Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

PepperedMoth posted:

It sure didn't take long for things to go off the rails after the Victorious/Defeated revelation, huh?

frankly i'm glad for that! we've had enough of everything going right, we need some wrenches in the works to keep things fucky and interesting :buddy:

e: update on previous page, also, cribbage rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
Rooster would have been another solid option for taming, since his ability could be used to launch anyone forward 4 spaces--which is more versatile for someone with Dog's ability (since he could have Rooster either just move Dog forward, or have him move someone else into a better position for a Rabid Leap).

Pig might be a less ideal taming target for Dog than she initially seems if he's actually the Victorious one; Loser's Desperation would launch Pig ahead and enable Dog to jump a huge distance under the right circumstances, but since she acts after Dog, and Dog acts second-to-last, he wouldn't be able to Rabid Leap over her until the next round, and it'd be pretty easy for another player to interfere before he could act (possibly just by getting right in front of him, since he can only jump past the next person ahead of him on the board.)

Of course, moving second-to-last makes any sort of gambit difficult, since the other players can preempt it as long as it's something reasonably predictable.

It does seem likely that there's some particular ulterior motive for Dog to be targeting Horse. Dog runs a bar... he probably hears plenty of interesting things from his patrons. Maybe he heard something about Horse, or Horse's company.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Regardless of what Dog is thinking, the cast have just bought themselves nigh unlimited time to search for minor trinkets.

Slowest... game... of... rigged... Cribbage... ever...!

Break the game before it breaks you!

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.

NeoRonTheNeuron posted:

Regardless of what Dog is thinking, the cast have just bought themselves nigh unlimited time to search for minor trinkets.

Slowest... game... of... rigged... Cribbage... ever...!

Break the game before it breaks you!

"A list of games appeared on my tablet when the announcement played. I already looked over it. They were mostly childish. But of the options...

"...I guess I'll play The Campaign for North Africa."

biosterous posted:

frankly i'm glad for that! we've had enough of everything going right, we need some wrenches in the works to keep things fucky and interesting :buddy:

It would be kind of funny to see a VN in which all of the death game participants were super-cooperative, nice to each other, and ludicrously forgiving of any and all Dark Secrets held by any other players, leading the game master to make increasingly-desperate attempts to turn them against each other... and then, once the game master is thoroughly fed up, they discover that the collars/wristbands/whatever measures are meant to kill players who step out of line have all malfunctioned and become completely harmless.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
That'd be a fantastic joke ending. I hope they give us one of those.

Speaking of which, Tiger, Snake, and Rooster haven't arrived yet, so they might already be making use of their extra time to find more trinkets. Surely nothing else will go wrong.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

PepperedMoth posted:

It would be kind of funny to see a VN in which all of the death game participants were super-cooperative, nice to each other, and ludicrously forgiving of any and all Dark Secrets held by any other players, leading the game master to make increasingly-desperate attempts to turn them against each other... and then, once the game master is thoroughly fed up, they discover that the collars/wristbands/whatever measures are meant to kill players who step out of line have all malfunctioned and become completely harmless.

"I have loaded your collars with a truly deadly concoction, ha-ha! Inside it are atoms of Sodium, which is known to produce catastrophic explosions in some liquids, mixed with atoms of the element Chlorine, a poison that no living thing can withstand! What's more, I processed them with the Ionization Ray, which will only make these two toxic partners even more attracted to each other in a danse macabre. I then infused this into a water solution, making it possible to inject it straight! into! your! bloodstream! If you don't want to find out what happens when your body is exposed to such a noxious mixture, you had best play the game as I say!"

I do find it interesting that no one's openly questioned the Brian Morris theory. Yes, they are all connected to him in some way it seems, but it's certainly possible for the mastermind to not be him. Could be the judge, some disgruntled crazy who followed the trial, the 'real killer', anyone.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Kangra posted:

I do find it interesting that no one's openly questioned the Brian Morris theory. Yes, they are all connected to him in some way it seems, but it's certainly possible for the mastermind to not be him. Could be the judge, some disgruntled crazy who followed the trial, the 'real killer', anyone.

Yeah, at this point I'm wondering if Brian Morris is the U.N. Owen of this game...

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Alright gang, believe it or not, we already have an actual choice coming up next update! This one's pretty straightforward, though:

Do we stay and watch the game of Cribbage, or do we use this to our advantage and go hunt for trinkets? :eng101:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Let's stay and watch.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Well on one hand there is a clear rational choice that is explicitly the better of the two for getting out of here alive.

On the other hand there is extreme cribbage where lives hang in the balance.

He'll yes we're staying to watch that poo poo.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

stay and watch

who doesn't want to see some extreme pegging action on that cribbage board

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Stay and watch.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I'm here for some high stakes Cribbage. Stay and watch.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
Hunt for trinkets

We need something here, because if he wins Dog puts everyone in a very precarious position: any future attempts to tame are made with the knowledge that beating him kills not just him but everyone he's already beaten. Unless we find something that messes with that kind of relationship, someone dies. Plus, if we stay, we'll probably catch someone cheating and get them killed.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

[BGM: Silence]
Cribbage?

My father taught me how to play it when I was young. It's my favorite card game.

Cribbage, huh? I'm familiar with it. Not a bad choice. There was a deck of cards in the vending machine, so we're all set if we want to play.

How're we playing?

Standard rules. Muggins are allowed. First to 140.

Sounds great. Let's get seated at this table.

The two made their way over to a nearby table. Horse took the liberty of inspecting the deck of cards Dog had.

Uh, this might be a bad time to ask, or maybe it's not the most important thing right now, but what's Cribbage?

A card game.

I gathered that, genius.

Surprisingly enough, I actually know the rules.

You do?

This might sound far-fetched, but learning the rules actually became quite critical for one of the cases I was protecting.

Seriously? That sounds interesting.

[BGM: Steadfast Gallop]

You would think. Anyways, the point is I know the basics.

Like pretty much every card game, there's a dozen variations, but here are the basics. Every round, each player draws 6 cards. Also, a separate community card is shown face-up.

They choose two cards to put in the crib, and hold four to play. Then they take turns placing those cards down, approaching 31. Face cards all count as 10s, Aces count as 1s.

If a player can't place another card down without bringing the total above 31, a new stack is formed. All the while, players can score points based on various things.

A point if you play a card the opponent just played. Bonus points if you get three or four of a kind in a row. Points if you play cards in a sequence. Points if you play a card which brings the stack's total to 15. A point if you're the last person to play a card on the stack. Bonus points if you play a card that makes it directly 31.

After the hand's played out, both players take their four-card hands back and score them. They can use the four cards and the community card to look for things like pairs, sequences, or unique ways to add up to 15. In rare cases, there can be a flush with four cards of the same suit.

If your opponent overlooks a point, you can call 'Muggins' and take that point for yourself. After that, the crib is scored using the same rules. Every round, who the crib's score counts for changes. So in the first round, the points in it could go to Horse, the next it would go to Dog.

And like they said, the first person to reach 140 points wins.

Wow. That seems pretty complicated.

Most games do when you just explain them, but it's really pretty simple when you start playing it. Basically, it comes down to two things- how do you divide the 6 cards you draw between your hand and the crib, and how do you play that 4 card hand.

Experienced players never miss a point opportunity, so Muggins almost never comes into play. It's more about focusing on how to score points, and more importantly how to deny your opponent from scoring points.

Alright, thanks for the explanation, Ox. Now I feel like I can follow the game pretty well.

While Ox was explaining this to me, Horse and Dog began to play. Horse sat in his chair stiffly, with a determined look on his face. Dog, on the other hand, leaned back in his chair and had a slight smirk on his face. Still, in these early rounds, Horse took quite a lead. In just two rounds, he was up 12 points on Dog.

Guess I didn't have to worry after all.

Yup, this looks pretty bad. But this is to be expected- I'm still getting in the groove of things. Gambling's all about feeling the flow.

Sounds like the mantra of a worthless gambling junkie. And Cribbage isn't gambling.

Just then, Tiger and Snake walked in.

Hey, what's going on here?

A game of cards, eh?

This is certainly an interesting turn of events.

We explained to them the events that happened before they got there.

Oh my.

So Dog's gone rogue, huh? Figures. Low energy guys like that always end up taking the easy way out.

He's playing for his life at the moment. I would hardly call things 'the easy way out'.

Actually, if used properly, this Major Trinket could be massively useful. If there was someone trustworthy enough, everyone could agree to lose to them and let the trustworthy pillar find out who has a special personality.

Ha. You don't really think people'd be eager to willingly trust their life to someone else, do you?

There's also no guarantee that a traitor wouldn't pretend to throw the game and instead win, killing the trustworthy pillar.

Valid concerns.

Hey, where's Rooster?

Him? He was pretty uninterested in this 'challenge' business. He said that if the Round was going to be paused, he'd use that time searching for more Trinkets.

Hey, that's not a bad idea!

I walked over to Horse and Dog.

Both of you, hold on!

What is it?

How about you guys take super long turns. Then, while the timer is paused, the rest of us can find all the Minor Trinkets!

As I proposed this idea, a familiar voice spoke from our tablets.

Not so fast. I'm watching these games, and if I even suspect that the players are intentionally slowing things down, I'll execute both of them!

What? No fair!

Don't try to abuse my items. They should fill their intended purposes.

drat.

Nice idea though, Mouse.

Yeah, well, thanks.

At any rate, I should take advantage of this, right?

Now that we're on a route proper, the choices we make here will influence what endings we may or may not get- including the potential for Bad Endings! :v: In any case, the thread voted to stay and watch the game, so that's what we're going to do.

While looking for Trinkets made sense, I felt uneasy about leaving the situation. Right now Dog was casually using a Major Trinket which could lead to his death. Something wasn't right here. I had a feeling that the whip would be central to this whole race. Ignoring it to find Minor Trinkets seemed like a short-sighted plan in the long run.

So instead, I took a few steps back and watched the game progress. Ox's explanation helped me follow the general gist of how things were going. Slowly but surely, Dog regained ground in the struggle. It wasn't any major round, but as the game played out, he started to take the lead.

A good few steps away from the action, Ox spoke to me in a hushed tone.

Fascinating.

What, the game? It's interesting enough to watch

No, not that.

[BGM: Bullfighter]

It's something I've noticed about how the game's been played. If you notice, every single round, Dog puts his cards in the crib after Horse does. I mean consistently. And this is despite the fact that usually Dog is making his plays faster than Horse.

Okay, and?

It just has me thinking why he's doing that.

You have a theory?

The longer the game's gone on, the more Dog has been winning. I didn't think it possible, but he might be slowly marking the deck.

What?

It would explain why he's waiting for Horse to decide which cards are going in the crib to make his own move.

Typically, card marking is a process that happens on the deck beforehand. Subtle tintwork or juice dust can tell cheaters exactly which cards are where, and it's practically impercievable.

But I think Dog might be doing his own, practical card marking by subtly scratching and bending the cards in specific places.

But isn't that crazy difficult to remember all those handmade tells?

Hard? Sure. But far from impossible.

Hold on a minute, that would be cheating, right? Shouldn't he be executed right now?

Remember, the rules specified that you'd be executed if you were caught cheating. He hasn't been caught.

So should we say something to Horse?

I'm not sure we can.

Huh?

The rules also forbid any non-players from interfering with the game. It's possible something like this could be considered an exception. But it's also possible that the only people who can call out cheating are the players themselves.

For now, let's just watch things play out.

Okay.

I felt uneasy letting Dog cheat like that, but I didn't really have a rebuttal to what Ox said. I guess I'd just have to let this happen.

The game continued, and Dog continued to gather more and more of a lead.

Now that's peculiar.

What's peculiar?

Dog has drawn far more 5s than Horse has.

And that matters because...

In Cribbage, 10s are by far the most common digit since all face cards count as 10s. And you can get easy points by making a 15. So 5s are often super useful cards to put in your hand or your crib.

They're taking turns shuffling the deck. I wonder if Dog's somehow forcing certain cards during his shuffles. If that's the case, he's gotta be an experienced card shark.

Jeez. No wonder Horse's losing. This is brutal.

Nothing changed in the game's final moments. After an uneventful round where neither side did much better than the other, Dog passed the 140 point line.

Heh. Looks like I got lucky.

poo poo. I'm sorry Dad, I let you down.

No no, it's not that dramatic. Sometimes the cards fall in unexpected ways.

Still, that was some pretty impressive play, Dog. I have to ask, are you a card shark of some sort?

A card shark? That's definitely an overstatement. But I do play cards with Chief of Police Bowen and his friends every now and then, so maybe I picked up something from that.

S-so, what happens now? Dog can control Horse?

I should be able to, yup. In fact, I want to check out how this works right now.

As he said this, Dog walked into a nearby empty classroom and shut the door.

Tch. Who does he think he is, just strolling around and doing whatever the hell he wants.

It is indeed a cause for concern. Let us hope his intentions are noble.

Just as Monkey said that, all our tablets had an announcement.

Attention! Dog is currently attempting to tame Tiger. During this challenge, the Round's timer has been paused. Know that any participant that in any way interferes with the challenge will instantly be executed.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

...yeah, he's basically gonna try to tame most players, right? Cause unless they can catch him cheating there's pretty much nothing they can do, and he seems the type to catch on cheaters as well.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

man, did the Jade Emperor just half-rear end this death game or what? competent ones don't need to write in more rules ad hoc like this

also hey now's a great time to tell people that Dog was marking cards; might not be able to tell tiger, but everyone else should be able to be told

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

…I somehow missed that the whip didn’t have a limit on usage.

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
Yeah, the whip seems potentially pretty OP. It's mitigated by the fact that the one being tamed picks the game... but if all the options are card games, then someone who's able to subtly mark cards has a good chance of gaining full control of the game. (Plus the one being tamed might feel guilty enough at the prospect of killing the tamer--and any other previous tamed players--to throw the game.)

Can someone just wrestle the whip out of Dog's grasp after the next taming game...? I don't recall any rules against taking trinkets from other players by force (which creates its own issues for game balance in and of itself, when some of the players appear to be significantly physically stronger than others).

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

You do not need to physically hold the items to use them, they all have a passcode attached (which is input into the tablet). You can use the code of an item someone else is currently holding, you just both can't use the same item at the same time. :eng101:

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
Ah, got it. So someone would need to prevent Dog from leaving to use his tablet to keep him from going for Taming Attempt #3... but they're going to have to let him go on his own to take his turn eventually, or else he'll die (and take Horse and Tiger with him). I guess someone's going to have to tame Dog to stop him permanently, which is... problematic if there aren't any game options Dog can't subtly cheat at.

Hey, I wonder if *that* has something to do with his personality type--if getting tamed is somehow beneficial to Dog. (Which I guess would make sense for the species, if not Dog as a person.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
He's definitely going for the people most likely to be able to overpower him to keep him from using his tablet first.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

[BGM: Hear No Evil]

What?! He's challenging another person?

What's this? There's a list of games on my tablet!

This is starting to become a bit of a concern.

Dog exited the room clearly trying to hide a grin. He clearly seemed to be enjoying our frustration quite a bit.

Dog!

What's up?

What are you doing?

Trying to tame everyone, that's what. By the by, Horse is clear of being a traitor: he's just 'determined'.

Did you choose me because you suspect me?

Partly, yeah.

How can you suspect me? I've been for the team this whole time!

That's why I suspect you. I just don't buy that someone could be that positive.

I'm going to take that as a compliment.

Point proven. Anyways, choose a game to play.

Uh, right. Well definitely not a card game, can't do that. Let's see here...

Tiger looked over the list.

Darts are kinda like small javelins, aren't they?

Not really.

Darts seem fun. I want to go with darts!

Okey dokey, let's get things set up.

Dog walked over and picked up some of the darts. He then started to set up the dart board.

[BGM: Queen of the Jungle]

What do you think Dog's plan is?

I really can't tell. It's hard to read him. For now, let's just see how things play out.

Is that really the right move?

Maybe?

Dog was finished setting up.

So how are we playing this?

Why are you asking me? I don't know the rules of darts.

You WHAT?!

Dog started laughing uncontrollably to himself while Tiger shrugged.

Never got around to learning.

Then. Why. Did. You choose. To play it?

Seemed fun.

It is fun!

Tiger, your life could be on the line!

Pig, I always play like my life's on the line!

But this time in a very literal sense it's true.

Hell yeah it is!

Don't worry Tiger, I'm sure you'll be great at this.

What a trainwreck.

How amusing.

Since you're a novice, we'll make it a short and simple game. Basically, we'll each throw three darts each. Each dart will score points equal to the section it's in.

Landing in the outer ring will double whatever that section's worth, and landing in the middle ring will triple what it's worth. Landing in this center circle is worth 25 points, and this inner circle is 50 points.

Simple as that!

Alright, I think I got the gist of it. Could I have a couple of practice throws before we start?

I don't see why not.

Cool.

Then, Tiger began to throw some practice darts. Despite them decidedly not being 'like tiny javelins', Tiger picked up on throwing them surprisingly quick. Throwing them like one might pitch a baseball was certainly a questionable method, but it seemed to work out for her. I began to think Tiger might have an actual shot at this. Which...

Was that good? Bad? It seemed bad. I didn't want Dog to die. However, he was doing pretty reckless things without bothering to explain himself. It was making me- it was making all of us very uneasy. He clearly expected people to fight back, and didn't seem overly bothered by it. Why? He was just acting too strange for me to get a good grasp on the situation.

So when Dog and Tiger eventually began their contest in earnest, I couldn't really cheer for either side.

Alright, let's go!

May the best dart-er win.

Sure thing.

And like that, Tiger began her turn.

She closed her eyes.

She breathed heavily.

And then, in an instant, her arm shot out and a dart slammed into the dartboard. It was fairly close to the center of the board, but not centered enough. It ended up sailing into the 19 point section. 19 points. Not necessarily a bad score, but not a great one either.

Agh. Man, my bad there. Lousy start.

It's fine, it's cool. I'll do better next time. No need to start freaking out. I've got this.

After talking to seemingly no one, Tiger immediately threw another dart without warning. An odd technique, but one that worked out. Tiger had scored a Bull, though not a Bull's Eye.

Okay, okay, that's what I'm talking about! Just a bit more on center. I'm going to let the inner-me handle this one. Let's go!

Tiger stared daggers at the dartboard like it was her worst enemy. Then she threw her dart with an incredible amount of force. It soared straight ahead and hit the dartboard in its dead center. Bull's Eye.

Yes!

Not bad, not bad at all.

So, if we add up all your darts, you've got a score of... 50 plus 25 plus 19, that's 94.

94? drat. For a beginner that's pretty exceptional.

Think you can top that?

I don't know, this might be the end for me.

Dog said this, but his casual tone indicated he wasn't particularly worried for his life. He was a bartender, wasn't he? Plenty of bars had dartboards. Ever since he had heard that darts were the competition, he'd seemed even more relaxed than usual. I knew that even with Tiger's impressive performance, it wouldn't be enough.

Okay, guess it's my turn. Let's see if I've still got it.

Dog lined up the dart and the dartboard. With little more than a push of his wrist, he sent the dart lightly sailing into the dartboard. It landed in the 20 section, just a bit over the middle ring.

A little high there, my bad.

He tried again, and this time the dart landed slightly below the middle ring in the 20 section.

Oof. I'm in a real spot of trouble here. I need to score, what, a 54 this turn to tie?

Hope I can do it, my life depends on it, oh no!

In a sing-songy voice, Dog lamented his position, before sending his third dart right into the middle ring in the 20 section. 20 times 3 is 60. Dog's score totalled to 100. He was the winner. He extended his hand out to Tiger.

Good game. You've really got skill for a beginner.

Thanks. Guess I should've been a bit smarter with my choice of challenge, huh?

I think this game was very on-brand for you. I'm glad you chose it.

Of course you're glad she chose it, it let you easily win!

Yeah, well. Yeah.

So what now, Dog?

Right, what's the next step, huh?

I guess we'll start with Tiger and Horse confiscating all your tablets.

What?

[BGM: Eyes of the Dragon]

In an instant, whatever kayfabe of friendliness we had shattered. The root of my looming dread had appeared.

Dog, what are you talking about? Why would they do that?

They'd do it because I'm going to order them to, and if they disobey they'll almost certainly die.

But why are you asking this of us?

Guess there's no point in being coy.

I have the victorious personality.

Huh?

You loving serious?

I make a lot of bad jokes, Dragon, but even I know there's a time and a place.

It's really a pain, having this special role and all. And I get it, you all are obviously going to have a problem with myself living while you all die.

That's fair. I'd want me to die, too. Hell, I'd normally be up for it!

But I guess I have some duty to see things through.

Duty? What are you talking about? A duty to kill 11 other people?

A duty to put an end to the ghosts of years ago. And I won't be killing 11 people, only 9. If you remember, I can win with up to 2 other people.

Horse, Tiger, you simply have to do as I tell you, and you'll both be able to survive.

Seriously?

You're making us your puppets?

Puppets is such a harsh term. How about comrades?

This is loving bullshit! You think we'll take this sitting down?

I'd like that, but I doubt it. Which is why I got the two strongest fighters here on my side. They'll take care of you lot, and then the three of us will be done.

Simple, right?

But they're not going to go along with this, right?

...Right?

… I dislike you, Dog. Your attitude, past, entire being. But I understand. There are some times in life where you must be selfish.

This is one of those times.

Horse!

If there was a more peaceful way, I would find it.

That's the spirit. And Tiger?

Are you saying I can survive if I turn my back on my friends?

I'm saying you'll definitely die if you don't.

Also, 'friends' is pretty strong, considering you met these people earlier today.

Tch.

I've got over a hundred things left to do.

But they'd all be worthless if I was the type to let others die to save my skin!

Then Tiger, are you saying...

Even if I die, I'll never betray the group!

Ugh. You know I can't stand your type. Positive to a fault.

You're the type to talk about what a great day it is before people have had their coffee, aren't you? I should've figured we wouldn't be compatible.

Bad choice on my part. Alright, let's try this again.

Without warning, Dog jumped into a nearby classroom and slammed the door.

Hey! Get back here!

Tiger ran over to the door, but before she could open the door, an announcement played on our tablets.

Attention! Dog is currently attempting to tame Dragon. During this challenge, the Round's timer has been paused. Know that any participant that in any way interferes with the challenge will instantly be executed.

Dragon's face flushed. Everyone's face flushed.

Another stupid game would be played, but this time it was everyone's life on the line.

Mix. fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 10, 2022

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm actually impressed with how quickly things are popping off here, relatively speaking. It's another nice twist on the usual formula of these games!

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

loving christ people have someone punch him out while he's monologuing

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
Well, at least we have an explanation. (Though there's always the chance that Dog is lying about his personality.)

But come on, guys, surely there's enough people in this room to tackle Dog and sit on him until everyone else figures out what to do, especially since Tiger's clearly stated that she's not willing to work for him.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
I hope that the roles swap a bit between routes. Unless he's lying, I don't think it would be very fun for everyone to have the same roles every time.

Curious to see how Dog (as Victorious) could possibly win without taming the majority of the jury to the Dog Faction.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
We're far enough in that I feel comfortable in saying that, as someone who has experience with this game, I knew the 'trick' behind the pre-thread poll that sent us on this route, and thus, this was one of the three routes I voted for doing first intentionally. I won't say anything more than that, however.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Junpei posted:

We're far enough in that I feel comfortable in saying that, as someone who has experience with this game, I knew the 'trick' behind the pre-thread poll that sent us on this route, and thus, this was one of the three routes I voted for doing first intentionally. I won't say anything more than that, however.

Stop this weird hinting "as someone who's played this game..." stuff, please. It adds nothing to the thread.

NeoRonTheNeuron posted:

I hope that the roles swap a bit between routes. Unless he's lying, I don't think it would be very fun for everyone to have the same roles every time.

Curious to see how Dog (as Victorious) could possibly win without taming the majority of the jury to the Dog Faction.

Oooh that's an interesting point, I hadn't considered roles swapping between routes. That would be a nice way to shake up the dynamics, since this particular route's situation is really only unfolding because of Dog's personality.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
Finally caught up! I'm trying to think if there'd be any advantage to Dog lying about being the Victorious personality. The idea brought up earlier in the thread that "Victorious" and "Defeated" don't actually exist as personality types is interesting since it allows everyone to get out alive as alluded in the beginning and it followed the section about separating lies from truths.

I can't see any advantage to claiming Victorious though, other than perhaps ensuring the loyalty of who you tamed. But if you pass at the same time, you don't need to be the Victorious type!

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I meant to leave this vote here earlier but got distracted, but we have another vote coming up for next update! (yes, already)

I can't give any context for it, but the choice itself is pretty cut and dry- do we trust Bunny with the whip code, or do we try to make a run to use it ourselves?

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
By the sound of it, we're getting in on the taming game, and it seems like the code is sufficient to make challenges. :( That feels like a bit of a letdown, but whatever.

Bunny has been quiet the past few updates. It's very hard to predict the consequences of either path. I think there'll be too much chaos if we leak the code, so let's just do it ourselves.

Geez, this whip major trinket changed the entire flow of the game!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Bunny because letting an npc with an actual character do it will be more interesting than our pc.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Use it ourselves!! Let's get all the Pokemon!

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Bunny. So far, Bunny seems to be the one who understands Dog the most. If there's anyone who might be able to guess Dog's thought process and move to counter it, based on the knowledge we currently have, it's Bunny.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021
The answer is obviously to use it ourselves on Dog and take over all his minions in the process.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

OneWingedDevil posted:

Finally caught up! I'm trying to think if there'd be any advantage to Dog lying about being the Victorious personality. The idea brought up earlier in the thread that "Victorious" and "Defeated" don't actually exist as personality types is interesting since it allows everyone to get out alive as alluded in the beginning and it followed the section about separating lies from truths.

I can't see any advantage to claiming Victorious though, other than perhaps ensuring the loyalty of who you tamed. But if you pass at the same time, you don't need to be the Victorious type!

The advantage to claiming Victorious is that it lets you play to win without immediately losing every shred of sympathy, whereas doing so when you can win as part of the group will probably get others to turn on you. Granted, you have to be a pretty awful person to do this, but if you want to be a pretty awful person but mask it as being a fairly ordinary "afraid-to-die" person, it's a good method.

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
Given Bunny and Dog's shared contentious past, giving Bunny the code so he can try to tame Dog is guaranteed to be a drama-bomb.

So let's trust Bunny with the whip code.

Re: falsely claiming Victorious... I can imagine someone might try it as a gambit to try and suss out the real Victorious person. After all, if you falsely claim you're Victorious, the only person who 100% knows you're lying (leaving out the possibility of multiple Victorious people, but the Jade Emperor's wording seems to state that there's one Victorious and one Defeated) is the actual Victorious person, which would mean they might react slightly differently to you than the other players. The fact that Dog has worked as both a police officer and a bartender gives him a background where it seems like he might consider himself fairly good at reading people.

And if Dog was lying about his assigned personality... watch the real Victorious person be Bunny. :cheeky:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Let’s use it ourselves. I forget whether there’s an ex- attached to Bunny’s cop status, but…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Let's see what happens when we have a Kitten Bunny With a Whip!