Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly if selling weed or writing bad checks can disqualify you from voting- being a Veteran should disqualify you from everything.

Think about it. We haven’t had a draft in 50 years. Every single loving veteran from the last half century volunteered to be in the military.

Like, there needs to be a separation boot camp for vets. Some kind of “Hey, let’s make you loving normal, if not whole, again.” school that you have to do before you can get a DD-214.

Starship Troopers is not a great book. I read it as a kid, then years later saw the movie and was like… How is a movie better than the book?!? Seriously I never saw the movie in theaters because my dad and friends and uncles were all raving about it and I was just like “Haha, yeah I wanna watch a movie about fighting in exosuits that are nuclear powered and can’t be pushed on their backs because it’ll cause an explosion.” and they looked at me and thought I was crazy, and said I had no idea what I was talking about. :shrug:

Fast forward a little bit, Starship Troopers is for rent at the Video Store and I check it out.

10,000x better than the book, and really is hilarious on so many goddamn levels while still having legit visceral moments.

Starship Troopers is not a great movie. But it’s a lot loving better than the book it’s parodying and elevating at the same time.

After my stint in the Forever Wars the original book, in audiobook format this time, became much more… poignant? Something. The book is almost entirely about boot camp and training. When I look back now, it’s boot camp and training that were the highlights of my time in uniform.

Like yeah, no glory in that kinda stuff, but also a lot less painful or traumatic memories.

Plus in Starship Troopers the book, you can smoke weed in boot camp. That uh, yeah. That speaks to me now. Imagine getting paid to just do dumbass boot camp poo poo and at the end of the duty day you and your friends get to smoke weed in the day room or something. I’d do 40 years of boot camp if it was similar to Starship Troopers in that regard.

Then again, you get whipped like Kunta Kinte for minor infractions in bootcamp in Starship Troopers the book. Not just for getting dudes killed. In fact they straight up hang dudes or are authorized to shoot and kill trainees in the book.

What I’m saying is, I’m old now so I think of boot camp and (some) training memorably. It was so easy, looking back. I think to myself “How great would it be to do boot camp as a grown rear end man. Who gets to smoke weed, grow a beard, and get occasional liberty passes?”

Pretty loving great if you ask me. I was extremely young when I did boot camp and it was only 7 (6?) and a half weeks longs. But 7 weeks is forever to a kid, and 25-29 year old NCO’s can intimidate the gently caress out of you, they’ve been perfecting that system since time immemorial. If I did like crab dad and joined in my 30’s, and they let me smoke weed, grow a beard, etc? poo poo. I’d be all over that. All over it. In fact I’d become a boot camp training instructor.

Think of how fun and chill it all would and could have been if you just did it later in life, and with weed.

Anyway, I’d like a 10 piece McNugget, and like, as much Schezwan Sauce as you are allowed to give me. Oh, and a large coke. Thank you Doctor President, I’ll pull around to the second window as soon as I descend from this higher state of the astral plain bagel, sweet Jesus have you ever had your prostrate milked? It’s like all coal trains got loaded with orgasms and Xi Jinping sent over half his male population to build the tracks to have all those orgasm trains converge inside your rear end.

Peace and love, brother.

LtCol J. Krusinski fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kurzon posted:

I am basing off that YouTube video.

Heinlein says it's that veterans understand discipline and sacrifice. That's what matters, not intelligence or ethics.

Read the book.

Comprehend the book.

Post about the book.

R>C>P
Best possible advice.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

bulletsponge13 posted:

I almost got a job in the civilian sector, but I would punch that WalMart Manager if he got in my face.

This is poetry.

I appreciated this post more than any other post in GiP this week, and it’s Monday night.