Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
You guys are forgetting a key point of the book. Service is citizenship. Service is a jobs and housing program that gives the right to vote to those that "do there part" wether it's a blind dude counting beans for MRE or a janitor. The story is told from the point of view of a spoiled kid who was literally to dumb to get any other job other then infantry and is not only stupid but doubles down and makes getting shot at a permanent career choice. It's still a poo poo story though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I still think you guys are missing the biggest joke in the book. The protagonist was to loving stupid to do anything else but infantry.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Literally everyone he knew was qualified for a job that mattered except him.

Pretty much. And the entire thing is seen through his lovely militaristic eyes. Imagine the point of view from some research scientist or doctor that got their education taken care of by universal education. poo poo they have a pilot that does orbital physics in his head after a botched pick up but poo poo all over this dude. The great joke is that the society he was a part of decided he was so loving dumb that the best thing he could do was be meat for the grinder....and he doubles down and goes officer and enjoyed it.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Fivemarks posted:

You can split Heinlein into a few different eras depending on his stories- Starship Troopers has much more in common with Stranger in a Strange Land than it does with Harsh mistress.

Thankfully, we don't talk about late era "Really into Incest" Heinlein.

At the end of it he just wanted to gently caress himself.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

CainFortea posted:

Hey now. Infantry are not the dumbest MOS.

That's cooks and truck drivers.

....they got the same benefits and learned a skill that at least has the ability to get hired in the civilian sector.