Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Kurzon posted:

In the novel Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein, only veterans are allowed to vote. Heinlein believed that veterans would vote more wisely than non-veterans because they understand discipline and sacrifice, which would lead to better governance. But selectorate theory tells me that this would be a terrible idea.

Only 7% of Americans are veterans and therefore only 7% of the American population would have a vote in Heinlein's Utopia. Since voter turnout in elections is never 100% and a candidate needs a majority of the vote to win, you're talking about presidents winning elections with just 1 or 2% of the population's support. This is what political scientists call a small-coalition regime. In a small-coalition regime, the ruler is incentivized to run a regime oriented towards private rewards. He looks after the interests of that 2% at the expense of everybody else, because he only needs that 2% of people supporting him to stay in power. This will lead to a neglect of public goods. The country will have worse roads, worse education systems, worse healthcare, etc. The people will actually be worse off.

What's more, the veterans themselves won't have it so good either. A feature of small-coalition regimes is that the members of the coalition are always looking to expel members and reduce the size of the coalition, so that the surviving members can have larger fractions of the pie for themselves. So what I imagine would happen is that, over time, the ruler would pass laws narrowing what "veteran" means. He might pass laws saying that only veterans who served a minimum number of years can vote. Or maybe only veterans above a certain rank (eg anyone below captain cannot vote). Or maybe only veterans who served in combat roles. Whatever, the idea is to reduce the number of people who are eligible to vote, thereby reducing the size of the winning coalition. The smaller the coalition, the easier it is for the ruler to hold on to power.

What Heinlein's Utopia will be is what Bruce Bueno de Mesquita calls a junta regime. Small coalition, small selectorate. These kinds of regimes are very unstable. Junta leaders face coup d'etats far more often than dictators or democratic leaders.

I love this drive by shitpost from a terminally ill DND/CSPAM jackass. Didn’t even stick around to engage in conversation either. Just preem aloofness OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Kurzon posted:

I am basing off that YouTube video.

Heinlein says it's that veterans understand discipline and sacrifice. That's what matters, not intelligence or ethics.

I'm glad you reengaged with the community here. I applaud you for that. However, it would have helped to read the book so that you could form your impressions. Doing the youtube approach gives you someone else's analysis. And yeah, political science involves reading someone else's articles and someone else's thoughts, but eventually, you must pick up a primary source or check it out for yourself. Because it appears many of us have read it and had some thoughts. An academic setting would at least make you read chapters from it, if not the whole thing. Even if you didn't want to do that, going on scholar.google.com and searching "Starship Troopers Heinlein" and going on sci-hub.ru to grab any paywalled sources would have served your purposes better.

To facilitate that, here are the free versions of the text.

text only: https://archive.org/stream/StarshipTroopersRobertHeinlein/Starship_Troopers_-_Robert_Heinlein_djvu.txt
someones own hot take on the cover: https://archive.org/details/StarshipTroopersRobertHeinlein
ps, someone tell me who the gently caress it is on the archive.org cover of the book.

Edit: I checked out those youtube links, and I don't think 16m worth of Extra History's youtube content is enough of a basis to roll in "hot." It's enough to ask some questions. poo poo, you coulda rolled in with the "hey, I haven't read it, but these videos have piqued my curiosity. This dude is saying this, that, and the third. And based on my knowledge of political science and selectorate theory in particular, I think this will happen. What do you think?"

And while you would have gotten the "go read the loving book" series of responses, for sure without fail, I think that would have been a better way to approach it. I think there's still room for the politically minded chat you wanna have here, but you're gonna need to go inhale a book real quick and come back. Otherwise, intellectually speaking, you're just swinging for the fences and missing. Hope this helped.

TheWeedNumber fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 11, 2023

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
Also, for the record, I just slid into those DMs because I was really curious why they just came and went. So I asked, and we had the chat, and now we're here I guess. :drat:

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

McNally posted:

Hey, OP, I'm going to ask that you actually participate in this thread instead of just dropping by with "hey I saw this video about a book I didn't read" which I view as a drive-by shitpost.

Think you need to dm him. I got my answer and I ain’t their daddy. So if you wanna keep em roped in, so to speak, you need to do the poking.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

bulletsponge13 posted:

He literally says service doesn't make you wiser in the book. It's a major point of one of the H&MP class lectures, and is reinforced in other sections- like when Rico attends Officer Training.

Define education and criminal history for political office, because both can be bought without earning it. Bernie Sanders has a criminal history related to his Civil Rights work- does that mean he is barred? What about Juvenile crimes? I can buy a degree online; I can get a music theory degree from Liberty University; what about my Certificate in Cryptozoology from the Center of Excellence? I'm not being a dick, I want to understand. Since you won't talk about the thread topic you started- the contents of the book- I'll entertain the rest of this.

And having served, if anyone was an Officer, they should be barred from public office.

But what about JFK?

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Kurzon posted:

I can get my own electronic copy easily enough, thanks.

I think Heinlein's idea that service makes you wiser somehow would be better if applied to leaders, not voters. Selectorate theory tells me that it is bad to disenfranchise people for any reason, whether it be lack of military service or poor education. Leaders are another matter. I in fact think people should be barred from running in elections if they lack education or have a criminal history. If only veterans can serve as leaders, that's OK because as long as they must depend on a broad support base to stay in office, they are incentivized to deliver good public policy.

Please link me the academic articles you have read on the book in lieu of reading the book that you are clearly referencing. After all, not verifying the details about something you speak of is bad political science and you aren’t gonna do me like that, right? Thank you.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

bulletsponge13 posted:

I said what I said.

On one hand, can’t fault a man who stands by their principles. On the other hand :drat:

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

bulletsponge13 posted:

As stated, the Officer Corps as a whole (obv some exceptions apply) tend to be self serving, and politically cutthroat in pursuit of personal gain. They tend to be poor leaders even within the institution- an incestuous little institution full of cliques and cohorts, one with customs and policies far different from civilian reality. They tend to be operating removed from reality, from a position of privilege and protection. Officers tend to have the worst traits of politicians in spades, and not enough social experience to know it's wrong.

They tend to be the types who think about how great a Purple Heart will look in their jacket without contemplating the cost.

I'm also a fairly bitter E who had to deal with their garbage.

I’m looking forward to the amount of dick/clit I’m gonna need to suck if I get this internship at either Leavenworth or Carlisle Barracks. Cause guess what’s at both of those places? Officers and war colleges.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

bulletsponge13 posted:

Other posters can temper your expectations. My experience with Nobles was fairly limited, and very tainted by both those experiences and my own attitude, which never quite jived with the Army. I'm sure that it's not as bad as I portray. Part of my attitude comes from dealing mostly pay grades I had no business being around- LTC and above.

I just finished reading A Bright Shining Lie and I’m now reading The Army in Vietnam. And somehow I don’t expect the “greenshirters” as the career army officers turned academics are called, to listen if officers historically don’t listen to poo poo that doesn’t match their glorious vision anyway.

Even John Paul Vann falls for his own hubris at the end. Him dying in a helicopter crash was probably a better end than watching South Vietnam fall apart all around despite his efforts. And that dude wasn’t a paragon of morality neither, let’s be clear. Brave loving dude and a good soldier, good commander. Bout it.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

JFK actually got into some poo poo though.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Sentinel posted:

Woah is this the first ever GIP mod challenge?

Possibly but I’ll tell you what, if OP won’t do it, I’ll do it. I’ll reread starship troopers, dictator’s handbook, and take it from there.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

bulletsponge13 posted:

There's his new profile pic. Red text "Literacy Means Citizenship"

Shame we may not see it since he seems to have not decided to rebuy his account yet.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

bulletsponge13 posted:

Funny enough, I literally gave my copy away tonight.

The audio book is on YouTube. OP had no excuse.

Not only is it on YouTube, I literally linked the archive.org posts with the book, including full text.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

bulletsponge13 posted:

Can I rebuy his account and restrict his posting to this thread?

Seconding. I’ll fund this poo poo too.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

M_Gargantua posted:

Don't throw your money away, he can email the mods and ask nicely to complete his challenge

sir/ma'am/whatever you identify as, I'm literally scheming to donate an espresso machine+fridge to the student government lounge just so I can stash "MY poo poo" there and have ready access to espresso and cappuccinos and poo poo like that. gently caress starbucks. I've spent/earmarked funds for more frivolous things than this.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Nystral posted:

It will be hosed up beyond repair inside a month. Unless there is a grad student lounge or some kind you’re honestly better off making friends with the college facilities team and seeing if you can donate to them and the staff lounge. Less likely to be hosed up, more likely to be taken care of. It’s also a way of reminding them they are seen by some of the students and tap into their useful knowledge.

Oh bet, I'm definitely doing this. Thanks for the advice.

E: This look like the right department? https://www.qc.cuny.edu/bg/meet-the-team/

TheWeedNumber fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 22, 2023

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

slurm posted:

The full auto espresso machines take up a significant amount of our cadet's time and efforts in a department of 8 people. They're finicky, fragile, and honestly fairly mediocre.

Aren’t you restricted from posting in this subforum? Please gently caress off.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

McNally posted:

Leave the modding to me please.

I was about to edit my post and be like "correction, you are not banned from this subforum. However please gently caress off anyway."

Anyway, since we're all here, go on and suck my dick from the back slurm.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Nystral posted:

Yes.

You’re probably going to have to get approval but I’d start with Nadia Jones or the Helpdesk person I forget. You’ll need to charm them and put in the effort.

If that fails you may have luck with the HVAC shop guys. They may prove to be part of the university’s E-4 mafia equivalent.

An alternative would be to see if your college has a Grad TA room / lounge and see if they can accommodate you. This may be better for your academia career as it butters up folk in your college.

But basically what I’m saying is keep it away from undergrads as IME college is just year 13-16 of high school and people still aren’t the greatest at respecting other’s stuff.

I’m gonna have to risk the undergrads. HOWEVER I just convinced the QC chapter of NYPIRG, an activist organization to hold it down for me. The project coordinators will keep it going for me.