do for mogtomes and catbook (you haven't found catbook yet, but it's a thing) and you run it, accept that you have no real control over what is going on, get the tomes/stamp and move on.

TLD hasn’t done HW yet so no catbook.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You know what is a perfect way to follow up that awesome Ishgard bridge fight....?

Follow around some loving idiots level 1 questing adventure from the sidelines! :D loving awesome! you really know how to pace this game

Ah, Tataru.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Very true lol. Like I said, most of this stuff is bringing a huge smile to my face because so far I hate 99% of these idiots lol

We have all basically been waiting for you to get to this exact moment.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kazinsal posted:

Been playing a bit of sage and while it's fun to shoot lasers at enemies to feed the tank handfuls of aspirin I think I find it a bit more stressful than I remember WHM being. Doesn't seem to have as many consistently big "press this to do large heals" buttons.

That’s because sage, like scholar, is much more of a shield healer. Mitigating damage is most important.

AST and WHM are your regen plus big heals team.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Glad you've hit good stuff and are enjoying the story more. Also, there used to be more bullshit moogle quests. They removed quite a bit of moogles loving with you.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Well, my memory sucks!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I love Metal and the language the lyrics are in.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Note that the above video contains scenes from Alexander raids do not watch if you care about seeing it completely fresh.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

does HW have a huge post game to get to the next expansion or no? just curious because I'm already level 66 in HW lol

There is a lot of content between the end of 3.0 and 3.55, yes. It's not as much as ARR, though, but it's all really good.

As far as leveling, yes, the game will massively overlevel you if you're doing everything on one job. Try to split off into multiples as much as you can. Just doing main story in Endwalker, for example, I took two level 80 jobs to 90. If you do everything on one job only, you'll likely be level 90 before you get to Endwalker.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TLD if you only like doing content on healer, then use MSQ/quests to level at least one tank and one of the various types of dps so you can do the role quests and their capstones later on. Continue to do dungeons/raids/pvp on your healer.

Also changing jobs on the fly is ingrained even into the game storyline. The generic hyur insert in cutscenes/promos started as an archer in 1.0, switched to war by the end of 1.X, was WAR in ARR and DRG in HW. NPCs even change jobs in the story.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That’s cause you get ice clusters from aetherial reduction of the fishes that gives you aethersand from spearfishing. I got over 1500 ice crystals and clusters today while getting a stack of aethersand. I don’t know exactly how many I got because halfway through I was capped at 9999 each.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

girl dick energy posted:

Selling them at 6 gil per crystal is still like an 80% loss of your potential profit for literally no reason. I consider it a good deal when I get ice cystals at 26 gil per.

I get what you’re saying, but the ffxiv marketboard is a pure supply/demand situation. There are a lot of people still crafting high end food for raiding and thus an overflow of ice clusters and crystals. The market price is the equilibrium price on that server. That arbitrage opportunities may exist is a separate matter. You can’t sell them on primal for 26 gil per because there’s far more supply than demand.

Water crystals/clusters, otoh, are more expensive because they’re not generated as effortlessly as a side part to other production.

E: looking right now only clusters are really priced low. Crystals are still selling for a good amount.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 14, 2023

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Y'all didn't mention 1.0's fatigue system that made you get less experience the more you played. The original game was built so you'd get punished if you played too much.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Oh, yeah, I forgot - 1.0 didn't actually involve the PC in cutscenes. Instead you chose a "companion" that was the person that actually experienced the story.

Yoshi dealt with the companion problem when he introduced Gaius. The catgirl gladiator was one of the companion NPCs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87OO1i_WMHA

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

it was the same team at that time though? why is the villain in 1.0 so much more interesting than anything from ARR lol, in a 2 min cutscene???

Although Gaius was definitely the baddy in ARR, he's not the ultimate villain in 1.0. He actually helps the team a bit because he's opposed to project Meteor.

That cutscene was also a symbolic message to the playerbase that things had changed behind the scenes. The old gods were dead.

And, yes, 1.0 was the most beautiful game in cutscenes because they had a fantastic engine for doing cutscenes. They didn't have a great engine for making dynamic gameplay, though, and had strained their art budget so much that the overworld was literally four to five different textures rotated.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

reversefungi posted:

On a wholly different note, I've been leveling PLD since I already have GNB/DRK leveled to 90 and want to just get all tanks to 90 at this point. Haven't really understood the appeal until just now. Had the healer die 1/3 of the way into the last boss of Skalla and was able to keep the two DPS and myself alive for the rest of the fight. That was pretty drat cool :shobon:

After a certain point, PLD and WAR can solo most normal content in the game due to their insane amount of self healing. It’s really fun and also harrowing at times as you struggle to save a deep dungeon run on the penultimate boss with everyone else dead.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Alex is great for the music. Metal, the Brute Justice remix, and Rise are some of my favorite ffxiv music.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Arist posted:

Worth noting that the raid fights don't get consistently mechanically interesting until Omega. There's some occasional cool stuff in Alexander, especially the last two fights, but even in HW the devs are still trying to define what a raid even looks like in this game, which is why some of them have trash fights.

Also worth mentioning that at launch the Savage versions of the first Alex tier at least were completely hosed in terms of difficulty to the point that it almost killed the entire raiding scene for the game before it even really got off the ground.

Pepsiman was a staticbreaker and the dps checks on the manipulator were just insane. Only something like 4% of the playerbase cleared pre-nerf.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

yes but the raid drops just nuts and bolts for 170 IL gear when I have full 270 easily from tomes lol... its boring as gently caress, not even minions or mounts or rolls. Boring....

That’s because at the time the raid was released the max gear was 210. The normal raid drops were supplemental gear for people to use for savage raid prep. The second wing drops turnins for 220 gear and the final wing drops turnins for 250 gear.

Since you’re playing after the expansion, you already have full HW endgame gear that would have taken months to get and could only be gotten with savage raiding prior to the last of the HW 24 person raids.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I am. Also is there a site that lists rewards from raids. Wondering if Savage Coils has anything I want. I did all 12 normal

The rewards for Savage Second Coil are titles. They’re still pretty rare, but not near as hard to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The savage second coil titles are:

Rafflesia Reaper
Melusine Mauler
The Avatar
Domitor/Domitrix