Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Lets just say while all you jokers are in here bloviating uselessly, I'm the only one doing anything tangible about our Grimdark future.

Studying the Blade

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

just lol if you aren't up to your neck occupied with making sure each months bills get paid to worry beyond that

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Szechwan posted:

On one hand, I'm a marine biologist so it can get exhausting seeing every data trend you analyze go in the wrong direction.

On the other hand, we are learning so much about our past mismanagement of resources and how to (theoretically) do things the right way, and that gives me hope.

Not enjoying seeing all the American political BS seep into Canada lately tho.

On the one hand we're all gonna die, but on the other hand we deserve it :shrug:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

could always be worse

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

numberoneposter posted:

could always be worse

“Will”. The word is “will”.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
Its not looking good man

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

cumpantry posted:

just lol if you aren't up to your neck occupied with making sure each months bills get paid to worry beyond that
it's weird that I was way happier and didn't worry about this poo poo when i was slaving away non-stop at some corporation that pays me poo poo while I struggle to get an education working like 14+ hours a day, neglecting my hobbies, and getting very little sleep

now i work from home and have plenty of free time and more money and i'm depressed, developed an anxiety disorder, and lack the desire to attend to my hobbies

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jelly posted:

it's weird that I was way happier and didn't worry about this poo poo when i was slaving away non-stop at some corporation that pays me poo poo while I struggle to get an education working like 14+ hours a day, neglecting my hobbies, and getting very little sleep

now i work from home and have plenty of free time and more money and i'm depressed, developed an anxiety disorder, and lack the desire to attend to my hobbies

Getting older can do that to ya. Stuck in a rut.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Okay sara sara, as they say

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

I'm impatiently waiting to die if that answers your question

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

rear end-penny posted:

I'm impatiently waiting to die if that answers your question

You can use this in the "what is your most republican aligned opinion" thread

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

My thoughts rn, on a global scale are:
All the statistics say we’re better off today than even 100 years ago, and also we have opened our eyes to the gross inequality, hopefully will lead to some adjustments.

Another thing, it’s becoming clear that there are people and cultures who simply don’t value individual freedoms so much, and this century is going to have to deal with this. “The West” seems to have realized that just because you do business with someone, it doesn’t mean they’ll become democratic and have the same values.

Also, maybe superhero movies get replaced by video game movies?

(Can you believe they call them movies because “talkies” didn’t catch on? Fillums is still a bit pretentious, motion pictures too long)

Cautiously optimistic OP

On a local scale, I’m looking forward to dinner

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Jelly posted:

This happened to me, too. I think we need to be separated from our hobbies so we have something to look forward to. If you can play a game at any moment suddenly it’s not that appetizing.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Jelly posted:

too much free time and money? have a baby. done.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'd try to get my own crew together around a few solid vehicles, a van, tow truck.

When we inevitably come across the local Warlord, we cede and ask to join his crew.

Work our way up from the inside, and eventually take the Warlord down,
and take over his large operation, intact and operational.

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
Honestly, how much longer do y'all figure humanity itself is going to be around before we run ourselves extinct? The billionaires, war mongers and just continual pollution and air quality. I just like fantasizing about after all the harm we've done to the planet, how long without us it'll take to get back to a healthy state.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Gaylor Moon posted:

Honestly, how much longer do y'all figure humanity itself is going to be around before we run ourselves extinct? The billionaires, war mongers and just continual pollution and air quality. I just like fantasizing about after all the harm we've done to the planet, how long without us it'll take to get back to a healthy state.

25-75 years. The first time climate change forces the migration of ~1M+ people, someone is going to get mad enough to let off a nuke.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

Gaylor Moon posted:

humanity will unfortunately last at least tens of thousands more years until evolution, forced or otherwise, occurs

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
I"m surprised so many goons have some degree of optimism for the future.

For short term prospects (as in within my lifetime,) I'll consider myself lucky if there isn't a societal collapse in the US due to Civil War and/or environmental collapse.

As for humanity's long-term prospects, we're completely hosed and the Earth will be lucky if we don't take all complex lifeforms along with us. I don't think most people realize that global warming will continue even if humans managed to reduce our CO2 emissions to zero (which is never going to happen) because of the feedback loops in the environment we've already started such as the greenhouse gasses emitted by the loss of wetlands, forests/jungles, and permafrost thawing. Similarly, as more and more of the planet's glaciers melt there's less of the sun's energy reflected back into space and the hotter things get and more water vapor is in the atmosphere, the more warming effect from water vapor will occur too. We're well and truly hosed.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

humanity will unfortunately last at least tens of thousands more years until evolution, forced or otherwise, occurs

What evolution? Mostly gone are the days of people dying before reproduction age ranges. Natural selection doesn't really apply after you've already had kids with a stable enough environment for them to survive (society). We'd have to return to some really brutish conditions (and probably far fewer overall humans) for natural selection to affect humanity again. Granted, I suppose that's a very real possibility eventually with what I laid out in my doomerism screed above.

ChairmanMauzer fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 26, 2023

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Wizard Master posted:

Does anybody else feel like things are about to get really bad soon?

God I loving hope so.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Not good OP, not good at all. It's cold and wet. I don't think I'll be swimming this afternoon and tomorrow's not looking so great either.

ChairmanMauzer posted:

What evolution? Mostly gone are the days of people dying before reproduction age ranges. Natural selection doesn't really apply after you've already had kids with a stable enough environment for them to survive (society). We'd have to return to some really brutish conditions (and probably far fewer overall humans) for natural selection to affect humanity again. Granted, I suppose that's a very real possibility eventually with what I laid out in my doomerism screed above.

You don't know what evolution is or how it works.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Gotta get back, back to the past.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Larry Cum Free posted:

25-75 years. The first time climate change forces the migration of ~1M+ people, someone is going to get mad enough to let off a nuke.

We've seen forced migrations that large already. The global response has been a resounding "Huh."

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 26 days!)

i wonder if the feelings that prompt this kind of thread were present in all of history. like the exact same feeling. i bet it was.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 26 days!)

guys is it a coincidence that i'm 35-40 and feel like the world really took a bogus turn the past 10 years or so

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Ukraine, Israel, Taiwan.

The board is set, the pieces are moving.

Future don't look good, op.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

roomtone posted:

guys is it a coincidence that i'm 35-40 and feel like the world really took a bogus turn the past 10 years or so

That's just the start of your neuroplasticity turning brittle and sun-bleached as you slowly become part of the problem.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
We are totally hosed

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

You don't know what evolution is or how it works.

What part did I get wrong? People dying after they've already passed on their genes certainly isn't doing much in terms of natural selection unless it also affects the survivability of their children.

Modern medicine has reduced childhood mortality rates so much that its rare for people to not to live long enough to be able to have kids themselves (in developed countries, anyways).

Anyways, I guess what I'm trying to say is that evolution isn't being driven by the same survival factors it used to be for humans. I guess I shouldn't imply its stopped altogether.

ChairmanMauzer fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 27, 2023

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'm pretty sure this is around the point in movies and shows where people start spontaneously develop super powers, so I'm looking forward to that.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

syntaxfunction posted:

I'm pretty sure this is around the point in movies and shows where people start spontaneously develop super powers, so I'm looking forward to that.

Sure, if your superpower is cancer

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I always like to do my own research online.

Anyway 90% of arctic ice is dinosaur pathogens per RebelPraxis69 so yeah it'll be really bad

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

roomtone posted:

i wonder if the feelings that prompt this kind of thread were present in all of history. like the exact same feeling. i bet it was.

Yeah but humanity's only had the ability to destroy itself for like the last three generations or so.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol

Lmao

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

the good news is one day everyone else wakes up and you don't! this one hack that banks don't want you to know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

the good news is one day everyone else wakes up and you don't! this one hack that banks don't want you to know!