Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

delightful posted:

Let him end up with scientist lady he keeps helping. Also please end this show after this season, it can only get more melodramatic from here.

Just as long as they don't follow the road map of Trilogy and have Ben's next experience with her be when she's a little kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
For a brief moment during the last episode I thought they were gonna make the love interest girl be Sam’s daughter before I thought about it for a second and realized that wouldn’t make a lick of sense

doesnt mean they won’t try to make it so somehow

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I am fully onboard with Ben continuing to meet Hannah. I don't even care if it's just Ben calling Hannah up randomly when he's on a leap. I like the idea of there being someone in the past that also helps Ben. Kind of like a Doctor and River Song thing.

delightful
Jul 20, 2022

Cojawfee posted:

I am fully onboard with Ben continuing to meet Hannah. I don't even care if it's just Ben calling Hannah up randomly when he's on a leap. I like the idea of there being someone in the past that also helps Ben. Kind of like a Doctor and River Song thing.

Ahhh I didn't even consider that, but Ben contacting Hannah for help during leaps would be great. If they find a way to make the hologram-helper unavailable for the episode and have Hannah help determine the fix, that would be great.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

My rewatch of the original continues and I just got to the episode where Sam leaps into a pregnant woman who is about to go into labor. Some A+ physical acting by Bakula in that one along with an increasingly exasperated Al, so good. Probably gonna have to watch it again tonight.

Anyway I went down a rabbit hole a bit and found a guy who makes replica props from some sci-fi series and he's got a replica handlink from the OG that lights up, plays all the sounds, whines when you hit it, etc. Just incredible, I think I need one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CuuyMYATWc

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

God I thought we were so close to Addison saying she was gonna gtfo

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I hate to say it, but this episode was just bad. I'm trying to accept that the rules of Quantum Leap no longer apply (timeline you can leap into), but this was just "Generic trope of Salem Witch Trials shoehorned into Quantum Leap". It didn't really bring anything new to the show.

Ian's girlfriend is totally evil, right?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The reason the original series stayed within the lifetime of the main character was 1) to make a show that focussed on social issues and a specific period of cultural change but also 2) to keep the show grounded in recognizable human emotion and relatable stories. I remember an interview with Don Bellisario where he explained that it would be stupid and sensationalistic to have Sam in ancient Rome wearing a toga. The new show has that silly sensational thing going on with some of these stories. The seventeenth century is an utterly alien culture to us in the present. How can you tell a human-level story about it?

delightful
Jul 20, 2022

Sirotan posted:

God I thought we were so close to Addison saying she was gonna gtfo

Such a tease. Addison is easily, EASILY, the worst part of this show, I'm all aboard the Ben-gets-an-across-time-girlfriend and Addison fades into nonexistence train.

delightful
Jul 20, 2022
I think it's worth adding that, despite my dislike for Addison, I want this show to succeed. I love it's premise. I love the original Quantum Leap. I want this show to stick around long enough to get a Sam Beckett closure episode. I like Ben, Magic, Ian, and Jenn. I even like Janis. I think I would like Addison if there was no Ben/Addison relationship at all.

This show is a case study in squandered potential.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

I AM GRANDO posted:

The reason the original series stayed within the lifetime of the main character was 1) to make a show that focussed on social issues and a specific period of cultural change but also 2) to keep the show grounded in recognizable human emotion and relatable stories. I remember an interview with Don Bellisario where he explained that it would be stupid and sensationalistic to have Sam in ancient Rome wearing a toga. The new show has that silly sensational thing going on with some of these stories. The seventeenth century is an utterly alien culture to us in the present. How can you tell a human-level story about it?

I mean I think you *can*, but it's probably hard to do in like ~50 minutes because you need to take time to show another society on its own terms for the audience to get invested in.

All they did here was a bad caricature of a past society with a couple of modern standbys mixed in (feisty independent minded Irish lass!) and a kind of hack take on a famous historical event. If they were going to go into the deeper past avoiding one of the best known events in American history would have probably been a good thought.

That was a dreadful episode.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Ever since "everyone has veneers" discourse started trending on Twitter, I've been noticing it more and more. And it was especially distracting in this episode when everyone was supposed to be from Pilgrim times and yet they all had perfectly straight white square teeth

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

Ever since "everyone has veneers" discourse started trending on Twitter, I've been noticing it more and more. And it was especially distracting in this episode when everyone was supposed to be from Pilgrim times and yet they all had perfectly straight white square teeth

Oh man I'm jealous it took so long for you. I've been cursed with the "perfect teeth ruin immersion" hex for a while now. Book of Boba Fett had me super annoyed because the guy stuck in the Sarlacc forever had the whitest teeth I'd ever seen

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

We've been using not having access to proper dentistry as a signifier for somebody being a poo poo person for so long that I'm fine with them not using that classist device here, but to y'all's point, I really do wish media would stop doing that.

Give me some protagonists with regular-rear end teeth.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I am really enjoying this Hannah plot. Normally I'd hate stuff like this, but they are actually pulling it off. What they are not pulling off is thinking I wouldn't notice that they had a commercial LED, a solid state capacitor, a tiny crystal oscillator, and surface mount technology back in 1961. I hope someone got fired over this blunder.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Lou Diamond Philips! Always like seeing him pop up in things.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Just caught up with the latest ep and am really liking Hannah, I hope (assume) we see her again. I was also really impressed with the sets and naturalistic lighting for all the scenes set in Egypt- turns out they actually went to Egypt to film on location, which is fantastic.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I would actually be okay if they have to end the series if it ends with Ben traveling in his own body to a time when he and Hannah can be together, and Addison and definitely-not-going-to-betray-the-team-to-bring-his-dead-wife-back live happily ever after

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
Aw dang I'm an episode behind, I just caught up with the witch trials episode which, as people have said, was bad

One nitpick out of a giant pile of possible nitpicks, at the end had they lit a big fire and then tried to throw an accused witch onto it. That's not how you do that, they call it "burning at the stake" because you tie someone to the stake first!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Medullah posted:

I would actually be okay if they have to end the series if it ends with Ben traveling in his own body to a time when he and Hannah can be together, and Addison and definitely-not-going-to-betray-the-team-to-bring-his-dead-wife-back live happily ever after

Ben leaps into his own body and then Hannah says "Oh, you're Asian? You were always a white guy when I saw you."

Sivart13 posted:

Aw dang I'm an episode behind, I just caught up with the witch trials episode which, as people have said, was bad

One nitpick out of a giant pile of possible nitpicks, at the end had they lit a big fire and then tried to throw an accused witch onto it. That's not how you do that, they call it "burning at the stake" because you tie someone to the stake first!

They weren't exactly the smartest people around.

MichaelFlatley
Nov 11, 2002
It's portrayed as romantic, but I can't help thinking it's really unfair of Ben to tell Hannah he loves her - after meeting her three times - when he knows she's spending years in between his visits waiting for him. And not even telling her he JUST broke up with his fiancée, who he also continues to see every day. Makes him look like a jerk imho.

delightful
Jul 20, 2022

Cojawfee posted:

Ben leaps into his own body and then Hannah says "Oh, you're Asian? You were always a white guy when I saw you."

**sucks teeth**
**grimaces**
"Ohhhh.... sooong"

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Sirotan posted:

I was also really impressed with the sets and naturalistic lighting for all the scenes set in Egypt- turns out they actually went to Egypt to film on location, which is fantastic.

The Volume is great and all but you really notice how bad it is against a plain old good shot.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Quantum Leap is back for the next few weeks. This episode was really fun.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I like the Ben and Hannah dynamic more so than him and Addison. I'm curious to see where they are going to take it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Unfortunately I think the next appearance will have her pissed because Ben "knew her husband was going to die and could have prevented it but didn't because he was selfish"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Just got around to catching up on this season (almost) in time for episode nine, and am I wrong or is this season way worse? I feel like Ben getting his memory back has just let the (terrible) present-day stuff leak into the actual leaps.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Man I hope the cliffhanger at the end of the season isn't too big because I'm pretty sure it's not gonna get a season 3. As much as I want it to be great the writing is just awful.

delightful
Jul 20, 2022

Medullah posted:

Man I hope the cliffhanger at the end of the season isn't too big because I'm pretty sure it's not gonna get a season 3. As much as I want it to be great the writing is just awful.

Yeah... It may have taken a whole season but I really like Ben Song as the leaper, but everything external to the leaps is so mind-bogglingly terrible. 3-way relationship drama might be the worst, laziest, drama imaginable so lets do 2 of it simultaneously. And now, oh no, Theo Galavan is here! Ugggggggggh. The premise of this show deserves so much better than what is is getting.

Edit: This is a show full of contrivances so I'm going to guess (speculation but spoiler tags in case im right) Gideon is going to end up being Hannah's son. I know the son is named Jeffrey, but hey maybe he goes by Gideon in the future.

delightful fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 13, 2024

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

So did anybody else sit through the last two episodes? I'm going through the last one right now and just lol, lmao

I'll spoiler things just in case and possibly also live post cuz this is dire:

I knew Gideon was Jeffrey like 3 episodes back but I was really hoping at the end of ep 12 after Ben saves everybody that maybe that would change the future and Gideon wouldn't be a dick anymore but, welp

The guy is what, 60 now and still has the emotional maturity of an 8yo? I guess that probably tracks for billionaires.

Why is he trying to swap places with Ben instead of just building his own Quantum Leap faculty?

Oh hell yeah Janice

Aw poo poo they're playing the original QL music. :3:

Gummy bear handset :3::3:

Why not just tell Hannah to get the kid some therapy instead of destroying his science project?

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 22, 2024

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Finale was better than I expected it to be once I realized what Gideon's plan was, but it was still garbage. Honestly the present storylines this season were almost offensively bad.

Quantum Leap has to be the least secure top secret government project there is.

I'm disappointed they went with cartoonishly evil billionaire, despite it being clear that's the direction they were headed. I was hoping for a higher level of complexity.

I honestly thought they were headed towards Tom being the big bad who had manipulated everything so he could use QL to bring his dead wife back, there were a billion red herrings with him and they just decided to Poochie him.

I can't see it getting a third season. I have to wonder if the end was setting up a return of Sam. They made it clear that the math homework allowed them to swap, and clearly they're both in the past now so does that mean Sam was pulled out?

I'm sure it'll end up being "the formula was wrong" if it's even brought up again.

The present storylines were so bad, and yet they were like 60% of each episode. Such a bizarre choice

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Alright the last 15min or so of that was pretty good even if the whole "Butterfly Effect Achieved" was hilariously bad. Also I thought the code was supposed to swap their places???

Scott Bakula is doing a play in NYC right now and I was gonna go see a performance that had him doing a Q&A afterwards two weeks ago. I couldn't go because (depressing personal spoiler) I had a horribly ill pet that I ended up having to PTS that day. Anyway, someone asked him about QL and he pretty much says he's not interested in joining the current show, so don't expect to see Sam pop up anytime soon or ever.

Edit: Bakula's response about QL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOJMnoLx5m8

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 22, 2024

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The way this show is going I can see them recasting Sam

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Deborah Pratt is an executive producer, no way they recast him.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Why is she given credit for ziggy for 18 episodes for the current show? Has Ziggy been talking this entire time?

Overall, I kind of enjoyed the finale. The big twist was telegraphed pretty hard but I liked the ending. Even if it's stupid, it could make things fun in any future seasons if there are any.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 22, 2024

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Sirotan posted:

Edit: Bakula's response about QL:

"I'm thrilled that there are so many people working on that show"
woof, talk about damning with faint praise

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sivart13 posted:

woof, talk about damning with faint praise

I think that’s a genuine sentiment when it comes from a working actor who has known what it’s like not to work.

It’s like how Kit Harrington chastised some interviewer or crowd response for suggesting that Game of Thrones should have ended earlier because that attitude is disrespectful to all the people who depend on tv production for wages to live and care for their families.

delightful
Jul 20, 2022
Good lord, once this show is canceled it should make a great study in wasted opportunity/premise.

Spoilers:
Gideon as Jeffrey was stupid as poo poo. Like, your dad was going to die, earlier/faster without Ben interfering. At least Hannah had that part right.

It's far fetched that Gideon could just take over Quantum Leap, even if he's a top govt contractor. But for him to take over QL and also just be like "yeah execute that guy"? WTF? So bad, just D- tier drama/stakes.

This hurts so bad because I think Ben has come into the role quite well. It could be interesting to have Addison on leaps with him, but I think it'll wear thin after 2-3 episodes... if the show gets renewed at all.

I just don't think they need the level of melodrama that they're going for with this show to make it successful. CW-tier lazy writing.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

delightful posted:

I just don't think they need the level of melodrama that they're going for with this show to make it successful. CW-tier lazy writing.

It certainly does feel like they didn't know what made the 1st series work outside of A+ chemistry between the two leads. It's too bad I think Raymond Lee is really good as your all around good guy in the role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I binged through the last 6 episodes. It's really really dumb, but if it's the series finale I'm glad it ends this way.

The writers of the show are still committed to this true love magical destiny thing about Ben and Addison. I don't like Ben and Addison together at all, but if you did, having them leap together for the foreseeable future is poignant in a way that the original series ending was poignant. Despite all these writer's attempts to disbelieve Sam's fate or undo it.

I was really rooting for Ben and Hannah, though. Hannah really outperforms the other characters as a Manic Pixie Time Wife.

Completely bizarre that the whole Tom thing comes and goes for no reason. I imagine the writers had a different idea before the strike, but scrubbed it as it seemed less likely the show would go on.

delightful posted:

Gideon as Jeffrey was stupid as poo poo. Like, your dad was going to die, earlier/faster without Ben interfering. At least Hannah had that part right.
We know that, and Hannah knows that, but I can see how someone outside the QL program wouldn't know that.

quantum leap s2e13 posted:

Ben: I tried changing his future, but some things just can't be undone, Jeffrey.

Young Jeffrey: You have a time machine. A time machine! And you couldn't save the one person... the person that I needed the most.
From Jeffrey's perspective, a time traveler made one half-assed attempt to save his dad and gave up. Without being the leaper it's hard to understand how fickle the Mysterious Force behind the QL leaps is.