Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

delightful
Jul 20, 2022
I am struggling so hard to care about this show, but this Addison stuff is just killing me. Please, for the love of god write Addison out. Ian, Ernie Hudson, hell even Janis would be a suitable replacement for the hologram companion. Hell, I'd go so far as to say Ian would make a GREAT replacement. Ian rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This was a fun episode with a fun concept. Agree with just writing Addison out. I don't care about the drama. I'm sure they will do something stupid where Addison learns to love Ben again, but I don't really care.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

I AM GRANDO posted:

The old show had a surprising number of episodes where Sam needed to sing, dance, or play an instrument to save the day. The new show needs more of that.

Yeah I thought they were closer to the kind of low stakes leap (after the LOL of the secret mission in Russia one) with this one - like, ok it's a bank robbery but maybe it's just to stop the brother going to jail and reconcile with his sister - but then it had to go NO THE GUNFIRE WILL SET OFF A GAS MAIN AND BLOW UP THE BUILDING. The stakes do not have to be literal life and death every time.

And on top of that, they do not need this love triangle/3 year time jump/future puzzle plot bullshit. The original show worked because it was just a good serial show with a human interest sort of problem to solve each week and some fun japes with Sam and Al. There was no need to mess with the formula.

At least I hope we're done with the Al's daughter plot, although I don't actually remember how the whole thing with her building her own imaging chamber and all was resolved.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I haven't watched any of this season but I was shocked that they have embraced the more social awareness episodes where Sam does slice of life but it also gives commentary of the social issues at the time.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
Liked this one, the mystery was preposterous but Raymond Lee's performance is great and the buddy dynamic between him and the old guy was fun.

delightful posted:

Please, for the love of god write Addison out. Ian, Ernie Hudson, hell even Janis would be a suitable replacement for the hologram companion.
magic's just saying what we're all thinking

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Feel bad for that waitress when she eventually gets that physics job and looks up the agent to thank him for his help and he's all "Who the hell are you?"

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Feel bad for that waitress when she eventually gets that physics job and looks up the agent to thank him for his help and he's all "Who the hell are you?"
in-show commentary: she had better chemistry with Ben than Allison, they should bang

out-of-show spoiler she's a new series regular so most likely it's another multiple leaper scenario or some other sort of time fuckery. Guess it could be a mini-Time Travellers Wife situation but that would involve committing to some specific leap timelines.

delightful
Jul 20, 2022
I'm so sad this is where they decided to take the show. Even within the shows extremely bad logic, Addison should be the last person at Quantum Leap to serve as the hologram. It's a conflict of interest that only serves to distract Ben. It should be literally anyone else, even the new love interest would be a better person to go in there and assist Ben.

I'm literally devastated that a show with so much promise is being bogged down by the very worst of CW-tier drama. They spent a whole season getting me to buy in on Ben and the supporting cast only to rug-pull with this extremely unappealing melodrama.

delightful
Jul 20, 2022
Also this Ziggy computer chip transmitting information back to some shady figure is basically character assassination of Jenn. Like, you can be the freshest computer janitor out of school and still monitor the traffic out of your network. I just... I can't man, this sucks.

To paraphrase everyone's favorite president, 'I'll keep watching this garbage'.... but it's quickly gonna be a hate-watch.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I keep forgetting that it’s on. Is it streaming anywhere?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Sivart13 posted:

in-show commentary: she had better chemistry with Ben than Allison, they should bang

out-of-show spoiler she's a new series regular so most likely it's another multiple leaper scenario or some other sort of time fuckery. Guess it could be a mini-Time Travellers Wife situation but that would involve committing to some specific leap timelines.

So I read your spoiler. Spoiler thought regarding that and last season's finale:

So was she the person we saw materialize at the end of S1? SOMEONE came back from the Quantum Leap Machine, so you'd THINK it was important, but no one has mentioned it at ALL in the "future"/present scenes (note: I have not seen the most recent episode, only up to the third one), so I guess it couldn't have been that important, right? But maybe it was a THIRD leaper (well...fourth if we count Sam from the OG series?) other than Ben or Martinez? But if it WAS this woman, you'd think she would have said "oh, BTW, I ran into Ben in a leap he has from your future, so, like...don't shut down the project for three years and marry that random fuckboy?"

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I thought the leap itself was a good 'un - no super high stakes (though of course the actor wasn't just going to be unhappy and sink into obscurity, DEATH would be the result) and the thing that needed to be done was just 'get this guy to make a good faith attempt to reconnect with his daughter'. Those are the kind of stories that original flavour Quantum Leap did really well, and then the more action-y ones were a neat change of pace when they happened.

I agree with the other people who have said that the Addison love triangle stuff is just braindead though and especially the idea that anyone would still be letting her be the hologram under these circumstances. It's so self-evidently dumb and done only so they can do a sad lost love story which will obviously end with Addison realizing she still loves Ben and then oh no the dude I'm about to break up with controls the fate of the program WHAT NOW.

The writers are still determined to do these overarching plot lines and I don't think the show needs it at all.

MichaelFlatley
Nov 11, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

So I read your spoiler. Spoiler thought regarding that and last season's finale:

So was she the person we saw materialize at the end of S1? SOMEONE came back from the Quantum Leap Machine, so you'd THINK it was important, but no one has mentioned it at ALL in the "future"/present scenes (note: I have not seen the most recent episode, only up to the third one), so I guess it couldn't have been that important, right? But maybe it was a THIRD leaper (well...fourth if we count Sam from the OG series?) other than Ben or Martinez? But if it WAS this woman, you'd think she would have said "oh, BTW, I ran into Ben in a leap he has from your future, so, like...don't shut down the project for three years and marry that random fuckboy?"

No-one came back at the end of S1. You see Ben start to appear and then not.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

MichaelFlatley posted:

No-one came back at the end of S1. You see Ben start to appear and then not.

Oh...I guess I'm bad at watching, I remembered it as being we see someone start to appear and the episode ends right before we see WHO.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
They were definitely implying that someone else came back at the end of S1. They may have never actually said that so they could easily retcon it, but it’s definitely implied.

Also Nth-ing the Addison love triangle stuff being DOA and dragging the show down. They could have at least written in some technobabble about how her connection to him makes her the only candidate to be the hologram, but they’ve had 2(?) other people do it so far? Maybe three? All of whom are better candidates.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
1 - The security at project Quantum Leap is atrocious. The rogue broadcast that they didn't catch, the general physical security, worst protected government project.

2 - In line with that, Ian telling their girlfriend all about the top secret project AND her getting upset that they didn't tell her about Ben... Ugh. She's totally evil, of course.

3 - Tom told a story about how he was after his wife died. Clearly he's got an ulterior motive being involved in the project to bring her back, thus ending the love triangle

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
Didn't find a lot to like about Episode 4. The show's insistence that every little problem Ben is fixing during the leap has to be tied to the last conversation he's had with Allison is a pain. It makes the leap characters more empty, they're just filling space in Ben & Allison's stupid love story.

they seem insistent on writing scenes like this

Imaginary Quantum Leap Episode posted:

1950s Child: Oh no, our cat is stuck in a tree!

Ben: I know a bit about what that's like. Sometimes you can feel stuck, in a relationship. Like the person, er, cat, you were with, you can't get to where they are anymore.

Allison: [frowns in the background]

Ben: But one thing you have to understand, there's always a way forward. Someday, and it might not be today, that person, I mean cat, you'll be close to them again.

Allison: [nods in background]

1950s Child: Uh, should I call the fire department?

at least Ben's ultimatum at the end of the ep may give some reprieve. Or we'll go straight to Tom as the hologram bedroom-whispering Ben through his latest time travel hijink.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It should be Tom telling Ben to try to nudge things so that his wife will survive.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I watched the new series up to the latest episode and then finding this thread helped me get into the old series. It's really good and I had some specifics I wanted to note but forgot them while catching up on the thread :)

IMO the new show is fine. I'd prefer it without the NCIS style crossover but :shrug: all science fiction got poo poo post-BSG and it's only in the last year or two are we getting back to basics with SNW reviving episodic Trek.

QL being mostly 24-style episodes didn't bother me too much because a) I had nothing to compare it to and b) now we're in season 2 it feels reasonably clear they're moving towards smaller styled stories. I don't think the threadposters are going to get what they want which is an exact retread of the original show, but I do think it's more able to stand on its own two feet.

Having watched maybe a season's worth of the original show, the original show had some high stakes too. I'll even do a breakdown of the episodes I watched and the consequences if Sam failed:

S1E1 - Tom dies flying the X-2 Prototype, Sam has to fly Mach 3. Also he has to save Tom's wife/their unborn child from dying in childbirth
S1E2 - Sam has to make a home run or a baseball team comes last
S1E8 - Sam's host's sister will be abused, also Sam can't leap until he kisses a girl? lol
S4E19 - Sam's host will die by shotgun, also he has to talk someone out of suicide
S2E22 - Sam has to stop two dudes from killing a man, but Al was obsessed with his wife
S3E5 - Sam has to stop a man from falling to his death. Also the devil is a literal antagonist of the episode? Lmao i love how wacko that is
S3E6 - Sam stops a man from taking advantage of and abusing women, also he has to win a southern belle contest lol
S3E7 - Sam has to stop a woman from being killed in a race riot

So... I can't be assed to properly reread and count but, 6? of the 8 episodes so far have been someone dying or being abused if Sam doesn't complete his task. Also the random episode I saw was about him saving his host's brother from dying on a film set I think?

Also it's really funny reading all the people annoyed at Addison being the hologram because the latest episode deals with that in a natural way, like, that's why that drama exists IMO. The drama is also precipitated by entirely normal emotions to deal with and I don't particularly mind them covering that?

e: oops accidentally a word

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 31, 2023

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Yeah, Battlestar Galactica is going to be seen as far worse than it was because of how many people were like, "oh, awesome. Let's do that, but poo poo."

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

This show has been sitting on my DVR for forever so I finally decided to start it once season two began airing. I managed to get through half of season one before deciding I had to start a rewatch of the original. God, it's just so good. I've gotten through 2 seasons of the OG and finally just caught up to present day in the new show and: why the gently caress didn't they take the opportunity to completely write off Addison in S2E2 when they had the chance??? Good god the melodrama is the absolute worst. Honestly the first two eps were kinda great, self contained stories with minimal future bullshit. They could have brought her back, broke the news that she's with someone else now, Addison goes back to her new job, Ben mopes for an episode or two, and we never mention her again. Instead we get a love triangle and the new boyfriend is the head of the project now, lmao. Based on how lazy some of the writing is, I assume we'll learn he's evil here at some point mid-season.

I don't really understand why they declared Ben dead after three years. I also can't believe they had Addison give up on him after only three years. Aren't they still actively looking for Sam? Obviously they don't assume Sam is dead. Why not just make the time jump longer? Or was this some kind of opaque reference to the Al/Beth situation in M.I.A.?

As a computer toucher I'm also rolling my eyes at this new plot line about the computer chips with the back door built in that nobody noticed for weeks? months? despite tripling their outgoing bandwidth. The former hacker turned security officer and genius programmer never noticed this. Sure. Ok.

At least I've got the OG to turn to now as a palette cleanser. It grabs you from the very first episode. The Sam and Al dynamic is just so entertaining and every episode is full of heart. This new show wishes it could be half as good.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

One additional gripe: what is going on with this show and the consistency of title cards? Some episodes start with text on the screen showing location and year, most don't. Season 2 started with a sideways "Somewhere over Russia". Gimme the episode title and date of the leap at the start for every episode, tyvm

delightful
Jul 20, 2022

Sirotan posted:

I've gotten through 2 seasons of the OG and finally just caught up to present day in the new show and: why the gently caress didn't they take the opportunity to completely write off Addison in S2E2 when they had the chance??? Good god the melodrama is the absolute worst. Honestly the first two eps were kinda great, self contained stories with minimal future bullshit. They could have brought her back, broke the news that she's with someone else now, Addison goes back to her new job, Ben mopes for an episode or two, and we never mention her again. Instead we get a love triangle and the new boyfriend is the head of the project now, lmao. Based on how lazy some of the writing is, I assume we'll learn he's evil here at some point mid-season.

It's so validating that other people agree with me about the Addison stuff this season because I was kind-of worried I was falling into the Breaking-Bad-Skyler-hate type black hole of haterism.

So this show is destined to return to the Addison-Ben love story status quo and the only way you can do that without seeming really lovely is to make Addison's new love interest evil. It's such lazy writing, as lazy as this dumb love triangle, and like.. I think the core premise of the show is enough without this. Who ever thought this show needed this kind of lame melodrama?

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

delightful posted:

It's so validating that other people agree with me about the Addison stuff this season because I was kind-of worried I was falling into the Breaking-Bad-Skyler-hate type black hole of haterism.

So this show is destined to return to the Addison-Ben love story status quo and the only way you can do that without seeming really lovely is to make Addison's new love interest evil. It's such lazy writing, as lazy as this dumb love triangle, and like.. I think the core premise of the show is enough without this. Who ever thought this show needed this kind of lame melodrama?

No, the twist for Addison's new fella is that a leap makes it so his dead wife is still alive / Ben leaps into a situation where she can be saved and he pushes the leap to that rather than what Ziggy is saying.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

delightful posted:

I was bored yesterday and jonesing for some QL content so I went and hit up r/QuantumLeap and yeah, the majority opinion seems to be everyone is loving the Ben-Addison dynamic. I don't feel like they have particularly great chemistry, personally.

This week's episode was pretty good, the balance of leap and present timeline seemed much better. I wish they'd let the leap storylines breathe a little more though, maybe make Ben's experience take place over a couple days and not just a couple hours each time.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hey guys, do any of you work at a top secret government project? If so, does your significant other often just pop in with your lunch?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I worked at the Stargate for a few summers in college and they let my ex in with Taco Bell if I bought enough to share. Stopped when they raised the prices of burritos, started being cheaper to just eat off world.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Sirotan posted:

I was bored yesterday and jonesing for some QL content so I went and hit up r/QuantumLeap and yeah, the majority opinion seems to be everyone is loving the Ben-Addison dynamic. I don't feel like they have particularly great chemistry, personally.

This week's episode was pretty good, the balance of leap and present timeline seemed much better. I wish they'd let the leap storylines breathe a little more though, maybe make Ben's experience take place over a couple days and not just a couple hours each time.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the Ben-Addison setup, I would prefer them to switch up who goes in until there is a good chemistry. I thought Magic was a good match.

This is one of the better episodes, it reminds me of a similar one from the original series. But I agree some time to breath and not just jump into it.

I also think I had the same shirt Ben was wearing in this episode. :lol: The 90s were terrible for fashion.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm really struggling to stay interested in this show. This episode wasn't terrible necessarily but the exterior shots are just so obviously the same set they use for most city based stuff it really pulled me out of it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Donald Bellisario and the original show were both every bit as preachy about social issues, but in the era they were still kind of ahead of their time, but a lot has changed since then.

It reminds me of how Joss Whedon never changed, and his brand of feminism fell waaaaaaay behind the times before it was revealed that he was a fuckin' monster anyway.

So, I like my sci fi preachy, but it also has to be *good* at it.

delightful
Jul 20, 2022

LividLiquid posted:

It reminds me of how Joss Whedon never changed, and his brand of feminism fell waaaaaaay behind the times before it was revealed that he was a fuckin' monster anyway.

If the Battlestar Galactica remake was made today it would have been called "woke" for making Starbuck a girl. I can only imagine the torrent of videos from dipshits like The Quartering or Critical Drinker.

I liked this episode a lot even if Ernie Hudson is an alcoholic mostly felt flat except for the Ben/Magic discussion about it. Magic as the hologram worked for me 100%. Would love to see that pairing for a while.

delightful fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 3, 2023

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

delightful posted:

If the Battlestar Galactica remake was made today it would have been called "woke" for making Starbuck a girl.
It was. It was just back when incel chuds were calling anybody in fiction not being a white dude PC.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The guy who played the original Starbuck was real pissy about it.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I didn't like this week's ep much

Hamfisted writing and acting: "I'm just a single mom trying to make ends meet!". I know the original series wasn't always much better but it felt extra weak here.

Treating the rioters like a faceless zombie horde, including our core group having to hold the stockroom door closed with their bodies.

The "good" black kid being afraid to go out because the cops would think he's "one of the protesters".

It's possible that some of the Korean Store Owners vs Protestor Mob thing is more accurate than I realize, but it reads to me like what someone would write having skimmed Wikipedia on the subject.

Magic's dropping out of the leap with "I can't do this". Maybe it was the writing or direction but I didn't find it believable that he would fall from the unflappable leader to having race riot PTSD just like that. Magic has always been all-in on helping Ben and the mission, surely he will falter at times but I don't think it would look like that.

Magic's relationship with Beth, spontaneous alcoholism and revealing it to Ben with all the tact of an after-school special.

I don't usually have a problem with this, but the way Ben is constantly having a full volume conversation with his hologram in confined spaces with maybe four other people around. There needs to be a place to resolve these interpersonal issues that isn't right in front of the ongoing historical drama.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Well, I mean, that is how PTSD works. You're fine and then something triggers your PTSD. I agree that the "You can always talk to me, too" "I'M AN ALCOHOLIC BEN" was a bit hamfisted.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Look, I know this show is Science Fiction.

I get that the idea of time travel is fantastic

But

How, when they're watching Ben from the future, do they get different camera angles when he's talking to people

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

If you can put someone in a chamber and show them a simulated environment it's trivially easy to grab different angles of that environment

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I don't think they've ever done it in the new series but in original flavour Quantum Leap Al got 'centred' on other people all the time to gather information from their point of view and bring it back to Sam. I guess they ditched that as even harder to explain how it worked.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
The leap plot was actually a lot of fun this week. Good Indiana Jones vibes. And if you want to add a romantic plot to Quantum Leap, the idea of the leaper falling in love with someone they keep encountering on their leaps is much more interesting than the “oh no I’m in love with my hologram” angle they were going with.

The present-time plot line was DOA, as usual. They need to drop that, as well as let Jenn be the full time hologram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delightful
Jul 20, 2022

OldSenileGuy posted:

The leap plot was actually a lot of fun this week. Good Indiana Jones vibes. And if you want to add a romantic plot to Quantum Leap, the idea of the leaper falling in love with someone they keep encountering on their leaps is much more interesting than the “oh no I’m in love with my hologram” angle they were going with.

The present-time plot line was DOA, as usual. They need to drop that, as well as let Jenn be the full time hologram.

I continue to insist that everyone-but-Addison is a great hologram. Ian, Jenn, Magic, or even Tom make a great hologram. I hope Ben keeps encountering his new leap-love-interest. I've really grown to like Ben as the leaper and if he and Addison never end up together again I'm perfectly ok with that. Let him end up with scientist lady he keeps helping. Also please end this show after this season, it can only get more melodramatic from here.