Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

probably a tiny tweak of alder lake, which wasn't garbage, but hardly going to be interesting stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Gentle Autist posted:

intel is the bootlickers choice

i like to use alternative cpus

sorry to tell you, but intel is the plucky underdog as far as the market is concerned.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is good in general. one of the things redeeming alder lake into not being a complete embarrassment.

in fact i think benchmarks makes it look worse than it is, as it delays a thermal envelope limit most benchmarks are designed to run headlong into anyway.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

is this one going to require all those workarounds that make it slower because of security vulns

none of the really big ones since 10th gen i believe.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

akadajet posted:

that gpu is going to be garbage probably

almost certainly, but i still hope they stick to it. where the "plucky little intel" was mostly a quip earlier (for a lot of the year they have been the third largest of the three companies making a laptop cpu seeing any real use, but market be dumb) it is very real and substantial when up against nvidia.

getting into that realm intel is relatively small, and having been a real good friend to reasonably open licensing, specs, and source for a very long time it'd be very good if they saw some headway.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shaggar posted:

some of the most popular games in the world (ex csgo) are still dx9. mostly because dx9 runs fine on a huge variety of old GPUs.

intel will probably do driver hacks to fix it for the most popular games, but their drivers are notoriously bad.

on the one hand yes, otoh the things still very tied to dx9 will not need very high performance (and thus not very complex hacks) to be basically fine.

i am not that convinced the gpu effort will turn out well anyway, but i really don't think what will gently caress it up is really older api (levels) not performing as well as they could. and generally i hope it'll go well.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the fact that they released them at all in this state suggests to me that they're likely to stick to it. which is tbh probably enough to make it work out, a lot of the biggest issues is stuff that will become less severe over time (brute-forcing old stuff while performing fine on new stuff, rebar support needed, etc.).

also it is better for comedy overall.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

again, if you saw the state they released the i740 in, and the subsequent support for it, you might feel otherwise

it didn't work for poo poo in most things due to a bunch of weird architectural decisions, the drivers were basically non-functional, and after a year and a few attempts to paper over the problems they decided to just kill it rather than try to fix the mess.

i'm not saying this is 100% the same, but when i see reviews that say it has bewildering performance and all round glitch issues, and the drivers are a mess, well, there's one point of reference...

the comparison is not that good in that arc is (weirdly for intel), afaict, entirely cookie-cutter gpu 101. which is newly increasingly a thing as things have converged. and is to some extent why they actually work with dx12 and vulkan, where there's not that much to do to support such a thing.

intel basically realizing that nvidia being 3x their market cap suggests that maybe *don't* invent a new weird thing, instead just get horning in on that.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

idgi hasn't intel been making (integrated) gpus for decades? it is some giant departure? they've needed some sort of drivers the entire time presumably.

originally i thought "probably the performance profile of these bigger gpus make a lot of assumptions bad", but this has been bad enough that i now think "maybe the integrated gpus should have been better than they seemed too"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mystes posted:

Yeah there's literally no point in buying a weird intel discrete graphics card even if it had insane performance for the money because nothing is ever going to support it well

irony here is that there was some promise that would not be the case, most games no doubt wind up tested pretty heavily on igpus if they can possibly run on them, pure ubiquity. but i believe intel wound up forking their driver stack as part of this scramble to make the things work, so that effort will not help arc at all.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mystes posted:

Radeon and Intel stuff is also completely out of the question if you even occasionally want to play with gpu accelerated machine learning poo poo.

yep, though that's another aspect i have some hope intel could manage to open up a bit if they stick to it (fundamentally a lot of compiler work, which intel *can* kind of do). a 5-10 year kind of hope though, so buying anything but nvidia in present day is shooting oneself in the foot.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

real brute force approach on these. but with both the arc gpus and raptor lake it is some actual good boomer energy to just price your stuff according to how well it works.

which tells me that intel is probably genuinely doomed, that's not how you run a tech company. especially not now, but kind of also not ever.

e: for those not following the intel stuff is mostly a hair faster than the amd offerings, running red hot, but is actually a fair bit cheaper.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

they trade back and forth depending on the benchmark, but somehow intel manages to take 50%+ more current to do it, despite going apeshit with "efficiency" cores

yeah, because their fab process is garbage. what makes it interesting is how they price it considering, bang for buck kind of thing.

and that means generally that if the next intel process is garbage they're sunk, while if it is competitive they can keep this effective dumping up and amd will have a bit of a struggle.

at any rate good times for consumers, no way these are the prices intel *wanted* for these things

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Fabricated posted:

The new Ryzen stuff is basically designed to boost until it hits 90C and stays there, and yet it still uses less power

that's been true for everything for well over a decade though, run as hard as possible until you hit just short of where the hardware starts to melt, then back off only as needed.

only weirdo nerds on the internet ever tried to cool stuff below its designed temperature limit.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

also they should make the whole plane out of black box!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

amd did it

presumably there will be a xeon that is like that come christmas

intel has a garbage fab process though, the efficiency cores and pushing the thermal envelope (and pricing) is the thing keeping them in the game. going all p-cores or at all imitating amd would make for a ridiculously slow thing as it immediately hits a thermal wall.

if we imagine intel building these things on a good process quite possibly they should look very different, but thinking the efficiency cores are a failure because the chip (optimized for pure performance) is hot is backwards.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Perplx posted:

if i'm got to use my computer to run VMs later i don't want to deal with cpu pinning or whatever workaround these weenie cores need

better off buying some more m1 machines instead, apple will never buy into this kind of silly architecture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Gentle Autist posted:

intel is white bread. be a cool rebel and purchase your cpus from another manufacturer

kind of the opposite, don't buy a 13900k because it is fringe insanity from a company struggling and we're boring adults. funny though.