Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I think syndication still does. My DVR is set to record the original on whatever channel that plays it currently, and while I can't necessarily identify that a particular track has gone missing, I do still often hear the original licensed music of the era. Not sure if it's all of it, but at least some measure of it is still there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
According to Wikipedia, the series was re-released on DVD and Blu-Ray in 2018 with "most" of the original music intact. I've only skipped around and checked a few spots and found that to be correct, but there was a LOT of music removed from the original set and I'm not OCD enough to go to every song and find out what's still missing from the re-release.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

OldSenileGuy posted:

According to Wikipedia, the series was re-released on DVD and Blu-Ray in 2018 with "most" of the original music intact. I've only skipped around and checked a few spots and found that to be correct, but there was a LOT of music removed from the original set and I'm not OCD enough to go to every song and find out what's still missing from the re-release.

FWIW I'm watching "Good Morning Peoria" on Peacock which according to a post on the Quantum Leap forums has the following songs removed -

quote:

GOOD MORNING, PEORIA
"Tutti Frutti" Performed by: Little Richard (Song is directly mentioned)
(OMITTED in the leap ending from "Blind Faith" however)
"April Love" Performed by: Pat Boone (Pat Boone is directly mentioned)
"All Shook Up" Performed by: Elvis Presley (OMITTED)
"Maybe Baby" Performed by: Buddy Holly & The Crickets (OMITTED)
"Sleepwalk" Performed by: Santo & Johnny (Unknown)
"Great Balls of Fire" Performed by: Jerry Lee Lewis (Song is directly mentioned)
"Yakkety Yak (Don't Talk Back)" Performed by: The Coasters (OMITTED)
"The Twist" Performed by: Chubby Checker (Song is directly mentioned while Sam is showing how to do the Twist)
"Jail House Rock" Performed by: Elvis Presley (OMITTED)
"Rock Around the Clock" Performed by: Bill Haley & The Comets (Group is directly mentioned)
"Sea Cruise" Performed by: Frankie Ford (Song is directly mentioned)
"The Glory of Love" Performed by: Brook Benton (Unknown)
"Shout" Performed by: The Isley Brothers (OMITTED)

And so far I've heard a lot of them.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I can’t imagine watching that episode without the original music.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I can’t imagine watching that episode without the original music.

The worst was when hologram Al is dancing with his wife, who thinks he's dead, but they changed the music to some generic nothing that wasn't even the right rhythm.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Teek posted:

One interesting wrinkle of this episode, was that Ben is actually inhabiting the body of the original person, which I guess also helps explain why there’s no one in the waiting room.
Shouldn't Ben's body be there? If they're planning to get him back, presumably he's got to have a body to return to. And if he's inhabiting the bodies of the people he's leaping into, do their minds swap into his body? Or are they unconscious the whole time? Or conscious but unable to do anything, helplessly watching as this weirdo from the future controls them?

I'm actually way more interested in the perspective of the leapees, in this story, than in Ben and friends. Like, if the waiting room exists, are they being fully debriefed on the program and sworn to secrecy? Are they left there with no information, thinking they got abducted by aliens or something? When they get back, they must notice that time has passed and they've apparently done things they don't remember doing. Or, in the worst case scenario, they remember being possessed by a man from the future. No possibility I can think of is good. If I woke up and discovered I'd blacked out an entire day (or however long) I'd go straight to the hospital where, I assume, it'd be taken pretty seriously.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m pretty sure the old show explained it by saying that time travel causes severe amnesia the first few times, so they wouldn’t really understand what was happening while in 1999 and presumably wouldn’t remember being there after they are returned. Of course, they broke that rule all the time, as was the style of the show. There’s one where Dr. Ruth gives Al marriage counseling while Sam’ thing is going on.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I AM GRANDO posted:

I’m pretty sure the old show explained it by saying that time travel causes severe amnesia the first few times, so they wouldn’t really understand what was happening while in 1999 and presumably wouldn’t remember being there after they are returned. Of course, they broke that rule all the time, as was the style of the show. There’s one where Dr. Ruth gives Al marriage counseling while Sam’ thing is going on.

I am not sure if its implied but my though is the leapee's memory is restored to whatever happened in their time period replacing whatever Project QL stuff they knew.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm guessing we'll get some kind of insight into this with Magic being a main character on the show.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
NBC just ordered more episodes!

Quantum Leap: NBC Orders More Episodes For Freshman Drama

”The article” posted:

NBC has ordered six additional episodes of Quantum Leap, bringing its season one total to 18 episodes.

The reboot is the season’s No. 1 new show in the 18-49 demo. Having debuted on September 19, it’s also the No. 1 current NBC season series on Peacock.

NBC’s follow-up series to Quantum Leap, which aired on NBC from 1989-93, is set in present day. It’s been 30 years since Dr. Sam Beckett stepped into the Quantum Leap accelerator and vanished. Now a new team has been assembled to restart the project in the hopes of understanding the mysteries behind the machine and the man who created it.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

That's seemingly good news. Hopefully the audience can build as the show finds a better groove.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Are they going to do a mid season break or something?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
That's awesome news, I wondered how it was ranking so far.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Good: Infodump about Magic. I figured he had something to do with re-establishing the QL project.

Bad: The show continues to poorly use tunes in a non-diegetic manner.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This episode got another part of the classic formula right in having a fun and charismatic guest cast. Even the dad who’s just in one scene.

Westworld crossover looks tight, too.

Edit: I agree that the score is jarring and unnecessary. It’s like it’s constantly trying to enhance a sense of surprise. The on-the-nose needle-drops of era-specific soundtrack songs aren’t great either. Commit to a full minute and a montage or don’t bother, imo.

I AM GRANDO fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 11, 2022

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

Good: Infodump about Magic. I figured he had something to do with re-establishing the QL project.

I had the biggest grin on my face when they did the reveal. It was a nice touch when Ian started getting emotional about it.

I AM GRANDO posted:

This episode got another part of the classic formula right in having a fun and charismatic guest cast. Even the dad who’s just in one scene.

It feels like everybody shined a bit brighter in this episode, especially Addison. I liked that she seemed to be having fun with Ben leaping into a woman.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Edit: I agree that the score is jarring and unnecessary. It’s like it’s constantly trying to enhance a sense of surprise. The on-the-nose needle-drops of era-specific soundtrack songs isn’t great either. Commit to a full minute and a montage or don’t bother, imo.

To be honest, I can take it or leave it. You can tell "We Got The Beat" was chosen so the pounding drums could start right at the montage. Using "Ballroom Blitz" for the bar chase scene was pretty good, though.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Jaxyon posted:

Actors are generally good, some of the production values are "meh" and the writing is OK.

Like,

"I speak several languages that I will not list here because we'll need them in future episodes we haven't written, but one happens to be romanian"
in fairness this is also something they did in the original show

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I (re?)watched "M.I.A." and "The Leap Home" from the original series in anticipation of watching Episode 4 because someone on Reddit told me I should.

This improved my watching experience twofold: in that I knew what Magic was talking about when he talked about it, and I got to see how hokey the actual show Quantum Leap was compared to my memory. Makes the 2022 show seem better in comparison than if you're coming to it from Better Call Saul or something.

It would be a real missed opportunity if Ian wasn't the observer at least once this season. Now that the main Addison drama is cleared up it would be nice for some of the co-workers to get a shot.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm guessing we'll get some kind of insight into this with Magic being a main character on the show.
Good call.

I like how they're both leaning into the OG series mythology and also moving the plot forward. We're 4 episodes in and they've addressed both Sam Becket's not leaping home and Ben realizing Addison is his fiancé. I would have expected both of them to be season-ending reveals.

This is solidly a sequel to the original.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Really happy about the Magic pay off. Amused they sidestepped the waiting room aspect. Also interesting that they apparently are introducing some aspect of consent on the part of the person being leaped into, which I guess is a valid thing never really addressed.

Music hasn’t bothered me too much, just happy they’re apparently spending the money to get era specific tunes. Hopefully that’ll carry over to later airings. I know Warehouse 13 back on Syfy paid out for some music which only ever played on the first showing of the episode, I think being removed on the second airing later than same day. Was very weird.

Teek fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 11, 2022

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

I think the use of music as non-diegetic may be due to a hybrid creative/financial decision. Think about the episode where Beth dances with Al’s memory to Georgia On My Mind. Because of streaming rights to the music, the scene just doesn’t hit as hard when they use some non-specific license-free music.

In the new series, if they fail to get streaming rights to the music, dramatic filler music wouldn’t feel so out of place. It’s a theory.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

That was a good episode of "Quantum Leap."

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

That episode felt proper Quantum Leap and balanced out the mission control folks. Although, I would love to hear Ernie Hudson talk all day. Talk about a smooth voice.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Ok. The ending gave me a big stupid grin. Love to see where this goes.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

they seem to have found their groove that's for sure.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’d love to see the scenes back at the project be about the team helping figure things out for Ben’s leap. I guess you need a b-story for a tv show, but it really undermines the a-story when there’s a completely disconnected other story with its own stakes and sense of urgency. Let’s see them use databases or reconstruct the old town to help Ben set up the trap or something.

Does that guy at the end appear anywhere else in the episode? I’m guessing he’s another do-gooder or at worst somebody just trying to hide out in the past vs an evil leaper or something. They should not touch the evil leaper stuff unless they make the decision to go as camp as the old show.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

Does that guy at the end appear anywhere else in the episode? I’m guessing he’s another do-gooder or at worst somebody just trying to hide out in the past vs an evil leaper or something. They should not touch the evil leaper stuff unless they make the decision to go as camp as the old show.

Yeah, midway through he's in the bar and hears Ben talking to Addy.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I really expected this one to end like S2E1 of the original series. Like after Ben saves the town, the adversarial senator woulda transmorphed into another person due to the national district lines changing significantly or what ever.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

I AM GRANDO posted:

I’d love to see the scenes back at the project be about the team helping figure things out for Ben’s leap. I guess you need a b-story for a tv show, but it really undermines the a-story when there’s a completely disconnected other story with its own stakes and sense of urgency. Let’s see them use databases or reconstruct the old town to help Ben set up the trap or something.

This is a pretty good idea.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That was really fun. I'm waiting for a moment when Addison has to go and then Janice comes out from around a corner to talk to Ben. It looked like she had her own imaging chamber thing, so I assume she's going to try to get in contact with Ben somehow. That guy at the end said Ben should stop following him, so I assume that person has been leaping to the same places Ben has. Maybe that guy is setting up things to go bad, and Ben is fixing them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I AM GRANDO posted:

This episode really misused its time. We jumped straight from "let's all work together" to "well, that went perfectly" for the sake of a pointless and completely disconnected B plot that completely fizzled out. If this is how they're going to use the present-day cast, the show would be better without them.

Sivart13 posted:

I really expected this one to end like S2E1 of the original series. Like after Ben saves the town, the adversarial senator woulda transmorphed into another person due to the national district lines changing significantly or what ever.
That would have been an improvement, because then at least there'd be some connection between the two parts of the show, but to make it actually work they'd need to establish some kind of deadline for Ben related to the present-day team. Like the project getting immediately shut down at the end of the inspection if they didn't pass, so he'd need to solve the problem not just to make the next leap but to prevent himself from being permanently marooned without support.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
The show is watchable enjoyable, but the small kinda things already most of ya'll have said would make it pretty good.

Less current timeline things that don't tie in, more Ben on his own in the leap. It would also be nice to settle in and get to the point of "Gotta get through a bunch of leaps and knock them out" and less worry about all the other stuff. A steady group of "standalone" episodes. Not everything has to be some epic mystery we drip learn every week.

For the most part, still looking forward to watching weekly and see where it's going and cool time travel spaces.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

First season handlink with original sounds!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That phone thing is straight out of the pilot of the original series. That and the scene where Ben is confused about remembering the earthquake seem like the only parts that could have been part of the pilot this was reworked from. That and the 90s handlink.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I don't know if this is a change or continuity error but Jenn said that when Addison is in the imaging chamber, she sees Ben as Ben. That was definitely not the case in the original series. Al would see Sam as whoever's body he was in.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't know if this is a change or continuity error but Jenn said that when Addison is in the imaging chamber, she sees Ben as Ben. That was definitely not the case in the original series. Al would see Sam as whoever's body he was in.

I think that was a loose rule that they kind of bounced back and forth on in the original series (currently rewatching it). It was a plot point the first time Sam leapt into a woman, Al had to go to therapy because he was "attracted to his best friend", but later in the series they sometimes commented on the person in the observation room (I specifically remember then commenting on the vampire)

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

bring back the waiting room damnit.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Mooseontheloose posted:

bring back Ziggy's voice damnit.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ziggy’s voice is one of the producers and the creator’s wife, so it could easily happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I AM GRANDO posted:

Ziggy’s voice is one of the producers and the creator’s wife, so it could easily happen.

Oh I know. It needs to happen. lol