Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Colonel Cancer posted:

They call it the present because every second you are alive to experience suffering is a gift from god :)

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Pretty bad op, so I'm having a kid so we can suffer together.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Wizard Master posted:

Anyone else think this is all about to get really really bad ?

If you mean in America and due to the coming election, not especially. Things like infrastructure, QOL, health care, etc..., will all get worse for the majority of people, and a minority of voters will continue to elect republicans to a majority of federal representation and a super majority of governments that they will control due to gerrymandering and voter suppresion. And of course SCOTUS will continue to tear apart hard won progressive gains for the next few decades future. I don't expect Americans to rise up in any meaningful way because the military and intelligence apparatus of the US will destroy any leftist organisation that doesn't succumb to infighting (if there are any that make it that far) and the majority of democratic voters in the US only want a West Wing style leader and a returns to 90s era prosperity, in spite of what millenials and younger generations might hope for, and they'll choose a Mitt Romney type before an AOC type if it ever comes down to it.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I feel better about my future than most people on the planet should probably feel about theirs

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Future is a bad addiction you should really try to kick while still young, or you'll resent the lack of it

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Im thinking things will get worse for the majority of people as income inequality gets more and more severe. The drugs will however get better and better.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

sounds like a good time to invest in companies that build walls to keep ppl off of private property

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i'm worried about our little beach house still existing when my kids grow up

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

kntfkr posted:

i'm worried about our little beach house still existing when my kids grow up

lol

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm worried about the squid.

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

Wizard Master posted:

Anyone else think this is all about to get really really bad ?

No I'm finishing work and I'm gonna get drunk and high so actually the future looks great!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
And the pangolins. I worry about those.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The manatees too :(

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How could you not feel worried about the polar animals?

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I just wonder how long it will be before our entire planet is converted into paperclips.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Bump this thread when you're having a bad trip (or want to get on one, for some reason)

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Mode 7 posted:

I think I've got a pretty good shot at living forever as our medical technology develops and enhances the general quality of our lives and aged care, and I'm excited to do so.
The world might have lovely things in it, but I truly believe life is worth living and there's always something new to see, do and experience.

This whole forum gets super doomer-y a lot and sometimes that's exhausting. Good things happen. Better things are possible.

And do you really believe advances in medical technology will be available to anyone but an increasingly shrinking percentage of the population who can afford it? The problem isn’t technological advances—it’s the breakdown of contemporary capitalism into increasingly monopolized forms of power and sectors, which by definition means more oppression and destitution for the majority of the population. Just look at the trillions in wealth transfers from the middle class into the ownership class in the last 10 years alone. By 2030, I guarantee you the average American town and city will somehow look even more dilapidated, de-industrialized, and abandoned than they do now.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I'm going to buy a motorcycle that shoots flames out and wear a ton of leather things and get a sword

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Until then I'm gonna be guy fieri

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

MLSM posted:

And do you really believe advances in medical technology will be available to anyone but an increasingly shrinking percentage of the population who can afford it? The problem isn’t technological advances—it’s the breakdown of contemporary capitalism into increasingly monopolized forms of power and sectors, which by definition means more oppression and destitution for the majority of the population. Just look at the trillions in wealth transfers from the middle class into the ownership class in the last 10 years alone. By 2030, I guarantee you the average American town and city will somehow look even more dilapidated, de-industrialized, and abandoned than they do now.

That’s my secret - I’m not American.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

well, it’s arrived. the past’s glow has faded, and the chilly edge of tomorrow advances on the horizon. let’s look back at the predictions in this thread and see which came to pass.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Mode 7 posted:

That’s my secret - I’m not American.

Hope your nation doesn't have any valuable resources like oil or water or guzzoline :madmax:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Everyone is riding Segways.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Colonel Cancer posted:

I tell you what, I'll feel a lot better about the future when SA app allows posting threads :smugbert:

Yeah wtf is that about? It used to work I think…

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
What was the first thing you remember as a child that made you realise things were just going to get worse?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

reading my first wizard master thread

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
The Phantom Menace

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I would like for it to be cancelled please. Just call the whole thing off.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Icochet posted:

The Phantom Menace
i remember watching this movie while visiting relatives in florida as a child

thinking wow that wasnt very good

maybe it started then, maybe earlier or maybe later, but the next time i had that same feeling i was filling up the gas tank of my vw poo poo rocco in 2008 or something and thinking drat this is an expensive tank of gas

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

Wizard Master posted:

What was the first thing you remember as a child that made you realise things were just going to get worse?

My grandparents had an encyclopaedia set with a particularly detailed infographic on pollution and global warming. I didn't realise it at the time exactly - the general feeling as a child was of course "yeah, but, they're fixing it, right?" - but it comes to my mind often when I read about each new worse-than-expected event.

We always knew how it would turn out if we cared to pay attention.

TheBlackVegetable fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Feb 20, 2023

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

TheBlackVegetable posted:

the general feeling as a child was of course "yeah, but, they're fixing it, right?"

It's been devastating to realize that no, they're not.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
time destroys everything

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
That sounds like future mes' problem, and boy I'm not jealous of that guy.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
Sometimes I feel like things will never get better

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

mlyp

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Wizard Master posted:

Sometimes I feel like things will never get better

Skill issue.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

They just opened the whataburger so p darn good op!

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Pretty good op

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
Does anybody else feel like things are about to get really bad soon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

We’re pretty hosed, thanks for making a thread about it

E: taking part in a wizard master thread resurrection. A time honored tradition

MEIN RAVEN fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 25, 2023