Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i kinda want an arc 7, just because i'm a sucker for weird failed hardware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Shaggar posted:

some of the most popular games in the world (ex csgo) are still dx9. mostly because dx9 runs fine on a huge variety of old GPUs.

intel will probably do driver hacks to fix it for the most popular games, but their drivers are notoriously bad.

or just loving use dxvk

jesus christ

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

dxvk can be used on windows as a wrapper for old directx versions

there is also nothing stopping intel from shipping dxvk if they want to solve the problem for you

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

when you choose to live life as an edge case (playing a game that can't use APIs from the last decade at day zero on the first release of hardware that openly says "we optimized for modern APIs"), then life is going to be more awkward for you than being on the happy path.

the fact there is a clear workaround to the problem before the cards are even widely available shows a path forward

i'm not at all an intel fan, and truly expect the card to fail, but the "herp derp, day one dx9 sucks lol" is just nonsense

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

mystes posted:

Radeon and Intel stuff is also completely out of the question if you even occasionally want to play with gpu accelerated machine learning poo poo.

rocm is starting to gain some traction. pytorch and meta's new thing both have decent support for it.