Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
End game desperation plays turning into a defensive score are always choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

joe football posted:

I see tons of criticism of Canada but honestly the offense doesn't look, to an extremely unsophisticated fan like me, any different from other NFL teams. I know with the shambling corpse of roeth they had the insanely quick and short passing game with tons of WR screens. That poo poo absolutely sucked, but was maybe justifiable with his skillset. That really seems to be gone now and on the surface they're just doing the same stuff everyone else does.

Though it is a little ambiguous, because the main way he sucks seems to be more in processing/decision making.

I thought people were saying last week they weren't letting Trubisky throw down field?

You are right in saying his weakness is in processing.

He's basically one read if its not there he's looking to run if there's pressure.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The Browns don’t deserve anything good but Jacoby creating a QB controversy due to playing really well and leading their division when Watson’s suspension ends would be interesting.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

they won't have a controversy even if jacoby wins all his remaining games because this is his only year on the browns and somebody else will pay him more than the browns will/can if he does that well. i guess that's a reason for somebody to root for him now in a sense. but not really. Who They

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Cavauro posted:

they won't have a controversy even if jacoby wins all his remaining games because this is his only year on the browns and somebody else will pay him more than the browns will/can if he does that well. i guess that's a reason for somebody to root for him now in a sense. but not really. Who They

But does Jacoby keep starting this year?

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

Ehud posted:

More evidence that the 2021 Miami Dolphins offensive staff was a completely hopeless nightmare.

turns out the offensive line wasn't just historically bad for Tua

it looks so much better now

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

But does Jacoby keep starting this year?

Lol is this a real question? You don't pay a guy a guaranteed $230 million to bench him for a perennial backup.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Lol is this a real question? You don't pay a guy a guaranteed $230 million to bench him for a perennial backup.

Well then the optimal outcome is that Jacoby has them playing real well, Watson comes in, and they tank and miss the playoffs by a game.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Actually Mitchy was awesome last night I'll have you know.
https://twitter.com/KevinColePFF/status/1573314822749421570

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Diva Cupcake posted:

They gave him an 80.3 for the night somehow

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Has there ever been a QB who was a Bear and then did extremely well on a different team after the Bears? I think we just ruin all QBs forever. Don't ever pick up a QB who used to be a Bear.

This is a list of everyone that has ever thrown a ball for the Chicago Bears

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/chi/career-passing.htm

My dad had successful emergency heart surgery at the beginning of the month, and I had two panic attacks (one visiting him last week, a more-minor one earlier today overthinking about everything including the depression I'd already been dealing with pre-all of this). Seeing that list just now may still somehow be the saddest I've felt in September

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

PFF is really trying their damndest to get laughed off the stage this year huh

Nov 6, 2002

PFF is the perfect repudiation of the "wisdom of crowds".

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Diva Cupcake posted:

Once again we are all owned by "science"

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well then the optimal outcome is that Jacoby has them playing real well, Watson comes in, and they tank and miss the playoffs by a game.

yeah

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Is Jacoby playing that well? Statistically he seems pretty pedestrian, but I know they run the ball a lot.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ehud posted:

Is Jacoby playing that well? Statistically he seems pretty pedestrian, but I know they run the ball a lot.

Someone check his PFF rating!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Ultra Carp

Diva Cupcake posted:

I know this to be false because Mitch only plays good games against the Lions.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I would love this

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Ehud posted:

He is playing decent conservative football with a very good RB, an excellent Oline, and a couple good receivers to carry him. He's not doing anything special.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm really really rooting for Jacoby 8-3 Watson 0-6.

Ehud posted:

He's being very very efficient when he's asked to pass. He doesn't have blow you away TD or yardage numbers, but he doesn't need them. As for running, that's the thing, the Browns mostly just need to rely on running the ball and the passing just needs to be good enough to keep the defense honest and get the occasional surprise gain. This isn't a team that has a roster to be a pass centric team most likely, but they definitely can run the gently caress out of the ball.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Diva Cupcake posted:

Lol they gave Lamar a 66 last week

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Steelers fans going full Kawalimus is not what I expected this year.
At least we aren't going full racist like a lot of yinzers do when the Steelers lose

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I mean this was always the way for the Steelers though. They got dragged through last year by Ben being stubborn, and have a bad oline and no money to fix both. So they did what they could, and sending out the reclamation project vet to eat snaps until the rookie is ready and you're sure your oline won't kill him is fine.

It's just gonna be with a worse record 'cuz of Watt's injury and the defense being mediocre.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The Steelers may want to fight their annual urge to take skill players next year’s draft and actually invest in OL in the early rounds instead of trying to make due with mid-round projects

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

AndrewP posted:

The Steelers may want to fight their annual urge to take skill players next year’s draft and actually invest in OL in the early rounds instead of trying to make due with mid-round projects

Draft a receiver with literally every pick and because the Steelers are magical at doing that trade some of them for established talent at other positions after you show they’re good.

Nov 6, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Draft a receiver with literally every pick and because the Steelers are magical at doing that trade some of them for established talent at other positions after you show they’re good.

Pats/Steelers need to draft and swap Oline/WR with each other.

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

AndrewP posted:

Lol they gave Lamar a 66 last week

how does PFF's thing work with QBs. it's like, if a QB throws a complete pass to a wide open guy, that isn't as good as throwing a complete pass to a guy who is covered? something like that?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I have to imagine Mitch's best PFF game was the time he demolished Tampa Bay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Xac0xyeWWA

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Kalli posted:

I mean this was always the way for the Steelers though. They got dragged through last year by Ben being stubborn, and have a bad oline and no money to fix both. So they did what they could, and sending out the reclamation project vet to eat snaps until the rookie is ready and you're sure your oline won't kill him is fine.

It's just gonna be with a worse record 'cuz of Watt's injury and the defense being mediocre.

My hot take is that Najee Harris is the next coming of Trent Richardson

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

epic bacon posted:

how does PFF's thing work with QBs. it's like, if a QB throws a complete pass to a wide open guy, that isn't as good as throwing a complete pass to a guy who is covered? something like that?

It's an eye test that is assigned a number

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I know this to be false because Mitch only plays good games against the Lions.

Hey, he had a great game against the Bucs once, like four years ago.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

fartknocker posted:

If you want to go way back, George Blanda, who was on the Bears in the 50s (Who mostly used him as a kicker) before going to the AFL when it started, and it was the stuff he did there and after that mostly got him in the HoF.

Of slightly more recent memory, Jim Harbaugh. He had some meh years under Ditka with the Bears and then became okay with the Colts for a bit in the mid-90s.

Maybe Kyle Orton qualifies? But yeah, there’s very slim pickings there for ex-Bear QBs.

I totally forgot that Doug Flutie's first 5 games in the NFL were as a Bear and he did pretty well for himself eventually.

5 games probably isn't enough time to get the Bears stink on you.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

epic bacon posted:

Every play is graded from -2 to +2. Most plays are supposed to be 0's. With a QB, making the right decision and making a good throw in time are what's supposed to be graded.

That they are doing this from broadcast with no view of the receiver doesn't seem to come up in their methodology for some reason.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Kalli posted:

Every play is graded from -2 to +2. Most plays are supposed to be 0's. With a QB, making the right decision and making a good throw in time are what's supposed to be graded.

That they are doing this from broadcast with no view of the receiver doesn't seem to come up in their methodology for some reason.

What an incredibly lovely rubric that rewards inefficiency. They have insisted they’re using All-22 though.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

AndrewP posted:

What an incredibly lovely rubric that rewards inefficiency. They have insisted they’re using All-22 though.

They do, they put up grades immediately after the game, then claim once they have access to the all-22 they use that to re-grade.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

They’re also working in an environment that only benefits them when people getting mad at their lovely grades because Engagement.

At least DVOA/DYAR is a standard algorithm.

Nov 6, 2002

AndrewP posted:

At least DVOA/DYAR is a standard algorithm.

we *think*

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

the advanced metrics have gotten so whacky that i've reverted to being an eyeball test guy. there's 10 stats posted every week that says QB A is both the next budding superstar and also the biggest piece of poo poo that ever played

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

We need to combine the two and chart that level of dawg in him.