Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

We've got a 2006 Nissan Tiida (the aussie version of the versa) with the 1.8 MR18 and 6 speed manual, so while its a hateful little shitbox, its kinda fun to thrash around in.

I dont think theres a single thing on ours thats even 1/10th as rusty as yours. The worst we have is the stupid strut tops constantly tearing the rubber because some arsehole at Nissan decided that rubber in TENSION in a strut top was a good idea. Its a good idea if you own a strut top company cos your replacing em every 50K kms. Ours also did its head gasket bang on 200K kms- As in I rolled it into the workshop to service it at 200,010kms and it blew the head gasket while it was sitting there getting an oil change!

The other thing we've got is every single plastic component has gone brittle and all the suspension bushings are stuffed, but its not really worth the money or effort to replace em. When the head gasket blew it was cheaper to drop a 40K old wrecker engine into it for $600 than to replace the head gasket.

but yes, nissans machining and engineering departments are lovely and incompetent. Coming from working on Toyotas primarily to working on the nissan was just an exercise in frustration and bleeding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Olympic Mathlete posted:

That first time braking on new pads/rotors is scary because they just do not stop well. A few times I've done other stuff on the car as well as the brakes and then forgot as I press the pedal and the brakes just fail to grip.

Do you guys just get lovely arse pads or something everywhere else in the world? The Bendix stuff I buy and fit here in Aus has some "Blue Titanium stripe' that they coat across the pad surface that basically is like throwing an anchor out the back when you do the initial stop and that does the bulk of the stopping work as the pads fully bed in.

https://www.bendix.com.au/bendix-news/media-release-bendix-blue-titanium-stripe

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Our tiidas one rear shoes must be made of something magical- I changed them at 260k kms and they STILL had 2mm of material left on them, I was just getting leery of brake shoes that were approaching their 15th birthday with 260k kms on them.

And it’s not like they didn’t work or anything!

My single biggest complaint bout the tiida/versa is whichever dickhead Nissan engineer decided to design the strut tops where the rubber insulator is in TENSION instead of compression like every other manufacturer on earth. I’m sure it’s fine in a country where the roads aren’t basically outback roads with some tar thrown on them, but around our area the roads are so loving awful that you get between 40 and 70k kms out of a set of strut tops before the rubber separates and the clunking starts. They can’t physically break in half due to being captive by the shock shaft, but they do gain a 5mm air gap that bangs and clunks over rough roads.

I’d fix them more often but it involves pulling the strut to do it and they’re $70 a side, plus step one of pulling the struts on a tiida is remove wiper arms

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I won’t take any photos of the suspension on mine cos it will make you cry with how clean it is…