Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Oh hey, just noticed that there's a newbie thread. Started on the Xbox beta a few weeks ago, and I'm at level 56 on my dragoon and about to start the 2.3 quests. Hoping to hit 60 soon so I can give tanking with GNB a try.

I'm really starting to feel the 300k gil cap now for the free trial, and I'm thinking of upgrading to the free (for Game Pass subscribers) starter edition on Thursday just to uncap it, even though I probably have a ways to go before 70. I went around trying to buy all the orchestrion rolls and other expensive items that I could find, but what else can I invest my gil in so I'm not throwing it all away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

YggiDee posted:

If you're on a free trial you can't play Gunbreaker, that and Dancer were added in Shadowbringers

But honestly don't worry about the gil cap. You just don't have anything to buy before you have Market board or housing access.

Ah cripes, I did read up on things but somehow confused Stormblood with Shadowbringers :ughh:

And yeah, I noticed there's actually not too much to spend money on at the moment, but I'm just looking for something to dump gil into so I'm not just sitting at the cap and letting all the quest rewards go to waste.

I did stumble on a source that suggested crafting glamour prisms by stocking up on undyed velveteen and clear prisms, so I might give that a try. I started a few of the beast tribes but I don't think I really want to grind them out just so I can spend my money. Now that I need to buy Endwalker to play gunbreaker anyway, I'll probably just do that when the game officially releases for Xbox on Thursday

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I finally got to 60 and unlocked gunbreaker, after playing nothing but dragoon all this time. I'm going through some early dungeons to get a feel for tanking, but it's a bit overwhelming being tossed into a whole new role with a complete set of skills to learn.

I understand the basics like dragging the boss to the center of the arena and pointing them away from the party, but is there a guide to how I should cycle my mitigations (which one is good for what application, when to stack them, etc.)? Or how to get a feel for how much I can pull vs. how much my healer can handle?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Gunbreaker progress report: I've done a few duty supports and a few actual groups, and tanking is slowly getting better as I get comfortable with my skills and my controller setup. But with the number of dungeons in the game, what do you do when you don't remember the mechanics or how to handle specific boss attacks? Or if it's your first time through? I feel like the tank is always in the lead, and I feel kinda foolish if I start going the wrong way, or if I ignore things during a fight that I should pay attention to (or vice versa). I did Halatali today and I honestly couldn't remember if I was supposed to do anything when the fire sprites start flooding in, or if I was supposed to just leave it to DPS

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Now that I'm approaching 70 on dragoon, it's getting tricky finding a mnemonic controller layout that doesn't involve too much flipping back and forth. I have the Heavens' Thrust combo moving up through AXY on RT, the Chaotic Spring combo on LT+XY, then Fang and Claw and Wheeling Thrust on RT+B and LT+B, respectively. This works well enough, but then trying to find an easy way to double weave all the oGCD buffs and jump attacks without quick swaps to the other layout is a bit of a challenge. I think I'm just going to have to get used to playing controller piano in order to effectively play dragoon :negative:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I was chugging along and finally hit 70 on my dragoon, only to find that I'm no longer able to register for the alliance roulette. It says I need an item score of 305 now, but seeing as how I'm still wrapping up Heavensward, the level 60 poetics gear in Idyllshire is the best stuff I can get and is only item score 270.

I guess I can get higher level stuff from the market board? It's just annoying that I feel like I'm being punished for overleveling, particularly since the alliance roulette is the only one that seems to come up with DPS as the adventurer in need bonus with any regularity

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Ojjeorago posted:

If you’re that overleveled you don’t need to be running roulettes, just go play the game.

Being temporarily locked out of one roulette for one job isn't that big a deal in the grand scheme of things, but on this note I just wanna say that doing group content kinda is the game for me. The MSQ narrative is way better than I was expecting, but I play MMOs so that I can do stuff with other people. When I first saw the FATE system, I was hopeful that it meant I would run into people out in the world more regularly, but so far it's turned out like most other MMO open worlds, i.e., you're lucky to see more than two or three people while out doing your quests.

So I just have the duty finder running for about half the time while I plod through the MSQ and any potentially interesting side quests (not too disruptive on a DPS job), which I guess is how I ended up in this situation.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Is there a guide or something to what I should be hanging onto? I have a vague understanding that a lot of the stuff that drops from mobs can be safely disposed of, but I don't know if there are certain things that might make my life easier if I just hold onto it now.

Also, how should I get rid of stuff? I've just been turning my dungeon loot drops in for company seals, but I don't know if that's the most efficient use of them. For all the mob drops, do I vendor them? Try to sell them on the market board?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I'm trying to clear out some of the random quests I've picked up while playing that I don't really intend to do. I have a few quests now for extreme trials, but I don't think I'm ready to dive into those just yet. If I've progressed the quest and unlocked the trial in the duty finder, can I abandon the quest, do the trial, and still get credit? Or does it have to be an active quest at that step before I enter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I was liking gunbreaker for a while, feeling pretty good about learning the role, but a few missteps in the Alexander raids have set my confidence back a bit. There are a couple fights in the series that require (or heavily encourage) tank swaps, and not knowing that going in can make for a pretty bad time. I guess there are certain tells, like when an attack has "double" in the name, or you see special vulnerability stacks building up on the main tank. But in A5N, with the goblin that grows big, I didn't know you wanted to specifically wait for the concussion on the fourth stack (which clears the stacks) before swapping, so I ended up putting us both at three stacks. Plus there's still the occasional dungeon that gives me trouble, like the first part of Bardam's Mettle, and I feel like a bad tank when I end up pulling too much and dying.

On the other hand, I also picked up sage recently, and once I wrapped my head around the toolkit, it's been a much easier time. You really don't need to know a whole lot about any given encounter, even going in completely blind. Remember the names of raid-wide attacks and try to Kerachole/E-Prog the next time they come up, then just use whatever skill is appropriate to keep the tank's health from dropping too much/too quickly. In dungeons, the tank is the one deciding how much to pull, and I just have to try and heal through the damage.

I'll probably come around again on gunbreaker soon, but right now I feel like I just have to get better at reading encounters in general. I actually find it easier as sage than as my first job, dragoon, which takes just a little too much attention to remember the "proper" sequences of various oGCD skills to weave between the very rigid 10-GCD rotation while also trying to focus on mechanics