Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Imagine the billions of dollars and millions of work hours it takes an organization to end up with a wet fart of a play like that to end the game lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

sweet thursday posted:

Imagine the billions of dollars and millions of work hours it takes an organization to end up with a wet fart of a play like that to end the game lol

Please stop talking about last year's Cowboys:smith:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The Browns sold their soul and are now in first place in the AFC North

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

sweet thursday posted:

It's great

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/bepryor/status/1573154139571470337

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1573156411550343168

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
If Pickett isn't showing anything in practice to show he'd be at least as good as trubisky then welp I guess he's a bust

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Tomlin just biding his time until there's a good soft team for Pickett to succeed against.

So week 12 against the Falcons.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

joe football posted:

If Pickett isn't showing anything in practice to show he'd be at least as good as trubisky then welp I guess he's a bust
It's more that Tomlin is stubborn and very "Trust the Process" with how he runs the Steelers; see also: defending Matt Canada

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Mike Tomlin is a a scared idiot desperately clinging to dead end personal relationships and sacrificing any semblance of hope. This season is a loving disaster in the making. They'll be 2-6 going in to the bye, maybe 1-7 if they cough it up to the jets next week which seems fairly likely at this point. Worst of all they are loving boring as poo poo to watch. Just a putrid team all around, the amount of talent being wasted is absurd

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

joe football posted:

He was significantly better than Trubisky in the preseason and is capable of running AND throwing the ball over the middle. Though at this point if they're going to stick with the worst OC in the league then gently caress it, just keep him on the bench until next year when there's (hopefully) an actual honest to god OC in place

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Ocho Cinco came out on the post game show to tell Brissett how his stats went up in Madden or something? This is weird.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
I see tons of criticism of Canada but honestly the offense doesn't look, to an extremely unsophisticated fan like me, any different from other NFL teams. I know with the shambling corpse of roeth they had the insanely quick and short passing game with tons of WR screens. That poo poo absolutely sucked, but was maybe justifiable with his skillset. That really seems to be gone now and on the surface they're just doing the same stuff everyone else does. Which isn't very inspiring, but I don't think it's a bigger problem then Trubisky sucking

Though it is a little ambiguous, because the main way he sucks seems to be more in processing/decision making. When a guy is open and he sees it, the throws can look pretty decent if late. He just doesn't seem to be able to see much or figure out the optimal play in a lot of situations. So it's a little hard to disentangle that from the offense just being badly designed, but given Trubisky's history I'm way more on the side of him just being bad

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
It's the same piece of poo poo of poo poo predictable limp dicked excuse for an offense as last year. Except until tonight it was even worse because Najee has been visibly injured and slow and having trent richardson-esque vision when it comes to hitting running lanes. At least the offensive line has been better than the abject disaster they appeared to be in the preseason. This is all just a humongous waste of a ton of really good skill position talent.

A Gin Palace
Feb 12, 2013
titty status: unkissed

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I think I'm okay blaming Canada for a lot of the Steelers inability to do things. I mean is the Browns offensive talent much better? Better line and RB's, but the Steelers look to have great WR's and Brissett vs Trubisky isn't that much of a difference. The Steelers really shouldn't be as hapless as they are on offense.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

We found the Tomlin haters lmao

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
Jacoby Brissett surprisingly rules

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020
Why is Tomlin getting all defensive at questions about the offense when he decided to start Mitch in tyool 2022 lmao. Just admit he sucks and find someone else man

I have to assume management just tied his hands with Mitch and wouldn't look elsewhere bc god drat he's proven himself to not be a starter several times over

molestrios fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 23, 2022

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Kalli posted:

I think I'm okay blaming Canada for a lot of the Steelers inability to do things. I mean is the Browns offensive talent much better? Better line and RB's, but the Steelers look to have great WR's and Brissett vs Trubisky isn't that much of a difference. The Steelers really shouldn't be as hapless as they are on offense.

they're not backups because they can stand tall in a crumbling pocket. pass pro is always going to win out

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

molestrios posted:

Why is Tomlin getting all defensive at questions about the offense when he decided to start Mitch in tyool 2022 lmao. Just admit he sucks and find someone else man

I have to assume management just tied his hands with Mitch and wouldn't look elsewhere bc god drat he's proven himself to not be a starter several times over

There's barely any money tied up in Mitch, they aren't handcuffed to poo poo. Especially when you have a first round QB who already has 5 years of starting experience. And frankly, if you aren't even allowing a QB to audible out of loving plays then you don't trust him in the slightest and shouldn't be playing him to begin with.

Tomlin is overly loyal to his guys to a fault, be they players or coaches. Canada is the perfect example. Tomlin is buddies with him and shared a building with Canada in his only successful year as an OC anywhere with Pitt in 2016. Canada also recruited Tomlin's son to Maryland. Canada has loving sucked everywhere he's been other than 2016 basically but he's going to get every chance in the world despite being woefully incapable of running a productive college offense, let alone a pro one.

This is all just a gigantic waste of everyone's time, especially the viewers because this team is dog poo poo boring to watch

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
It's not hard to put together why Tomlin won't start Pickett. They know Pickett is not even backup ready and are desperately hoping to coach him up. Nobody is changing playcaller after week 3 either. It's a rebuilding year especially with TJ joining his brother in the afterlife. If Watts injury isn't the full disaster they'll scrape their way to around 500.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Sometimes what it comes down to is that football is a game of inches.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
I guess the Steelers had to bottom out at some point: you can defy gravity for a long time with salary cap shenanigans and good coaching, but eventually a coach surrounds themselves with lovely lackeys and/or the bills come due and/or your annoying weird all-time great QB fades/retires.

Though that last one doesn’t apply to the Steelers as much as the Patriots and Saints.

In any case, given their trajectory, I would be shocked if we don’t see Pickett under center this year, because Mitch Trubisky looks like the same jabroni who repeatedly failed to kiss titties in Chicago. Clearly the Josh Allen Experience is not infectious.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

It's not hard to put together why Tomlin won't start Pickett. They know Pickett is not even backup ready and are desperately hoping to coach him up. Nobody is changing playcaller after week 3 either. It's a rebuilding year especially with TJ joining his brother in the afterlife. If Watts injury isn't the full disaster they'll scrape their way to around 500.

If that were the case then Rudolph would be active on game days. Again, Pickett looked substantially better in every way during the preseason at least. They have the idea of 'we can't start a rookie for any reason' and they aren't moving away from it. Pickett started for 5 loving years, he's 24. Play him! If he's not ready now he never will be, this isn't a Trey Lance type player coming in to the league. Deal with the growing pains because there isn't an ounce of hope in a future of starting Tr8bisky and everyone in the world knows it except the coaching staff apparently. It doesn't help that Canada and the offensive players have been taking pot shots at each other all week long in the media. Things have unraveled extremely quickly.

As far as changing play caller, Canada should have been fired last offseason and the fact that he's survived this long is a miracle. It was all predicated on 'he can't run his offense because Ben isn't mobile!' and now that they have a mobile QB we still have the exact same garbage dink and dunk offense we saw last year.

Also even with Watt coming back around the bye this team doesn't have a chance of making .500 happen for once. If things stay this way there are only 3-4 games on the schedule I can really see as wins. It's a nasty schedule, especially leading in to the bye. They'll be buried by then.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Nate Tice pointed out all the run plays are motion heavy but the pass plays are completely stationary. Combined with the limited route tree, everything is ludicrously telegraphed. He said that the Steelers offense reminds him of a mid-tier ACC offense and guess where Canada cut his chops

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
Pickett is the same age as Hurts and Tua. Wild.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Steelers fans going full Kawalimus is not what I expected this year.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

You can get away with, say, Mahomes sitting his first year when you have Alex Smith. It's a lot harder when you're veteran QB is about 30% of an Alex Smith.

My gut is we see Pickett week 10 after the bye. The frustration will get too loud to ignore.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Week 3 Aftermath : Blame Canada

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the steelers bottoming out above my team in the rankings is epic

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Woozie66 posted:

More evidence that the 2021 Miami Dolphins offensive staff was a completely hopeless nightmare.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
My only regret is the browns had to get a win for the Steelers to take an L.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Woozie66 posted:

He's a good caliber backup. It's just a little weird that they replaced a dude who was basically the exact same level of player but was familiar with the offense.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

WalletBeef posted:

Week 3 Aftermath : Blame Canada
I would've gone with So THIS is a Brushing Scam, but this is a better thread title IMO.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Has there ever been a QB who was a Bear and then did extremely well on a different team after the Bears? I think we just ruin all QBs forever. Don't ever pick up a QB who used to be a Bear.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Kyle Orton very briefly.

Most QBs who end up starting for the Bears are already journey men who are just playing out the string.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Kyle Orton very briefly.
Kyle Orton forever!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Has there ever been a QB who was a Bear and then did extremely well on a different team after the Bears? I think we just ruin all QBs forever. Don't ever pick up a QB who used to be a Bear.

If you want to go way back, George Blanda, who was on the Bears in the 50s (Who mostly used him as a kicker) before going to the AFL when it started, and it was the stuff he did there and after that mostly got him in the HoF.

Of slightly more recent memory, Jim Harbaugh. He had some meh years under Ditka with the Bears and then became okay with the Colts for a bit in the mid-90s.

Maybe Kyle Orton qualifies? But yeah, there’s very slim pickings there for ex-Bear QBs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Ehud posted:

More evidence that the 2021 Miami Dolphins offensive staff was a completely hopeless nightmare.

My exact thought. Brisset has been well, Tua, this season after being dreadful. So, Tua should be a step or two above that.