Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I did laugh at nobody correcting Mr Fischoeder who kept calling him "Freddie"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Counterpoint: H Jon Benjamin yelling is really funny

Also in the earlier seasons they all yell at each other constantly. It fit.
Something being funny isn't a good enough reason to keep doing it, and I like the show a hell of a lot more now.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

LividLiquid posted:

Something being funny isn't a good enough reason to keep doing it, and I like the show a hell of a lot more now.

The only times Bob ever really yelled at this family was when situations got over the the top completely ridiculous and they were already yelling too. Like even back then, I think they handled it well and I never felt like they were portraying Bob as a bad father. F is For Family, this is not.

"Tina! Turn the wheel so we don't hit the only other car in this huge parking lot!!!"

"Hmm, I don't think Bob should yell at his kids."

But beyond that, it's not really even about the yelling. I just think they should portray Bob as having personality again instead of always sounding scared, timid and defeated.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Could you help me with a different example? I carved out a whole exception about it being fine to reach for that joke for a laugh when it's a safety thing or whatever and (which isn't the only instance, mind. Just an obvious one that I'm personally fine with), and I fear I'm losing the point you're making to your example being something I allowed for in the premise and I genuinely want to know what you actually mean.

Incidentally, moving on, sort of, my mom was the one who sucked and my pop picked up all her slack, so I grew up really loving hating how seemingly every father on TV was awful from Homer Simpson until, like, Keith Mars was the combo breaker, but this isn't even really a matter of my personal preferences in comedy so much as I think a lot of people have come around to the fact that men coded as basically harmless screaming at their wife and children in cartoons isn't actually as funny as we as a society used to think it was, and that's why the change happened.

I do like and appreciate that change, though.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

LividLiquid posted:

Something being funny isn't a good enough reason to keep doing it

It's a comedy tv show, so yes it is.

You have numerous personal issues that affect how you view the world and I feel sorry for you, but not everyone has the same hangups or triggers that you do.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 24, 2023

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don’t be an rear end in a top hat

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

LividLiquid posted:

Could you help me with a different example? I carved out a whole exception about it being fine to reach for that joke for a laugh when it's a safety thing or whatever and (which isn't the only instance, mind. Just an obvious one that I'm personally fine with), and I fear I'm losing the point you're making to your example being something I allowed for in the premise and I genuinely want to know what you actually mean.

Incidentally, moving on, sort of, my mom was the one who sucked and my pop picked up all her slack, so I grew up really loving hating how seemingly every father on TV was awful from Homer Simpson until, like, Keith Mars was the combo breaker, but this isn't even really a matter of my personal preferences in comedy so much as I think a lot of people have come around to the fact that men coded as basically harmless screaming at their wife and children in cartoons isn't actually as funny as we as a society used to think it was, and that's why the change happened.

I do like and appreciate that change, though.

I mean, I'd have to comb through the episodes for specific examples, but pretty much any time Bob yells in the early episodes (like seasons 1-4-ish) its either not directed at anyone (or an outsider who is wronging them) or if it is at the family, it's when the kids and often even Linda are being obnoxious, yelling, and ignoring him and everything just crescendos to a point that pushes him over the edge. Bob is a little bit more "Coach McGurk-y" in the early seasons, but I genuinely feel that they made a point to make his outbursts justified. It wasn't like Homer strangling Bart, Peter being cruel to Meg, etc.

Bob is too much of a straight man now, and his character is boring now as a result.

I think there's a little bit of "husband = dumb oaf" in maybe seasons 1 and 2, but they reversed it quickly and made Linda the more irresponsible parent.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 24, 2023

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
It's been a while, but I remember Bob would sometimes make kind of dark, sarcastic remarks at times, usually in response to Louise. In fact when was the last time he had a conversation with the food?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

TheFattestPat posted:

It's been a while, but I remember Bob would sometimes make kind of dark, sarcastic remarks at times, usually in response to Louise. In fact when was the last time he had a conversation with the food?

There is a certain bite to all the dialogue that is gone now that feels like it got moved over the Great North.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ChesterJT posted:

It's a comedy tv show, so yes it is.

You have numerous personal issues that affect how you view the world and I feel sorry for you, but not everyone has the same hangups or triggers that you do.
Sweet! Good to know since I think it'd be hilarious, I get to kick you in the junk. If you don't like it, stop being triggered, snowflake.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
...anyway,

Speaking of The Great North... does it get better? I watched the first few episodes and it's... aggressively average. Every character feels like they're just their performer's standard persona. Like the dad is just Ron Swanson. I suppose you could say that about Bob's Burgers, but Bob's Burgers in the early episodes felt a lot like a spiritual successor to Home Movies and had that going for it, whereas this seems like it's trying to take what Bob's Burgers grew to be and replicating that. I love the idea of setting a show in Alaska, though.

I ask though because I remember not liking the first few episodes of Bob's Burgers, either.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s not as good as Bob’s but I enjoy it quite a bit.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

...anyway,

Speaking of The Great North... does it get better? I watched the first few episodes and it's... aggressively average. Every character feels like they're just their performer's standard persona. Like the dad is just Ron Swanson. I suppose you could say that about Bob's Burgers, but Bob's Burgers in the early episodes felt a lot like a spiritual successor to Home Movies and had that going for it, whereas this seems like it's trying to take what Bob's Burgers grew to be and replicating that. I love the idea of setting a show in Alaska, though.

I ask though because I remember not liking the first few episodes of Bob's Burgers, either.

It's fine. It's pretty toothless and the characters generally possess an unnatural positivity and enthusiasm for virtually everything, but that seems to be the angle they're going for so I can't fault them for it.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
One of the kids is gay though! Ham, I think.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

dovetaile posted:

One of the kids is gay though! Ham, I think.

And the oldest is deffo bi.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s not as good as Bob’s but I enjoy it quite a bit.

Agreed. I enjoy watching it if only for Wolf's dumb wordplay (Honey Bunches of Scrotes!) and some of the songs (PIZZA SURPRISE!). Moon is fun too.

Rorobb
Aug 17, 2005

Is Central Park any good? Never really heard anything about it but I assume it’s made by the same people as Bob’s Burgers too

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Rorobb posted:

Is Central Park any good? Never really heard anything about it but I assume it’s made by the same people as Bob’s Burgers too

I tapped out after one or two episodes. As I recall there was a lot of singing and not a lot of funny, but it's been awhile.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's a full musical so if you don't like singing you're not gonna like it. I found it entertaining, but I have yet to watch the third season.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Watched a little more of The Great North, and, yeahhhh I dunno. It just doesn't do anything for me. Gives me Parks and Recreation vibes (which I originally liked but find kind of cringey now)

Anyway, just watched this episode and this is hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkJsLwdXN2g

Mind you, this is after Bob learned all he could about the Equestranauts and infiltrated a convention and forcibly got a partial tattoo on his back just to get that doll back. Bob used to be funny.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
18: Gift Card or Buy Trying
When a customer leaves a $100 gift card as a tip, Bob, Linda and the kids go on a shopping spree; Gene has an awkward run-in with a former friend.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Oh and heads up that Bob's is on tonight at 8PM EST, not 9. Great North is still at 8:30, and then an hour long Family Guy at 9.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well let's hope the gift card actually has money on it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Well let's hope the gift card actually has money on it.

This was my first thought

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Or I guess just never address it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think the gift card being mostly empty would be the punchline in an earlier season. The show is slightly less interested in misery these days which isn’t necessarily a bad thing since people like it wholesome going by this thread

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
I was nervous they were being scammed at the beginning, so I'm glad it was legit and they got something nice. I also liked Gene's story.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Good episode. Feels like it's been a while since Tina had a silly little fantasy.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

hatty posted:

I think the gift card being mostly empty would be the punchline in an earlier season. The show is slightly less interested in misery these days which isn’t necessarily a bad thing since people like it wholesome going by this thread
Yup. The world got a hell of a lot uglier and now I want my fiction to be less so.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
19: Crab-solutely Fabulous
The kids become a part of a crustacean-themed wrestling show; Linda tries to form a 21-day habit.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

You know it feels like we don't see any of the other kids from school anymore. I liked the little new group they were forming with Rudy, Courtney and Alex. Jimmy Jr. and Zeke are usually pretty fun too.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Belchers, but I think it would help if they didn't use the supporting cast so sparingly.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Now I'm wondering if the lobster with a cowboy hat is an UCB reference.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
20: Radio No You Didn't
Bob tells Linda and the kids the story behind an old, broken radio that used to belong to his grandmother Alice and the part it played in her discovery that a German spy lived in her building.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
That was a really good episode. I'm glad they were able to get a little weird with it.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Why was Lily’s husband in Europe for the war 6 months early?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
That was really good, and I also liked that it was actually a threatening spy and not some silly misunderstanding like they often do when there's a perceived threat.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
21: Mother Author Laser Pointer
Linda almost accidentally kidnaps a children's book author; the kids help Mr. Frond try to get his cat out of a tree in front of the school.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Think we're skipping a week.

https://twitter.com/BobsBurgersFOX/status/1654908892478930948?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Huh, my listings don't have Bob's showing tonight. Its Simpsons, Great North, Family Guy, and Housebroken.