Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's just weird that none of them do it. I get that part of the appeal of making a cartoon family show is that you don't have to deal with the kids aging, but like, why hasn't even one show let the kids grow up? Every year, new story possibilities for your writers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
On the other hand, For Better or For Worse did age it's characters and it's terrible.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
King of the Hill tried but dropped it after the fourth season. When your animated show gets big you want everyone to stay cute consistent and marketable I guess

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Zero One posted:

On the other hand, For Better or For Worse did age it's characters and it's terrible.
I've not seen it, but somebody doing something basically never done badly once isn't a great reason to never try again.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

LividLiquid posted:

I've not seen it, but somebody doing something basically never done badly once isn't a great reason to never try again.

:fireman:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

LividLiquid posted:

It's just weird that none of them do it. I get that part of the appeal of making a cartoon family show is that you don't have to deal with the kids aging, but like, why hasn't even one show let the kids grow up? Every year, new story possibilities for your writers.

The only animated show where the characters age and change over time in any real way (that I can think of) is Venture Bros.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The only animated show where the characters age and change over time in any real way (that I can think of) is Venture Bros.
That's one of my favorite things about it, too.

If they were still gee whiz golly gosh Scooby Quest kids, I'd have likely gotten bored with it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Pretty sure Finn from Adventure time has aged at least several years throughout the show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Finn went from 13 at the beginning of the show to 16 or 17 by the time it ended

e: his 17th birthday was an episode for sure

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

socialsecurity posted:

I was the same age Bart was when the Simpsons launched(I'm an old) and I thought it was super cool how he would grow up at the same rate as me. Now I'm older then Homer and very mad about it.

I'm in the same boat as you. Next up is Patty and Selma and then after that: :cloud:

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Big Mouth has its characters age albeit slowly.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

dovetaile posted:

Big Mouth has its characters age albeit slowly.

Oh that’s right. I haven’t seen Adventure Time but I definitely forgot about Big Mouth.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Archer is also aging its child characters, but the wee baby Seamus only shows up in a photo and AJ seems to have grown ten+ years in half the time. I don't blame anyone for bailing, but I have to see how far they can take it with everything they've lost.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Let's try this again:

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

10: The Plight Before Christmas
Bob and Linda try to attend all three kids' holiday performances at the same time.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Christmas episode yay. Kids doing pageants booo.

We already did this with the Belcher kids once.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
They've gotta fit in at least two "each kid gets an episode act to tell their own story" episodes per season. This sounds like another one. These are, in my opinion, by far the worst episodes and I find myself skipping them at this point.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

There's nothing wrong with that framework, but the execution never seems to live up to the conceit.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
What a touching episode.

:3: Tina is a great big sister

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
WOW that episode was loving lovely

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
As the episode was wrapping up I couldn't help but think about the people posting "think I am going to skip this one!"

Was probably the most touching Christmas episode they have had. Between the movie, the grave epsiode and this, it feels like they are sliding into a really nice and wholesome territory rather than cruelty of life. It reminds me a bit of how Futurama had some really emotional episodes, although this is less gut punchy.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

swickles posted:

As the episode was wrapping up I couldn't help but think about the people posting "think I am going to skip this one!"

That was me, and I feel silly for saying it now, it just really sounded like yet another "each kid gets an act to do their wacky version of the premise" episode.

But agreed, probably the most emotional episode they've done. They also had that moment with Teddy in the comet episode a few weeks ago in addition to the ones you mentioned. Glad to see they're taking some steps out of their usual zone. Just a few posts ago I was saying how one of my complaints has been that the show always has strayed away from the emotional moment.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Not a super funny episode, but still really good. It's nice to see the kids be there for each other, and Tina's great. It was very nice to see Louise let her guard down a bit.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Yeah, that was a wonderful surprise.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
That ruled.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I touched on this earlier, but I've started watching from the beginning. Most of these episodes I haven't seen since they aired. It's crazy how much more like an Adult Swim show this was in the early days, but also man was it a lot funnier. The only jarring thing is that they scream... a LOT. To the point where it's hard to watch more than two episodes in a row. I do wish they had retained the slight edge the show used to have, though.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Because that’s kind of exactly what the kids’ stories always are. Like “what if there was a giant robot attacking the school… with robot farts!!!”

It was beautiful. His farts set them free. He's a hero!

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
11: Cheaty Cheaty Bang Bang
After a student accuses her of cheating on a test, Tina needs to get back to school to clear her name, but a snowstorm traps her and her family at home

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/BobsBurgersFOX/status/1613898670318960641

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I've never played the original, but I'll play this.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
My name is Tina. Years ago the world changed forever. A fungus spread an infection that takes away peoples butts, turning them into mindless, buttless zombies. It's like I made a wish on a monkeys paw. My brother and sister left to join the Thunderflies. Little did any of us know that I have an immunity, and even though I've been infected I haven't lost my butt. I may hold the key to saving mankind, or at least what's left of mankind's butt.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

:golfclap:

I never played one second of those games, but since a bunch of Youtube channels I follow were reviewing it, I figured I'd give the pilot a shot and I was blown the gently caress away. That episode alone is probably the best live action anything based off of a videogame that's been made to date.

But your version would've been better.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bob's got a two season renewal.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

WOOOOOOOOO!

I know I'm in the minority with this, but I find it every bit as delightful today as it was in its first few seasons. Moreso, at times.

I've really never seen anything like it. The Simpsons made it nine years before the wheels fell off and Family Guy was already kind of poo poo by its first revival season, often forgetting that the used to use shock humor as a way of making a good point in favor of just being shocking for shocking's sake, but failing even at that, because punching down isn't shocking. It's default.

That we're thirteen seasons and a movie into this thing and it still makes me laugh out loud even when I'm by myself is a feat, but that its heart has only grown bigger in that time is one of herculean proportions.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I agree this show is so incredibly consistent and it has episodes I don’t like as much but I don’t think it’s ever had a fully weak period

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

WOOOOOOOOO!

I know I'm in the minority with this, but I find it every bit as delightful today as it was in its first few seasons. Moreso, at times.

I've really never seen anything like it. The Simpsons made it nine years before the wheels fell off and Family Guy was already kind of poo poo by its first revival season, often forgetting that the used to use shock humor as a way of making a good point in favor of just being shocking for shocking's sake, but failing even at that, because punching down isn't shocking. It's default.

That we're thirteen seasons and a movie into this thing and it still makes me laugh out loud even when I'm by myself is a feat, but that its heart has only grown bigger in that time is one of herculean proportions.

I'd put American Dad up against it which has, in many ways, gotten better over its 19(!) seasons and, to my understanding, has at least another 2 seasons on the books*

I do agree with others who say Bob's feels a bit like it lost its teeth in one of the earlier seasons and plays things a little too safe nowadays, but it's still a very solid and charming show on the whole.

*Although with the clusterfuck of TBS under Warner Bros Discovery (run by maniac Zaslav) and Fox (under Disney), there's murmuring of what its future precisely entails.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'd put American Dad up against it which has, in many ways, gotten better over its 19(!) seasons and, to my understanding, has at least another 2 seasons on the books*
Ooh! Good to know! I've not followed it since it left Fox.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I do agree with others who say Bob's feels a bit like it lost its teeth in one of the earlier seasons and plays things a little too safe nowadays, but it's still a very solid and charming show on the whole.

*Although with the clusterfuck of TBS under Warner Bros Discovery (run by maniac Zaslav) and Fox (under Disney), there's murmuring of what its future precisely entails.

Agreed with this I dunno how American Dad keeps it up/getting better vs all logic and reason but it does.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
This last season post-movie (and the movie itself) has been great, but there was definitely a chunk of time there during the movie’s production that the show’s writing really lost its way. Almost like you shouldn’t try to do both at once.

Glad it’s sticking around but it for sure had some stinkers in recent years.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I don't feel like you can put that on writers. Writing a movie doesn't take very long. It's everything else that does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
They've remained consistent because the only thing they have changed is that the characters scream less and sing more. Well, that and it's gotten gradually more wholesome. By this point in The Simpsons run they had been under multiple different showrunners and cycled through several distinctly different "eras".

This is simultaneously a pro and con with the show. It makes it the perfect comfort food show since you always know what you're gonna get, but it also makes most of the episodes kind of blend together. Very few stand out.