Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Is supposed to be announced tomorrow morning. Is 13 Intel's lucky number? Can raptors swim? Is AMD about to get absolutely hosed as team blue reclaims the crown???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

My current computer is an AMD 3900X and it crashes every night for some reason. And the USB drivers have been really dodgy. I'm ready to go back to Intel.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

qirex posted:

lol there’s still people who use windows by choice

windows 11 since 10 doesn't know what p and e cores are

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Tankakern posted:

have you checked if the usb is dodgy in linux

look, I don't want to make my computer worse than it already is

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

Im going to probably build a new compy w/ a 13th gen and a 4080 or 4090

that’s gonna draw some watts

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Fabricated posted:

I stopped paying attention to intel- did they finally get to an actual 10nm node they can get any yields from? is the core actually not a rehashed skylake now?

they call their process “Intel 7” now whatever that means

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

infernal machines posted:

yeah, i'm not a fan of completely unavoidable cache hierarchy check exceptions happening every month or so either.

amd lifted the nda on zen 4 reviews and they are good, but given the comparisons to the 12th gen intels, i'm willing to bet intel takes the single threaded performance crown back immediately. i would like to have a system that doesn't randomly bsod, otoh, i'm not looking forward to having to use windows 11 to do it

windows 11 is just fine after you move the taskbar icons back to the left

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

yeah i hope i have the power capacity in my office

I was reading that the new nvidia gpus really need these newer ATX 3.0 power supplies that have data pins to communicate with the PSU and card

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I thought apple did the good and weenie core thing and people love that poo poo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cat Face Joe posted:

the called the seventh intel "intel 7"

why did intel call their 10nm node "Intel 7"??

Because 7 ate 9 :xd:

akadajet fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 27, 2022

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohIjxlF0K-o

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

this livestream sucks

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

distortion park posted:

New GPU, $329. New cpus, but it's kinda information free until someone else benchmarks them. Lots of efficiency cores this time!

that gpu is going to be garbage probably

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

almost certainly, but i still hope they stick to it. where the "plucky little intel" was mostly a quip earlier (for a lot of the year they have been the third largest of the three companies making a laptop cpu seeing any real use, but market be dumb) it is very real and substantial when up against nvidia.

getting into that realm intel is relatively small, and having been a real good friend to reasonably open licensing, specs, and source for a very long time it'd be very good if they saw some headway.

oh yeah, I'd be all for someone other than amd giving nvidia a run for their money.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol did they get the idea from tesla?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

nudgenudgetilt posted:

or just loving use dxvk

jesus christ

are you recommending installing linux to play games? if so then lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

nudgenudgetilt posted:

dxvk can be used on windows as a wrapper for old directx versions

there is also nothing stopping intel from shipping dxvk if they want to solve the problem for you

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/mlfcsc/a_guide_to_dxvk_on_windows/?utm_source=BD&utm_medium=Search&utm_name=Bing&utm_content=PSR1

yeah, this looks like a totally reasonable workaround. especially with the big bold disclaimer up front not to use it for multiplayer games (like csgo, for instance)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

nobody is saying that anyone should buy that card lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

two 180° arcs, one after the other

then you walk away

akadajet fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 5, 2022

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The Management posted:

Intel is bad at supporting software.

this may sound like a facile statement, but it is the core of their problem. Intel is a hardware company. they make some software, mostly drivers and related things. however they are run like a hardware company. their management don’t have the mentality for software development. their priorities aren’t aligned with those of getting quality software out.

a gpu driver is a giant hairball of software. it touches some of the ugliest aspects of PC architecture: boot, graphics, virtualization. it has to do so on windows and linux. it implements very complex APIs (directx, vulken, OpenGL, some compute thing). it binds to on an enormous userspace support library, higher level APIs, shader compilers, … it’s a shitload of code. Intel is just not structured to produce this kind of software well, much less maintain it.

yeah but I want them to get better at it because nvidia needs another serious competitor

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEvdrbxTtVo

Sounds like maybe theres something to the hardware that makes pursuing the design worthwhile, but the software is too bad for it to be viable

yeah. everybody assumed this would be the case

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

wonder who exactly is going to buy those. If anybody

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

idgi hasn't intel been making (integrated) gpus for decades? it is some giant departure? they've needed some sort of drivers the entire time presumably.

it sounds like nobody pushed them to make better drivers for them since nobody expected anything from the igpus.

is amd any better with theirs?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

have a kid who is really into gaming? show them you don’t love them by buying them an Intel Arc

lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

intel arc can briefly serve as a boat. or is that intel ark?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWw6q6fRnnI
lmao that's a hot chip

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

graph posted:

intel i9 sucked me off ???

it certainly sucks all the power from the grid

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

:intel:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=todoXi1Y-PI
the i5 is looking much more reasonable, shockingly

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

they just need the windows 11 scheduler

now if for some reason you don't want to use windows 11, gently caress you

windows 11: it's windows 10

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

just ordered a craptor lake. lol that you get 4 ram slots, but if you use them all then xmp doesn't work. the cvl doesn't list any ram sets that are compatible in a 4 slot configuration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I'm going to be posting so fast.