Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU2VY4vCDug

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lmao

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Take a sword to the isekai mega thread

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kinda figured most isekai fans posted in the season threads instead.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

The Colonel posted:

either it's a different translator and they read the じゅ as a しゅ, or it was always しゅみ in jp and having a different translator for the anime description resulted in an inconsistency in terminology

しゅみ would be the expected reading of 珠魅, but, whoever translated that description didn't bother to check the game

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Polsy posted:

しゅみ would be the expected reading of 珠魅, but, whoever translated that description didn't bother to check the game

I have righted this wrong in the OP. Thanks

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
As a result of the WB and Discovery merger, the Shenmue anime has been canceled
https://www.eurogamer.net/shenmues-animated-series-has-been-cancelled

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/sugoilite/status/1575344302829760513?s=46&t=j8Yxhv2yGX70jdPCzyKLLg

The second season has been pretty awful both in pacing and in animation so this kinda of shocks me but guess it must be doing well enough somewhere to keep it going

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I actually like the early arknights story better than some of the later stuff I saw because the tone felt much bleaker.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
early arknights main story has barely any of the things that make the characters interesting and a lot of that stuff is pretty bleak and hosed up

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Made in Abyss was a good, depressing, gross out time, and I'm pleased to report Tatami Time Machine Blues is extremely good(same for ED, tho no animation, sadly.) Ep 2 is particularly addictive to watch, such fun multi-character layouts, character acting, use of 3-dimensional space, all these anti-Tatami Galaxy direction choices used in the showiest way possible. Tamura, aka Mr. Shabby, is a great character, adorable in mannerism and vocal performance. Try to imagine Japanese Smiling Friends; he's Charlie.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

I actually like the early arknights story better than some of the later stuff I saw because the tone felt much bleaker.

Honestly the last few stretches of events in Arknights have been absolute bangers so I don't really get your position, "bleak" is not necessarily an indicator of quality. Hell, Wolumonde is my least favourite event storywise simply because it veers into "way too bleak, noone is actually likeable outside of one character" territory.

Besides, the latest main story content, chapter 9, was plenty bleak and pretty kino, and stuff just gets worse in the upcoming chap 10, so I dunno what you mean by later stuff not being as bleak as the early stuff. It's just as bleak and better written.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

are there any isekai slavery shows that start with the protag immediately going John Brown on their asses

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Skeleton Knight in Another World starts with the guy turning a bunch of assholes into mincemeat, but I forget if they were slavers or rapists. Could've been both. Either way, he bisects them quite thoroughly.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

Somehow I have managed to deftly avoid all of these slavery isekai that people keep talking about in every thread

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

Sword dad is very clear on how slavery should be handled

It's funny that the sword just rotated the slaver's head 180 degrees and burn the magical slave contract. It's over, just like that.

The animation is surprisingly good and there's plenty of fight scene in the 1st episode. Hopefully, the anime can maintain the overall quality.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

BlitznBurst posted:

Somehow I have managed to deftly avoid all of these slavery isekai that people keep talking about in every thread

Personally I use thread posters as Canaries in a coal mine. If someone reports that the first episode of the show has rape/slavery/rapelavery and I was the least bit interested in that I no longer am. For that I salute your service.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't really care that people are watching the slavery fetish shows, but i sure wish they'd stop posting about it here.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Agreed they should post about them in cspam

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i just wish people had anything new to say about them. if you go diving in a septic tank and the only thing you have to show for it is the septic tank contains feces then i think i could've figured that out myself

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
no see it's important that we report when a show has slavery but this time it immediately tells us the slavery is bad, so we know its morals are correct. now if an isekai has no slavery that's much more complicated, there's no way of telling whether it thinks slavery is bad or not so we can only assume the worst

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

one day there will be a genuinely interesting and not gross story about a person with a modern ethical perspective being placed in a slave owning society

will it be an anime? idk but if so we'll probably never stop hearing about it

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

ninjewtsu posted:

one day there will be a genuinely interesting and not gross story about a person with a modern ethical perspective being placed in a slave owning society

will it be an anime? idk but if so we'll probably never stop hearing about it

For that you just need to read about rich foreigners living it up in Dubai.

Oh wait, not gross. Ok scratch my previous line.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i have neverin my life watched an isekai slave show. its actually surprisingly easy to live this life. iunno why people dont just do this.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
everyone hop on wings of rean instead of watching isekai slavery we're gonna watch a ww2-era kamikaze pilot with the soul of a true samurai who spent years in depression because he was warped into a fantasy world where he formed his own japanese empire and was never able to fulfill his mission of blowing himself up heroically sacrifice his own life to stop misguided young anti-american japanese terrorists from detonating an atomic bomb in tokyo just after he had a dramatic fight with a teenager over a pair of shoes

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

i have neverin my life watched an isekai slave show. its actually surprisingly easy to live this life. iunno why people dont just do this.

But now how will we know your stance on slavery?

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Omnicrom posted:

Personally I use thread posters as Canaries in a coal mine. If someone reports that the first episode of the show has rape/slavery/rapelavery and I was the least bit interested in that I no longer am. For that I salute your service.
It's not very hard to google "does Reincarnated With My Screwdriver As A Magical Repairman have slaves in it", so the value of their service is minimal even to the people who watch isekai

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I think people were talking about the sword slave show ironically or like meta anime threadically or something I unno I don’t think I’m gonna watch it I wanna watch that show about two office workers getting isekaid together and falling in love except now isekai society approves because one became a girl.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

kater posted:

I think people were talking about the sword slave show ironically or like meta anime threadically or something I unno I don’t think I’m gonna watch it I wanna watch that show about two office workers getting isekaid together and falling in love except now isekai society approves because one became a girl.

reincarnated as a sword is good, you should give it a try. don't let the obnoxious exaggerating people in this thread dissuade you, try it out.

you should also watch fabiniku, because it is also good.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

i just watch thing i enjoy

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Namtab posted:

i just watch thing i enjoy

It’s that easy.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Time to watch Kempff finally take advantage of the fact that he's inside a gigantic wrecking ball.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Sword isekai anime first episode trip report - it was 30% the opening act of a moderately compelling slave-to-superstar high fantasy narrative, and 70% an extremely tedious Let's Play of a mediocre fantasy RPG by some nerd who was extremely keen that you got every detail of his stat progression and menu navigation as he steamrollered everything in sight.

I would say it wasn't an especially harmonious mix, but that implies that there's anything you could mix the latter with and receive a positive outcome. Points for not being obviously morally appalling right out the gate, now try to write an actual, functional story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ibblebibble posted:

Honestly the last few stretches of events in Arknights have been absolute bangers so I don't really get your position, "bleak" is not necessarily an indicator of quality. Hell, Wolumonde is my least favourite event storywise simply because it veers into "way too bleak, noone is actually likeable outside of one character" territory.

Besides, the latest main story content, chapter 9, was plenty bleak and pretty kino, and stuff just gets worse in the upcoming chap 10, so I dunno what you mean by later stuff not being as bleak as the early stuff. It's just as bleak and better written.

To be honest, around Near Light I would say the tone changes considerably because you start actually interacting with the Big Cheeses of the various countries, and like improving things somewhat. So, like, Chapter 8 literally ends with "and then the governments proposed a bill to make it so this could never happen again, but after a bunch of partisan arguing it died on the floor and was eventually shredded in some office years after being forgotten." Like, that is the tone, it is extremely bleak on a societal level. Whereas the later stuff is just as brutal on the ground level, but much more optimistic about the future. Heck, the pope just gave a speech and started the League of Nations. Things are moving forward, which I feel would have been unthinkable in earlier chapters.

This is comparing Chapter 8 to later events though, not Chapter 1 to Chapter 8. And I can't really judge the new main arc because we don't know how it ends yet.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 30, 2022