Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Melthir posted:

I still think you guys are missing the biggest joke in the book. The protagonist was to loving stupid to do anything else but infantry.

Hey now. Infantry are not the dumbest MOS.

That's cooks and truck drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

He quite literally wrote Starship Troopers after reading about people wanting to do nuclear disarmament and wanted to respond with a book that illustrates how stupid those people are.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Kurzon posted:

I can get my own electronic copy easily enough, thanks.

I think Heinlein's idea that service makes you wiser somehow would be better if applied to leaders, not voters. Selectorate theory tells me that it is bad to disenfranchise people for any reason, whether it be lack of military service or poor education. Leaders are another matter. I in fact think people should be barred from running in elections if they lack education or have a criminal history. If only veterans can serve as leaders, that's OK because as long as they must depend on a broad support base to stay in office, they are incentivized to deliver good public policy.

Yo you should try reading the book that you're talking about.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Grip it and rip it posted:

lol what the gently caress

Fascism is bad.

Also only the "right kind" of people should hold office.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Officers are typically the first to throw their underlings in a wood chipper for a slight increase in their evaluation score. Which if you think about it is a really poor trait to have in a politician.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I served under two officers that I would call not terrible people. And they both were very good at communicating the mission to their people, and ensuring that we had the tools and material required to complete the mission to the best of our abilities. The difference between the two of them is that the great officer once he did all of that, went to his office and shut the gently caress up. The only other things he would have us do were play quake 2 capture the flag against each other as practice for our regular matches against the computer shop.

The good but not great officer tended to walk around and get involved in everybody else's stuff, but he rarely changed what people were doing or anything he was more of a distraction. That's the only reason he wasn't great.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Fivemarks posted:

Which fits in with the general western ideal paradigm, but what about military traditions that don't have NCO's and put less of an emphasis on individual initiative and the idea that soldiers can be trusted to poo poo without an officer micromanage it? Like the Russians, traditionally, or what I've heard of some middle eastern militaries like the Egyptians and Saudis?

Russian lieutenants are equivalent to western sgt. Their name might be the same as our officer name, but the job isn't the same. They also aren't treated as nobles like our LTs are.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

bulletsponge13 posted:

OP! It's 7 past High Noon in God's chosen timezone.

What did you learn?
Besides not to post half cocked in GiP?

Also did OP even read any of the book?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

We don't use gendered slurs anymore.

Someone can come up with an appropriate starship troopers adjacent pejorative.

"Kurzon's with intelligence? Have you ever met one?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Sounds like a good time for you to reread it and report back!