Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Good morning. How are you doing today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Kurzon posted:

I need a hug. Open your arms wide for me.

Don't hug me I'm scared.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Melthir posted:

I still think you guys are missing the biggest joke in the book. The protagonist was to loving stupid to do anything else but infantry.

Literally everyone he knew was qualified for a job that mattered except him.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Have you read the book in question?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Should we be reacting to posts about your posts instead?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CainFortea posted:

Hey now. Infantry are not the dumbest MOS.

That's cooks and truck drivers.

cooks and truck drivers don't have to do combat arms downtime bullshit. Who are the dumbest MOSes again?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I'm no scholar, but I have read enough Heinlein to know that he wasn't a dogmatic idealogue, yet critiques of his work seem to make that assumption way too often. He seems like one of the most popular authors to strawman.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Death of the author is a thing too.

more like murder the author.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

E. Revenant posted:

I think he really believed what he wrote in Starship Troopers just based upon this book Take Back Your Government that I have sitting on my hate read shelf.

Keep in mind I've not yet read that book or Starship Troopers so I'm not making any solid statements on either but putting out another data point as to his underlying ideology.

E: The Amazon sales pitch opening line well establishes who Take Back Your Government appeals to.

First, a question about your image. Is there a rocket pod just off frame?

Second, I don't see how ANYONE who was an Upton Sinclair supporter could be considered anywhere within shouting distance of right wing, but politics are strange.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

E. Revenant posted:

First, Yeah It's an old sketch I did of the DooM II revenant that I cropped because I like how the sort of rictus grin came out but nothing else of it was any good.

Second, 1930's California politics is such a weird and long ago time that I'm not sure anybody from then can be slotted cleanly into the modern parties. California politics is, after all, the birth place of Gun Control AND Reaganism.

Perusing Take Back Your Government and it seems to be very Libertarian but there's odd diatribes sprinkled in like in a chapter on Women in Politics "They have also brought political corruption to a new low. [...] A great many woman are willing to go to hell in a wheel barrow".

He thinks because women earn less that they can be bought out for cheaper and are not to be trusted. A particular warning which is probably from personal experience is that a woman will work for your campaign but spy on you for the opposition so don't trust them with anything of importance.

Gun control and reaganism are not opposed to each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Fivemarks posted:

So I can totally get the "Officers are bad" argument. Enlisted hate their officers generally, and a bad officer in the right position can spoil the whole pot by setting the wrong example and encouraging lovely politicking and bullshit instead of doing the job right.

So here's my question: What's the alternative, and what is a 'good' officer?

An autopen or a signature stamp.