Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.

A.o.D. posted:

I'm no scholar, but I have read enough Heinlein to know that he wasn't a dogmatic idealogue, yet critiques of his work seem to make that assumption way too often. He seems like one of the most popular authors to strawman.

I think he really believed what he wrote in Starship Troopers just based upon this book Take Back Your Government that I have sitting on my hate read shelf.

Keep in mind I've not yet read that book or Starship Troopers so I'm not making any solid statements on either but putting out another data point as to his underlying ideology.

E: The Amazon sales pitch opening line well establishes who Take Back Your Government appeals to.

Amazon posted:

Before the Tea Party, the Coffee Party, the "Occupy" movement, Ross Perot or even the Libertarian Party, there was Robert Heinlein, a prophetic mastermind, calling to the people to organize in a grassroots movement to take back their government and to find an effective voice for their individual selves.

Originally titled How to be a Politician, the book was written in 1946 based on Heinlein's own political experiences, in particular his efforts on behalf of Upton Sinclair to become the governor of California and for Sinclair's landmark effort to End Poverty in California (EPIC).

Though Heinlein is best known for his science fiction work, he always had strong political views and often involved himself with various causes, including personally paying for advertisements in newspapers propagating his views.

Here is a fascinating look, both historically and philosophically, at a great visionary's take on the political landscape in the United States, and what each of us can do to better this country.

E. Revenant fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

make it blink.

A.o.D. posted:

First, a question about your image. Is there a rocket pod just off frame?

Second, I don't see how ANYONE who was an Upton Sinclair supporter could be considered anywhere within shouting distance of right wing, but politics are strange.

First, Yeah It's an old sketch I did of the DooM II revenant that I cropped because I like how the sort of rictus grin came out but nothing else of it was any good.

Second, 1930's California politics is such a weird and long ago time that I'm not sure anybody from then can be slotted cleanly into the modern parties. California politics is, after all, the birth place of Gun Control AND Reaganism.

Perusing Take Back Your Government and it seems to be very Libertarian but there's odd diatribes sprinkled in like in a chapter on Women in Politics "They have also brought political corruption to a new low. [...] A great many woman are willing to go to hell in a wheel barrow".

He thinks because women earn less that they can be bought out for cheaper and are not to be trusted. A particular warning which is probably from personal experience is that a woman will work for your campaign but spy on you for the opposition so don't trust them with anything of importance.

E. Revenant fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 11, 2023

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

make it blink.

A.o.D. posted:

Gun control and reaganism are not opposed to each other.

I'm aware of that. Both had the same starting point but have since completely split off into separate parties after starting in the same one. It was an example of how old politics doesn't have the same dividing lines as today. Heinlein could get away with being a misogynist in either party in 1930-40 but today he'd only be welcomed into one.