Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
intel just makes up bigger numbers every week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
how does windows 11 let you make more of procesor

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

chaosbreather posted:

windows is still the best os for home made xboxes and dangerously hilarious for everything else. i have a pretty juiced up funputer that's probably going to do me for a while, 5950X with a 3090

drat it you have some slightly bigger numbers than me

I don’t think i’ll ever be able to upgrade tho

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
no they're doing something else

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Subreddit Icon
r/Amd
•Posted by
u/genkernels
5 hours ago

ECO Mode is very good, performance increases for gaming
Benchmark
Unfortunately very few reviewers seem to have really done the full degree on the new 7000 series processors in ECO mode. So far the ones that I have found to do something like that are STS (for the 7600x), Terafied (7900x), PCWorld (7950x, Cinebench only), and CrazyTechLab (7700x, 7950x, Cinebench only), and Anandtech also did one little thing in Cinebench (7950x). Some others will get to it presently. AMD has also not really helped in guiding users to this solution as much as I would hope either, though they clearly have put at least some effort into speccing out what their preferred PBO settings should be and marketing them.

In any case, the results are very good. 65W TDP results in performance gain for gaming in both tests (STS and Terafied). STS's 5600x test makes it clear that the gain is from having higher FPS minimums, sometimes much higher minimums. Terafied doesn't run minimums, so the true magnitude of the gain is somewhat hidden. The single threaded testing results that I've seen show no significant performance loss for using Eco Mode, but I have almost no real-world testing for production tasks in Eco Mode (and most real-world testing for that case would be multithread anyways).

For the 7600x, all the Eco Mode testing shows a less than 5% performance loss for multithread benchmarking tests, and a negligible difference (-0%, +1%, etc) for premiere pro export and most rendering tests. STS by far had the best video on Eco Mode benchmarks that I've seen yet. The one 7700x test that I was able to look at (from CrazyTechLab) showed -4%, a similar result.

For the 7900x, Terafied's tests give more insight into the CPU temperature while doing the Cinebench, doing the benchmark near 52C and 4.3Ghz (but either he is using some ridiculous cooling or something is wrong with his numbers, because his full power test only read out at 92C). However, bringing the 7900x down to 65W will also inflict a ~20% performance hit. I don't have information on a 105W limit, which should also be an Eco Mode setting for this processor.

For the 7950x, I have two tests to look at from CrazyTechLab and PCWorld. The PCWorld test again shows that single threaded tasks have essentially no performance hit at all even when restricted to 65W, though the total isn't that much better than the 12900k in that case. For multi-threaded tasks, both tests agree that the 7950x takes a brutal 30% reduction in performance when restricted to 65W, but still remains better than the 12900k if more marginally and with 2/3rds of the system power draw. The tests disagree on the hit that going to a 105W limit is, but it will still be more than 20%. No temperature bechmarks from these two, but you can find someone doing multi-core cinebench Eco Mode here, with what is at this point entirely predictable results.

In conclusion, unless you picked the big processors, it looks like ECO Mode is a very good idea. Always for gaming, in fact, probably even for the 7950x (though I don't have proper Eco Mode gaming tests for those before me). According to PCWorld, this will eventually be available from Ryzen Master, so presumably you'll be able to enable it for gaming specifically. However, even though the 7900x and 7950x can use Eco Mode, using that for a production task sounds like a massive waste, as all of these CPUs are engineered to boil all the time anyways apparently.

That 95C is intentional is worth reiterating, and as GamersNexus noted it handles such temperatures with grace, rather than panic-throttling. For this reason, I would really like to see benchmarks of a 7600x with a $15 cpu fan. Even if it hits 95C on a multi-core workload, that is still probably unproblematic, definitely unproblematic if one believes AMD. For this reason I think the need for robust cooling for the 7600x and 7700x is greatly overstated -- particularly since one would probably be running those in Eco Mode anyways rather than chase the extra 3%, perhaps 4% -- assuming that GamersNexus doesn't come up with rather different numbers for the 7zip and code-compile tests.

I actually really quite like AMD's approach here. Start with a well-tested power hungry default and then give me options to dial it back. Being able to use extra cooling power when the chip is capable of running hot just seems kinda nice -- and having your CPU do so automatically is now one of the joys of not having your own CPU hardware lock itself away from you. I hope this remains the approach going forward! I just wish that AMD was more useful at demonstrating efficient ways to use the products of their own development. I suspect pre-built machines (and perhaps AMD itself) would do well to enable Eco Mode by default on the 7600x.

Now, that being said I'm still going to look very closely at intel's i5-13600 when it comes out, but I think after doing some research rather than look askance at AMD's default power consumption, I am actually somewhat excited about how that's being done, particularly given Intel's locked-down approach.

ECO mode must mean economy rather than ecological because computers are terrible for the environment

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i didnt really read much of that but seems like they just put less electrons per minute into the processor to make it less hot

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
probably

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
no need to predict what you’re gonna look like when you turn off your monitor

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
drat lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE CHANGE THE THRRAD TITLE TO CRAPTORNLAKE

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks for the support

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
infernal machines should be a mod

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

lol. absolutely not

you’d be better than carry on then

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
has anyone changed the thread title to craptor lake yet

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:worship:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jenny Agutter posted:

incel craptor bake

lol

infernal machines posted:

they trade back and forth depending on the benchmark, but somehow intel manages to take 50%+ more current to do it, despite going apeshit with "efficiency" cores

maybe powering a truck with 17 wankel engines isn’t a good idea

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thank the lord someone finally said craptor lake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lmao weenie