Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

akadajet posted:

My current computer is an AMD 3900X and it crashes every night for some reason. And the USB drivers have been really dodgy. I'm ready to go back to Intel.

yeah, i'm not a fan of completely unavoidable cache hierarchy check exceptions happening every month or so either.

amd lifted the nda on zen 4 reviews and they are good, but given the comparisons to the 12th gen intels, i'm willing to bet intel takes the single threaded performance crown back immediately. i would like to have a system that doesn't randomly bsod, otoh, i'm not looking forward to having to use windows 11 to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

akadajet posted:

windows 11 is just fine after you move the taskbar icons back to the left

not looking forward to having to dig through all the enterprise-only gpos to disable all the poo poo spamming me with ads for subscription services in a product i ostensibly paid money for

e: oh, and blocking random poo poo microsft has been paid to install on my computer like some 2008 era hp

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 27, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

why don't they just make all the cores p cores

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

welcome to where ibm was 20 years ago, i guess

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

intel offered software unlockable pentium branded cpus somewhere in the late 2000s too

they got zero traction and the unlocks were basically impossible to buy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

wait, which realm is yours?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fart simpson posted:

eurasia thread in cspam. u can click on people's profile now and it tells you where theyre empowered

huh. that's what i get for never visiting the forums tech forum

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol. absolutely not

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh sure, but mods have a reputation around these parts

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

intel arc: somehow, intel has the same problems with the fist discrete gpu they've launched in 25 years as they had with the last one

tl;dr: performance is all over the place and the drivers are bewilderingly bad

the big difference will be if they bother to keep supporting this thing for a few years or immediately take it behind the woodshed like they did their previous attempts at discrete gpus

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you worked on the i740?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

again, if you saw the state they released the i740 in, and the subsequent support for it, you might feel otherwise

it didn't work for poo poo in most things due to a bunch of weird architectural decisions, the drivers were basically non-functional, and after a year and a few attempts to paper over the problems they decided to just kill it rather than try to fix the mess.

i'm not saying this is 100% the same, but when i see reviews that say it has bewildering performance and all round glitch issues, and the drivers are a mess, well, there's one point of reference...

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 5, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

two 180° arcs, one after the other

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

brutal

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

now, jimmy, i know this isn't the nvidia one you wanted, but the man at best buy said this one is just as good

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

real brute force approach on these. but with both the arc gpus and raptor lake it is some actual good boomer energy to just price your stuff according to how well it works.

which tells me that intel is probably genuinely doomed, that's not how you run a tech company. especially not now, but kind of also not ever.

e: for those not following the intel stuff is mostly a hair faster than the amd offerings, running red hot, but is actually a fair bit cheaper.

they trade back and forth depending on the benchmark, but somehow intel manages to take 50%+ more current to do it, despite going apeshit with "efficiency" cores

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

echinopsis posted:

maybe powering a truck with 17 wankel engines isn’t a good idea

pshaw. it's the greatest engine ever devised, clearly adding more of them will only improve things

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

psiox posted:

dang, maybe i'm being too conservative by throttling things down until they're at least under 70ºC

is there even any need for software-defined thermal control anymore or is it all handled in hardware/firmware?

unless you have an apple, you can safely assume that whoever built your computer knows more about its cooling and thermal characteristics than you do

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fart simpson posted:

turns out turning 16 weenie cores up to 11 isn’t necessarily power efficient just because there weenie cores

yeah. and at that point, why not just make them all performance cores and be done with it?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

amd did it

presumably there will be a xeon that is like that come christmas

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Perplx posted:

if i'm got to use my computer to run VMs later i don't want to deal with cpu pinning or whatever workaround these weenie cores need

they just need the windows 11 scheduler

now if for some reason you don't want to use windows 11, gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hell, same