Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

im waiting for meteor lake, which is gonna blow all the raptors outta the... lake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

but if they come out of the lake, they'll be a danger to us

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lmao at Intel e cores. it’s like, what if we gave you a massive power hungry chip but also ran your thread on a puny core so it takes longer

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
why don't they just make all the cores p cores

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

infernal machines posted:

why don't they just make all the cores p cores

p cores are much bigger.

they think they can save power when an intelligent OS schedules light work on the e-cores. but they have to keep the L2 cache powered on. and the L3, the bus, the IO uncore area, PCIe links, DRAM bus, DDR, PCIe cards, … PC architecture is just not designed for power efficiency.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

windows is still the best os for home made xboxes and dangerously hilarious for everything else. i have a pretty juiced up funputer that's probably going to do me for a while, 5950X with a 3090

burning swine
May 26, 2004

ryzeb not having p/e cores is a p excellent feature tbh

burning swine
May 26, 2004

nah, I'm not gonna fix that

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

chaosbreather posted:

windows is still the best os for home made xboxes and dangerously hilarious for everything else. i have a pretty juiced up funputer that's probably going to do me for a while, 5950X with a 3090

drat it you have some slightly bigger numbers than me

I don’t think i’ll ever be able to upgrade tho

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

dioxazine posted:

but if they come out of the lake, they'll be a danger to us

intels planning to release them soon

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

probably a tiny tweak of alder lake, which wasn't garbage, but hardly going to be interesting stuff

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

does amd use the same thing with like, power cores and weenie cores?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
no they're doing something else

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Subreddit Icon
r/Amd
•Posted by
u/genkernels
5 hours ago

ECO Mode is very good, performance increases for gaming
Benchmark
Unfortunately very few reviewers seem to have really done the full degree on the new 7000 series processors in ECO mode. So far the ones that I have found to do something like that are STS (for the 7600x), Terafied (7900x), PCWorld (7950x, Cinebench only), and CrazyTechLab (7700x, 7950x, Cinebench only), and Anandtech also did one little thing in Cinebench (7950x). Some others will get to it presently. AMD has also not really helped in guiding users to this solution as much as I would hope either, though they clearly have put at least some effort into speccing out what their preferred PBO settings should be and marketing them.

In any case, the results are very good. 65W TDP results in performance gain for gaming in both tests (STS and Terafied). STS's 5600x test makes it clear that the gain is from having higher FPS minimums, sometimes much higher minimums. Terafied doesn't run minimums, so the true magnitude of the gain is somewhat hidden. The single threaded testing results that I've seen show no significant performance loss for using Eco Mode, but I have almost no real-world testing for production tasks in Eco Mode (and most real-world testing for that case would be multithread anyways).

For the 7600x, all the Eco Mode testing shows a less than 5% performance loss for multithread benchmarking tests, and a negligible difference (-0%, +1%, etc) for premiere pro export and most rendering tests. STS by far had the best video on Eco Mode benchmarks that I've seen yet. The one 7700x test that I was able to look at (from CrazyTechLab) showed -4%, a similar result.

For the 7900x, Terafied's tests give more insight into the CPU temperature while doing the Cinebench, doing the benchmark near 52C and 4.3Ghz (but either he is using some ridiculous cooling or something is wrong with his numbers, because his full power test only read out at 92C). However, bringing the 7900x down to 65W will also inflict a ~20% performance hit. I don't have information on a 105W limit, which should also be an Eco Mode setting for this processor.

For the 7950x, I have two tests to look at from CrazyTechLab and PCWorld. The PCWorld test again shows that single threaded tasks have essentially no performance hit at all even when restricted to 65W, though the total isn't that much better than the 12900k in that case. For multi-threaded tasks, both tests agree that the 7950x takes a brutal 30% reduction in performance when restricted to 65W, but still remains better than the 12900k if more marginally and with 2/3rds of the system power draw. The tests disagree on the hit that going to a 105W limit is, but it will still be more than 20%. No temperature bechmarks from these two, but you can find someone doing multi-core cinebench Eco Mode here, with what is at this point entirely predictable results.

In conclusion, unless you picked the big processors, it looks like ECO Mode is a very good idea. Always for gaming, in fact, probably even for the 7950x (though I don't have proper Eco Mode gaming tests for those before me). According to PCWorld, this will eventually be available from Ryzen Master, so presumably you'll be able to enable it for gaming specifically. However, even though the 7900x and 7950x can use Eco Mode, using that for a production task sounds like a massive waste, as all of these CPUs are engineered to boil all the time anyways apparently.

That 95C is intentional is worth reiterating, and as GamersNexus noted it handles such temperatures with grace, rather than panic-throttling. For this reason, I would really like to see benchmarks of a 7600x with a $15 cpu fan. Even if it hits 95C on a multi-core workload, that is still probably unproblematic, definitely unproblematic if one believes AMD. For this reason I think the need for robust cooling for the 7600x and 7700x is greatly overstated -- particularly since one would probably be running those in Eco Mode anyways rather than chase the extra 3%, perhaps 4% -- assuming that GamersNexus doesn't come up with rather different numbers for the 7zip and code-compile tests.

I actually really quite like AMD's approach here. Start with a well-tested power hungry default and then give me options to dial it back. Being able to use extra cooling power when the chip is capable of running hot just seems kinda nice -- and having your CPU do so automatically is now one of the joys of not having your own CPU hardware lock itself away from you. I hope this remains the approach going forward! I just wish that AMD was more useful at demonstrating efficient ways to use the products of their own development. I suspect pre-built machines (and perhaps AMD itself) would do well to enable Eco Mode by default on the 7600x.

Now, that being said I'm still going to look very closely at intel's i5-13600 when it comes out, but I think after doing some research rather than look askance at AMD's default power consumption, I am actually somewhat excited about how that's being done, particularly given Intel's locked-down approach.

ECO mode must mean economy rather than ecological because computers are terrible for the environment

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i didnt really read much of that but seems like they just put less electrons per minute into the processor to make it less hot

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

because of the rare earth metals?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
probably

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

intel is the bootlickers choice

i like to use alternative cpus

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Gentle Autist posted:

intel is the bootlickers choice

i like to use alternative cpus

sorry to tell you, but intel is the plucky underdog as far as the market is concerned.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
im waiting for 16th gen by which time theyll have 4 or 5 different types of cores

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I thought apple did the good and weenie core thing and people love that poo poo

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

akadajet posted:

they call their process “Intel 7” now whatever that means

the called the seventh intel "intel 7"

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
getting the new Raptor Lake cpu from Intel and modding my pc to roll coal

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

akadajet posted:

Arm is better at it

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cat Face Joe posted:

the called the seventh intel "intel 7"

why did intel call their 10nm node "Intel 7"??

Because 7 ate 9 :xd:

akadajet fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 27, 2022

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

akadajet posted:

apple does it increase battery life, intel does it to juice multicore benchmarks in a 241w cpu

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is good in general. one of the things redeeming alder lake into not being a complete embarrassment.

in fact i think benchmarks makes it look worse than it is, as it delays a thermal envelope limit most benchmarks are designed to run headlong into anyway.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
is this one going to require all those workarounds that make it slower because of security vulns

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

is this one going to require all those workarounds that make it slower because of security vulns

none of the really big ones since 10th gen i believe.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

guys, i just thought of something

wait for it

CRAPTOR LAKE

hahahahahaaha

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

you can spend good money on an 800W radiator, so really you can deduct a few hundred euros from the cost of a new PC if you're being fair

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohIjxlF0K-o

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

this livestream sucks

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

New GPU, $329. New cpus, but it's kinda information free until someone else benchmarks them. Lots of efficiency cores this time!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

distortion park posted:

New GPU, $329. New cpus, but it's kinda information free until someone else benchmarks them. Lots of efficiency cores this time!

that gpu is going to be garbage probably

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
no need to predict what you’re gonna look like when you turn off your monitor

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

akadajet posted:

that gpu is going to be garbage probably

almost certainly, but i still hope they stick to it. where the "plucky little intel" was mostly a quip earlier (for a lot of the year they have been the third largest of the three companies making a laptop cpu seeing any real use, but market be dumb) it is very real and substantial when up against nvidia.

getting into that realm intel is relatively small, and having been a real good friend to reasonably open licensing, specs, and source for a very long time it'd be very good if they saw some headway.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
p cores, e cores, just bring back the cell processor imo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

almost certainly, but i still hope they stick to it. where the "plucky little intel" was mostly a quip earlier (for a lot of the year they have been the third largest of the three companies making a laptop cpu seeing any real use, but market be dumb) it is very real and substantial when up against nvidia.

getting into that realm intel is relatively small, and having been a real good friend to reasonably open licensing, specs, and source for a very long time it'd be very good if they saw some headway.

oh yeah, I'd be all for someone other than amd giving nvidia a run for their money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
from what little is out there it seems like the intel arc GPUs are ok at dx12 but total dogshit at dx9. kind of a wierd way to go, but if they're cheap maybe its competitive for low end rigs