Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Kwyndig posted:

There's a guy in JJK who loves BBWs? I thought that series just had the idol guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4s0QXzKVv0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I misremembered, he likes tall girls i think? I remembered him aaying big girls but looking it up i think he meant vertical not horizontal.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

I misremembered, he likes tall girls i think?

With a big rear end. Very important detail.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I don’t think Jennifer Lawrence is a BBW

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mons Hubris posted:

I don’t think Jennifer Lawrence is a BBW
like i said i misremembered!!!

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I do think it would be slightly more novel if itadori meant tall and todo meant wide and their weird friendship thing was based off of a misunderstanding that never gets corrected

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

like i said i misremembered!!!

There's always Biscuit Oliva at least.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

ninjewtsu posted:

But the real problem with csm is the story seems to be built primarily around the main character being groomed and while I get how unsettling that is is the point, its execution doesn't have the tact it needs to not feel like it's actually just the author's poorly disguised fetish with a story built around that to justify it. The part where denji starts getting groomed by a second adult woman was the part that really made me go "ehhhh I don't think I can keep giving this the benefit of the doubt"

Yeah, I felt the same way.

That and the whole show lacked a sufficient level of action for a shonen. I think their attempt at cinematography got in the way.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
supposedly the director wanted it to be less anime than normal anime, but I don't have that quote off the top of my head so it might be bullshit

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The grooming stuff in CSM is not cool, which is a shame because it's one of the few that I'd consider recommending to people because the style is great and the world and characters are interesting. I think it's a solid adaptation and I like the more cinematic look they've gone for. The EDs are awesome. Aimer is so good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also makimas mostly just manipulating denji she isnt really grooming him. i mean its hosed up but grooming is a very specific thing involving longterm, low-level social manipulation of a child, not just makima's 'sure ill let you touch a boob'.

and tbh considering how mainstream popular it is i think youre fine recommending it lol

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Endorph posted:

i dont think that many shonen in 2022 have comedy perverts tbh. like jjk has that guy who just talks about how much he loves BBWs but i dont think he ever actually does anything

He should

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Just read this page and was disappointed

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Freakazoid_ posted:

Yeah, I felt the same way.

That and the whole show lacked a sufficient level of action for a shonen. I think their attempt at cinematography got in the way.

I would say the show works better because of the lack of action imo.

Makes stuff like the cerebral warfare scene and the final fight stand out more.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Namtab be liking them big? Updating the poster database.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I think it's fine to recommend CSM, Game of Thrones was one of the biggest mainstream hits.

Fake edit: Also to the poster trying to read CSM: I remember my old Kobo refused to load archives that had any file with Japanese characters in the file name so it might be that.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

There’s stuff about makimas relationship with denji that I can’t talk about because it’s big spoilers which isn’t cool but I don’t think the term grooming is really appropriate

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Big spoils: Its emotional abuse

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

it doesn't read that way ("grooming" is very specific) with what the anime has covered so far either imo. I can see why it would put people off and ofc ppl can like/dislike what they want but I don't think it's fair to stretch it beyond what it is

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Zeruel posted:

supposedly the director wanted it to be less anime than normal anime, but I don't have that quote off the top of my head so it might be bullshit

you're the second person I've heard say this so im thinking it isn't bs

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I cooled off on it a lot in comparison to Bocchi and Akiba but the CSM anime got friends and family to pick up the manga (physical volume xmas gifts were well received) so I'm chalking it up as a win.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think it's fine for csm to be about weird and hosed up dynamics and to not have a lot of punching. shonen don't always need to have a lot of punching. sometimes needing to have a lot of punching is the boring part

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
It's completely fine to be turned off by that stuff.

But I do find that amusing given the first episode of the show has a 16 year old who sold his organs to service his father's debt and now makes a living as essentially a contract killer.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The Colonel posted:

i think it's fine for csm to be about weird and hosed up dynamics and to not have a lot of punching. shonen don't always need to have a lot of punching. sometimes needing to have a lot of punching is the boring part

im reading OP on and off and the punching is actually the most boring part of it for me

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

The Colonel posted:

sometimes needing to have a lot of punching is the boring part

absolutely. this can extend to movies as well.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I had kinda assumed grooming just meant "long term emotionally and sexually manipulating a child" and it seems it is a more specific term than that. My bad.

CSM is still weird about it in a way that's uncomfortably close to over the line way too often though. Where everyone's line is will be different and I still like the show but at the point that a show tiptoes that close to that line that much it is a detracting factor.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ninjewtsu posted:

I had kinda assumed grooming just meant "long term emotionally and sexually manipulating a child" and it seems it is a more specific term than that. My bad.

CSM is still weird about it in a way that's uncomfortably close to over the line way too often though. Where everyone's line is will be different and I still like the show but at the point that a show tiptoes that close to that line that much it is a detracting factor.

I haven't read the manga, but my take is that the show is broadly about Denji's agency. Almost every character in the show is using (or used) him for some goal. Power got her cat, Aki wants him to kill the gun devil, himeno wanted his help to get with aki etc. Denji openly proclaims that theres nothing wrong with his own simple life goals (and therefore is ok with being used to accomplish them) but I'm assuming that attitude will eventually change. Unless the plot is actually bad and that doesn't happen. I think its fine to be grossed out about where the story went with this, but it's not like it's gratuitous imo, the plot beats are directly related to the main theme of the show.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Denji has agency but his wants and needs are very simple and his entire motivation at this point is to maintain the lifestyle he has.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah so to clarify my opinion isn't that that kind of subject matter can't be used or presented in a story, but if you do broach that subject matter you have to be really careful and tactful about it or it's really bad really fast. And csm didn't quite hit that bar, so instead of being the good kind of uncomfortable (empathetic to the characters involved and their position in the story) it's the bad kind of uncomfortable (too acutely aware that this is fiction so a human being decided to include this material for reasons that might not be purely how well it fits the story being told)

You know, like the old discussion of including rape as a plot point in stories. It's not that it can't be done, but if you do it you better do it pretty loving well. That subject matter is held to a different standard.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 2, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It sounds like Chainsaw Man is just No More Heroes 1

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ninjewtsu posted:

That subject matter is held to a different standard.

Passive voice doing some heavy lifting there to universalize your opinion.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Do you disagree with the rest of that paragraph that sentence was a concise summary of?

I didn't realize it was a controversial position but if so sure, I guess that's a matter of taste

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

im thinking maybe you should know more than a quarter of the source material before arguing that the uncomfortable bits were ultimately handled poorly

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

that being said id have to read back but i do think MAPPA may have upped it a bit but like, that was inevitable wrt anime filling in gaps between panels

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I think I disagree with the fundamental premise of your position

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

symbolic posted:

im thinking maybe you should know more than a quarter of the source material before arguing that the uncomfortable bits were ultimately handled poorly

Can't say I'm a fan of the idea of schrodinger's underaged sexual manipulation themes either! How far do I have to go before the inclusion of that material stops being "trust me, it'll be good later"? When am I allowed to possess an opinion on if I find its usage unsavory in these earlier scenes?

How much benefit of the doubt am I expected to extend on this?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i am taking the word "grooming" away from you and putting it on a tall shelf

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Extremely glad I’m not American

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

i am taking the word "grooming" away from you and putting it on a tall shelf

ninjewtsu posted:

:confused: I'm not using that word anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

You know, like the old discussion of including rape as a plot point in stories. It's not that it can't be done, but if you do it you better do it pretty loving well.
tbh i think people are insanely precious about this to the point its uncomfortable and weird

i mean im not saying it cant be handled poorly but id rather a messy and kinda weird depiction of it over none at all so long as it feels like theres at least some attempt to characterize the victim