Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

always nice to be remembered :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you worked on the i740?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the fact that they released them at all in this state suggests to me that they're likely to stick to it. which is tbh probably enough to make it work out, a lot of the biggest issues is stuff that will become less severe over time (brute-forcing old stuff while performing fine on new stuff, rebar support needed, etc.).

also it is better for comedy overall.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
again, if you saw the state they released the i740 in, and the subsequent support for it, you might feel otherwise

it didn't work for poo poo in most things due to a bunch of weird architectural decisions, the drivers were basically non-functional, and after a year and a few attempts to paper over the problems they decided to just kill it rather than try to fix the mess.

i'm not saying this is 100% the same, but when i see reviews that say it has bewildering performance and all round glitch issues, and the drivers are a mess, well, there's one point of reference...

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 5, 2022

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

again, if you saw the state they released the i740 in, and the subsequent support for it, you might feel otherwise

it didn't work for poo poo in most things due to a bunch of weird architectural decisions, the drivers were basically non-functional, and after a year and a few attempts to paper over the problems they decided to just kill it rather than try to fix the mess.

i'm not saying this is 100% the same, but when i see reviews that say it has bewildering performance and all round glitch issues, and the drivers are a mess, well, there's one point of reference...

the comparison is not that good in that arc is (weirdly for intel), afaict, entirely cookie-cutter gpu 101. which is newly increasingly a thing as things have converged. and is to some extent why they actually work with dx12 and vulkan, where there's not that much to do to support such a thing.

intel basically realizing that nvidia being 3x their market cap suggests that maybe *don't* invent a new weird thing, instead just get horning in on that.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

not much of an arc if they’re just back where they started

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

two 180° arcs, one after the other

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

infernal machines posted:

two 180° arcs, one after the other

then you walk away

akadajet fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 5, 2022

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I'm probably never going to buy one but I hope it stays around long enough and is just successful enough to get into a price war with nvidia

e: it would be funny if the preferred gamer build became a ryzen with an intel gpu

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 5, 2022

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Intel is bad at supporting software.

this may sound like a facile statement, but it is the core of their problem. Intel is a hardware company. they make some software, mostly drivers and related things. however they are run like a hardware company. their management don’t have the mentality for software development. their priorities aren’t aligned with those of getting quality software out.

a gpu driver is a giant hairball of software. it touches some of the ugliest aspects of PC architecture: boot, graphics, virtualization. it has to do so on windows and linux. it implements very complex APIs (directx, vulken, OpenGL, some compute thing). it binds to on an enormous userspace support library, higher level APIs, shader compilers, … it’s a shitload of code. Intel is just not structured to produce this kind of software well, much less maintain it.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The Management posted:

Intel is bad at supporting software.

this may sound like a facile statement, but it is the core of their problem. Intel is a hardware company. they make some software, mostly drivers and related things. however they are run like a hardware company. their management don’t have the mentality for software development. their priorities aren’t aligned with those of getting quality software out.

a gpu driver is a giant hairball of software. it touches some of the ugliest aspects of PC architecture: boot, graphics, virtualization. it has to do so on windows and linux. it implements very complex APIs (directx, vulken, OpenGL, some compute thing). it binds to on an enormous userspace support library, higher level APIs, shader compilers, … it’s a shitload of code. Intel is just not structured to produce this kind of software well, much less maintain it.

yeah but I want them to get better at it because nvidia needs another serious competitor

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEvdrbxTtVo

Sounds like maybe theres something to the hardware that makes pursuing the design worthwhile, but the software is too bad for it to be viable

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEvdrbxTtVo

Sounds like maybe theres something to the hardware that makes pursuing the design worthwhile, but the software is too bad for it to be viable

yeah. everybody assumed this would be the case

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

wonder who exactly is going to buy those. If anybody

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i bet they get dumped into prebuilt systems and new egg bundles

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
idgi hasn't intel been making (integrated) gpus for decades? it is some giant departure? they've needed some sort of drivers the entire time presumably.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

idgi hasn't intel been making (integrated) gpus for decades? it is some giant departure? they've needed some sort of drivers the entire time presumably.

originally i thought "probably the performance profile of these bigger gpus make a lot of assumptions bad", but this has been bad enough that i now think "maybe the integrated gpus should have been better than they seemed too"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

it sounds like nobody pushed them to make better drivers for them since nobody expected anything from the igpus.

is amd any better with theirs?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i think intel igpus were both never really considered for gaming so drivers didnt really matter plus they didnt have alot of the features that these new arc gpus have so they didnt need software for poo poo like the AI scaling or ray tracing or video capture or whatever features are now common in gpus.

Plus if they're doing some kind of translation like dx11 to dx12 inside their drivers maybe some games just dont translate well and thats where some of the really bad performers come from. idk.

AMD drivers were poo poo forever for both discrete and integrated GPUs. might still be poo poo idk i dont buy AMD. i imagine if their drivers work now for their dGPUs they probably work for their iGPUs.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

IIRC the ryzen-G models have the kind of performance you'd expect from an intel IGPU: good enough for a desktop or three and older stuff, but not really competitive with discrete gpus for any involved task

source: a couple of ryzen 5700Gs

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

the expensive lesson i learnt about graphics cards is it's never about the benchmarks, it's always about the drivers. your ability to play a game or do a thing is entirely dependent on drivers. so it's entirely pointless buying ati cards because most of your games won't even launch. it's incredible that that being the situation, intel, who are pretty loving far away at being known for being the driver kings, decided to give it a go. the way nvideo releases launch day patches (for their mostly very stable and good drivers) for every single game anyone has the slightest chance of caring about is the only actual thing that matters in graphics card town.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

now that's a name i haven't heard in a while

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
has anyone changed the thread title to craptor lake yet

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

chaosbreather posted:

the expensive lesson i learnt about graphics cards is it's never about the benchmarks, it's always about the drivers. your ability to play a game or do a thing is entirely dependent on drivers. so it's entirely pointless buying ati cards because most of your games won't even launch. it's incredible that that being the situation, intel, who are pretty loving far away at being known for being the driver kings, decided to give it a go. the way nvideo releases launch day patches (for their mostly very stable and good drivers) for every single game anyone has the slightest chance of caring about is the only actual thing that matters in graphics card town.

yeah i stopped buying ati in 2006 or so, too

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

echinopsis posted:

hear me out here, incel craptor lake

mystes
May 31, 2006

chaosbreather posted:

Yeah there's literally no point in buying a weird intel discrete graphics card even if it had insane performance for the money because nothing is ever going to support it well

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

my radeon works fine

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mystes posted:

Yeah there's literally no point in buying a weird intel discrete graphics card even if it had insane performance for the money because nothing is ever going to support it well

irony here is that there was some promise that would not be the case, most games no doubt wind up tested pretty heavily on igpus if they can possibly run on them, pure ubiquity. but i believe intel wound up forking their driver stack as part of this scramble to make the things work, so that effort will not help arc at all.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Gentle Autist posted:

my radeon works fine

lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lol at the updated thread title

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I’m just glad someone finally said it

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
intel? more like incel

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

echinopsis posted:

yes i did it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

thanks

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Radeon drivers have improved to the degree where issues are mostly edge cases instead of "This new game literally does not work until AMD issues an update, which then breaks 2 other games", but they're still not great. Leagues ahead of what they were in the early 2000s though

mystes
May 31, 2006

Radeon and Intel stuff is also completely out of the question if you even occasionally want to play with gpu accelerated machine learning poo poo.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mystes posted:

Radeon and Intel stuff is also completely out of the question if you even occasionally want to play with gpu accelerated machine learning poo poo.

yep, though that's another aspect i have some hope intel could manage to open up a bit if they stick to it (fundamentally a lot of compiler work, which intel *can* kind of do). a 5-10 year kind of hope though, so buying anything but nvidia in present day is shooting oneself in the foot.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:worship:

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Radeon drivers have improved to the degree where issues are mostly edge cases instead of "This new game literally does not work until AMD issues an update, which then breaks 2 other games", but they're still not great. Leagues ahead of what they were in the early 2000s though

i've never had a non-nvidia card since like a voodoo 3 so i had no idea this was a thing people deal with lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

mystes posted:

rocm is starting to gain some traction. pytorch and meta's new thing both have decent support for it.